Page 369 of 1076 FirstFirst ... 364 365 366 367 368 369 370 371 372 373 374 ... LastLast
Results 9,201 to 9,225 of 26884
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    And, if things go south, they never will have that equity. There's still a lot of people here underwater from '06.

Who knows. I'd wait a little while. What's the rush? I don't get it.
    FOMO crowd. Seems to be a lot of that going on around here in Central Oregon. If the house is in a really good neighborhood, the house is gone in a week. Doesn't matter the price range. $1 million + home sell just as fast as a $500k + homes.

New home construction is bonkers here. A lot of pending signs on those for sale signs.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

I remember how hard Bend got crushed last time around. Hopefully this time is different.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Cheap money, pent-up demand, etc etc. Maybe some people just want a roof over their head, and don't need to make money on their homes right away like they have been able to the last decade. Who cares if the value goes down for 3 years if you are gonna live there for 20?

3 years? My condo sold for about 30% more than it's worth now in 2004. And it hasn't been increasing in value at all in the six years I've owned it. So, therefore, there are some people in this complex, and others in this town, who are paying a mortgage every month for a home that may never be worth the value of that overpriced loan. I watched that happen once before in my life as some co workers were stuck in underwater homes in the NYC area in the late 80s/early 90s after an RE crash there. Most were "starter" homes. That lasted a decade. Not a good place to be.

3 years? My condo sold for about 30% more than it's worth now in 2004. And it hasn't been increasing in value at all in the six years I've owned it. So, therefore, there are some people in this complex, and others in this town, who are paying a mortgage every month for a home that may never be worth the value of that overpriced loan. I watched that happen once before in my life as some co workers were stuck in underwater homes in the NYC area in the late 80s/early 90s after an RE crash there. Most were "starter" homes. That lasted a decade. Not a good place to be.
    Yes but what is the mortgage compared to comparable rent. Rents have skyrocketed over that time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ncskier View Post
    Yes but what is the mortgage compared to comparable rent. Rents have skyrocketed over that time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Don't challenge him to think outside himself. That's not how it works here.

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    I remember how hard Bend got crushed last time around. Hopefully this time is different.
    Markets where they slap cookie cutter houses on 1/8 of an acre lots and sell them for $1M deserve to get crushed. Who the fuck are these people who want to live so far our in suburbia that you need to drive to everything, but are okay with paying 7 figures for a place with 5-foot side yard setbacks? Forget hearing them, when the houses are that close together, you can smell when your neighbors are fucking.

Density is A-OK if it comes with the upsides typically associated with it, i.e. a walkable community, but the high density suburban/exurban development is a goddamn disgrace.

Quote Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
    Don't challenge him to think outside himself. That's not how it works here.
    Don't be an asshole.

Rents haven't really gone up that much around here in the last ten years. Certainly haven't "skyrocketed". Of course, all RE is local, so it may be different elsewhere, like Denver. But, even there, it would be a fool's game to jump out of the rental market into what is still a highly priced ownership pool at a time like this. At least you have the freedom and mobility to react in six months to a year to whatever both markets are pricing as a renter. Right now the stimulus, eviction and foreclosure moratoriums, and UE cash are placing a ton of people in mid air off a cliff like Wilee Coyote. That's not going to last long. I really cant see the economy going back to whatever "normal" we had just five months ago for a long time. Look what's happening right now with the "reopening". It isn't pretty, and we haven't even tried to reopen schools, which is a massive industry up to post grad. So many industries are severely damaged, with nothing but hope and optimism to bring them back, but the virus doesnt care about travel to Europe or professional sports or 40,000 kids packed together in state U.
    So, anyway, you're going to commit a major portion of your savings (or, probably, your inheritance) to buy an asset in a market that has never been higher in many parts of the country at this time? Again, what's the rush? Well, one answer to that is that it's not really your decision. It's your wife's. Sorry for that pussy whipping. But, then again, maybe it's her parent's or grandparent's money funding it all. So, hey, you're cool, I guess. Just try to talk her into a man cave space.

Don't be an asshole.

Rents haven't really gone up that much around here in the last ten years. Certainly haven't "skyrocketed". Of course, all RE is local, so it may be different elsewhere, like Denver. But, even there, it would be a fool's game to jump out of the rental market into what is still a highly priced ownership pool at a time like this. At least you have the freedom and mobility to react in six months to a year to whatever both markets are pricing as a renter. Right now the stimulus, eviction and foreclosure moratoriums, and UE cash are placing a ton of people in mid air off a cliff like Wilee Coyote. That's not going to last long. I really cant see the economy going back to whatever "normal" we had just five months ago for a long time. Look what's happening right now with the "reopening". It isn't pretty, and we haven't even tried to reopen schools, which is a massive industry up to post grad. So many industries are severely damaged, with nothing but hope and optimism to bring them back, but the virus doesnt care about travel to Europe or professional sports or 40,000 kids packed together in state U.
    So, anyway, you're going to commit a major portion of your savings (or, probably, your inheritance) to buy an asset in a market that has never been higher in many parts of the country at this time? Again, what's the rush? Well, one answer to that is that it's not really your decision. It's your wife's. Sorry for that pussy whipping. But, then again, maybe it's her parent's or grandparent's money funding it all. So, hey, you're cool, I guess. Just try to talk her into a man cave space.
    Redfin has my little homestead in Goshen NY up about $60K since last year, and they dont even have the updated renovations. Simply land price basically.

