Page 600 of 1080 FirstFirst ... 595 596 597 598 599 600 601 602 603 604 605 ... LastLast
Results 14,976 to 15,000 of 26982
    Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    No, because the arts are for people that live in a country that pays their education or here with Bank of Dad to cover it. Going into debt is dumb for a liberal or fine arts education.
    Let me guess.. Dogs playing poker?

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    Virtually everything the current tech or bio industries relies on came out of physics, bio, chemistry and math, liberal arts majors if there are any.

That said, my son wants to be a physicist, but is simultaneously working on plans to get an electricians license.
    FWIW, that's the trade I would point people toward above any other. Clean work (for the trades), pays well, and tends to attract folks with a little more going on upstairs. Wiring a commercial building takes a bit more brain power than making sure that you don't have leaks and that all your shit is flowing downhill.

That being said, I hope he's comfortable with heights and big ladders.

High water mark?Name:  IMG_5684_20210612_141225.jpeg
Views: 1535
Size:  30.5 KB

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using TGR Forums mobile app
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Also, who's to say that home construction may eventually be disrupted by technology, therefore eliminating once lucrative trades? Like that hasn't happened somewhat already?
    3D printers.

Quote Originally Posted by climberevan View Post

Nah, we've been seeing triple digit prices for sheets of plywood around here for months.

Entry level journey folks are making that in the Puget Sound area. Certified electrician are making in excess of $200k/year here. One of the local tv stations did a story on this last year, interviewing electrical contractors who can't get enough electricians.
    Anecdotally, sure. Anecdotally some lawyers make 8 figure salaries. That’s not a good reason to go into law school, though, because that isn’t reality.
    focus.

Quote Originally Posted by Mustonen View Post
    Anecdotally, sure. Anecdotally some lawyers make 8 figure salaries. That’s not a good reason to go into law school, though, because that isn’t reality.
    What's this reality stuff ? How much does it cost?

Anyway, the fact that several electrical contractors in the Puget Sound can't staff up for their projects to the extent it warranted a news feature story is a bit more than anecdotal.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Real Estate Crash thread

What's this reality stuff ? How much does it cost?

Anyway, the fact that several electrical contractors in the Puget Sound can't staff up for their projects to the extent it warranted a news feature story is a bit more than anecdotal.
    It’s only relevant if they were offering $200k with no takers, though.
    focus.

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    No, because the arts are for people that live in a country that pays their education or here with Bank of Dad to cover it. Going into debt is dumb for a liberal or fine arts education.
    you ever think about the amount of art involved to get a bottle of beer into your hand, art on the label on the beer case the artists singing on a beer commercial ?

all that stuff doesnt just happen it takes artists
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Exactly. Those guys making $200K aren't journeymen, so they've been pulling wire full time for 10+ years to be making that kind of money. And they probably spent a number of years making less than $50k with shitty/nonexistent benefits to get there.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    you ever think about the amount of art involved to get a bottle of beer into your hand, art on the label on the beer case the artists singing on a beer commercial ?

all that stuff doesnt just happen it takes artists
    In America, those tasks get farmed out to the business owner's wife/gf, who does them without compensation. I've seen it firsthand several times.

And the end result of that attitude toward art and artists is a country and society that are reprehensibly ugly in every way, shape and form. America!

so mrs Coors does it eh ?

the writing jingles, label &case art

I'd like to see you run that one past mrs glademaster,

you be eating takeout pizza and sleeping in the garage tonight

They offered no experience $60k with training and benefits with guaranteed $50/hour after 2 years and claimed over $200k for their full cert guys.

There's lots of IT/software jobs around here that pay less than $60k. So it's relevant.

Admittedly, this is in the greater Puget Sound where construction is going bananas.

The point being that despite the glamor of the tech industry, there are ways to make a buck and have a future here in the trades.

Quote Originally Posted by old_newguy View Post
    Bunion, are you doing erosion control or something?

In a broad sense yes.

Part of my service is to prevent erosion. Basically I help builders/developers in minimizing the total pollutants leaving job sites and muddy water is considered a pollutant.

