Page 615 of 675 FirstFirst ... 610 611 612 613 614 615 616 617 618 619 620 ... LastLast
Results 15,351 to 15,375 of 16852
  1. #15351
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    At the beach
    Posts
    15,649
    Quote Originally Posted by Toadman View Post
    At least the number of people able to afford 10% down takes longer and doesn't go very far.
    That is why we offered to let the girls live at home for a few years to save money and then matched what they had saved. The kids need help buying that first place, especially in Coastal CA (within 20 miles of the beach).
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

  2. #15352
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    5,607
    Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    That is why we offered to let the girls live at home for a few years to save money and then matched what they had saved. The kids need help buying that first place, especially in Coastal CA (within 20 miles of the beach).
    Talking with a former college buddy who works in the Big Apple and has two girls. He says the same thing.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

  3. #15353
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    In a van... down by the river
    Posts
    7,631
    Kids can move to the Midwest. Housing seems to be much more sane there...


  4. #15354
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Big in Japan
    Posts
    47,762
    Lots of high paying jobs, too!

    The world is perfect. Appreciate the details.

  5. #15355
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    10,128
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Lots of high paying jobs, too!
    WFH!

  6. #15356
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,375
    Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Yeah, "out of existence" I don't know about, but generally speaking, STRs need to be regulated and taxed high enough that it will only work well for select properties.
    Yeah, I'd like to see a high "STR in residential neighborhood" tax in Portland, maybe phased in over 3-5 years so the owners don't all dump at the same time.

  7. #15357
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    2 hours from anything
    Posts
    8,931
    Quote Originally Posted by sirbumpsalot View Post
    Problem with arguing that the renter class should be in the home owner class is that a great number of them either do not have the money or they do not have the responsibility/care to upkeep a home. At least as renters the landlord keeps the house from becoming a wreck.
    What? Show me some data that supports renters and land lords take better care of homes and neighborhoods than home owners. Regardless of income.

  8. #15358
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,375
    Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    That's arguing that there is and should be limited upward mobility.

    Lots of people, myself included, rent on their way to being a homeowner and that path is facilitated by reasonable rent.
    Yeah, I imagine almost all homeowners rented before buying. Who leaves school and buys a house immediately?

  9. #15359
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    324
    the whole "renting allows for mobility" argument is pure bullshit pushed by the landlords which isn't surprising considering some of the dipshits balling their eyes out about not having a pot to piss in this thread. I've never seen a rental agreement where you can just pick up and move without paying a penalty of at least 2 months rent. are you really trying to argue that you can't sell your home if you don't like the house, neighborhood, city, or state? WTF?

  10. #15360
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    324
    Quote Originally Posted by sirbumpsalot View Post
    Problem with arguing that the renter class should be in the home owner class is that a great number of them either do not have the money or they do not have the responsibility/care to upkeep a home. At least as renters the landlord keeps the house from becoming a wreck.
    HA! Condos, sure. Apartment complexes, maybe. SFH rentals, the renters are usually responsible for cosmetic upkeep of the property.

  11. #15361
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    7,049
    I always chuckle when people say "oh the landlord will take care of that". Have they never rented before because that shit almost never gets taken care of IME unless its a major water leak or something that will only result in further financial problems for the landlord.
    Live Free or Die

  12. #15362
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    At the beach
    Posts
    15,649
    Quote Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
    the whole "renting allows for mobility" argument is pure bullshit pushed by the landlords which isn't surprising considering some of the dipshits balling their eyes out about not having a pot to piss in this thread. I've never seen a rental agreement where you can just pick up and move without paying a penalty of at least 2 months rent. are you really trying to argue that you can't sell your home if you don't like the house, neighborhood, city, or state? WTF?
    If your on a month to month you can give 30days notice anytime as a tenant. As the landlord you can only boot the tenant for cause, not just being a PITA to deal with. My next lease agreement will likely have all kinds of verbiage in "The Agreement" that addresses "if your a PITA" too.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

  13. #15363
    Join Date
    Dec 2020
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    526
    Quote Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
    the whole "renting allows for mobility" argument is pure bullshit pushed by the landlords which isn't surprising considering some of the dipshits balling their eyes out about not having a pot to piss in this thread. I've never seen a rental agreement where you can just pick up and move without paying a penalty of at least 2 months rent. are you really trying to argue that you can't sell your home if you don't like the house, neighborhood, city, or state? WTF?

    There are times when homes are not selling that may force someone to take a severe beating if they are forced to sell. Walking away from a lease even if you have to pay off the entire remaining lease can be much cheaper and easier. Landlords also have a duty to try to re-rent in cases where the tenant walks, of course they don't have to make a serious effort to do so.

  14. #15364
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    7,049
    Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Yeah, "out of existence" I don't know about, but generally speaking, STRs need to be regulated and taxed high enough that it will only work well for select properties.

    Using the market Foggy lives in, I have half a dozen friends I can think of off the top of my head that own second homes. Only 1 is in a location that is inherently STR, at the WP base. The others are all mostly in Fraser, in random condo complexes or small townhome groups. Not traditional resort lodging, just random housing in a nearby town. And most of them use their places here and there, and rent it out regularly during winter. And it doesn't take many weekends at $200-300/nt to make it worth it to continue using it that way. They get a place in the mountains, they get a bunch of expenses covered by renters, all with minimal cost to them. If the STR market was highly regulated and taxed heavily, no doubt some of them would not bother, and while a couple would still keep their place, for the rest the investment calculus would change dramatically.
    Yeah out of existence was embellishing a bit, but back to the level of second homes being rented pre-airbnb. You didn't see every other house in a residential neighborhood listed to rent like you do now anywhere remotely nice.
    Live Free or Die

  15. #15365
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    In a van... down by the river
    Posts
    7,631
    Quote Originally Posted by dan_pdx View Post
    Yeah, I imagine almost all homeowners rented before buying. Who leaves school and buys a house immediately?
    liv2ski's kids. In San Diego, no less. Near the beach.


