Page 411 of 1084 FirstFirst ... 406 407 408 409 410 411 412 413 414 415 416 ... LastLast
Results 10,251 to 10,275 of 27097
    Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    Fixed it for you, you fucking asshole.

In my line of work, I can find the exact same job in two different geographic areas with a $70K+ per year difference in income. Now sure, housing is cheap where wages are low, but try buying a "cheap" house in the US in 2020 when you're grossing $35-40k a year. This is the fatal flaw with your point: for a lot of jobs, wages don't cover the cost of living ANYWHERE, but wages scale more closely with cost of living in expensive/desirable areas than less desirable ones.
    Don't yell at me. I'm just stating the facts.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    They tried that in Canada and it didnt really work all that well
    Pretty much every country has experimented with that policy to discover the pitfalls of allowing unprincipled people with money in to take advantage of the system. Sadly, many people suck ass and likely are use to breaking the rules to get their wealth. You don't want those fuckers, anywhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

They tried that in Canada and it didnt really work all that well
    Cayman Islands allows residency/citizenship for a “fee”, I mean investment.
    Because rich has nothing to do with money.

How’s the skiing there?

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    Pretty much every country has experimented with that policy to discover the pitfalls of allowing unprincipled people with money in to take advantage of the system. Sadly, many people suck ass and likely are use to breaking the rules to get their wealth. You don't want those fuckers, anywhere.
    the opposite of an RE crash, the RE prices in Vancover have been pretty much off the charts for many years
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I read this morning that the overall appreciation rate in Canada was 18% for the last 12 months So some areas are obviously exploding higher.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

What's a 20' igloo with a sealskin door going for up there?

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    A case of Jack Daniels, and a box of .308. If the 20' igloo has a Musk Ox fur floor, you need to throw in for a case of beer.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

I don't think Jack Daniels is really a thing up here, neither is bourbon

The housing market according to a major bank

https://thoughtleadership.rbc.com/ca...UZyddkED7KH7-I

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    Real estate prices will not drop significantly, and are going to continue this frenzied upward trend. The people driving this are making money hand over fist. We are witnessing the rapid creation of a permanent underclass in this country who will never have any hope of owning any kind of real property. It makes me sick.
    Yup.

Read this, it is exactly what you are talking about.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caste:...ur_Discontents

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Hilarious - on a lark I put in a bid on listing in Marin Co that was $36K over asking and wasn’t in the top 5 of 14 offers. Be careful out there!

I don't think Jack Daniels is really a thing up here, neither is bourbon

The housing market according to a major bank

https://thoughtleadership.rbc.com/ca...UZyddkED7KH7-I
    When I was growing up and the parents would take us into Anchorage, it was definitely a thing. Heck, any kind of alcohol was a thing. Spenard was a cesspool of drunks. And 4th avenue had you stepping on them.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    Yup.

I know, and most people here dismiss it because they're the ones driving this bullshit.

Quote Originally Posted by Toadman View Post
    When I was growing up and the parents would take us into Anchorage, it was definitely a thing. Heck, any kind of alcohol was a thing. Spenard was a cesspool of drunks. And 4th avenue had you stepping on them.
    I think Canadians buy Canadian whiskey, I don't see much Bourbon and I never been to anchorage

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    Yup.

Thanks for the rec. Ordered.

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    How much money do you need to launder?

Oh, and remember to set aside enough to build the global warming protection dome

he has interviewed all the Canadain presidents at places like Tim Hortons or Harveys burgers on Yonge st, to be interviewed by Rick Mercer means you have arrived

Quote Originally Posted by Toadman View Post
    a Musk Ox fur floor
    I'm curious if fastfred has had any requests for one of these yet.

In other news Lumber packs are up 30-40% in Portland. $6 2 x 4's

holy shit

Don't expect home prices to come down anytime soon

I think Canadians buy Canadian whiskey, I don't see much Bourbon and I never been to anchorage
    A distiller told me that the name bourbon is trademarked, or some such thing, so that only corn mash fermented/distilled in the US can claim the bourbon label. Lots of canadian whiskey includes >51% corn mash, but it can't be labeled 'bourbon'.

Quote Originally Posted by Deebased View Post

holy shit

If only there was a local source of timber in your area....

https://www.globest.com/2020/08/24/h...%20then%20some.

Rising demand has pushed up the cost of the lumber needed to build new homes, and framing lumber prices have increased more than 110% since mid-April, according to a new report from the National Association of Home Builders. Lumber prices dipped in the earliest days of the pandemic, but quickly recovered and then some.
    “[The association] estimates that these recent gains have boosted typical new single-family home prices and apartment prices by approximately $14,000 and $5,000, respectively,” according to the report. “Without increased domestic production and reductions in Canadian tariffs on softwood lumber, these higher input prices will slow the market.”

buddy of mine was a lumber trader in Vancover, he told me about buying a truck load just out of Coos bay in Oregon , pays to truck it to Williams lake BC, it sits for 2 months, the market turns around he sells it to a guy in oregon 25 miles from where it was milled which sounds like a huge waste but the customer got his product, my buddy made his % ... everyone was happy

told me about buying a truckload on one phone line and selling it to a guy on the the other phone line

Past couple of weeks lumber futures have tanked. The high wasn't demand driven like most assume. It was a temporary lack of supply due to COVID. They are still higher than 2019 levels but coming down quick.

RE is booming here, buiding supplies are high and every carpenter in town is busy

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    This. In fact, it sucks. It's a giant goddam boat anchor.
    And it's fucking expensive. Sure, you gain some freedom in doing whatever the fuck you want to your structure and land, within reason. But as someone who waited and skipped a starter home... holy fuck; the entire industry is a giant wheel to separate homeowners from their money; insurance, upkeep, construction, maintenance, property taxes, HOAs (if you're fuct enough to have one), and so on.

FML

Quote Originally Posted by Deebased View Post

holy shit

Yup. I signed for a new roof late last month and the contractor jumped on buying materials then versus waiting until no to buy. Good on him. My hit was more around plywood, but eff me running...

Quote Originally Posted by mcsquared View Post
    Past couple of weeks lumber futures have tanked. The high wasn't demand driven like most assume. It was a temporary lack of supply due to COVID. They are still higher than 2019 levels but coming down quick.
    RE is booming here, buiding supplies are high and every carpenter in town is busy
    Interesting. A friend - a residential and commercial builder - the supply prices are crazy high and continue to go up. Granted, he's in Central Oregon where growth is out of control as most of California moves north.