Page 876 of 1072 FirstFirst ... 871 872 873 874 875 876 877 878 879 880 881 ... LastLast
Results 21,876 to 21,900 of 26794
    Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    For you Italian property dreamers, one of my favorite Youtube channels is this real estate guy from Umbria and Tuscany that just showcases sweet houses for sale.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwh...DLQ1IgG8M7sfjQ
    Mmmmm... Toscana...

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Mmmmm... Toscana...
    Good luck finding a place in "Toscana", there's not even anywhere to rent...

"They don't think it be like it is, but it do."

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    Yeah, that read like

"American archaeologist travels to Egypt to search for a wooden box covered with gold. Once found, he loads the box on a ship that's intercepted by German soldiers who seize the box. The American stows away on the U-boat, but is discovered and detained by the soldiers. Shortly after arriving at their secret island, the soldiers die from unnatural causes, and the archeologist takes the box to America where it's stored in a warehouse." 115 minutes, Rated PG
    That could be a cool movie!
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

Quote Originally Posted by subtle plague View Post
    That could be a cool movie!
    Yes, please include whips and snakes.

Quote Originally Posted by Summer View Post
    Was seriously looking into moving to Vancouver a few years ago and have an uncle who lived in Seattle for years and loved it.
    Basically said if we didn't really want to live in Sydney that we wouldn't be big fans of living in Vancouver either.
    They share challenging geography for transportation (so mostly gridlock), an abundance of natural beauty, and off-the-charts access to outdoor pursuits compared to most other cities of their size. That can't be overstated. The cliche of doing a quick ski lap / mtn bike / sea kayak / sup in the morning, having an urban lunch (of nearly any cuisine) and/or micro-brew - or even pretending to do a few hours of work - then seeing a major sports team / opera / concert, all on the same day is actually attainable.

They both have a price of admission too steep for the common man, with massive social disparity among those already there, forming a permanent underclass. They both have sprawling suburbs and exurbs with (some) people who never actually go to the city.

But for all the similarities, the vibe is completely different. The Seattle freeze is real (and extends all the way to Bellingham). Vancouver is more ethnically/culturally diverse, but visit Surrey, Richmond, Burnaby, and North Van in a day, and you'll see an incredible level of self selecting segregation. Seattle has a fast pace. Vancouver is on mañana time (ironic because their Mexican game is non-existent).

Now that I've insulted everyone on both sides of the border...

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    The beer picture has certainly improved massively over the last decade, though.

My dream is to move somewhere north of Vancouver. Lions Bay would be my #1 spot, but not exactly cheap. Still close to Vancouver and only an hour or so from Whistler.
    Reductivist quips are my go-to when I'm too lazy to come up with a better joke. I agree that the beer scene there has come a long way, but would also argue there's still plenty of room for improvement.

I had a friend who lived in Lions Bay, and it feels very isolated (although the convenience store has beer on tap). If it were me, I'd try to rent a place over the winter to get the full picture before committing.

I always drove everywhere and it was tedious but the rapid transit all the way out to the airport makes getting around Vancover pretty easy

https://financialpost.com/executive/...box=1655814094

" This month too Magenta Capital Corporation, one of Canada’s largest private lenders, decided to temporarily halt new loan applications until September. Although Magenta accounts for only a small portion of total lending, it is a big player in the subprime market, says Capital, and its decision may only be the beginning. "

a mortgage lender chooses to stop writing mortgages ^^ so what are they gona do, sounds bizarre to me
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I had a friend who lived in Lions Bay, and it feels very isolated (although the convenience store has beer on tap). If it were me, I'd try to rent a place over the winter to get the full picture before committing.
    That's part of what appeals to me. Want to be somewhere without homeless camps and criminal activity that the cops simply ignore (see also your mention of places with "massive social disparity" ).

I wouldn't consider moving there unless I was fully retired. It would be hell to have to regularly commute into downtown Vancouver or something like that but I like the idea of being somewhere somewhat remote, but still with good access to the city. And overlooking Howe Sound and being an hour from Whistler wouldn't be bad...

Yeah, I hear ya. B'ham has a homeless problem disproportionate to its size due to a mild climate and proximity to Seattle. It had been at a tolerable equilibrium for quite a while, but our republican snowflake sheriff got his knickers in a twist over defunding the police (didn't actually happen here), not funding a new jail (did happen) and changes to the vehicular pursuit law, so now it's open season for property crime.

But I think West Van would be pretty good on that front too, yet more convenient.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    I always drove everywhere and it was tedious but the rapid transit all the way out to the airport makes getting around Vancover pretty easy

https://financialpost.com/executive/...box=1655814094

" This month too Magenta Capital Corporation, one of Canada’s largest private lenders, decided to temporarily halt new loan applications until September. Although Magenta accounts for only a small portion of total lending, it is a big player in the subprime market, says Capital, and its decision may only be the beginning. "

a mortgage lender chooses to stop writing mortgages ^^ so what are they gona do, sounds bizarre to me
    How many customers do they have wanting mortgages? They just might not have much business these days.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    That's part of what appeals to me. Want to be somewhere without homeless camps and criminal activity that the cops simply ignore (see also your mention of places with "massive social disparity" ).

I wouldn't consider moving there unless I was fully retired. It would be hell to have to regularly commute into downtown Vancouver or something like that but I like the idea of being somewhere somewhat remote, but still with good access to the city. And overlooking Howe Sound and being an hour from Whistler wouldn't be bad...
    The BC summer heat domes and fall atmospheric rivers seem ripe for more landslides on those kinds of slopes (my complete amateur know-nothing about slope stability opinion)

Yeah, I hear ya. B'ham has a homeless problem disproportionate to its size due to a mild climate and proximity to Seattle. It had been at a tolerable equilibrium for quite a while, but our republican snowflake sheriff got his knickers in a twist over defunding the police (didn't actually happen here), not funding a new jail (did happen) and changes to the vehicular pursuit law, so now it's open season for property crime.

But I think West Van would be pretty good on that front too, yet more convenient.
    what changed in Vancouver to eliminate the property crime/addict issue? Or did it just never affect the outer regions?

One thing Sydney did way better in the past was cafes. Probably because of all the youth trustafarii

Provo, UT is on sale! Get in while it's not hot!

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/h...003123291.html

In May, a staggering 47.8% of Provo sellers slashed their list price. That's up from 12.2% in May 2021.
    Just behind Provo were Tacoma, Wash. (where 47.7% of listings got a price cut); Denver (46.9%); Salt Lake City (45.8%); Sacramento (44.3%); Boise, Idaho (44.2%); Ogden, Utah (42.6%); Portland, Ore. (42.0%); Indianapolis (41.9%); and Philadelphia (41.2%).

But don't be mistaken: These list cuts don't mean home prices are falling on a year-over-year basis across the nation. At least not yet. It's normal for home prices to begin to fall on a month-over-month basis as the hot spring market fades and the slower summer months set in. We'll still need to wait longer to see if a year-over-year price drop—historically rare—will manifest.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    what changed in Vancouver to eliminate the property crime/addict issue? Or did it just never affect the outer regions?
    More the second sentence. Vancouver proper still has a major homelessness/addiction problem. And it does extend to the outer regions, but not equally.

So WRT to West Vancouver, it's both distance and affluence. They're incorporated and have their own police force, whose mandate is protecting wealthy people's property (and property values). Well, when they're not hassling skateboarders, and kids drinking on the beach.

That said, I'm sure there are a few homeless people camping in the woods, but it's the most sanitized burb of Vancouver by a long shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Toadman View Post
    Provo, UT is on sale! Get in while it's not hot!

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/h...003123291.html
    Without bothering to look at any of the data, my take is that is they've cut prices from "absurd" to "slightly less absurd." There are far worse places to live than Provo, but it's every Utah stereotype and then some. Last summer I did a bike ride outside Springville, a 'burb just south of Provo, and stopped at a grocery store after to buy a beer; the store did not sell beer. Utah County (where Provo is located) is projected to grow 100% in the next 10-15 years, so a true "crash" in housing prices seems unlikely. Salt Lake County is projected to grow 50% in the same period.

Boise is similar to what Dan is saying. We've seen more properties go up for sale and have sat a little and reduced. But they are still double what they would have sold for 2-3 years ago. And we are still hurting on the supply side. I don't see a major tank in housing here. Maybe a dip to plateau. Median is still around $600k. Out of the realm for many.
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Well, I'm not allowed to delete this post, but, I can say, go fuck yourselves, everybody!

I think it would, too, but I don't think I could realistically afford to buy there. Definitely not anything with a water view.

Redfin has decent data visualizations: https://www.redfin.com/news/data-center/

Anecdotally, I'm seeing multiple listings in our development in VT in the past month or two, after maybe one or two a year in the four years we've been here. They all went under agreement in a couple weeks, which correlates to the Redfin data showing the Burlington metro area median days on market go from ~70 in 2019 and 2020 to ~40 last year, and under 20 so far this year. Our neighborhood was mostly built in the early nineties, so there is some turnover as people who bought the home originally are moving away, and I'm guessing have been waiting to time the market.

Price drops are up 1% or so year over year this year, but with people paying $100-200k over ask recently I don't blame sellers for throwing big numbers out there to see what would happen.

in no particular order

There is a lot of craft brew everywhere in BC even up narth, there is a brewers college in Olds Alberta or I know a guy who went to Chermany. The local craft brew a block away won a silver in the Canada wide beer comp for best stout, I think the big question might be how many of these craft brews survive ?

I know guy who went to uni for a career in brewing beer, takes a left turn and ends up being a big player in the legal pot bidness which i think makes mo money for way less work/ less investment/ less hassle than brewing beer 80% of which is lets face it standing around in rubber boots washing out vats

BC is set to decriminalize small amounts of hard drugs

Quote Originally Posted by Toadman View Post
    How many customers do they have wanting mortgages? They just might not have much business these days.
    You were suposed to read that and say " wow a big player in a redhot RE market writing subprime mortgages has suspended writing ANY mortgages for a whole quarter, I wonder why that is ?? "

It’s all just a mix of dirt, rocks, wood, water, metal, and plastic in different spots on Mother Earth.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    There is a lot of craft brew everywhere in BC even up narth
    Honestly, craft breweries per sq mile should be another data point on Redfin

well Craft brew is a pretty recent thing in BC due to the liqour laws, I think now there is like one in every small town up narth

Here in town there are 2 in < a square mile, i call it "the Beermuda triangle" which is the triangle formed by the 2 breweries and my house

Real Estate Crash thread

3x as many sales last month Vs 2021 in my hood. Inventory up and dom up 100% last three months. In 2019 dom was 3x higher than it was now.

Nice house. Quiet street. Marked down $100k and well below the estimated price.

https://apps.realtor.com/mUAZ/hf2147l4

I was about to say - if you can't find a beer you like in BC - your manbun might be wound too tight.

That being said, Vancouver sucks, BC sucks, Canada sucks - you def don't want to move here. We are full!*

*This message brought to you by the BC NDP Party.

average house price in West Van is 2million usd - probably worth it too

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    Boise is similar to what Dan is saying. We've seen more properties go up for sale and have sat a little and reduced. But they are still double what they would have sold for 2-3 years ago. And we are still hurting on the supply side. I don't see a major tank in housing here. Maybe a dip to plateau. Median is still around $600k. Out of the realm for many.
    Basically the same here. Inventory up slightly, but still well well below "normal". Seeing increased DOM because spring sellers overshot the mark. Same sellers are the ones doing price drops. Priced right stuff is still moving very fast. Agent in my office listed a condo yesterday AM and had 12 showings scheduled within the first hour. Seller didn't attempt some insane price.......yet they will still make a very good profit in a few years time instead of a a decade. SFH median is over 800k.

June is always a lull here. Kids out of school, lots of people camping etc. July actually picks back up always. The overpriced stuff will eventually be price dropped and picked up or terminated. Personally, I think were in a tiny buying window for the savy buyer. There is stuff to be snatched. Desperate sellers who over shot the mark, then price drop, then freak about their DOM, then start taking below asking offers. It's happening, but I don't think thats the new norm. A slight adjustment period. New listings will be priced to move fast again, inventory will still suck. Calmer environment but I don't see TONS of new inventory anytime soon.