Page 511 of 1084 FirstFirst ... 506 507 508 509 510 511 512 513 514 515 516 ... LastLast
Results 12,751 to 12,775 of 27076
    Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    Time to sell and move to Texas and reap the rewards.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by dan_pdx View Post
    Yeah, one thing I don't understand is how sometimes I'll be looking at houses in cheaper areas like the Midwest and there will be a house that's obviously a flip selling for like $200k when other houses in the neighborhood are selling for $150k or whatever. How is it worthwhile to do 3-6 months of remodeling for $50k?
    for the flipper? It’s a good job for flyover country.

for the buyer? There can be a shitload of stuff that ages way faster in the rust belt. Not uncommon for trades to spend a month updating a used home purchase, which doesn’t work for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    I'd like to do some remote work from places like Tuscany, the Alps, and the Canadian Rockies... so I'm gathering information.
    Wouldn’t you be an illegal immigrant?

If it’s a small corp they might not care, but for larger corps couldn’t it produce legal problems?

Honestly, since most telework-friendly jobs are in tech or biz stuff, an often large issue is data transfer with the collapse of privacy shield, so double check. Some asian countries especially have incredibly restrictive data access policies, and by being their physically you subject company assets to their jurisdictional laws.

I'm planning some don't ask don't tell travel with my new WFH situation, but it's all domestic, and something I know my direct supervisor knows I'll be doing. I'm pretty sure international is a no go though since I work in healthcare.

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    Wouldn’t you be an illegal immigrant?

If it’s a small corp they might not care, but for larger corps couldn’t it produce legal problems?
    Well, for short-term stuff (less than 6mo), I don't think most countries care... but maybe I'm wrong.

My work would be entirely over VPN - I would be using a laptop to access a Citrix desktop "back home" so a lot of the data concerns, I suspect, would be mitigated.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    my house went up something like $50k in the last 30 days, wtf.
    I just looked at the Zestimate for my home in Jackson Hole:

Name:  Screen Shot 2021-04-08 at 4.16.16 PM.png
Views: 856
Size:  9.7 KB

Up 158.4% in the last 30 days!

Wow. I'm sure it was a hell of a bargain 30 days ago!

The last thing I would want to do if I was in Tuscany or the Alps is log on an work. What the fuck is wrong with you people. Take time off and go on a vacation so you can enjoy it.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Quote Originally Posted by RoooR View Post
    Its the commute for me taking time from after work riding. If I'm done with work at 4pm I can be at the top of Bjorn and ready to shred by 5.
    I would do this straight from the office but the 5 and 7 year olds put a real cramp on it.

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    The last thing I would want to do if I was in Tuscany or the Alps is log on an work. What the fuck is wrong with you people. Take time off and go on a vacation so you can enjoy it.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    You're thinking too small, man... of course there will be vacationing while we are there.

You know how much easier an Italian holiday is when you're already there? Way easier than if you're really far away.

Besides - if you're there, even weekends can be a holiday.

Think BIGGER, man... bigger.

Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post

And man, that Michigan zillow house Mustonen posted is cool. That's easily a $1m house in certain neighborhoods here. Cause I was on zillow I checked my house. Up 10% in the last 30 days if you can trust zillow.
    $1m buys you this:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...ource=txtshare
    focus.

my house went up something like $50k in the last 30 days, wtf.
    Only 23k here but we've crested the half a million dollar mark so I guess we have that going for us.

You're thinking too small, man... of course there will be vacationing while we are there.

You know how much easier an Italian holiday is when you're already there? Way easier than if you're really far away.

Besides - if you're there, even weekends can be a holiday.

Think BIGGER, man... bigger.
    yeah, this isn't really hard. Would I rather take a 2 week vacation in Italy or would I rather live in Italy for 6 months, doing weekend jaunts AND taking a 2 week vacation in Italy.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

yeah, this isn't really hard. Would I rather take a 2 week vacation in Italy or would I rather live in Italy for 6 months, doing weekend jaunts AND taking a 2 week vacation in Italy.
    Shit - and with the wholly civilized train system, I could take jaunts to the Alps from Tuscany...

Or pop over to Venice for a nice seafood dinner.

Well, for short-term stuff (less than 6mo), I don't think most countries care... but maybe I'm wrong.d.
    the list that didn’t care used to be small. The list that didn’t know was I think much longer. Schengen area >90 days in 180 will require a long stay visa, which they might care a bit more about.

As long as you don’t ever want to go back you can stay as long as you want.

I'm sure your HR team will embrace your plan with open arms.

That's what I'm thinking... at what point in time do complications arise?
    Well, for short-term stuff (less than 6mo), I don't think most countries care... but maybe I'm wrong.
    I know a little something about living in Canada, and your problem as a 180 day "tourist" is going to be that you won't have heath care and probably wouldn't have ICBC car insurance. If you were to get either of those things, the government would "deam" you a resident, and you would be on the hook for both federal and provincial income tax.

It's been interesting watching Mark Walter, an owner of the Dodgers, buy up just about every commercial building he can get his hands on in Crested Butte, and even downvalley in Almont. And nobody really knows his plans. https://coloradosun.com/2021/04/09/m...utte-downtown/

Quote Originally Posted by goldenboy View Post
    It's been interesting watching Mark Walter, an owner of the Dodgers, buy up just about every commercial building he can get his hands on in Crested Butte, and even downvalley in Almont. And nobody really knows his plans. https://coloradosun.com/2021/04/09/m...utte-downtown/
    Watch out. You guys bout to get CrossHarbor'd. Walter's partners with Frank McCourt, who's up in the Yellowstone Club. Start paying attention, because I'd put money on it that your town's getting taken over behind the scenes just like Big Sky did.

My guess is he will kick out the small Mom and Pop shops and bring in Gucci, Prada and Bogner. Does Crested Butte have a Four Seasons? That's probably on the drawing board too. On the plus side property values will go up along with property taxes, and the "middle class" homeowner will be forced to sell because they can't afford to stay. From what I've read on this thread that's a good thing!
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

He kicked the tires on my friends place on Elk. Brand new, with a rental out back. They are keeping their cards close to the vest though, and after it took them 5 years to build the thing, I think they want to at least enjoy it for a summer first.

I honestly don't believe the guy would ruin everything that makes CB unique though, and I don't see Gucci really being all that successful there, but who knows. Jackson used to be a town that kicked every chain out but then a Starbucks made it, and now they are opening a Target, REI, et al.
    Live Free or Die

Quote Originally Posted by Toadman View Post
    My guess is he will kick out the small Mom and Pop shops and bring in Gucci, Prada and Bogner. Does Crested Butte have a Four Seasons? That's probably on the drawing board too. On the plus side property values will go up along with property taxes, and the "middle class" homeowner will be forced to sell because they can't afford to stay. From what I've read on this thread that's a good thing!
    Hell yeah it’s a good thing. Those middle class people just got moved to upper and are wealthy now. Regular old American dream story right there.

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    <snip> Jackson used to be a town that kicked every chain out but then a Starbucks made it, and now they are opening a Target, REI, et al.
    Come on - they had a K-Mart for like, forever, man...