Guess you bought in the wrong place at the wrong time Bunny? If you aint seen any real gain in 10 years you made a mistake, despite what the markets done. Gotta be a smarter buyer next time. Take your own advice, which obviously you didnt follow the last purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by goldenboy View Post
    Yeah, it would be nice to know more about the study.

Things are so busy here the title company can't accommodate closings until mid August. Appraisers are booked 5+ weeks out as well. Inspections, 4 weeks.
    My refi appraisal was waived and like Danno closed in one month...well one month after the initial one week blunder the agent made on the application that had to be recovered...closed last wednesday and funded today.

Yeah Benny, that's your hood, and you still choose to live there. I was talking about desirable places to live, not Connecticut.

Still though, if you pay a mortgage for 20 years and just break even, you still had a place to live for 20 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    Redfin has my little homestead in Goshen NY up about $60K since last year, and they dont even have the updated renovations. Simply land price basically.

Guess you bought in the wrong place at the wrong time Bunny? If you aint seen any real gain in 10 years you made a mistake, despite what the markets done. Gotta be a smarter buyer next time. Take your own advice, which obviously you didnt follow the last purchase.
    Oh, no, young man. I haven't lost money, haven't I? There's millions of gen xers who still can't say that.
    And, you actually think RE always goes up, even after what happened a decade ago? Good luck, you'll need it.

Oh, no, young man. I haven't lost money, haven't I? There's millions of gen xers who still can't say that.
    And, you actually think RE always goes up, even after what happened a decade ago? Good luck, you'll need it.
    real estate fluctuates period. Its never been a good "get rich quick scheme" its a long term investment. When you sell is the important part. One thing they aint making any more of is land.

in the 4 house ive owned in my short time as a homeowner i never once lost a penny. 1 was break even, but i had pulled equity so theres that. the rest were all profit of varying levels.

Quote Originally Posted by Name Redacted View Post
    Yeah Benny, that's your hood, and you still choose to live there. I was talking about desirable places to live, not Connecticut.
    The classic TGR demographic response. I forget who I'm talking to. The "I'm just going to live wherever I want. Some really cool place." Because I can. Money seems to be no barrier.

The classic TGR demographic response. I forget who I'm talking to. The "I'm just going to live wherever I want. Some really cool place." Because I can. Money seems to be no barrier.
    OR, some people choose where they want to live at a young age and work hard to make it a possibility. Surprisingly enough, many of those people don't end up in CT losing money on a depreciating asset of a home. Some of those people's homes have gain substantial value due to being located where many other like minded people also want to live.

Or some people just get lucky when born into the right situation.

So, where exactly do you live?

Or some people just get lucky when born into the right situation.

So, where exactly do you live?
    Lucky? Im not following here....are you talking luck like trust fund? Luck like buying at the right time/place? This makes no sense.

maybe you just arent as smart an investor as you imagine in your head?

dude, solid gen xer here, I always laugh at people counting their home value, who cares

you live in CT, high taxes, metro ny, you shoulda bought twenty years ago in summit county like I did, then you wouldn't be complaining and you could go hang out in your dillon valley one bedroom condo and be happy

and yeah, I decided to live somewhere really cool because I don't want to be some miserable clown living in some miserable metro area punching the clock and driving hrs to go have fun, trade offs, step out my door and I"m there

trade offs

I bet you've never lived outside a 100 mile radius from where you were born. What were you afraid of?

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    Lucky? Im not following here....are you talking luck like trust fund? Luck like buying at the right time/place? This makes no sense.

maybe you just arent as smart an investor as you imagine in your head?
    Luck as in white privilege.

And your home isn't an "investment". It's pretty shitty that way. Only people who are going to cash in on that "investment" are your kids.

Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    I bet you've never lived outside a 100 mile radius from where you were born. What were you afraid of?

Actually, I have, in a few places, bitter boomer baby.

Quote Originally Posted by fastfred View Post

shoulda bought twenty years ago in summit county like I did, then you wouldn't be complaining and you could go hang out in your dillon valley one bedroom condo and be happy
    Shoulda woulda. Seems your hindsight is 20/20, like mine. Fuck Summit County, If I could jump in the way back machine, I'd move to Aspen as soon as I could, save every dime to start trading RE, maybe get in the biz by being an agent, and never look back. But, you know, who knew?

But, that's the past. I'm talking about now. But, ok, go ahead, go buy at these price levels during a world changing pandemic. Get back to us in a few years to tell us how that worked out.

Benny, it's not too late to get started on the next Aspen. Have you considered Londonderry?
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    Benny, it's not too late to get started on the next Aspen. Have you considered Londonderry?
    Londonderry's calling.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.