Page 756 of 1085 FirstFirst ... 751 752 753 754 755 756 757 758 759 760 761 ... LastLast
Results 18,876 to 18,900 of 27101
    Quote Originally Posted by The Artist Formerly Known as Leavenworth Skier View Post
    Why do you want to move to Bellingham so bad? I understand wanting to leave PDX but Bellingham seems like a lateral move to me?
    Do they have a couple shootings a week and homeless crisis in Bellingham?

Quote Originally Posted by old_newguy View Post
    Probably. Plus a bunch more dirty Canadians running around.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

If not now, within a few years I'm sure. Which is why I'm curious why a person would want to move to Bellingham from PDX. Seems like you're going to get maybe 3 - 7 years of respite from the PDX bullshit, and then its gonna be on your doorstep.

Quote Originally Posted by The Artist Formerly Known as Leavenworth Skier View Post
    If not now, within a few years I'm sure. Which is why I'm curious why a person would want to move to Bellingham from PDX. Seems like you're going to get maybe 3 - 7 years of respite from the PDX bullshit, and then its gonna be on your doorstep.
    And then you migrate to the next “cool” place. Certainly not picking on dan pdx but isn’t that how it goes? A place is cool, a mass migration wants that cool lifestyle and not anyone person changes anything but the collective baggage dulls the shine and those with the means then go to the next “cool” place and so on? Those without the means to leave watch where they always lived and loved change and can do nothing about it.

Nothing wrong or right about the situation. Just good for those looking to leave something and bad for those not liking the change and a bunch of stuff in the middle.

Ask me about the less than one year resident CA transplant that just got his ass kicked in our city council election. His platform was “don’t let here become what I just left”. I didn’t run so as much shame on me for doing nothing as on him for being a tone deaf dickhead. I’m sure he’d be great to have a beer with though.

The biggest trigger for the move is that I got a job in the Seattle metro last year right around the time the world was ending. Sometime in 2022, I'm going to need to actually start going to the office two days a week. We looked around the Seattle area and didn't really see anywhere we'd like to live - Bellingham was way more appealing and maybe a little cheaper (hard to make an apples to apples comparison). From Bellingham, I can commute in to Seattle and couch surf in Seattle one night a week.

So that's the main reason, but I also think outdoor access in Bellingham is miles better than PDX. Seems Mt. Baker is still uncrowded compared to Meadows, all the water sports are right there, and you can bike to mountain biking. Quick access to BC when our democracy falls is also a bonus.

On top of that, I'm turning into a whiny shit who won't stop complaining about how Portland has changed. I think it will help to restart the clock in a new town - it'll be 20 years before I have to start whining again. I have to admit that no state income tax also has a certain appeal.

Could Maine really be #3 in the soaring home price arms race?

https://sugarloafmountainside.com/su...ea3dxJYkLVyhd8

Quote Originally Posted by ticketchecker View Post
    Could Maine really be #3 in the soaring home price arms race?

https://sugarloafmountainside.com/su...ea3dxJYkLVyhd8

I mean, it makes sense given that you can still drive to Boston for the odd meeting.

Quote Originally Posted by dan_pdx View Post
    The biggest trigger for the move is that I got a job in the Seattle metro last year right around the time the world was ending. Sometime in 2022, I'm going to need to actually start going to the office two days a week. We looked around the Seattle area and didn't really see anywhere we'd like to live - Bellingham was way more appealing and maybe a little cheaper (hard to make an apples to apples comparison). From Bellingham, I can commute in to Seattle and couch surf in Seattle one night a week.

So that's the main reason, but I also think outdoor access in Bellingham is miles better than PDX. Seems Mt. Baker is still uncrowded compared to Meadows, all the water sports are right there, and you can bike to mountain biking. Quick access to BC when our democracy falls is also a bonus.

On top of that, I'm turning into a whiny shit who won't stop complaining about how Portland has changed. I think it will help to restart the clock in a new town - it'll be 20 years before I have to start whining again. I have to admit that no state income tax also has a certain appeal.

The drive from Bellinham to Baker is a lot further than you think. That drive always felt like an eternity to me. If I were in your position, Bellingham would be on my list of places to consider buying, but it would be number five or six on that list.

