Page 893 of 906 FirstFirst ... 888 889 890 891 892 893 894 895 896 897 898 ... LastLast
Results 22,301 to 22,325 of 22644
  1. #22301
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Dystopia
    Posts
    16,794
    Quote Originally Posted by NakedShorts View Post
    That’s fucking hilarious

    Debt becomes an asset. Winning

    At those rates I’m doubling down on my negative investments

  2. #22302
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    2,524
    Thanks Fred. Iíll keep an eye out for the weekend GI JOEs.

  3. #22303
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    6,609
    Quote Originally Posted by fastfred View Post
    ban this ban that next thing you know the place shuts down



    a ski town of just core locals who get endless first tracks day after day with no lift lines and cheap passess and universal income where is this town?



    sounds about right people in summit can't get out of there own way
    the statements causes and shit are endless

    this article takes the cake I'd be embarrased to be featured in it
    but that is summit county everyone is entitled to their dream and it all has to come true without any hardships or effort
    I guess all those summers living in a tent were for nothing I shud have just demanded it

    https://www.summitdaily.com/news/lac...of-the-county/

    feels like a fucking friday
    Kids are expensive. Have someone at work now that says they pay $50/hr for day care. And just half a day at that. My niece in CT works for a day care in an upscale area. She makes $20/hour iirc. (Might be $24 now, as some people started leaving)
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

  4. #22304
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Posts
    1,647
    Quote Originally Posted by Toadman View Post
    Kids are expensive. Have someone at work now that says they pay $50/hr for day care. And just half a day at that.
    Does she have four kids? I know daycare is expensive, but we live an expensive town and certainly were able to find significantly less expensive care than that.

  5. #22305
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Down In A Hole, Up in the Sky
    Posts
    32,484
    One reason people get nannies here is that sometimes there is not an available spot at any daycare, for any price.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

  6. #22306
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    2 hours from anything
    Posts
    9,829
    Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    Thatís fucking hilarious

    Debt becomes an asset. Winning

    At those rates Iím doubling down on my negative investments
    Shockingly, both Naked Shorts and Core Shot canít handle intermediate math. Who would of thought two of the resident conspiracy theorists could so confidently be so wrong.

  7. #22307
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    11,078
    Shit, my dog costs $50 a day to board him at the doggy daycare. A nanny taking on two rotten crotch fruit should cost twice that. Fucking whiny breeders. It donít take a village, it takes two responsible adults who donít put their needs for neat hiking trails over the needs of their children to have childcare.

  8. #22308
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Missoula
    Posts
    337
    Quote Originally Posted by J. Barron DeJong View Post
    Your memory must just be poor. I graduated college just about 17 years ago, and was making about $50k/yr. Living large: driving a brand new BMW M3 that only cost me $15k, renting a fantastic apartment for only $400/month. Taking my future wife out to a fancy dinner only cost $20! Amazing times!
    1982 was 40 years ago bud.

  9. #22309
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Posts
    1,647
    Quote Originally Posted by Name Redacted View Post
    Shit, my dog costs $50 a day to board him at the doggy daycare. A nanny taking on two rotten crotch fruit should cost twice that. Fucking whiny breeders. It donít take a village, it takes two responsible adults who donít put their needs for neat hiking trails over the needs of their children to have childcare.
    That seems a little harsh. I assume since Covid that a lack of child care spots is much more of an issue than it was a few years ago. Some families probably moved to those towns prior to Covid when there was care available and then lost it. We personally had that happen during covid, but luckily our kids were aging out if it anyway, and we were working from home, so it wasnít a massive burden on us.

    (And yes, I should have considered the lack of spots before making my snarky comment about paying $50/hr for child care.)

  10. #22310
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Posts
    1,647
    Quote Originally Posted by RoooR View Post
    1982 was 40 years ago bud.
    M3s didn’t exist in 1982.

    (maybe read through the entire thread before replying )

  11. #22311
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Gaperville, CO
    Posts
    5,366
    Quote Originally Posted by Name Redacted View Post
    ..Fucking whiny breeders...
    Pretending that childcare availability and affordability ain't a crisis in this country is just that -- pretending. The US Treasury department has explicility said it's a broken market: https://home.treasury.gov/system/fil...9-14-final.pdf . Families aren't served well, employees don't make a living wage, and no one is getting rich.

    Whether you have kids or not, future of the places we live depends on them.

    It has nothing to do with two people who wanted to move to Summit co. It's a statewide and national problem. We have approximately 30% of the available licensed child care for kids under the age of 3 that we need in all of Colorado.

  12. #22312
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Gaperville, CO
    Posts
    5,366
    Quote Originally Posted by J. Barron DeJong View Post
    That seems a little harsh. I assume since Covid that a lack of child care spots is much more of an issue than it was a few years ago. Some families probably moved to those towns prior to Covid when there was care available and then lost it. We personally had that happen during covid, but luckily our kids were aging out if it anyway, and we were working from home, so it wasnít a massive burden on us.

    (And yes, I should have considered the lack of spots before making my snarky comment about paying $50/hr for child care.)
    Honestly -- at least in the case of CO -- relatively few child care slots declined year over year in Colorado during the pandemic. Yes -- some centers closed, but some opened. There was a fuckton of money floated to facilities to make that happen.

    This isn't to say it didn't happen anywhere. But on a per-county basis in CO, only a couple of counties lost slots year over year between 2019 and 2021.

    For the family in question -- I'd put good money on their ability to find a slot for their 4 year old. It's the infants and todds that are super hard to find. Let alone a center that has availability for both.

    Source: I was deeply involved at the state level in childcare for about a decade -- and was responsible for producing those statistics.

  13. #22313
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    6,609
    Quote Originally Posted by J. Barron DeJong View Post
    Does she have four kids? I know daycare is expensive, but we live an expensive town and certainly were able to find significantly less expensive care than that.
    2 kids. One is 5 and the other just turned 2.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

  14. #22314
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    6,609
    Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    Pretending that childcare availability and affordability ain't a crisis in this country is just that -- pretending. The US Treasury department has explicility said it's a broken market: https://home.treasury.gov/system/fil...9-14-final.pdf . Families aren't served well, employees don't make a living wage, and no one is getting rich.

    Whether you have kids or not, future of the places we live depends on them.

    It has nothing to do with two people who wanted to move to Summit co. It's a statewide and national problem. We have approximately 30% of the available licensed child care for kids under the age of 3 that we need in all of Colorado.
    I have had many conversations with senior mgmt. at well known international companies, and they are all complaining that the employees with kids don't want to commute back to work. The number one complaint is the cost of daycare. Most of these companies have gone to a 3 day in office, 2 days WFH, and employees are balking at that.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

  15. #22315
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    4,260
    Kids ruin everything

  16. #22316
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    11,078
    Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    Pretending that childcare availability and affordability ain't a crisis in this country is just that -- pretending. The US Treasury department has explicility said it's a broken market: https://home.treasury.gov/system/fil...9-14-final.pdf . Families aren't served well, employees don't make a living wage, and no one is getting rich.

    Whether you have kids or not, future of the places we live depends on them.

    It has nothing to do with two people who wanted to move to Summit co. It's a statewide and national problem. We have approximately 30% of the available licensed child care for kids under the age of 3 that we need in all of Colorado.
    It says that they easily found quality childcare down on the front range. They just canít find it where they want to live. And bought a $1M+ home without researching. Then a nanny wasnít good enough and too expensive.

  17. #22317
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Gaperville, CO
    Posts
    5,366
    Quote Originally Posted by Toadman View Post
    I have had many conversations with senior mgmt. at well known international companies, and they are all complaining that the employees with kids don't want to commute back to work. The number one complaint is the cost of daycare. Most of these companies have gone to a 3 day in office, 2 days WFH, and employees are balking at that.
    It's not an accident that the largest federal subsidy program for child care is designed as a work support program (e.g. it's premise is to keep folks in the labor pool.)
    It just doesn't pay enough to providers to participate and its funding is about 1/10th of what it needs to be if it were going to make care "affordable" (typically represented as 8% of income) for all families with kids.

    The vast vast majority of childcare is paid for by the slot. That is -- you pay for every weekday whether you use it or not. Otherwise, the biz models of child cares breaks down as they can't make payroll and provide consistent staffing. So if a family needs it 2 or 3 days a week, it's just as costly as 5 unless you find a center with unusually flexible rates/scheduling.

  18. #22318
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Gaperville, CO
    Posts
    5,366
    Quote Originally Posted by Name Redacted View Post
    It says that they easily found quality childcare down on the front range. They just can’t find it where they want to live. And bought a $1M+ home without researching. Then a nanny wasn’t good enough and too expensive.
    So families shouldn't be able to live in the mountains? Or just families shouldn't be allowed to migrate there? Is it an unreasonable expectation that basic social necessities be available in a county with over 30,000 people?

    The problem of child care availability is a systemic problem in the US. We can shit on individuals decisions all we want, but that doesn't change that we need more childcare in mtn resort communities.

  19. #22319
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    11,078
    Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    So families shouldn't be able to live in the mountains? Or just families shouldn't be allowed to migrate there? Is it an unreasonable expectation that basic social necessities be available in a county with over 30,000 people?

    The problem of child care availability is a systemic problem in the US. We can shit on individuals decisions all we want, but that doesn't change that we need more childcare in mtn resort communities.
    Never said that. But maybe you should check into that kinda stuff before you move here. You know they knew there was a Whole Foods and a brewery with hazy ipas. Why didnít they know childcare was a challenge?

  20. #22320
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    In a van... down by the river
    Posts
    10,061
    Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    Kids ruin everything
    QFT

  21. #22321
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    cb, co
    Posts
    4,485
    Personally, my favorite part is that they then turn around and short term the place. They could rent long term- you know, to someone who might be a child care provider (or teacher, nurse, waitstaff, or dishwasher). Then they wonder why they can't find daycare, or why their favorite restaurant is only open 5 nights a week.

  22. #22322
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    10,379
    Very little sympathy for those who know what mega pass theyíre going to buy before they know who is going to watch their kids.

  23. #22323
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    your vacation
    Posts
    3,556
    Quote Originally Posted by Name Redacted View Post
    Never said that. But maybe you should check into that kinda stuff before you move here. You know they knew there was a Whole Foods and a brewery with hazy ipas. Why didn’t they know childcare was a challenge?
    yup

    thats why mtn town people are so privileged cause every thing should be easy and you just snap your fingers and get what you want specially when you have money to buy the 1mil plus house ski pass cars nice job that pays well

    I' posted the article cause that sums up what all us mtn people are like
    not only child care but cheap easy housing should be available to all
    whenyou don't get what you want cheap and easy you blame wfh short terms rich people on and on so easy to blame other people instead of pullin yourself up by the bootstraps

    and if you had a job that was actualpart of the community here in summit county the local gov't does a great job subsidizing that child care
    it's even better every year some jack ass starts railing about those subsidies and handouts so people can have free child care
    the d bag doesn't realize they are the people mowing his lawn cleaning the scum out of his hot tub waiting tables plowing his roads that are getting a break on the costs

  24. #22324
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    righthere/rightnow
    Posts
    2,715
    Are they privileged or being taken advantage of by the system? The richest most productive system so far.

    Name:  D8E911C9-66D9-4716-9E58-18D2AB15165E.jpeg
Views: 453
Size:  309.0 KB

  25. #22325
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    关你屁事
    Posts
    7,155
    Quote Originally Posted by fastfred View Post
    yup

    thats why mtn town people are so privileged cause every thing should be easy and you just snap your fingers and get what you want specially when you have money to buy the 1mil plus house ski pass cars nice job that pays well

    I' posted the article cause that sums up what all us mtn people are like
    not only child care but cheap easy housing should be available to all
    whenyou don't get what you want cheap and easy you blame wfh short terms rich people on and on so easy to blame other people instead of pullin yourself up by the bootstraps

    and if you had a job that was actualpart of the community here in summit county the local gov't does a great job subsidizing that child care
    it's even better every year some jack ass starts railing about those subsidies and handouts so people can have free child care
    the d bag doesn't realize they are the people mowing his lawn cleaning the scum out of his hot tub waiting tables plowing his roads that are getting a break on the costs
    people are like everywhere now Freddy, the assumption of the last decade is everything can be ubered and things just magically appear. Itís way more that so in cities than mountain towns

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •