Page 1051 of 1070 FirstFirst ... 1046 1047 1048 1049 1050 1051 1052 1053 1054 1055 1056 ... LastLast
Results 26,251 to 26,275 of 26734
  1. #26251
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    northern BC
    Posts
    30,773
    It will be possible to run 1 only STR if the owner also lives on the property but It looks like the multiple Ghost hotels won't be able to operate in BC

    apparently the situation for high rents/ high prices is even worse in Canada than the USA
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

  2. #26252
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    General Sherman's Favorite City
    Posts
    34,996
    Quote Originally Posted by I Skied Bandini Mountain View Post
    I lol'd
    It was a good one.

    This got me thinking, while every major metro has desirable neighborhoods/locations and you can find expensive stuff anywhere, what does the cost of lakefront living look like in CLE?

    This one, while not my style, has 6 beds, 7 baths, is on the Lake and has views of downtown. The cost, a mere $3.1MM.

    https://www.cleveland.com/entertainm...-the-week.html

    This one is from the Rockefeller-era of Cleveland is a much more budget-friendly $2.2M, but only gets you 3.5 acres of lakefront property, 5 beds and 6.5 baths inside the walled-community of Bratenahl just outside downtown.

    https://www.cleveland.com/entertainm...-the-week.html

    A steal, really.
    I still call it The Jake.

  3. #26253
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    3,856
    Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    This one is from the Rockefeller-era of Cleveland is a much more budget-friendly $2.2M, but only gets you 3.5 acres of lakefront property, 5 beds and 6.5 baths inside the walled-community of Bratenahl just outside downtown.

    https://www.cleveland.com/entertainm...-the-week.html

    A steal, really.
    A buddys parents own a house in california on a 5200sf lot, that is 2200sf, built in the 80s, and quite frankly a fixer upper. It is 1hour from the beach, 4 hours from mountains, in a suburb, and has no views. Its zillow estimate is $3.8mil. I truly think that the people romanticize the west coast culture and opportunities for outdoor recreation, but in reality they live like midwesterners 99% of the time. RE is a mystery.

  4. #26254
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    8,207
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    I'd like to live in that world. Let me see, if I got it right.

    Grocery Store employees $50/hr.

    Patrollers $60/hr. full time year around

    X Ray Techs/EMS/Teachers/Fire/Police $150k+/yr.

    Ski Lifts Everywhere. Little satellite villages served by trams.

    Probably gonna need a 4 lane highway getting there from the airport. What else did I miss?
    $15 coffee
    $10 microbrews
    $2 public transit rides that come subsidized with your $1,500 mountain pass
    $1 million 950 sq ft 2bed, 1bath starter homes
    Private heli-port at the $25k annual membership golf course that you can pay $450 for 18 holes.

    I know there are more but this was just off the top of my head.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

  5. #26255
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    panhandle locdog
    Posts
    7,825
    Quote Originally Posted by Toadman View Post
    $15 coffee
    $10 microbrews
    $2 public transit rides that come subsidized with your $1,500 mountain pass
    $1 million 950 sq ft 2bed, 1bath starter homes
    Private heli-port at the $25k annual membership golf course that you can pay $450 for 18 holes.

    I know there are more but this was just off the top of my head.
    Seems like we’re not too far off from this reality.

  6. #26256
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Access to Granlibakken
    Posts
    11,152
    Quote Originally Posted by Mazderati View Post
    Primary residences and locality adjustments seem easily manipulated when WFH.
    1. Tech job — Live in a van, follow the pow
    2. VPN thru a server in Palo Alto where your ‘residence’ is and pay someone to fwd mail
    3. Profit!
    Want taller, better heel risers for your Marker Alpinists? Check this out

    28.5 TransAlp Pro boots for sale.

  7. #26257
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    General Sherman's Favorite City
    Posts
    34,996
    Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    1. Tech job — Live in a van, follow the pow
    2. VPN thru a server in Palo Alto where your ‘residence’ is and pay someone to fwd mail
    3. Profit!
    I still call it The Jake.

  8. #26258
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    11,709
    I work with General Counsels of large companies in my job. No less than three of them this year have appeared via zoom while in their kitted out van, generally being nomads with Starlink and occasionally popping into company offices along the way.

    The Managing Partner of a large well known multinational firm was doing the same thing.

    Crazy times.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  9. #26259
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    General Sherman's Favorite City
    Posts
    34,996
    Quote Originally Posted by Art Shirk View Post
    I work with General Counsels of large companies in my job. No less than three of them this year have appeared via zoom while in their kitted out van, generally being nomads with Starlink and occasionally popping into company offices along the way.

    The Managing Partner of a large well known multinational firm was doing the same thing.

    Crazy times.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Next time show 'em what's up by joining the call from the captain's chair of Suck My Wake.
    I still call it The Jake.

  10. #26260
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    8,575
    Well yeah. they can't afford Real Estate in Mountain Towns. Maybe RV Parks are the answer?

    Gonna need more shitters at the rec center. Seriously.

    Sent from my Turbo 850 Flatbrimed Highhorse

  11. #26261
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Hood River
    Posts
    660
    Quote Originally Posted by TAFKALVS View Post
    Switzerland is a great country to live in.
    Where property is also mostly out of reach to most...
    https://www.nytimes.com/2023/11/06/r...ing-homes.html

  12. #26262
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    11,709
    Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    Next time show 'em what's up by joining the call from the captain's chair of Suck My Wake.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1701293515.411666.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	1.20 MB 
ID:	477755



    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  13. #26263
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    7,172
    Quote Originally Posted by Toadman View Post
    $15 coffee
    $10 microbrews
    $2 public transit rides that come subsidized with your $1,500 mountain pass
    $1 million 950 sq ft 2bed, 1bath starter homes
    Private heli-port at the $25k annual membership golf course that you can pay $450 for 18 holes.

    I know there are more but this was just off the top of my head.
    That's cheap. Big sky pass is 2700$. Just stopped into lone mtn ranch, know the chef there. They just opened a fully private restaurant. 10k membership. Expensive af.

    The 1M condos are 400 sq ft. 950 would be palatial. The one and only they are building is like a 6 figure membership.

  14. #26264
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Tejas
    Posts
    11,815
    Quote Originally Posted by byates1 View Post
    That's cheap. Big sky pass is 2700$.
    Member when Moonlight-only passes were something like $400/year and single day lift tix were like $39? I member. What sucks is that it wasn't THAT long ago to justify the wild rate increases ever since the Boyne buyout. I miss those days.

  15. #26265
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    cb, co
    Posts
    5,018
    Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post

    I think the preferred nomenclature is “Character-building”. 8 months of winter/winter-adjacent and roadwork balanced out by a summer of sailing on the most volatile Great Lake changes a person. Getting to pay for the pleasure is next level (even if I kinda wished I had a boat with such quick access like that).
    The better half grew up racing at the CYC since her dad worked as a race marshal in the summer when he wasn't teaching at Lakewood. She has some crazy stories, like when her and all the other 12 year olds lost their boats when a storm came out of nowhere. Lucky no one died by the sound of it.

    PS, Hilarious that people actually think that dirt pimps somehow pump up real estate prices. I wish I had some sort of superpower (that I would do something better with), but it's just basic supply and demand, and no, we're just not that good at increasing demand like that. Gold, Jerry, Gold!

  16. #26266
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    righthere/rightnow
    Posts
    3,126
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MBSHighwayHousingIndexNovember2023-11-14-2023 (1).png 
Views:	83 
Size:	605.9 KB 
ID:	477775

  17. #26267
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    10,920
    Dirt pimps would never advertise in in-flight magazines to drive demand and sell homes in desirable places...at least not within a couple pages of each other this November.

    Name:  Annotation 2023-11-29 164139.png
Views: 401
Size:  149.8 KBName:  Annotation 2023-11-29 164138.png
Views: 405
Size:  142.0 KB

    Unsolicited add on my FB feed. There's not much for sale in the wilderness area but a pretty classic example of a realtor advertising a cool place as an amenity to buying stuff nearby. Maybe considered dirt pimps pumping up an area...?

    Name:  Annotation 2023-11-30 112310.png
Views: 151
Size:  768.6 KB

    Pimpin ain't easy. Don't take it personally...we could probably rip on any career if we were in thread devoted to it.
    Last edited by Conundrum; 11-30-2023 at 12:26 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Well, I'm not allowed to delete this post, but, I can say, go fuck yourselves, everybody!

  18. #26268
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    59715
    Posts
    7,348
    Quote Originally Posted by goldenboy View Post
    The better half grew up racing at the CYC since her dad worked as a race marshal in the summer when he wasn't teaching at Lakewood. She has some crazy stories, like when her and all the other 12 year olds lost their boats when a storm came out of nowhere. Lucky no one died by the sound of it.

    PS, Hilarious that people actually think that dirt pimps somehow pump up real estate prices. I wish I had some sort of superpower (that I would do something better with), but it's just basic supply and demand, and no, we're just not that good at increasing demand like that. Gold, Jerry, Gold!
    And on the demand side, everyone loves to blame California (or Seattle, or Boulder, texass etc.) money for driving up prices, but on the supply side, I've been here 15 years and have yet to see a "California money not welcome" sign anywhere.

  19. #26269
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Last Best City in the Last Best Place
    Posts
    7,204
    I think that Switzerland article was very relevant...America is quickly becoming a "post-ownership" society as far as homes go. The supply isn't there, and what is available will be snatched up by corporations who will rent it back to people.

  20. #26270
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Greater Drictor Wydaho
    Posts
    5,367
    Quote Originally Posted by goldenboy View Post
    PS, Hilarious that people actually think that dirt pimps somehow pump up real estate prices. I wish I had some sort of superpower (that I would do something better with), but it's just basic supply and demand, and no, we're just not that good at increasing demand like that.
    Yeah, we get it. You're small fry compared to the players on the top rung over at Sotheby's. You don't do lunch with the billionaires who move on mountain towns and scoop up huge tracts of farmland for land banking. You don't hang with the guys who build golf course mansion communities on that farmland. You don't have that sort of pull. You aren't in the puffy coat mafia. You can't call on contacts in the publishing biz and get annual feature articles to pump your market.

    Supply and demand. Please. The real estate development/finance complex fucked the economy in 2008 with too much supply and now its fucked it with too little supply. One thing never changes, dirt pimps can somehow figure out how to get top dollar either fucking way!
    Last edited by neckdeep; 11-29-2023 at 10:18 PM.

  21. #26271
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    panhandle locdog
    Posts
    7,825
    Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    I think that Switzerland article was very relevant...America is quickly becoming a "post-ownership" society as far as homes go. The supply isn't there, and what is available will be snatched up by corporations who will rent it back to people.
    How many Americans actually own their houses? I feel like home ownership for most is actually a cycle of buying/refi/heloc/sell/buy/refi/heloc without ever paying the damn thing off.

  22. #26272
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Last Best City in the Last Best Place
    Posts
    7,204
    Quote Originally Posted by TAFKALVS View Post
    How many Americans actually own their houses? I feel like home ownership for most is actually a cycle of buying/refi/heloc/sell/buy/refi/heloc without ever paying the damn thing off.
    Paying off your mortgage is kind of a separate topic. But I will say this, if you buy for 100k and sell for 200k and keep the profit, you damn sure own it. Otherwise some other bastard would be pocketing that money.

  23. #26273
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Movin' On
    Posts
    3,705
    The share of US houses without a mortgage hit a record high recently.

    https://www.housingwire.com/articles...20decade%20ago.

    40% of houses are ownedf free and clear.

    It's hard to imagine people locked into crazy low rates paying off their mortgage early though. You can earn double your mortgage APR in a treasury money market fund.

    There are certain circumstances where there is a value to being mortgage free, like gaming means tested anything while early retired but no reason to pay it off while still working as best I can tell.

  24. #26274
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    3,675
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevo View Post
    The share of US houses without a mortgage hit a record high recently.

    https://www.housingwire.com/articles...20decade%20ago.

    40% of houses are ownedf free and clear.

    It's hard to imagine people locked into crazy low rates paying off their mortgage early though. You can earn double your mortgage APR in a treasury money market fund.

    There are certain circumstances where there is a value to being mortgage free, like gaming means tested anything while early retired but no reason to pay it off while still working as best I can tell.
    I have a 15yr @ 1.875%. I've got 13yrs left and pay a few hundred dollars extra per month. Should be paid off in around 11yrs. Does this make the most financial sense? No, and I know that. The idea of having no payment is worth it to me. Being able to stop paying 3yrs early is worth more the few hundred/thousand dollars in interest I might gain.

    Sent from my SM-T733 using Tapatalk

  25. #26275
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Dystopia
    Posts
    20,917
    Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    Dirt pimps would never advertise in in-flight magazines to drive demand and sell homes in desirable places...at least not within a couple pages of each other this November.

    Name:  Annotation 2023-11-29 164139.png
Views: 401
Size:  149.8 KBName:  Annotation 2023-11-29 164138.png
Views: 405
Size:  142.0 KB

    Pimpin ain't easy. Don't take it personally...we could probably rip on any career if we were in thread devoted to it.
    Jennifer Shay advertises a private office.

    Is that a hint? She seems nice.

    Also wants to build relationships? Nah. That gets complicated. I’m just interested in a transaction.

    PS. Her company has umlauts. I’m already interested in that.
    . . .

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •