Page 881 of 1072 FirstFirst ... 876 877 878 879 880 881 882 883 884 885 886 ... LastLast
Results 22,001 to 22,025 of 26794
    btw is that an actual word or a weird kinda acronym thingie like Soho?

Quote Originally Posted by bennymac View Post
    Only in the padded room could two of TGRs biggest smartasses go at each other over Scandinavian fine dining in a thread about real estate.
    It's gossamer. Cellphones don't get ironed into place with perfect symmetry by accident. Much.

Quote Originally Posted by Brock Landers View Post
    You were in southie?
    My mutha was miss southie and will break your face with a sock full of quartahs.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Yeah, it's exactly like Soho. I believe it's "Mad Nordic" although in Danish the modefier comes after, so Noma.

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    It is a ridiculous statement to feign concern about rising housing costs when that same person is the direct driver of those rising housing costs. That is the definition of hypocrisy.

And by the way, I lived in the same valley as Kevo and saw the direct effect of these rising costs on myself and dozens of friends who lost housing, or daycare, or just the ability to continue to afford living in all sorts of ways to guys like him. It sucked to live through so when those same remote workers try and act all concerned about it and the effects on people like me or the others they displaced, I don't really buy into it, at all.
    I never had the chance to meet you in person. The rising cost of housing is a multifaceted problem that has many contributing variables. You are trying to distill this problem down into a single variable and doing your best to pin it all on "guys like me".

You make a lot of assumptions about who I am.

"Sounds appetizing. Let's name a restaurant after that!"

I only knew it from watching Somebody Feed Phil

Not to get political (but why not?), today's Roe v Wade decision will significantly curtail the growth in the Sun Belt moving forward.
    Charlie, here comes the deuce. And when you speak of me, speak well.

I would so be moving from there, but I am not some dyed in the wool MAGA fucktard.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevo View Post
    I never had the chance to meet you in person. The rising cost of housing is a multifaceted problem that has many contributing variables. You are trying to distill this problem down into a single variable and doing your best to pin it all on "guys like me".

You make a lot of assumptions about who I am.
    I don't have to make assumptions, you are very vocal about where you stand and why you do things and who you are on this board. That said, I don't blame you for moving to the valley or for working remotely. The valley is an appealing place to live and get that paper. Trust me on this, I understand and moved there for the same reasons.

What I do not support is your complete lack of recognition that you directly are causing the affordability problem. Without rehashing everything like Conundrum has highlighted, you continue to express concern for an affordability problem you directly caused. Literally no one you are displacing believes your concern about it because you went ahead and paid the increased costs and displaced a local anyways. Again, that is your right and I see why you did it, but maybe stfu up about how it worries you, or how you could do something about it. You had that chance and said fuck it, I'm paying the money. You might feel guilty about it, but then are going to get on your bike, or go for a ski, and enjoy the rest of the day while making six figures remotely and forget all about it while the people you displaced are starting over somewhere else after being forced out a place they loved.

Life isn't fair, gentrification (for lack of a better word) is a bitch, and I'm definitely bitter about a lot of things but when the displacers feign concern for the people they displaced it is straight up insulting. I say this as a guy who owned his house and was fortunate to have a decent enough job that I wasn't forced to do anything, but dozens of my friends, the people that made the valley what it was to me, were. I still had the Tetons and the snow and the access but lost most of the culture that made it great otherwise. And there were some other reasons also for why I left that I wont get into and remote workers had absolutely zero to do with, but I know what the effects of the affordability problem are and had many a teary goodbye to good people who lost out. You haven't had to go through that in your year or two yet, but you will eventually, and maybe you'll understand then.

I hope I have been able to explain my logic on this. I really don't think you are a bad guy, but sometimes what you say just comes off as extremely out of touch to the people you are talking about, so maybe this helps you understand where guys like me are coming from.

I'll also edit to add that I'm expressing this to you because you moved to Teton Valley and so it hits home to me, but it's not unique to you, and it was probably unfair of me to single you out directly. This is a story as old as time in any mountain town. I'm sure someone feels I displaced them at one point as well and I'm just some bitter old local trying to illustrate something I didn't fully grasp myself at one point either.
    Live Free or Die

Quote Originally Posted by Stu Gotz View Post
    Not to get political (but why not?), today's Roe v Wade decision will significantly curtail the growth in the Sun Belt moving forward.
    They will be building more jails to put women in so if you are in that industry you will be ok.

AR, do you still own your house there? If not, did you sell it for market value or a lot less?
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    AR, do you still own your house there? If not, did you sell it for market value or a lot less?
    Man, the reading fail in this thread really is all time. He's not mad about the evil. He's mad about the attempt to mitigate the evil. Try and keep up, will ya?

Income inequality is a structural issue that goes way beyond individual economic decisions of people like Kevo and AR.

Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    Man, the reading fail in this thread really is all time. He's not mad about the evil. He's mad about the attempt to mitigate the evil. Try and keep up, will ya?
    So Kevo should immediatley sell at below market value if he is concerned, and all other attempts to address his concerns are aggravating, insincere, and out of touch?

Looks like he is in a no-win situation in some folks eyes.

No, he’s mad about the evil expressing concern about the evil.

AR is definitely bitter, and I even understand why. But I don’t think he’s mad at the right people and it all comes off as……

…..bitter.

Income inequality and gentrification really don’t get enough attention in the pantheon of evils. But this is a case of the middle class attacking itself. The guy making six figures isn’t the problem.
    focus.

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    you went ahead and paid the increased costs and displaced a local anyways. Again, that is your right and I see why you did it, but maybe stfu up
    I’m guessing it doesn’t really matter to you, but didn’t Kevo buy in TV before the prices went nuts post-covid?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Always nice to see this thread self correct
    I don't think it's quite self corrected yet.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    I sold my house to a guy who got displaced from the Jackson side, and gave a slight discount (like 25k) but I certainly didn't leave a bunch of money on the table either.

This is good summation.

Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post
    So Kevo should immediatley sell at below market value if he is concerned, and all other attempts to address his concerns are aggravating, insincere, and out of touch?

Looks like he is in a no-win situation in some folks eyes.
    Literally no one is suggesting this, just that maybe the displacers aren't exactly the right people to be proposing solutions they ultimately just ignored in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    I’m guessing it doesn’t really matter to you, but didn’t Kevo buy in TV before the prices went nuts post-covid?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    My recollection is that he bought post covid but before the craziness of last summer. He still was part of the post pandemic wave.

Look I already admitted I'm bitter in a lot of ways, I just don't think remote workers paying the inflated prices and causing the affordability problem are the right people to be expressing concern about an affordability problem. That doesn't make them bad people, they just need to shut up about some things. No one believes them, and while the following term is loaded and means lots of things to lots of people, in my mind and lots of others, just comes off as "virtue signaling".
    Live Free or Die

Quote Originally Posted by Mustonen View Post
    Income inequality and gentrification really don’t get enough attention in the pantheon of evils. But this is a case of the middle class attacking itself. The guy making six figures isn’t the problem.
    QFT
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

If you’re this pissed off at the buyers how fucking angry are you at the sellers?

I disagree with this being the middle class attacking itself. Remote workers are a distinctly different class of person compared to the people they are displacing in mountain towns full stop.

That isn't saying they are 1%ers either, but it is an unfair generalization to say hey were all the same.
    Live Free or Die

kevo might be able to start a profitable only fans with this newfound attention.

Quote Originally Posted by m2711c View Post
    If you’re this pissed off at the buyers how fucking angry are you at the sellers?
    This comes off as victim blaming in a lot of ways. So the person who is getting fucked is responsible for doing the unfucking as well? No way.

Again, I don't blame Kevo and the like for moving to TV or paying what they do, just fucking own it and stop acting concerned about affordability right after you do it.
    Live Free or Die

He’s not pissed off at the buyers - he’s pissed off at the buyers who then express concern about the situation they played a role in worsening (and had every right to play a role in as AR stated)

Agree or disagree with him - and I don’t have a dog in this fight - but JFC people he wrote a clear explanation and a lot of you can’t seem to manage simple reading comprehension

So a person with the means to pay for something can not be concerned for those that can't? Huh...your mind is fucked up pal.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.