Page 610 of 1076 FirstFirst ... 605 606 607 608 609 610 611 612 613 614 615 ... LastLast
Results 15,226 to 15,250 of 26889
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Vermont, Colorado, and Italy
    Name:  monocle1.jpg
Views: 897
Size:  7.6 KB

Great, are you staying w glade? He'd be a perfect backcountry partner for you.

Why does everyone consider foreign workers "poor and desperate"? What the fuck? Maybe the Aussies just want to ski during their summer?

You're showing your white privilege biases with that one, and that's why a lot of these people are treated so poorly. You think they are "poor and desperate" losers. Maybe that's why the white kids suck at the job. It's only for losers. They're better than that.
    Holy shit. Something I actually agree with Benny on. Poor and desperate is not how I would describe immigrants. Ambitions and determined IS how I would. Been lucky enough to work with immigrants from all over the world and they are straight up my favorite people by far. So many people in this country bitch and moan about the shitty situation they find themselves in. Immigrants actually DO something about it.

From what I've seen Its not unusual for the folks who return to planting every year to be highly educated, I got one bud who got the education/ real job but quits to go back to contracting, they come back to planting cuz they like it, the good planters can make a bunch of money real fast and do something else go skiing or go to school, I got one buddy who goes on the road playing in a Juno award winning band at a high level
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by Hopeless Sinner View Post
    TR to follow!
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Does Canada even have any illegal immigrants? The nets tell me like 100k versus 10.7 million in the US, or about 3 % of the population. To me, this is the biggest reason for the political difference between US and Canada. They are Norway and we are Italy.

And our economy is what, fives time bigger?

Whoops, I was wrong. Twenty times bigger.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopeless Sinner View Post
    Never fails to wait for the TGR weekend warrior cube dweller to pull the Backcountry card.

Well, yeah, I'm with you on that one. It's very affordable if you bought a house in 1994. Not now.

Coulda wooda. A western condo looked like a total luxury when I was working, but, only to go back in time and consider it retirement savings. Which it would have been.
    I hear ya Benny. I slap myself about once a week for missing that bus. Working a commission job, I never wanted to over extend myself, which means I was way to conservative.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

there are 10 times as many people in the USA

sure there are illegals but they all want to go to America, sometimes the only reason they come to Canada is to get to America, the only border we need to worry about is with America, there is no country to the north which is so sparsely populated I think I would cross 1 highway if I booked straight for the narth pole form here

the 2 countries may look the same but the political difference is WAY more than that, even in the styles the USA is a democratic republic and Canada is a parliamentary democracy
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by altasnob View Post
    Does Canada even have any illegal immigrants? The nets tell me like 100k versus 10.7 million in the US, or about 3 % of the population. To me, this is the biggest reason for the political difference between US and Canada. They are Norway and we are Italy.
    What? USA GDP per capita is like 40% higher than Canada. Comparing the US to Italy is insane.

My point is it is not surprising in Canada you have college grads doing manual labor ag work as a career where as in the US you have illegals. One has a difficult to control border, one doesn't. Just like Italy has a difficult to control border, Norway does not.

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    I hear ya Benny. I slap myself about once a week for missing that bus. Working a commission job, I never wanted to over extend myself, which means I was way to conservative.
    Says the guy with a net worth of $2+ million.

Quote Originally Posted by Toadman View Post
    Yep, LBS=F finally closed below $1k per thousand feet random length lumber earlier this week. Below $900 ATM. Thinking it might hold steady in the $800's for the rest of the summer.
    Imagine if you bought all your building materials 2 months ago...

Quote Originally Posted by altasnob View Post
    My point is it is not surprising in Canada you have college grads doing manual labor ag work as a career where as in the US you have illegals. One has a difficult to control border, one doesn't. Just like Italy has a difficult to control border, Norway does not.
    And which one has the most productive workers? Hint: not Canada. Immigrants get shit done.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Says the guy with a net worth of $2+ million.

Most illiquid California RE, I suspect, along with traditional tax deferred savings.

My point was that, f I knew where I was today, scrounging around for affordable beds in ski country, I'd be much better off with a condo tourists and locals paid for. Which is how that squeaky clean couple is thinking about that basement apartment in Dillon I featured above, probably because Mom and Dad were so successful at that in the past thirty years. Except now they expect a lawyer or doctor to pay for it, instead of four dirtbags.

