Page 661 of 1084 FirstFirst ... 656 657 658 659 660 661 662 663 664 665 666 ... LastLast
Results 16,501 to 16,525 of 27076
    Quote Originally Posted by sirbumpsalot View Post
    Is immigration the only....or even the main ingredient to a strong economy????? Asking for a friend.
    It's having an actual economy, like China, or just to be able to print money as the leading world currency.
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Dude, there is no private ownership of land in China. Hell, there's essentially no private ownership of anything. Talk to Jack Ma about that. This country's whole early economy and expansion was based on private ownership of land.
    It was based on the government stealing by force land from the prior owners (native Americans) then giving said land away to plutocrats so they could build railways and enrich said plutocrats, with some side benies.

Quote Originally Posted by subtle plague View Post
    It's having an actual economy, like China, or just to be able to print money as the leading world currency.
    The 3rd leg of the “export our economic problems abroad” triangle doesn’t understand the other two legs. Well done!

(china has the largest residential property bubble in the world) though apparently you don’t hav3 any rights, and they have a real economy

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    The 3rd leg of the “export our economic problems abroad” triangle doesn’t understand the other two legs. Well done!

(china has the largest residential property bubble in the world) though apparently you don’t hav3 any rights, and they have a real economy
    I don't think you understood what I was getting at. ( Or you have and are referring to something really smart which I don't get. Possible, but not very likely seeing your other posts).

Deindustrialisation led to the service job or rich tech guy problem( about which all the mountain town owners complain) in the US. It just hasn't been a real problem the US because everyone uses the dollar so all the imports can be paid with thin air.

Edit: so yeah. I was right.... because I really wasn't making a point about Chynah.
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

Quote Originally Posted by dan_pdx View Post
    I've ridden some Chinese high speed rail - nice. They've built like 10k miles of high speed track since 2010ish. We can't even get LA - SF built after hosing money at it. And they have a goddamn maglev as their airport train in Shanghai. Ever taken the PATH train to get to Newark airport? No wonder we're losing.
    Yup! China has a major advantage over us when it comes to being able to sling massive amounts of rail in short order: A distinct lack of lawyers and property rights as compared to us. Cheap labor and construction costs don't hurt either.

China in the 2000s treats it just as the US did in the 1800s when we were building our railways. "Uhhh, your tribe/house/ranch/etc. is kinda in our way, so uhh, GTFO... NOW!!!!" See: Yangtze River Three Gorges Dam
    That certainly gave the US the edge a couple hundred years ago, but 2021 China is like 1800s America. Basically a modern Manifest Destiny. There is ZERO way we could get away with operating like that. Nor should we. But people here shouldn't kid themselves if they think they're doing these massive projects without severe trampling of rights or modern era slave labor.

[Qoute]you must be single[/Qoute]

Nope married and with same girl for round 12yrs. She's just as happy or more sitting round the campfire with the dogs then looking for a bigger/fancier house. She is from Wyoming though...

As far as housing goes our old house's value in bumfuck has even supposedly gone up almost 90k in 3yrs.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by lifelinksplit View Post

Nope married and with same girl for round 12yrs. She's just as happy or more sitting round the campfire with the dogs then looking for a bigger/fancier house. She is from Wyoming though...

As far as housing goes our old house's value in bumfuck has even supposedly gone up almost 90k in 3yrs.

Hmmm...I was just sitting around the campfire two nights a weekend ago with mine on the coast but I know she desperately wanting to replace the 3 couches we just bought 3yrs ago because....well...just because....sigh....she just bought 2 more outdoor chairs which brings us up to 14 places to sit on the patio for the 2 of us...and we've never had more than 4 other friends over at the same time....and that doesn't include folding chairs in the garage for overflow that will never happen.

Quote Originally Posted by lifelinksplit View Post

Mine's from Jersey yet her attitude is similar to your wife's. I think it's because her parents are a model of nonmaterialism and that rubbed off on her. Probably the number one reason we can stay married is because we agree about how to (not) spend money on stupid shit.

For many reasons, hoping my current GF works out, but the one relevant here is that she owns a townhome in the E Bay that rents for 2x her nut every month. Hasn’t even owned it very long. Someone’s benefitting from high rents and inability for young people to buy….

Quote Originally Posted by alpinevibes View Post
    Shout out to Ali Hassan and his $352k campaign for CO House District 56 in 2008!
    theres a solid name unfortunately he got out of politics and now calls himself pedro and he's a auteur filmaker unfortunately he grew up in a house full of servants and some equally wacked parents
    who to tie it all into the real estate thread own a twenty million dollar house in beaver creek

Quote Originally Posted by fastfred View Post
    theres a solid name unfortunately he got out of politics and now calls himself pedro and he's a auteur filmaker unfortunately he grew up in a house full of servants and some equally wacked parents
    who to tie it all into the real estate thread own a twenty million dollar house in beaver creek
    When you go hyperlocal you lose some of us fred. But I'll take your word for it.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Dude, there is no private ownership of land in China. Hell, there's essentially no private ownership of anything. Talk to Jack Ma about that. This country's whole early economy and expansion was based on private ownership of land.
    Don't forget the genocide. And, I won't mention that other thingy that most on the right want to white wash from the history books.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Vote For Pedro!

Name:  Pedro.jpg
Views: 301
Size:  11.9 KB
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

A lot of train talk in the hyperloop era.

Quote Originally Posted by subtle plague View Post
    I don't think you understood what I was getting at. ( Or you have and are referring to something really smart which I don't get. Possible, but not very likely seeing your other posts).

Deindustrialisation led to the service job or rich tech guy problem( about which all the mountain town owners complain) in the US. It just hasn't been a real problem the US because everyone uses the dollar so all the imports can be paid with thin air.

Edit: so yeah. I was right.... because I really wasn't making a point about Chynah.
    yeah, I totally didn’t get your super smart, super subtle, “the US consumer is happy cuz the fed prints shit so people can buy imported crap from Chyna” take given your posts, I’m not surprised you couldn’t understand my point. Germans thinking themselves smart by selling shit to China, fucking over their own consumers, is part of the problem. Politics in Europe and China fuck over their own consumers to subsidize the US, but we’re the stupid ones

realized ski towns suck donkey balls I'm gonna sell right after the crash
    don't know how anyone acutally lives in a place like this

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    <snip> Probably the number one reason we can stay married is because we agree about how to (not) spend money on stupid shit.
    I'm fortunate to have a woman like this as well that will put up with my shit.

Quote Originally Posted by MontuckyFried View Post
    Yup! China has a major advantage over us when it comes to being able to sling massive amounts of rail in short order: A distinct lack of lawyers and property rights as compared to us. Cheap labor and construction costs don't hurt either.

China in the 2000s treats it just as the US did in the 1800s when we were building our railways. "Uhhh, your tribe/house/ranch/etc. is kinda in our way, so uhh, GTFO... NOW!!!!" See: Yangtze River Three Gorges Dam
    That certainly gave the US the edge a couple hundred years ago, but 2021 China is like 1800s America. Basically a modern Manifest Destiny. There is ZERO way we could get away with operating like that. Nor should we. But people here shouldn't kid themselves if they think they're doing these massive projects without severe trampling of rights or modern era slave labor.
    Chinese people I spoke with said they actually have very strong property rights in China, it's just that the Chinese government owns all the land

Yeah I went back last year and reread the Westword profile on him

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    A lot of train talk in the hyperloop era.
    Or self driving / electric car era. Is it possible we'll have some sort of protected lane on the freeways of the future where the cars draft each other and go super fast? I have no skin in this game besides wanting to be able to nap on longer trips.

Quote Originally Posted by RoooR View Post
    Or self driving / electric car era. Is it possible we'll have some sort of protected lane on the freeways of the future where the cars draft each other and go super fast? I have no skin in this game besides wanting to be able to nap on longer trips.
    Trains for regional/inter-regional travel, self-driving electric cars for local travel. It'll be a transportation Utopia!

lots of talk for vapor ware that’s a decade plus out from dependable mass service

funny as fuck watching the same people who 5-10 years ago talked about the same tech utopia future acting like it’s here now. Self driving? E vehicles? That shit was gonna dominate today!

lots of talk for vapor ware that’s a decade plus out from dependable mass service

funny as fuck watching the same people who 5-10 years ago talked about the same tech utopia future acting like it’s here now. Self driving? E vehicles? That shit was gonna dominate today!
    You're not wrong.

Utah town is out of water so imposed a moratorium on new homebuilding: https://www.nytimes.com/2021/07/20/u...te-change.html

“Why are we building houses if we don’t have enough water?” said Wade Woolstenhulme, the mayor, who in addition to raising horses and judging rodeos, has spent the past few weeks defending the building moratorium. “The right thing to do to protect people who are already here is to restrict people coming in.”

Takes time man. Shit is getting better. Lots of people have cars that basically drive themselves in "easy" situations. Plus it has to be WAY better to be accepted. People accept 40k deaths on the highways a year now. Self driving will almost need to be flawless.

One downside (or upside) of self driving will be that since a self driving car will not let itself hit a pedestrian or cyclist it won't be long until the people figure out they can pretty much walk / ride wherever they want. City streets are gonna be crazy!