Page 528 of 1083 FirstFirst ... 523 524 525 526 527 528 529 530 531 532 533 ... LastLast
Results 13,176 to 13,200 of 27066
    Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    Our water bill is about $150 a month. What would it take for people to move? $1k a month bills?
    That’s insane.
    . . .

Yeah, I would think that for plenty of average Americans a monthly water bill in the $150-200 range would be enough to make them consider moving.

Our water bill is about $150 a month. What would it take for people to move? $1k a month bills?
    I think turning on the kitchen faucet and no water coming out would probably motivate people to move.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

The cities on the coast, where Live2ski is, might actually have that $1000/month option if that supports a desalinization plant. But yep, the agriculture is gone, and wealth disparity affecting those who can't afford the price of aqua will not make some areas pleasant to live. And when looking at the climate models, remember that there is great uncertainty as to the timing of precip where precip is predicted to rise. Too much rain in places where now it mostly falls as snow in winter will bring it's own challenges (and disasters).

Quote Originally Posted by Toadman View Post
    I think turning on the kitchen faucet and no water coming out would probably motivate people to move.
    Well sure, but as BCMH said in CA we could do desalinization plants, but at what cost? All I know is most everything keeps going up in price and water for sure will.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    That’s insane.
    Pfft, my daughters is $300+ a month on her duplex.
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.

Ted Striker:
    What's your opinion of this area? My wife said she visited a friend's house near there and it seemed kind of remote to her. Looks pretty nice to me.
    https://www.redfin.com/WA/Ferndale/4..._campaign=copy

AD, how long until teh global warmingz put it underwater? Otherwise a nice place.

AD, how long until teh global warmingz put it underwater? Otherwise a nice place.
    Good question. "Low-bank waterfront" might not be the draw it once was, at least on salt water.

Yeah, it's low bank alright. Like on stormy days the waves splash onto your patio.

Sandy Point is kind of strange in that it's (sort of) luxury waterfront homes but to get there you'll pass a lot of less-than-luxury properties.

It's technically on the Lummi Reservation, but I believe those properties are freehold in perpetuity. It's on tribal (well) water and sewer, but I think the garbage is private (SSC). Unless things have changed, there's no gas line, so everything is electric or you have to have a propane tank.

As non-native owned private property I think the property tax is the same as it would be living in the county, although there could be some additional stuff tacked on by the tribe (?) But really the biggest thing about owning there is that you don't have a say in your lowest level of local government.

It has the reputation of essentially being a retirement community, sprinkled with a few second homes for wealthy Canadians.

It's also in the middle of nowhere because there's nothing between it and Ferndale, about 20 minutes away. Even though Ferndale real estate has gentrified to the point where the Ferntucky moniker probably no longer applies, it's still a pretty sleepy little downtown. If you take the freeway, Bellingham is 30 mins. Canadian border is about the same.

Pfft, my daughters is $300+ a month on her duplex.
    Ok. Wow. But if water is $300 a month, that might be a sign that humans shouldn’t be there.
    . . .

I pay 250 a month for June July August and sept....no problem.

No one said it was a problem you insufferable cunt. Just putting a data point out there.

My wife complains that gas heat is $350 in the winter.

Paying $150-250 a month for water? Divorce.
    . . .

First, they ban the pools...

Moving the farming to where the water is (vertical farming etc.) is making more and more sense. All the old mill towns of the northeast were built there for one reason: plentiful, reliable water. Currently that water just flows to the ocean but it doesn't have to.

Quote Originally Posted by ötzi View Post
    Moving the farming to where the water is (vertical farming etc.) is making more and more sense. All the old mill towns of the northeast were built there for one reason: plentiful, reliable water. Currently that water just flows to the ocean but it doesn't have to.
    I drove thru North Adams on my way to Mt. Snow one time this winter. The place is on the map because of MOCA, but, man, there is still a ton of old industrial buildings along the water just waiting for that.

. . .

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    My wife complains that gas heat is $350 in the winter.

Paying $150-250 a month for water? Divorce.
    Ha, I learned long ago to just let my wife do what she wants with the heat in winter. The girl has the thinnest blood ever and needs to eat a few cheeseburgers. I do try to conserve water not because of cost but because that is what you should try to do when you live in an arid environment.

Ha, I learned long ago to just let my wife do what she wants with the heat in winter. The girl has the thinnest blood ever and needs to eat a few cheeseburgers. I do try to conserve water not because of cost but because that is what you should try to do when you live in an arid environment.
    Thus, the bathroom ring on Lake Mead and Powell.

Not enough snow and rain Benny. Nothing more. Just glad I don't live in Vegas or AZ. Living in the Desert SW is not a smart move.

Not enough snow and rain Benny. Nothing more.
    Nope. Too many people. Drive along the front range. Fly over Las Vegas. All of those humans in those buildings use water. Lots of water. Don't get me going about fountains and golf courses in Vegas. I mean, wtf? You can't just say there isn't enough melt for all of that. ALL of that didn't even exist 150 years ago. And, it's still fucking growing! Nobody is even considering the issue of overuse. It really is insane. And it's why the Midwest and East will always thrive, somewhat. Because, duh, water.

Ha, I learned long ago to just let my wife do what she wants with the heat in winter. The girl has the thinnest blood ever and needs to eat a few cheeseburgers. .
    until one day you find out on a 3000km trip in -30C weather (-38 that morning in Golden) that she really was cold cuz the heater in the suby wasn't working but whom would believe she who crys wolf ?

what fucking thread are we in ?

is this the " i love my wife but i' glad she thru me out " thread ?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by BCMtnHound View Post
    The cities on the coast, where Live2ski is, might actually have that $1000/month option if that supports a desalinization plant. But yep, the agriculture is gone, and wealth disparity affecting those who can't afford the price of aqua will not make some areas pleasant to live. And when looking at the climate models, remember that there is great uncertainty as to the timing of precip where precip is predicted to rise. Too much rain in places where now it mostly falls as snow in winter will bring it's own challenges (and disasters).
    Infrastructure. Just build some aqueducts. Problem solved.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    I drove thru North Adams on my way to Mt. Snow one time this winter. The place is on the map because of MOCA, but, man, there is still a ton of old industrial buildings along the water just waiting for that.
    They're all over the place. Millions and millions of square feet of high-ceilinged space with tons of windows, all built like brick shithouses to support heavy old machinery. Been kinda kicking the idea around with my son for a couple years now.