That's when I learned that people are crazy. The homeowners couldn't wait a few months for things to get more reasonable.
    QFT, everything here is based on when the homeowners want to move in with X-mas, July 4th and Turkeyday being the big 3. Snow removal is big business and if you have a contained spot to dump snow and a couple of trucks to haul and dump you can make good $$$.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Back in the day I bought a T-shirt at Likely paddlefest, my GF the teacher & spelling nazi pointed out that Likley was mis-spelled which I point out to the organizer, buddy said he got really busy so he let the guy in the tattoo shop take care of it

They offered no experience $60k with training and benefits with guaranteed $50/hour after 2 years and claimed over $200k for their full cert guys.

There's lots of IT/software jobs around here that pay less than $60k. So it's relevant.

Admittedly, this is in the greater Puget Sound where construction is going bananas.

The point being that despite the glamor of the tech industry, there are ways to make a buck and have a future here in the trades.
    Your protestations notwithstanding, that’s still pretty anecdotal and you’re still grasping at outliers. Google says median electrician salary in that area is around $80k, which… sure. I’m not saying that the trades aren’t a valid career path, but to my point and to the thread, it isn’t looking good as a path to home ownership given current trends. How much does a 2000 square ft 3 bedroom home cost in puget sound?
    focus.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post
    In a broad sense yes.

Part of my service is to prevent erosion. Basically I help builders/developers in minimizing the total pollutants leaving job sites and muddy water is considered a pollutant.

thats cool ^^ locally we have a sawmill where they designed the drainage so all the runoff from a mill and log yard goes thru a meandering pond full of rushes & cattails before going into the Bulkley river

From https://www.comparably.com/salaries/...-in-seattle-wa

Salary Ranges for Union Electricians in Seattle, WA
    The salaries of Union Electricians in Seattle, WA range from $35,879 to $173,907 , with a median salary of $75,369 . The middle 57% of Union Electricians makes between $75,369 and $108,139, with the top 86% making $173,907.

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...le_WA/overview
    Median Seattle house price is $765k.

Assuming a $600k loan at 3%, monthlies are around $2800.

If a kid starts out as an electrician, ends up in their 30s making $8k/month as an employee, no where near the top end of the data, that's well into the ballpark for a loan. Plus, they're set up to start their own contracting company.

So, I still think there's an argument for it.

Then there's this ad:

Journeyman/Journeywoman Plumber
    apex mechanical
    Seattle, WA
    $75 - $95 an hour

Until tech learns to run on something other than electricity, there will be a need for electricians.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Quote Originally Posted by climberevan View Post

Who the fuck is buying this plywood at those prices? Fuck BTC, buy OSB!
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Glamour? Tech industry?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Right. Here too. Plus $200k gross as a contractor/business owner is a lot different than $200k gross as a W2 employee who also has benefits.

I brought it up because it was stated earlier in this thread that in this market much less than $100k and it’s damn hard to afford a reasonable house in a place you want to live, and to actually be comfortable it’s closer to $200k. And then we started talking about how more kids should look into trades.

Look at median home price, and then look at the average electrician salary of under $60k/year. And then tell me why my kid shouldn’t set their sights on engineering or medicine or even business.
    I don’t know where you get electricians for $60k a year. Sometimes I think those stats are weighed down by people saying I’m an “x” who really aren’t. The average accountant salary is less than $60k according to Google but I pay fresh out of college accountants $50-60 and most people on staff make $100+.

Its Saturday children. Bong hits and bike rides

I'm buy 3/4 birch for less than a 100 a sheet. acx 5/8 whatevs

Lumber will drop like a rock once the lazy politicians get off there hands and start asking questions only to find out we are being gouged but that won't happen

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    thats cool ^^ locally we have a sawmill where they designed the drainage so all the runoff from a mill and log yard goes thru a meandering pond full of rushes & cattails before going into the Bulkley river
    That is related but a different discipline. Its all interesting work and there are all kinds of opportunities, if anyone has any experience in taking business models and converting them to franchise opportunities I would love to talk to them.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Electricians doing engineering and supervising high voltage installs and power grid shit are making 200k Jimmy half fried pulling wire w a journey mans lic is getting 45k dont kid yourself

Alot of the high wage paying companies are run by assholes and have huge turnovers there is a couple around me.

My best bud growing up is an electrician in the bay area he makes good money no college does hard core commercial work watched a co worker get fryed by endless amps couldn't touch the guy he got smoked to a crisp until they shut the power down they were working on a live disconnect in silicon valley so he quit on the spot wanted to be realtor realized that sucks and went back to being an electrician

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk