Page 315 of 1076 FirstFirst ... 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 ... LastLast
Results 7,851 to 7,875 of 26889
    Quote Originally Posted by schuss View Post
    It's only the tip of the iceberg. Compliance reqs around employee info are getting more restrictive (due to gdpr and similar laws) so companies that have it together or are large and have to deal with it anyway will be fine and everyone else will stay non-remote.
    Also data ingress/egress becomes problematic for international living as you're instantly subject to those regs or gov snooping on your traffic. Russia, for example, requires all info on Russian employees to stay in-country.
    Seems like with a reasonable VDI infrastructure, this should be a non-issue? You login via VPN and connect to a remote desktop located "physically" in the U.S... would anyone GAF?

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Seems like with a reasonable VDI infrastructure, this should be a non-issue? You login via VPN and connect to a remote desktop located "physically" in the U.S... would anyone GAF?
    Depends on classification in the privacy laws (resident vs work performed in). Also vdis suck ass due to latency issues.
    Also doesn't help the gov sniffing issue, as there's certain countries you don't want your traffic running through.

<snip> Also vdis suck ass due to latency issues.
    I can assure you, they are WAY better than having to go into an office every day.

As Millenials and Gen-Z start to take over senior mgmt, director, and exec positions, I *believe* we will see even more flexibility with regards to jobs that can be done outside of a "standard" office environment.

Which may start to help address a lot of the "big city is the only place to get good employment" issues.

Or so I hope.
    One of my employees moved across the country because his GF got a dream job. I went to bat for him and got him approved to work remote from his new location. After a lot of back and forth with my boss and our CFO I also got him approved for us to pay for office space for him. Response was "fine, but he'll never get a promotion working remote".

Dude kicked ass this year and I got him approved for a promotion and a 33% pay increase.

My dream is to go remote as well. Being in the office is often a gigantic waste of time.

Edit- I'm a millennial. I hate my office despite the free food and booze. Commuting sucks too.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevo View Post
    One of my employees moved across the country because his GF got a dream job. I went to bat for him and got him approved to work remote from his new location. After a lot of back and forth with my boss and our CFO I also got him approved for us to pay for office space for him. Response was "fine, but he'll never get a promotion working remote".

Dude kicked ass this year and I got him approved for a promotion and a 33% pay increase.

My dream is to go remote as well. Being in the office is often a gigantic waste of time.

Edit- I'm a millennial. I hate my office despite the free food and booze. Commuting sucks too.
    Does he actually use the office space you pay for? Or do you pay *him* to create office space in his house/apt/whatever?

Why sure - but since they *are* terrible at it (culture and communication) you may as well be terrible at it with remote employees.

Perhaps mgmt will *also* start to ditch PTO like many companies are starting to do... seems like an easy way around state requirements.
    ignoring that shit worked in 2010s, I'm not sure it'll work in the 2020s because the money is getting large enough orgs & governments & lawyers start to care.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevo View Post

Boomers have always loved working in offices and commuting.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    And they LOVE to have people physically in an office so they can "keep an eye on them" from my experience. That's why they will need to be replaced in those director/exec spots for remote work to *really* get some traction.

millenials love offices if you make it feel like college - isn't that the whole wework thing? Apples campus, facebooks campus, googles campus? commutings fine if you call it an uberride or a techbus with wifi.

if remote works the thing.. why do people still cluster for tech industry jobs?

I can assure you, they are WAY better than having to go into an office every day.
    I worked remote for two years. It's ok, but I like seeing people and being able to actively whiteboard stuff etc.
    I could do it again, but already have a sweet deal going in a good location so can't complain.

I worked remote for two years. It's ok, but I like seeing people and being able to actively whiteboard stuff etc.
    Yeah - remote is def not "one size fits all" but, after working remotely for over 3-1/2 years nearly exclusively, I gotta say... I may be ruined for going to an office and seeing people. Then again, my boss is in Nebraska, my U.S. colleagues are in AZ, WA, NE, etc. so we've figured out how to make it work...

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    <snip>
    Maybe because a lot of people still like being around people? Them youngsters will get over that.

Does he actually use the office space you pay for? Or do you pay *him* to create office space in his house/apt/whatever?
    Yeah, we got him an office in a WeWork so he could be social if he wants to be. Contract is coming up at the end of the year and we'll revisit to see if he wants to keep it.

Why even have an office?

For the same reason you have a bathroom, to do your business in an orderly fashion. A place to keep toothpaste a toilet paper.
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

I don't get it. Most people have a nice setup at home. Sounds like it sucks at a WeWork. Bunch of millenials jabbering away while you're trying to get something done, all buzzed on espresso and beer.

Real Estate Crash thread

Most of the activity in my office is time spent trying to teach boomers how to use our tech

And they LOVE to have people physically in an office so they can "keep an eye on them" from my experience. That's why they will need to be replaced in those director/exec spots for remote work to *really* get some traction.
    So does Zuckerberg. Remember his failed remote policy?

Quote Originally Posted by Self Jupiter View Post
    Most of the activity in my office is trying to teach boomers how to use our tech
    If "your" tech is so complicated that it's hard to learn for people that have been using computers for about thirty years, than your tech sucks.

I don't get it. Most people have a nice setup at home. Sounds like it sucks at a WeWork. Bunch of millenials jabbering away while you're trying to get something done, all buzzed on espresso and beer.
    I think offices are probably good for single people looking to get laid. Other than that - yeah, they seem to be a place where people waste a lot of time.

If "your" tech is so complicated that it's hard to learn for people that have been using computers for about thirty years, than your tech sucks.
    Untrue. Boomers are REALLY bad, IME, at figuring technology shit out. Anything new? Can't figure it out. And the only constant, especially in IT, is change.

In your defense, though, almost all tech kinda sucks. It's really nice to occasionally (rarely?) come across some technology that's really good (i.e. just works).

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    millenials love offices if you make it feel like college - isn't that the whole wework thing? Apples campus, facebooks campus, googles campus? commutings fine if you call it an uberride or a techbus with wifi.

It's hard to have a cult without a campus.

Untrue. Boomers are REALLY bad, IME, at figuring technology shit out. Anything new? Can't figure it out. And the only constant, especially in IT, is change.

In your defense, though, almost all tech kinda sucks. It's really nice to occasionally (rarely?) come across some technology that's really good (i.e. just works).

I honestly do not believe working remote is ever going to gain any more traction than it has already, at least in the sense that you can go live wherever you want with basically zero face time. There are only so many positions that can accommodate that realistically. I do think that in the next 20 years you will see a shift towards a hybrid type model where you can work from home 2-3 days a week at most while still being at the office for meetings, sales, etc.

There are several factors for this, whether it is efficiency, productivity, or just inherent human nature in that we are social creatures. Plus anyone who has managed people before knows at least some of them are going to slack off.
    Live Free or Die

I think offices are probably good for single people looking to get laid. Other than that - yeah, they seem to be a place where people waste a lot of time.
    Oh boy. Listen, young man, I really hope you have your job forever , (haha, forever is like five years these days), because bragging about your glorious life in the mountains while you're happy that somebody gets all the work at the home office, and then, if you are in an office, plot to screw the girls, a really really smart move, especially in these MeToo days, is a really really bad life plan. Unless, of course, you are a walking talking product of nepotism. Or just waiting for your inheritance.

At least you can get fired by email. No, awkward, please come down to conference room B with your key card.