Page 422 of 1084 FirstFirst ... 417 418 419 420 421 422 423 424 425 426 427 ... LastLast
Results 10,526 to 10,550 of 27076
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevo View Post
    Kinda funny for someone from the Wasatch front to call out CO or ID on sprawl.

How much open space is there between SLC and Draper? And how long does it take to drive from Sandy to the lift lines at Alta these days? What time do you need to wake up to get a parking spot?

The Wasatch Front and SLC valley is a textbook case for the mismanagement of land and a complete and utter disaster when it comes to urban planning.

I wish I didn't agree with you that ID is going to quickly become the things we all hate about CO and UT though.
    his name is altasnob but I believe he hales from a different, more dank and mossy, urban sprawl.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Ha, you think WFH transplant go to the store! Prime WTF. If you don't sell booze, coffee or food, you are done.

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    As times goes by, I just get numb to most of the bullshit and that is not good. I was listening to a Moth Radio Hour about a guy that lost all emotion, good or bad, when on anti-depressant medication. That's what I feel my coping mechanism has become. No excitement about upcoming powder days or epic tours. No feeling towards moving trucks, Q7s, Chet and Buffy.

I can usually make it a couple weeks at a time. This summer I made it about 6 months. I look forward to the monotony of work. It is just so strange to struggle to enjoy riding your bike, going fishing, walking the dog and going to the ski area.

Luckily I can ride my motorcycle and fly my paraglider. If it wasn't for that I probably would lose my mind.
    Shit, really sorry man.

It probably feels local to WP, but the feeling of a lack of community and social isolation seems and flatline not feeling anything seems to be widespread everywhere these days. I've been stuck in that place for years and it sucks. So many people are feeling it. I hope it gets better for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post

At this point, just rent something in a ski town and see how your wife adjusts.

Maybe next year, we can do an exchange?
    Wife swapping. So hot right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    his name is altasnob but I believe he hales from a different, more dank and mossy, urban sprawl.
    The Tacoma Aroma isn't industry, it's decay.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Gotcha. Couldn't see location on mobile.

I will say that of any major metro area in the US, Seattle/Tacoma is probably the best geographically. Sure it is crowded, but it is a pretty extraordinary location.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    The pulp mill is long gone

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Yeah, I know. Just a silly joke. It's actually getting pretty gentrified.

Gotcha. Couldn't see location on mobile.

I will say that of any major metro area in the US, Seattle/Tacoma is probably the best geographically. Sure it is crowded, but it is a pretty extraordinary location.
    I lived in Utah in 2005 when I joined TGR but have lived in the greater Seattle area since (and am from the PNW originally, but have also lived in Front Range CO, and half a year in Geneva, Switzerland). Seattle metro aint perfect, but Seattle and Portland have some of the most stringent urban growth rules in the Western US so I get to poke fun of Idaho and CO in hopes that it will persuade their citizens to also adopt more stringent urban and rural growth restrictions. Politics and lack of water constrictions fuels most of the sprawl of Denver, SLC, Bozeman, Idaho, ect.

Quote Originally Posted by altasnob View Post
    I lived in Utah in 2005 when I joined TGR but have lived in the greater Seattle area since (and am from the PNW originally, but have also lived in Front Range CO, and half a year in Geneva, Switzerland). Seattle metro aint perfect, but Seattle and Portland have some of the most stringent urban growth rules in the Western US so I get to poke fun of Idaho and CO in hopes that it will persuade their citizens to also adopt more stringent urban and rural growth restrictions. Politics and lack of water constrictions fuels most of the sprawl of Denver, SLC, Bozeman, Idaho, ect.
    Good to hear your backstory. I'm 100% in agreement about more stringent growth restrictions and perhaps just better planning in general.

Shit, really sorry man.

It probably feels local to WP, but the feeling of a lack of community and social isolation seems and flatline not feeling anything seems to be widespread everywhere these days. I've been stuck in that place for years and it sucks. So many people are feeling it. I hope it gets better for you.
    Honestly, I don't feel isolated socially. I have great friends and live in a community of great people. We just don't seem all that happy anymore and that makes me sad. This is my home. I've lived in this valley almost 30 years. I don't want to go anywhere. I'm going to give this winter my best shot but be really honest with myself about my whole state of mind. I think why it is getting to me right now it that instead of getting away, we've got the fire to deal with.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    Why did Toyota name a popular PU truck after a town in Worshington ?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

It's amazing that there's any water left to continue building houses in CO.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Walmarts and Costcos popping up soon and sprawl all the way to Idaho Falls. Front Range transplants will fit right in.
    Ha. About 15 years ago I had a project to build a new office in Denver. First time I'd spent any time there. I swear out of the dozen sites that we looked at, 10 had a Walmart going up nearby. Seemed to be all the realtors wanted to talk about. "This area is up and coming, look there's a Walmart going in across the street". I remember thinking how many fucking Walmarts are needed in one city.

furrowed
    Last edited by Buster Highmen; 10-28-2020 at 09:25 PM.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    .... all the rec resources that were once so much fun have just become of shitshow of competition and brophist exclusion.
    God it is so tiring.

