Page 831 of 1084 FirstFirst ... 826 827 828 829 830 831 832 833 834 835 836 ... LastLast
Results 20,751 to 20,775 of 27076
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Jezuz. People move to jobs. There are a shitload less jobs in the midwest than there were thirty years ago. That's why RE is cheap. Not everyone is like the TGR elite and can work from the back of any Starbucks.
    For the past 5yrs (and maybe more) some of the jobs have been moving to the people. Bay area firms no longer can fill jobs in their region and have rapidly expanded to exploit talent pools in other smaller cities - Seattle, Portland, Austin, Dallas, etc. are exploding with satellite offices opening up. I don't have a contact in the midwest, but perhaps there too?

You just listed the cities jobs and people are moving to. They ain't moving to Detroit, even with the fire sale of RE.

Real Estate Crash thread

More than just ‘’the elite’’ work remote these days, boomer.

You just listed the cities jobs and people are moving to. They ain't moving to Detroit, even with the fire sale of RE.
    Yes, and you said people were moving to where the jobs were. I pointed out some companies that are based and have a majority of employees in the Bay Area that decided to bring jobs to where the talent was going because the Bay Area was no longer a big draw. They were TAKING JOBS TO where the people were going or were already. And yes....it just happens to NOT be detroit...because there is little tech talent in Detroit.

APPLE came to Portland specifically to steal INTEL CPU talent. Others followed.

Quote Originally Posted by Self Jupiter View Post
    More than just ‘’the elite’’ work remote these days, boomer.
    So, you dont consider yourself as elite as your Porsche owning colleagues and bosses, I assume. But, I'll bet, much more elite than the people who deliver food and shit to your door.

Who said I was talking about myself? FFS.

Quote Originally Posted by sirbumpsalot View Post
    Yes, and you said people were moving to where the jobs were. I pointed out some companies that are based and have a majority of employees in the Bay Area that decided to bring jobs to where the talent was going because the Bay Area was no longer a big draw. They were TAKING JOBS TO where the people were going or were already. And yes....it just happens to NOT be detroit...because there is little tech talent in Detroit.

APPLE came to Portland specifically to steal INTEL CPU talent. Others followed.
    Trust me, there would suddenly be a ton of "tech talent" in Detroit if Apple and Amazon announced a major move there. But Bezos and Tim Cook dont want to live or spend time in Detroit.

Remember that stupid contest that Bezos started between cities for a new headquarters? Of course NY won, with DC as a secondary. Like he was going to spend time in Toledo? But he got the tax break anyhow.

Trust me, there would suddenly be a ton of "tech talent" in Detroit if Apple and Amazon announced a major move there. But Bezos and Tim Cook dont want to live or spend time in Detroit.

Remember that stupid contest that Bezos started between cities for a new headquarters? Of course NY won, with DC as a secondary. Like he was going to spend time in Toledo? But he got the tax break anyhow.
    Huh? You really think Bezos and Cook want to go to Portland? I would almost bet they've never been to those Satellite centers and probably never will.

And knowing how the industry works...no...they don't pick a city and HOPE the talent comes. They research where the talent is and cherry pick them from other firms after locating there. They want a sure thing....which is why they are successful.

Look Benny, I was not trying to argue what you were posting...just provide that a few companies have been bucking the trend in an attempt to find good workers.

Real Estate Crash thread

Quote Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
    Lots of jobs in the Midwest, fuckface. Tech, engineering, manufacturing, healthcare, construction, food and beverage, hotels, etc, etc…..you fucking gomer.
    How dare you argue with the real estate expert of TGR, bunny has lived in and is the acknowledged expert on every locale in the US, Europe and probably Asia if you cared to ask.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

Jezuz. People move to jobs. There are a shitload less jobs in the midwest than there were thirty years ago. That's why RE is cheap. Not everyone is like the TGR elite and can work from the back of any Starbucks.
    Amazing. Bless your heart.

Huh? You really think Bezos and Cook want to go to Portland? I would almost bet they've never been to those Satellite centers and probably never will.

And knowing how the industry works...no...they don't pick a city and HOPE the talent comes. They research where the talent is and cherry pick them from other firms after locating there. They want a sure thing....which is why they are successful.

Look Benny, I was not trying to argue what you were posting...just provide that a few companies have been bucking the trend in an attempt to find good workers.
    Listen, c'mon. You and I arent privy to company data, but, you seem to imply that the majority of people working for these firms are from Seattle or "the Bay Area". Like, born and raised? It's in the water? I'll bet most are first attracted to and lucky enough to get into Stanford, and then a hop and a skip over to Cupertino. Like the kids that are lucky enough to get into MIT and other high end Boston schools, and stick around to work out on the 128 corridor.
    So maybe we're talking about good schools first. Like Pittsburgh, which should be a shithole like Gary, but the smart people at Carnegie Mellon saved it.

AMZN tech workers were born in India

Real Estate Crash thread

Listen, c'mon. You and I arent privy to company data, but, you seem to imply that the majority of people working for these firms are from Seattle or "the Bay Area". Like, born and raised? It's in the water? I'll bet most are first attracted to and lucky enough to get into Stanford, and then a hop and a skip over to Cupertino. Like the kids that are lucky enough to get into MIT and other high end Boston schools, and stick around to work out on the 128 corridor.
    So maybe we're talking about good schools first. Like Pittsburgh, which should be a shithole like Gary, but the smart people at Carnegie Mellon saved it.
    You’re the concentrated embodiment of neoliberalism. Stunning. Bless your heart.

Shiite no. There are not enough admission spots at Standford/MIT to fill the need of these companies. The vast majority are from the likes of Purdue, Virginia Tech, Florida U, Michigan Tech - Houghton, Arizona St, Cal State Long Beach, etc...you name it....you know the universities of the "masses". The bulk of the hiring is not based on the "top schools", they are based on the best skill set and culture fit. A top school is merely a bonus.

And I am privy to this data....I live in it and make hiring decisions.

I wish satellites could and would move to a place like Detroit, but I don't hold out hopes unless a talent pool develops on its own. The chicken and egg problem. Not to say there isn't tech talent...just not in the industry of the METAVERSE!

Shiite no. There are not enough admission spots at Standford/MIT to fill the need of these companies. The vast majority are from the likes of Purdue, Virginia Tech, Florida U, Michigan Tech - Houghton, Arizona St, Cal State Long Beach, etc...you name it....you know the universities of the "masses". The bulk of the hiring is not based on the "top schools", they are based on the best skill set and culture fit. A top school is merely a bonus.

And I am privy to this data....I live in it and make hiring decisions.

I wish satellites could and would move to a place like Detroit, but I don't hold out hopes unless a talent pool develops on its own. The chicken and egg problem. Not to say there isn't tech talent...just not in the industry of the METAVERSE!
    Well, fine. They come to the cool towns from all over the country, because that's where the jobs are. That was my point.

Well, fine. They come to the cool towns from all over the country, because that's where the jobs are. That was my point.
    You are right Benny...the jobs were always there...just had to wait for the workers to show up...lol.

Real Estate Crash thread

The male Hillary, folks! BLESS HIS HEART!

plenty of people bail on summit county for the mid west
    usually they aren't into "skiing and outdoor pursuits" anymore so living in a gaper filled shit hole where everyone is trying to one up each other like summit county isn't really worth it for them
    plus they sell and move to ohio or indiana and by 3-20 acres nice housed instead of cramped condo or an hour long commute over a pass and it fits their needs they don't need a ski area they don't need trails out the door
    I know one couple who retired and couldn't wait to get out and move back to the mid west
    bought their home 25 years ago for around 350k sold it for over 3 million so that worked out well for their midwest ranch purchase

Quote Originally Posted by fastfred View Post
    plenty of people bail on summit county for the mid west
    usually they aren't into "skiing and outdoor pursuits" anymore so living in a gaper filled shit hole where everyone is trying to one up each other like summit county isn't really worth it for them
    plus they sell and move to ohio or indiana and by 3-20 acres nice housed instead of cramped condo or an hour long commute over a pass and it fits their needs they don't need a ski area they don't need trails out the door
    I know one couple who retired and couldn't wait to get out and move back to the mid west
    bought their home 25 years ago for around 350k sold it for over 3 million so that worked out well for their midwest ranch purchase
    I forget where it was, but there was an article about Boise, and they were interviewing a dude who just sold his house to a retired SF cop (ahem) for 900 grand and he was moving to Illinois for the same. 3 acres and a big profit. Money flows.

You are right Benny...the jobs were always there...just had to wait for the workers to show up...lol.
    Sirderpsalot clearly knows how easy it’s been to recruit for positions in west bumfuck, klanistan.

I forget where it was, but there was an article about Boise, and they were interviewing a dude who just sold his house to a retired SF cop (ahem) for 900 grand and he was moving to Illinois for the same. 3 acres and a big profit. Money flows.
    I think about doing it every day cashing in big moving somewhere cheep and living like a pimp
    then I realize how much I love the mountain town lifestyle the small town feel ski lifts and trails out the door plus tons of shitty bars and resturnats to choose from all the boss things that come with living in a resort mountain town so giving it all up to live in the midwest or even the east coast/north east well I'd prefer to shoot myself in the feet

Well, doubtful that guy was a skier or outdoorsy.

Everyone I know that's done the cost-effective move to the midwest is now super frustrated about the lack of culture, restaurants and smart people. The bass-ackwards political stances around gay people etc. don't help either.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post
    When I lived in Indiana Pre-1983 they had a slogan on the license plates that declared Wander Indiana. Their slogans haven't improved.
    Crossroads of America!

I moved from a Western town to the Eastern version and upgraded everything but snow totals. So far I'm digging it.
    Live Free or Die