Page 704 of 1085 FirstFirst ... 699 700 701 702 703 704 705 706 707 708 709 ... LastLast
Results 17,576 to 17,600 of 27101
    Los Angeles was utopia in the 50s. Salt Lake City was paradise in the 70s. What's your point?

That the people resisting growth and change maybe have a point?

Quote Originally Posted by old_newguy View Post
    That the people resisting growth and change maybe have a point?
    Probably not.

Should we just kill off a third of our population so that the survivors can live the good life?

Quote Originally Posted by altasnob View Post
    Should we just kill off a third of our population so that the survivors can live the good life?
    Ah yes, hyperbole, what would the Internet be without it.

Ok, so you tell me how Bend can keep things the way Bend was circa 1997? The only way I can come up with is mass-extinction.

As a nation, we are already trying our damndest to keep things frozen in time by not building enough housing to keep up with demand. It's not working.

https://www.businessinsider.com/us-u...-decade-2020-9

Ah yes, hyperbole, what would the Internet be without it.
    the other choice is reduced living standards for the unfortunate third (death being the ultimate reduction in living standard)

who would buy all the stuff so we could have growth make money, live the good life and work towards all the problems we already have now ?
    Last edited by XXX-er; 08-20-2021 at 02:01 PM.
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Ok, so you tell me how Bend can keep things the way Bend was circa 1997? The only way I can come up with is mass-extinction.

As a nation, we are already trying our damndest to keep things frozen in time by not building enough housing to keep up with demand. It's not working.

Cold War East Berlin and South Side Chicago Projects are excellent examples of our future planned housing:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ne-13.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	1.02 MB 
ID:	382972

Tgr now - lardass work from suburbanites building cookie cutter decks from Pinterest, proclaiming their individuality

Quote Originally Posted by sirbumpsalot View Post
    Cold War East Berlin and South Side Chicago Projects are excellent examples of our future planned housing:

beats what they had for homes

Name:	Berlin-_the_Capture_and_Aftermath_of_War_1945-1947_C5284.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	1.31 MB 
ID:	382979

or should people have just gone homeless? Not that the “burbs for life” cucks are capable of thought.

Get with the times man. Here's what low income public housing looks like in Seattle today. Yesler Terrace, in the heart of the most vibrant, interesting part of the city.

Name:	Yesler-Playground02.jpg 
Size:	205.0 KB 
ID:	382976

Name:	Cypress_big.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	244.7 KB 
ID:	382977

Name:  07122016-new01-960x695.jpg
Views: 293
Size:  147.7 KB

Says somebody that has never been to a prosperous and fairly happy western European country recently, I'm guessing.

Well you can’t. And I am pro density and pro affordable housing and I have a long history in this thread and others of advocating such things.

However, I think Bend was more “livable” 10-20 years ago than now. Just turning into an unaffordable sprawling, traffic mess. So, I think the anti growth people have a point. What happened wasn’t “better”. Now, if you want to argue that they should have planned better, zoned better, etc I’m not going to disagree.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Says somebody that has never been to a prosperous and fairly happy western European country recently, I'm guessing.
    Seriously... and they've been just getting better at it for decades (maybe centuries?).

Even their "rural" areas are generally pretty dense living surrounded by lots of open space, IME.

However, I think Bend was more “livable” 10-20 years ago than now. Just turning into an unaffordable sprawling, traffic mess. So, I think the anti growth people have a point. What happened wasn’t “better”. Now, if you want to argue that they should have planned better, zoned better, etc I’m not going to disagree.
    sprawling suburb McMansion growth makes places hellscapes, not growth per se.

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    sprawling suburb McMansion growth makes places hellscapes, not growth per se.
    Maybe the people complaining about growth knew thats what was coming?

What the hell is anti-growth? How does one stop growth in a spot? What does someone who is "anti-growth" propose? Serious question. Of course Bend was more "livable" 20 years ago. What place wasn't? It comes down to a choice. Do you want more housing, which means more people, but lower housing costs? Or do you want less housing, which means less people, but higher housing costs? I haven't heard anyone complain that housing in places like Bend is too cheap. Don't you want your kids to have a chance to buy a place in this country that is not in Iowa?

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    the other choice is reduced living standards for the unfortunate third (death being the ultimate reduction in living standard)
    Isn't that pretty much the current strategy?
    Have you seen the housing and healthcare options in poor rural and poor urban areas?

I guess Bend could try to go the Aspen route. Outrageously expensive real estate that only the .01%ers can afford. And mix in just enough subsidized low income housing that the community still has enough teachers, fire fighters, cops, ect to survive. It's essentially a company town for the elite.

Maybe the people complaining about growth knew thats what was coming?
    that was in my observation of the west coast anti-growth movement, a small minority, if any existed. Anyone remember the objections to demolishing the Ballard Denny’s? “Not another condo!”

Quote Originally Posted by mfcf13 View Post
    Isn't that pretty much the current strategy?
    Have you seen the housing and healthcare options in poor rural and poor urban areas?
    poor urban residents have access to the best healthcare in the world, which they often can’t afford.

rural residents are fuct.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Says somebody that has never been to a gloomy former soviet controlled EASTERN European country during the cold war, I'm guessing?

I guess Bend could try to go the Aspen route. Outrageously expensive real estate that only the .01%ers can afford. And mix in just enough subsidized low income housing that the community still has enough teachers, fire fighters, cops, ect to survive. It's essentially a company town for the elite.
    Well....allow me to introduce you to Kentucky!

Well....allow me to introduce you to Kentucky!
    Says somebody that has never been to a gloomy former soviet controlled EASTERN European country during the cold war, I'm guessing?
    lol.