Page 850 of 1084 FirstFirst ... 845 846 847 848 849 850 851 852 853 854 855 ... LastLast
Results 21,226 to 21,250 of 27076
    Missoula was awesome, now I'm not so sure.

What hes saying is the west was once a world of rugged individualism where people worked low paying dead end jobs in exchange for a lifestyle it worked pretty well until the internet peoples realized they could buy into a lifestyle instead of actually earning it meanwhile shitheads like me cash in and sell put and we make bank jerking people off in neighbor hoods like this one om sitting in right now

Sent from my SM-A426U using Tapatalk

What I love about this is it implies being a stoned dishwasher is somehow more noble than a career. Mmmhmmmmm

Quote Originally Posted by schuss View Post
    What I love about this is it implies being a stoned dishwasher is somehow more noble than a career. Mmmhmmmmm
    isn’t Fred proof you can turned a stoned dishwasher act into a career out west? If he’d stayed in upstate he’d be registered

I'm thinking of moving from a professional "career" to being a stoned dishwasher. Sounds like a simpler life...

Quote Originally Posted by RoooR View Post
    So... we agree then? Cleveland sucks and Missoula is awesome?
    If the choice is those 2, sure. Similar to, "the only 5 star restaurant in town since the Bowling Alley burned down".
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post
    If the choice is those 2, sure. Similar to, "the only 5 star restaurant in town since the Bowling Alley burned down".
    Heh.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    I'm thinking of moving from a professional "career" to being a stoned dishwasher. Sounds like a simpler life...
    Yeah, but you would never be able to give them a committed schedule, or whether or not you would show up…
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Yeah, but you would never be able to give them a committed schedule, or whether or not you would show up…
    Isn't that acceptable in the stoned-dishwasher realm?

"I thought this place was supposed to be 5 star?!"

"Nah, dude ... I said 5 pin!"

A colleague and I were just discussing today that being a utility locator sounds better every day. Probably pays pretty well these days.

its what you do when your not sipping cheep beer smoking weed out back and cleaning peoples plates of gluttony that matters

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    isn’t Fred proof you can turned a stoned dishwasher act into a career out west? If he’d stayed in upstate he’d be registered
    never worked in a resturant but I was a stoned framer framed up so many houses high as a fucking kite one time I wasn't sure if the sawzall blade had gone through the mess up I was cutting out so I gave it a reach around and grabed the blade I couldn't see and sure enough I made it through and shredded my hand pretty good

and yeah one day I did wake up in my thirties and realized so many morons were contractors and I said I could do that the rest is history my clients love me

right there with you can't wait to be the greeter at the super wal mart in junction

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    A colleague and I were just discussing today that being a utility locator sounds better every day. Probably pays pretty well these days.
    $19 an hour in Gypsum

my take away is that you can make bank jerking people off in semi-affluent neighborhoods.

there's always an angle.

Quote Originally Posted by CarlMega View Post
    my take away is that you can make bank jerking people off in semi-affluent neighborhoods.

there's always an angle.
    only if you are a 20 something female with fake tits and dsl

or a fat forty year old bear like Beatahflake

Only for a while unless you're really good at it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mazderati View Post
    Bingo.

Quote Originally Posted by fastfred View Post

and yeah one day I did wake up in my thirties and realized so many morons were contractors and I said I could do that the rest is history my clients love me
    Colorado, for those who are not aware, has no licensing requirements for "contractors". It's an interesting model. Let the market decide who is good enough to succeed.

Here in NV (and most other states) we have a strong cartel (Contractors' Board) which is empowered by state law to punish those who dare to flaunt its rule. In order to be a member one must pass a (not particularly easy) test and pay dues. One also has to have minimal debt and roughly $50k in the bank. Most of the stoned framers can't get that together, so the club stays exclusive. I've never been very convinced that it does a better job than the market would at protecting consumers--but that's not the idea, is it?
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

People in Montana in the '80s used to be embarrassed to admit they worked a candyass desk job. But the fact was you could make a lot more money in the trades back then. I had a friend who worked one of the first "tech" jobs in Missoula, mapping out bus and emergency vehicle routes for cities all over the country. They paid those poor suckers like six or seven bucks an hour. I was making three times that in the painter's union. But he wanted to sit at a desk rather than get his hands dirty.

The sentiment stuck with me. I've been working a candyass desk job for 15 years now and I'm still embarrassed to admit it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Heh, I was thinking about that this week: I saw a lost-looking 20 something female driving around our neighborhood erratically. New Rav-4, dog out the window, just-moved-to-CO stickers and general vibe going on. Turns out she was the locator for new construction next door. Seems like an ok gig if she can survive and drive a new car around here.

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    People in Montana in the '80s used to be embarrassed to admit they worked a candyass desk job. But the fact was you could make a lot more money in the trades back then. I had a friend who worked one of the first "tech" jobs in Missoula, mapping out bus and emergency vehicle routes for cities all over the country. They paid those poor suckers like six or seven bucks an hour. I was making three times that in the painter's union. But he wanted to sit at a desk rather than get his hands dirty.

The sentiment stuck with me. I've been working a candyass desk job for 15 years now and I'm still embarrassed to admit it.
    The whole anti-intellectual culture is so dumb. How dare you be smart and use your brain? How dare you refuse to break your body on bullshit jobs for a boss that doesn't give a shit about you?
    If you like swinging a hammer - great, but calling desk jobs candyass is just buffoonery from people that can't hack real thinking or have an ego deficiency that means they have to put others down to feel tough. Like the people that put angry Jeep eyes on or punisher stickers on their financed ram.

Quote Originally Posted by RoooR View Post
    So... we agree then? Cleveland sucks and Missoula is awesome?
    It’s no surprise I’m probably the biggest ex-NE Ohioan here but your assessment is trash.

Intel says so, for a data point:

Intel to build 20 Billion Dollar Semiconductor Plant Outside Cleveland
    I still call it The Jake.

I for one applaud companies moving jobs to parts of the country where people really need good paying jobs. My last tech support call was routed to Alabama rather than India and I really appreciated the great service that young lady provided me in a voice I could easily understand.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    I for one applaud companies moving jobs to parts of the country where people really need good paying jobs. My last tech support call was routed to Alabama rather than India and I really appreciated the great service that young lady provided me in a voice I could easily understand.
    I don't know, I might have an easier time understanding an Indian accent than a strong southern one.