Quote Originally Posted by schuss View Post
    I mean, it makes sense given that you can still drive to Boston for the odd meeting.
    I'm in Portland and can confirm it went ballistic, was still shocked to see us at #3. Carrabassett Valley RE #'s are completely stoopid, friend of mine just sold a camp for $280k that she got for $120k around six years ago. A friggin camp on posts bub

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    The drive from Bellinham to Baker is a lot further than you think. That drive always felt like an eternity to me. If I were in your position, Bellingham would be on my list of places to consider buying, but it would be number five or six on that list.
    I always loved that drive, I did it round trip before work a lot of days. But yeah, it definitely cuts into actual ski time.

Dan, are there any other towns that are up for discussion or is Bham the one and only target? I haven't lived there since 2003, and was just a snowboard bum with no aspirations besides travel and snowboarding back then, but I remember there being some pretty sweet places outside of town or in some of the smaller neighboring towns that were totally livable and nice. Of course, everyone's standards are different.

Good luck man, if I could convince the SO to move to the PNW I'd be up there in a heartbeat.

If you need to be in Seattle only two days a week how about something on the east side of Snoqualmie? I could see living in Cle Elum/Roslyn or Ellensburg if I had to meet those requirements.

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    If you need to be in Seattle only two days a week how about something on the east side of Snoqualmie? I could see living in Cle Elum/Roslyn or Ellensburg if I had to meet those requirements.

this. I know multiple contractors who live in that area that commute every single day, and during winters their company rents a 1bdrm crashpad on the west side for them to stay at during snow storms and pass closures.

If you arent into the cultural aspects of the Seattle metro, then living east of the pass (2 or 90, though 90 is half the time to seattle) is ideal. Another option would be living out near Lake Tapps... with easy access to crystal and MRNP.

Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post
    this. I know multiple contractors who live in that area that commute every single day, and during winters their company rents a 1bdrm crashpad on the west side for them to stay at during snow storms and pass closures.

If you arent into the cultural aspects of the Seattle metro, then living east of the pass (2 or 90, though 90 is half the time to seattle) is ideal. Another option would be living out near Lake Tapps... with easy access to crystal and MRNP.
    Ditto.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

One of the most posted Qs on our reddit sub is "what was that bang?" It's a running joke at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    It's about 90 minutes from my place to Meadows as long as you get out early and there's no wrecks or ice. The drive to Baker is less than that, no? Also, seems that Baker doesn't have the same problem with crowds that we have at Meadows. But what's #1-4 on your list?

Quote Originally Posted by Name Redacted View Post
    I always loved that drive, I did it round trip before work a lot of days. But yeah, it definitely cuts into actual ski time.

Dan, are there any other towns that are up for discussion or is Bham the one and only target? I haven't lived there since 2003, and was just a snowboard bum with no aspirations besides travel and snowboarding back then, but I remember there being some pretty sweet places outside of town or in some of the smaller neighboring towns that were totally livable and nice. Of course, everyone's standards are different.

Good luck man, if I could convince the SO to move to the PNW I'd be up there in a heartbeat.
    We looked at a few towns east of Seattle: Union Hill, Carnation, Fall City, around that area. Both me and Mrs. PDX wanted a little more town than that: I'd like to be able to bike / walk to some services, and it's hard out there. I was pushing for North Bend, but Mrs. PDX found out it's rainier there than further west, and that was a dealbreaker. Sammamish and Issaquah is really not our style - we swoon over 100-year-old houses that need massive amounts of TLC, not that interested in living in a development. We looked at a couple of areas in Seattle and said "meh, it's like Portland, but more expensive with worse traffic."

Thanks for the suggestions, I've looked at listings in Cle Elum, but not those other towns. We want a little more town than Cle Elum, but yeah, if there's something else you think is worth checking out, I'm all ears. Criteria are within about 90 minutes - 2 hours to Bellevue, good trail access (for hiking), road or mountain biking, 90 minutes or so to lift-served, and a town that has at least a brewery. (don't necessarily care about breweries per se, it's just a proxy for some level of community / services). All of those are negotiable to some point, but that would be the ideal mix.
    Last edited by dan_pdx; 11-11-2021 at 03:43 PM.

Criteria are within about 90 minutes - 2 hours to Bellevue, good trail access (for hiking), road or mountain biking, 90 minutes or so to lift-served, and a town that has at least a brewery. (don't necessarily care about breweries per se, it's just a proxy for some level of community / services). All of those are negotiable to some point, but that would be the ideal mix.
    You could live out on the peninsula, and be 1.5-2hrs from all the skiing, same (or a quicker ferry ride) from your job situation, and old farmhouse vibes.