Quote Originally Posted by RoooR View Post
    And which one has the most productive workers? Hint: not Canada. Immigrants get shit done.
    You should see the stone patio that Pedro put in at my condo. Cheaper than the white guys quoted, and a day under schedule. All cash, though.

Quote Originally Posted by The Artist Formerly Known as Leavenworth Skier View Post
    Imagine if you bought all your building materials 2 months ago...
    Yeah, that would suck big time. I have heard of a few folks who are building that told their contractors to stop construction after they poured the foundations. Can't delay too long if you are dealing with a construction loan though. But folks paying cash, can sit and wait to see how material pricing goes.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

But where do they sleep?

Here, this just popped up on Facebook for Summit County:

Apartment for rent, two bedroom, one bath. $2595 a month.

We have an apartment available on the lower level of our house in Dillon. Amazing location!
    Beautiful views of Lake Dillon and Buffalo Mountain. parking space provided on driveway Hike from our backyard, bike across the street and kayak entrance points just minutes away!

We provide a storage shed and outdoor patio, at least one parking space …

Requirements:
    Credit score of 680 minimum
    Salary 3x rent
    No dogs
    No smoking

Stainless appliances, granite countertops, newly tiled shower. [Of course!]

So, yeah, somebody expects somebody making 3x2595 a month to rent this place. That's nearly a hundred grand a year. And, with pretty damn good credit, too. What the fuck. You have to think, are the kids "owning" this house, who obviously expect some pretty well off tenant to come along and pay for their overpriced mortgage, that naive? I mean, I understand that rent for seasonal short term, but, permanent annual rent?
    Can't middle class skiers commute to the mountain and stay in a hotel? My "local" ski hill is 200 miles away and I stay at the brand new Holiday Inn Express for $75 a night if I ski 2 or more days in a row. I've been doing this my whole adult life.

Quote Originally Posted by sirbumpsalot View Post
    Can't middle class skiers commute to the mountain and stay in a hotel? My "local" ski hill is 200 miles away and I stay at the brand new Holiday Inn Express for $75 a night if I ski 2 or more days in a row. I've been doing this my whole adult life.
    That is the same basis for my argument against six figure RVs.

It's a lot nicer to have your own place though, and then there's the kitchen, which saves a ton.

Benny, you would love the boating world.
    I still call it The Jake.

You have to smell it in order to make an offer....

https://www.cnn.com/2021/06/17/homes...ell/index.html

In this wild market, in which record low inventory and soaring demand is pushing home prices ever higher, you might expect that any old thing you put on the market would sell. Mimi Foster, a real estate agent with Falcon Property Company in Colorado Springs, Colorado, decided to put one home to the test.
    She listed a five-bedroom home in the Broadmoor Bluffs Estates neighborhood for $590,000. That may sound like a steal, but buyer beware.

he home, which according to Foster is owned by an ailing seller who lives out of state, was rented to a tenant who lived there for a decade. It was managed for some time by a property management company, she said. When the tenant was evicted in the fall of 2019 for not paying rent, she was allowed to return to collect some of her possessions, according to Foster, but instead trashed the place.
    Black spray paint covers every fixture, floor covering and surface, said Foster. Even more daunting, Foster said: the freezer in the basement that's full of meat and hasn't had electricity for over a year.

But, Foster said, she's only accepting offers from buyers who visited the property -- because of the smell.
    "I'm not allowing sight-unseen offers," she said. When an agent called to let her know she was sending over an offer from a Denver-based investor for $625,000, Foster said she told her: "I'm sorry. You have to come and smell it first."
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

After watching Lt. Joe Kenda, I'd never live in Colorado Springs. Sounds like Albuquerque.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

couple available in my neighborhood
    https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...70223034_zpid/
    https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...32797588_zpid/
    glad i bought 5 years ago. My place is nicer for half the price. Johnny from Morrrison is probably wishing he would of bought two winters ago.
    off your knees Louie

That is the same basis for my argument against six figure RVs.

It's a lot nicer to have your own place though, and then there's the kitchen, which saves a ton.
    Yes but come on, lets be serious. 2nd homes in a resort area are a luxury not for the "middle class" and have never really been the norm.