Page 991 of 1076 FirstFirst ... 986 987 988 989 990 991 992 993 994 995 996 ... LastLast
Results 24,751 to 24,775 of 26885
    Quote Originally Posted by altasnob View Post
    . I don't think America can thrive and be competitive with the rest of the world if we are all sitting in our underwear on our couch in Jackson.
    I feel attacked.

Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by summit View Post
    What about redoing codes to make it not so prohibitive?
    Seem like a lot more just general logistics than code making it difficult. Like going from one bathroom/kitchen per floor to four or five, different power and lighting, etc.

Sure you could maybe skimp on fire codes or something, but do you really want to burn a place to the ground to save 2% in the costs? (Ok developers would definitely do that…)

The only way converting office bldg to condo/apt bldg pencils out is if you get state/federal funds to subsidize it. And of course the tax bill goes to those that actually pay taxes. If the goal is just to provide more affordable housing, converting office towers to apts. is not the answer.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Quote Originally Posted by Jax View Post
    Well on the bright side there sure are a lot of used converted sprinter vans and the like hitting the market. Three with for sale signs in my neighborhood, plus two of them for sale across from the post office. Makes me smile.
    Lots of HELOCs with resetting rates are ruining the can life dream.
    Live Free or Die

Quote Originally Posted by Flounder View Post
    Somehow Canada is managing to turn vacant office towers into residential. Then again they’ve been able to figure out universal health care and gun regulations.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...tial-1.6816052
    But then you would have to live in Calgary.

Office towers might not be easily converted to residential, but I would think large downtown hotels that formerly catered to business travelers would be a much easier conversion.

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    Can't say I know what the "can life" is... but color me intrigued.

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    Office towers might not be easily converted to residential, but I would think large downtown hotels that formerly catered to business travelers would be a much easier conversion.
    Multiple hotels in ski country are being converted into housing... which is both weird when you could restrict STRs instead, but also this is what the market seems to want.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Can't say I know what the "can life" is... but color me intrigued.

“Kush”

Name:  015DE251-E88A-4A93-9670-91C95D408707.jpeg
Views: 365
Size:  92.7 KB

Multiple hotels in ski country are being converted into housing... which is both weird when you could restrict STRs instead, but also this is what the market seems to want.
    AirBnB turning into an absolute dumpster fire for renters is going to fuck with ski town STRs hard. I refuse to use them anymore because of how bad it's gotten.

Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    AirBnB turning into an absolute dumpster fire for renters is going to fuck with ski town STRs hard. I refuse to use them anymore because of how bad it's gotten.
    How so? I use them like once a year and not in ski towns
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    They have been doing that for awhile. I like what they did with the old hotel by Mile High.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

How so? I use them like once a year and not in ski towns
    The ridiculous cleaning fees and checkout procedures, inflated prices, cancellations close to your trip dates without any help rebooking, and bunch of other small annoyances. For me it's almost always easier and cheaper to get a hotel unless it's a big group.

Quote Originally Posted by mud View Post
    They have been doing that for awhile. I like what they did with the old hotel by Mile High.
    Yeah, so it seems strange to me that these large hotels in San Fran are defaulting on their debt instead of converting to residential.

I can't imagine what the ROI on converting a place in SF would be, I bet it would be decades, if ever before they saw a profit.

Well on the bright side there sure are a lot of used converted sprinter vans and the like hitting the market. Three with for sale signs in my neighborhood, plus two of them for sale across from the post office. Makes me smile.
    LOL

I would guess that 50% of the van buyers have some fantasy in their head about how awesome van life is then they try it out with that 200k investment and realize it's not for them
    just like rvs and travel trailers they just sit around mostly unused
    specially when you have kids of course Dad is all like "me and my rad family gonna camp" but the kids want to play sports and mom doesn't want to drop a duce a few feet from where she lays her head

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    heloc like wtf
    house is a piggy bank
    yeah I see that causing some issues
    specially if property values take a 20% haircut in the next 12 months

I think the realtor jumped the gun in posting this listing.

A few minutes later it had been replaced with real photos.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Those variable interest rates hitting folks hard huh? 20 year RV loans? Or are these people cashing out on home builds?

Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    Those variable interest rates hitting folks hard huh? 20 year RV loans? Or are these people cashing out on home builds?
    Maybe they paid for a van with a HELOC? Maybe they planned on owning it for a short time? Maybe Lumburg called them back to the office? Maybe their Crypto got crushed? Maybe their STR(s) isn't doing so good.

Even smart people do dumb shit with money. Keeping up with the Jones' has gone next level with the socials. You really don't know who's really got the cheddar and who's just holding on.

My parents tried to teach me early on to NEVER purchase anything you don’t absolutely need on credit if you can help it.
    My CPA wife did teach me that there are some exceptions, but those lessons were later in life.
    (Mortgages, arbitrage, 0 percent financing, etc).
    I generally feel sorry for the people you see with all of the toys that you know they owe on, but some folks can’t see a more prosperous future, (or crushing depreciation) so they are living for the experiential now, consequences be damned.

Lots of money to be made in the lending business.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

^^ interesting graphs
    and there is no bubble to be popped? somebody is smoking dope
    I'm going to smoke a bowl and go for a ride been just a bit high strung this week

maybe I need to sell now before it really pops I really could use a million in equity to pay off my credit cards

Fun Fact: Your credit card debt dies with you.

Double secret Fun Fact: Medical collections don't count against you when buying a home.

Surely there must be safeguards against people with terminal illnesses racking up big debts buying things for surviving family/friends, or suicide?

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Surely there must be safeguards against people with terminal illnesses racking up big debts buying things for surviving family/friends, or suicide?
    Seems like death is a big enough punishment for those crimes