Thanks for the suggestions, I've looked at listings in Cle Elum, but not those other towns. We want a little more town than Cle Elum, but yeah, if there's something else you think is worth checking out, I'm all ears. Criteria are within about 90 minutes - 2 hours to Bellevue, good trail access (for hiking), road or mountain biking, 90 minutes or so to lift-served, and a town that has at least a brewery. (don't necessarily care about breweries per se, it's just a proxy for some level of community / services). All of those are negotiable to some point, but that would be the ideal mix.
    Little farther north, but Snohomish: old downtown, old houses, more than one brewery, decent mountain access (more east than west) compared to most of the metro

Yeah, Snohomish could work. Small downtown though. Same could be said for Mt Vernon (except longer drive to skiing that isn't human powered). Ditto for Anna Cortez / La Conner. E'burg is cool, but like a quarter the size of B'ham. And you'd have to drive over the pass in the winter.

The reason Bellingham is expensive is because it (just barely) ticks way more boxes for a ton of people.

You could live out on the peninsula, and be 1.5-2hrs from all the skiing, same (or a quicker ferry ride) from your job situation, and old farmhouse vibes.
    This is probably a dumb question, but...which peninsula? I've kicked the tires on Bainbridge / Bremerton, and haven't conclusively ruled them out. Are those the areas you were talking about?

Quote Originally Posted by alpinevibes View Post
    Little farther north, but Snohomish: old downtown, old houses, more than one brewery, decent mountain access (more east than west) compared to most of the metro
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    Yeah, Snohomish could work. Small downtown though. Same could be said for Mt Vernon (except longer drive to skiing that isn't human powered). Ditto for Anna Cortez / La Conner. E'burg is cool, but like a quarter the size of B'ham. And you'd have to drive over the pass in the winter.

The reason Bellingham is expensive is because it (just barely) ticks way more boxes for a ton of people.
    Thanks! A few others have mentioned Snohomish to me, I'll check it out. Mt. Vernon is out - we drove through and got lunch there this summer and didn't get a good vibe from the downtown area. La Conner is too small / too touristy. Maybe Anacortes? I'll get Mrs. PDX to check out the houses there and see what she thinks.

It's about 90 minutes from my place to Meadows as long as you get out early and there's no wrecks or ice. The drive to Baker is less than that, no? Also, seems that Baker doesn't have the same problem with crowds that we have at Meadows. But what's #1-4 on your list?

We looked at a few towns east of Seattle: Union Hill, Carnation, Fall City, around that area. Both me and Mrs. PDX wanted a little more town than that: I'd like to be able to bike / walk to some services, and it's hard out there. I was pushing for North Bend, but Mrs. PDX found out it's rainier there than further west, and that was a dealbreaker. Sammamish and Issaquah is really not our style - we swoon over 100-year-old houses that need massive amounts of TLC, not that interested in living in a development. We looked at a couple of areas in Seattle and said "meh, it's like Portland, but more expensive with worse traffic."

Sounds like you would like Ellensburg. College town, brewery, old houses, town very bike friendly, less than an hour to Snoqualmie, sunny, excellent access to public land. They have a jazz festival and a rodeo. If you get bored with Snoqualmie it probably equal distance to White Pass or Mission.

If I wasn’t dug in in Wenatchee I could be happy there. I think waveshello lives there.

Sounds like you would like Ellensburg. College town, brewery, old houses, town very bike friendly, less than an hour to Snoqualmie, sunny, excellent access to public land. They have a jazz festival and a rodeo. If you get bored with Snoqualmie it probably equal distance to White Pass or Mission.

If I wasn’t dug in in Wenatchee I could be happy there. I think waveshello lives there.

Damn, I just looked at Ellensburg listings, I'm sold, but Mrs. PDX is not - think the town is a little on the smaller side than what she had in mind. We'll see.

Damn, I just looked at Ellensburg listings, I'm sold, but Mrs. PDX is not - think the town is a little on the smaller side than what she had in mind. We'll see.
    Go visit. It’s a pretty nice small city.

They have a jazz festival and a rodeo.
    At the same time?

Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    At the same time?
    I think the jazz festival is first but not that far apart.

Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    At the same time?
    Ha! Seriously, that sounds amazing. Roping by day, ragtime by night