Page 862 of 1084 FirstFirst ... 857 858 859 860 861 862 863 864 865 866 867 ... LastLast
Results 21,526 to 21,550 of 27076
    https://www.nber.org/papers/w30041
    What explains record U.S. house price growth since late 2019? We show that the shift to remote work explains over one half of the 23.8 percent national house price increase over this period.
    probably higher in some areas

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    https://www.nber.org/papers/w30041

probably higher in some areas
    Yup, Mammoth up about 100% since 2019. WFH is the only explanation i can see

So why aren't prices going down wherever all these WFH people are moving away from? Something seems out of balance.

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    So why aren't prices going down wherever all these WFH people are moving away from? Something seems out of balance.
    rents dropped a lot in a bunch of big city’s - they are heading up now though. Think of it as shifting the home demand curve forward

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    One man's trash is another man's treasure....

One explanation I recently read was that with WFH, people are less willing to live with roommates. As those split up, there's more people fighting for the same number of places. Not sure this has an outsized impact, but I know of multiple people who moved to solo places so they could have room to work.

Quote Originally Posted by phatty View Post
    One explanation I recently read was that with WFH, people are less willing to live with roommates. As those split up, there's more people fighting for the same number of places. Not sure this has an outsized impact, but I know of multiple people who moved to solo places so they could have room to work.
    In contrast, over the past year and a half there has been a remarkable rebound in the headship rate, driven in large part by a return to the pre-pandemic rates at which younger adults lived with parents or older family members. This rebound has been an important contributor to a huge increase in housing demand.

https://www.calculatedriskblog.com/2...rt-ii.html?m=1

You know what’s risky? Posting in any color but white when 90% of us old farts read this on the dark blue background.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

its anoying so try L click & mouse on the text to highlight it in white
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    You know what’s risky? Posting in any color but white when 90% of us old farts read this on the dark blue background.
    Plus I and I'm assuming other android users read it on a black background.

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    this

Looks like the average rate for 30 year mortgages fell .15% https://finance.yahoo.com/news/us-mo...140000735.html

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Quote Originally Posted by sirbumpsalot View Post
    One man's trash is another man's treasure....
    Partly this. Some people moved from places like NYC to the "country" in NJ/Hudson Valley etc. Those people filled the homes sold by people who moved out west etc.

Quote Originally Posted by pepperdawg View Post
    this
    Tried reposting with edited color but didn’t work on the first try, so I’m giving up. Good luck y’all!

The supply of homes for sale jumped 9% last week compared with the same week one year ago, according to Realtor.com.

Real estate brokerage Redfin also reported that new listings rose nearly twice as fast in the four weeks ended May 15 as they did during the same period a year ago.

Pending home sales, a measure of signed contracts on existing homes, dropped nearly 4% in April, month to month and were down just over 9% from April 2021, according to the National Association of Realtors.

^Supply is going up by a bit, demand is dropping by a bit but list prices seem to be at all time highs just about everywhere.

The increase in the headship rate mentioned in the calculated risk blog above is an interesting factor related to the pandemic.

A factor that I haven't seen addressed in media coverage is the eviction moratorium. I believe that the eviction moratorium contributed to a significant amount of rent increases because it artificially reduced the supply of available rentals for an extended period of time.

Any landlord who had an available property was able to charge very high rent during the moratorium, which set the bar high for when the moratorium ended and the natural rental turnover cycle started again.

The increased yield on rentals helps pencil out increased valuations for any properties that are for sale. Mortgage rates are obviously another major variable (inversely proportional) in the valuation calculation equation.

"The housing market is sending clearer signals that the pandemic-driven housing frenzy is coming to an end. Nearly one in five (19.1%) home sellers dropped their price during the four week period ending May 22—the highest level since October 2019" $RDFN

Kevo, for the most case, current rents do not support a purchase with 30% down and a break even cash flow, which is the historical norm. Based on inflated rents, prices are to damn high.

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    Kevo, for the most case, current rents do not support a purchase with 30% down and a break even cash flow, which is the historical norm. Based on inflated rents, prices are to damn high.
    Good to know about the historical norm.

With rents in many places being 20% or 30% higher than they were 2.5 years ago, wouldn't it help prop up the bottom in a correction? Or would you expect rental defaults during a down economy nullify the effects of increased rental yields?

Redfin CEO says move up market is dead unless all cash. Also, escape markets like Sacramento and Seattle suburbs are showing weakness and price reductions

Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    Redfin CEO says move up market is dead unless all cash. Also, escape markets like Sacramento and Seattle suburbs are showing weakness and price reductions
    Anecdotally have not seen in my Seattle suburb. Buddies house just sold for over asking with multiple offers in under 4 days on market. Still hearing similar stories from friends in the market buying or selling. I suspect the further out suburbs (Maple Valley, Duval, Snohomish, etc.) would see it first, though.

Same with the good houses in my escape hood. Still go in one weekend

Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    "The housing market is sending clearer signals that the pandemic-driven housing frenzy is coming to an end. Nearly one in five (19.1%) home sellers dropped their price during the four week period ending May 22—the highest level since October 2019" $RDFN
    .. My siblings and I dropped the price for a farmet that we inherited from my dad. Much more of a buyers market now where I live in Northern Illinois
    what's so funny about peace, love, and understanding?

Quote Originally Posted by Kevo View Post
    Good to know about the historical norm.

With rents in many places being 20% or 30% higher than they were 2.5 years ago, wouldn't it help prop up the bottom in a correction? Or would you expect rental defaults during a down economy nullify the effects of increased rental yields?
    Historically no, the rents do not prop up the values if people are running for the door
    In fact, the rents may decline a bit depending on available inventory.
    Everything gets expensive with lack of inventory and then cheaper when the buyers disappear. Just a fact of life.
    Outlying areas always correct first and then the closer in areas may start to see the effects of weaker demand
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    Outlying areas always correct first and then the closer in areas may start to see the effects of weaker demand
    This will be the first downtrend post-WFH era....will be interesting to see how things work out now that there is no longer a "desire" to be "closer-in" to workplaces.

Maybe Bozeman and Tahoe will keep going up?