Quote Originally Posted by char_ View Post
    God it is so tiring.
    Observing it or talking about it? I've mostly moved on but it makes me sad...like I said...I'm just one more transplant that got here before the next guy. What is truly surprising is how good we had it for so long. Now it is over. I'll figure something out, not too worried.

Observing it or talking about it? I've mostly moved on but it makes me sad...like I said...I'm just one more transplant that got here before the next guy. What is truly surprising is how good we had it for so long. Now it is over. I'll figure something out, not too worried.
    Both. And being somewhere doing something that now has turned into the same hyper-competitive rat race where it used to be a way to disconnect from all that.

Quote Originally Posted by char_ View Post
    Both. And being somewhere doing something that now has turned into the same hyper-competitive rat race where it used to be a way to disconnect from all that.
    Thats a good way to put it. Playing around outside used to be some level of escapism to get away from the BS...whether it be an afternoon up from the city or your whole life. Now it has just turned into just another chapter of the BS. I mean, i was just in the used gear store and this boomer bitch would shut of with her humble brag of where she has been, where she has gone and how it used to be, her wedding in Telluride and her daughters Wedding at her inlaws property in Whitefish and the swanky resorts she goes to unwinded. I wanted to tell her about "how it used to be" was there were not loudmouth vapid rat racers that wouldn't shut the fuck up. Instead I bought 2 pairs of socks for $20, went and inspected the plans of some shitbox in my HOA where the builder fucked up the elevations but everyone got paid!, and now I'm ranting on the internet.

I'm gonna grab a beer and walk the dog. I wonder if any of the AirBnBrs are gonna get pissy because I don't have a leash?

Honestly, I don't feel isolated socially. I have great friends and live in a community of great people. We just don't seem all that happy anymore and that makes me sad. This is my home. I've lived in this valley almost 30 years. I don't want to go anywhere. I'm going to give this winter my best shot but be really honest with myself about my whole state of mind. I think why it is getting to me right now it that instead of getting away, we've got the fire to deal with.
    I get the sentiment. I've lived within a four hour radius of where I'm at today my entire life. I don't like what I'm seeing. Can't stop people from moving here and I get why they are but they also can't make me happy that they're doing it. I don't know how many people I've met in the last couple years that assume I should be happy they showed up.

Last year a dude on the chair about three weeks into his relocation asked me where the pow stashes were and he's bummed things were skied out by 11. "Should have been here yesterday" is what I told him. He had a shitty vibe. He asked me how long I've lived here and that I had to know of some stashes. I told him I did and it took me longer than three weeks to learn them. He asked if he could ski with me. I said no. Then he tried to follow me so I hit a shark tooth field with one line that goes that looks like untouched for a reason. I'm wondering what kind of skis he bought next. I guess I'm the jaded asshole in the scenario but 1-not hot 2-a dude 3-thought it was a gift to me that he moved here and then bitched about too many tracks.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    Funny about Teton Valley/Driggs, etc, but when my wife and I were looking at finding a place in the 90s where skiing was accessible and affordable, we looked into that area as well as down by Alpine and wrote it off as being overrun then.
    It's all relative. The person I interviewed for my podcast this morning was in Aspen for a year in the late 60's and thought it was too crowded then...

I like the cut of your jib! At Winter Park, the sell out locals will guide you to the stashes. Bought and paid for. I think I just threw up a bit. https://wp.theonlysky.com/atmosphere/?page=1

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    Why did Toyota name a popular PU truck after a town in Worshington ?
    The town is named after a big mountain which was named by the natives. The white guys called it Tacoma or Tahoma because they couldn't pronounce it as the natives do (the h is hard, like a ch). The mountain is also called Tacobet which means "where the water comes from" if I recall correctly.

I want to be excited because I finally pulled off my WFH dream, which wouldn't of happened with COVID, But damn if it isn't making everywhere I want to live completely unaffordable. Even real estate in obscure places in CO and UT has gotten nuts.

FWIW, I try really hard not to be a douchy WFH asshole. The wife works in healthcare locally, we contribute to the local economy whenever we can (hard with COVID), and try to give back to the community in some fashion.

I've made a lot of great friendships with transplants. But it's all because they're generally cool people who ease into things. Not people who show up with an attitude, ask before giving, and bitch about crowding. Empathy and self awareness go a long way with me.