  16. #15366
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Behind the Potato Curtain
    Posts
    3,716
    Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    Yeah out of existence was embellishing a bit, but back to the level of second homes being rented pre-airbnb. You didn't see every other house in a residential neighborhood listed to rent like you do now anywhere remotely nice.
    Unfortunately the Idaho Association of Realtors had other ideas for our hood and passed state law banning the regulation of STR's. Real forward thinking that bunch. Did ya see US Foods is no longer distributing to the valley, now even if a restaurant can staff they can't get food. Strange times.

  17. #15367
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    PRB
    Posts
    26,088
    Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    If your on a month to month you can give 30days notice anytime as a tenant. As the landlord you can only boot the tenant for cause, not just being a PITA to deal with. My next lease agreement will likely have all kinds of verbiage in "The Agreement" that addresses "if your a PITA" too.
    Maybe it's different in CA, but if it's a month to month lease, EITHER party can give notice and end the agreement. Here, it's actually not 30 days out for the LL (not sure about the tenant), it is 10 days before the lease term starts. Since the "lease term" is the next month, you have to give notice 10 days before that starts, so basically 40 days notice.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "I'd eat a bag of Dicks and wash it down with a Coke any day." - iceman

  18. #15368
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    7,049
    I realize there are some powerful lobbying groups that would advocate otherwise, and have done so successfully in the past. They will be the ones that scream.

    I don't think we've reached critical mass just yet to drown out their screams, but its coming, and soon.

    And the US Foods thing is just absurd. Those trucks roll through the valley as it is to bring stuff to Jackson. Tough route though. When I was in purchasing starting out my career I was always amazed at the Sysco dudes who would put in 11 hours driving up from Salt Lake and back daily. Their schedule started at like 3 in the morning, and they didn't get home until usually well after dinner. Of all the jobs to say fuck it, I think I'll just collect unemployment, that is probably one where I can see where they are coming from.
    Live Free or Die

  19. #15369
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    324
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopeless Sinner View Post
    There are times when homes are not selling that may force someone to take a severe beating if they are forced to sell. Walking away from a lease even if you have to pay off the entire remaining lease can be much cheaper and easier. Landlords also have a duty to try to re-rent in cases where the tenant walks, of course they don't have to make a serious effort to do so.
    Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    If your on a month to month you can give 30days notice anytime as a tenant. As the landlord you can only boot the tenant for cause, not just being a PITA to deal with. My next lease agreement will likely have all kinds of verbiage in "The Agreement" that addresses "if your a PITA" too.
    i'm talking about the blanket statements made here and in published articles about "actually renting is better because you can move if you want" bullshit peddled by landlords. whatever works for people on a case by case basis, go for it.

    Month to months are rare and offered at inflated prices. let's stop bringing exceptions to the vast majority of lease agreements and presenting them as the rule.

  20. #15370
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    PRB
    Posts
    26,088
    Quote Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
    Month to months are rare and offered at inflated prices. let's stop bringing exceptions to the vast majority of lease agreements and presenting them as the rule.
    month to months are common in one scenario. Around here and in most places, most leases convert to month to month when the lease term expires and isn't explicitly renewed. I rented a place for 5 years, it was month to month for the last 4 of those 5 years.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "I'd eat a bag of Dicks and wash it down with a Coke any day." - iceman

  21. #15371
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    324
    interesting. i guess living where no one wants to live has me biased. carry on you rich dickheads

  22. #15372
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    slc
    Posts
    14,170
    Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    month to months are common in one scenario. Around here and in most places, most leases convert to month to month when the lease term expires and isn't explicitly renewed. I rented a place for 5 years, it was month to month for the last 4 of those 5 years.
    The point is that you are normally locked in for at least a year, and people do frequently re-up the 12-month term so they don't have to worry about having to move out on 40 days notice. With the dearth of rentals right now it would stressful AF to be on a M2M agreement knowing that any day your landlord could tell you "Rent's going up 50%. Sign a new 12-month lease at that rate or be out in 40 days."

  23. #15373
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    10,128
    I used to rent a place for $200 per month, month to month, name wasn’t on the lease, house had no running water, but the views were worth millions. Saved up enough money to travel and ski in NZ for three months. Went Heli skiing a few times too. Now that’s upward mobility!

  24. #15374
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Sandy, Utah
    Posts
    13,557
    maybe im old, but I was always told homeownership was one of the first steps in a "secure" financial future, and kinda what you did when you became an "adult".
    I bought my first house when I was 25. All out of my own pocket. Have had 3 subsequent houses over the next 25 years. Some made more, some made less, but none did I ever lose on.

    Biggest mistake I ever made was essentially giving my ex wife the multi family we owned. Give me back the down payment (came from me), and get me off the mortgage. House would be a huge money maker now (1997 purchase). Busy ass town (morristown nj), close to trains (walking), close to town (also walking). Probably get $1500 for the 1bed/1bath downstairs unit, and $2500 for the 2 bedroom/1 bath, 2 story unit upstairs. The first mortgage would be for sure paid by now and it would all be profit. I thought I was being nice and giving "karma"...fuck that noise...i fucked up..oh well live and learn.
    http://www.firsttracksonline.com

    I wish i could be like SkiFishBum

  25. #15375
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    panhandle locdog
    Posts
    7,153
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1624293911402.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	190.7 KB 
ID:	377605

    "There's never been a better time to buy!!"

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •