Page 376 of 1076 FirstFirst ... 371 372 373 374 375 376 377 378 379 380 381 ... LastLast
Results 9,376 to 9,400 of 26889
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    No, Ice, even you're not getting it. I am always irritated when some Patagucci clad and craft beer swilling upper middle class white person tells me that my problem is just that I have the wrong attitude and made bad decisions in my life. If I just fix that, I could be just like them. It's really offensive, and, when the revolution comes, I'm coming for them first.
    except the piece that you're not getting is this: while there are many "Patagucci clad and craft beer swilling upper middle class white persons" living in mountain towns and looking down their noses at you, not realizing the leg up they had, not all mountain people are that. It IS possible to create a decent life, with home ownership, in mountain towns WITHOUT being helped by mommy or daddy. It's harder to do than it is in a big city where well-paying jobs are more plentiful, but it's far from impossible. And yet you view it as impossible, and so sneer and drip venom at anyone on this board who lives in those towns. It makes you look stupid, because while I don't personally know Fred, Shredgnar, or Foggy, and don't know their life stories, I do know people who didn't come from money and weren't helped by parents but still made a good life for themselves in the mountains. Yet you act like those people cannot possibly exist.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    So what you're saying is that Benny just needs a little scratch behind the ears, and maybe a belly rub and a treat?
    I think he needs a leg to hump.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    I understand you find it offensive... but is it untrue?
    It's not. You can make those choices and sacrifices and make it work. Or at least some people can.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by concretejungle View Post
    Not Bozeman. That’s for fucking sure. Hope the rich, generic white folks keep coming so I can cash in and gtfo.
    Pssssssssht. Bozeman is laughably sleepy.

That said it’s way better here than the Front Range. That place is fucked.
    This may be why I have the above perspective.

We need a corollary to Carlin's axiom about driving (everyone driving faster than you is a maniac, everyone driving slower is an idiot): everyone richer than you is an entitled dickhead, everyone poorer just needs to pull themselves up by their bootstraps.

That's going to buy, uh, what in Summit County?
    Fairplay is *just* over the hill, man... cheap land for MILES.

This thread is usually pretty solid. Now it's just the same tired city vs mountain town TGR argument that exists in 1500 other threads over the past 15 years of TGR. Move on.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    We need a corollary to Carlin's axiom about driving (everyone driving faster than you is a maniac, everyone driving slower is an idiot): everyone richer than you is an entitled dickhead, everyone poorer just needs to pull themselves up by their bootstraps.
    I got out of the stonk market *precisely* to invest in bootstraps. Man... those bootstrap investments are gonna be a GOLD mine in not-too-long a time.

Back on track...Boise is still booming. Don't care what Redfin or anything else is saying. The Air B&Bs are in full swing in my neighborhood and it's definitely out of staters hanging around looking at property. I've talked with a few of them. Still getting letters from realtors to sell.

New progressive mayor is trying to shift ADU laws for bigger and more to increase rentals capacity. Apartments going on a lot of empty dirt all over. Builders are slammed. Remodelers are generally six months out on anything major. My mother is trying to get a 20x20' drive way re-poured and she's looking at a 2-3 month wait.

Just spoke with a coworker who writes homeowners insurance in Bozeman. She is slammed talking to New Yorkers and Seattleites all day.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    These will not be resort towns like Jackson or Aspen, but rather places like SLC or Reno (where I am). The CT dwellers react with disdain, usually with a crack about meth/ trailer parks/ LDS/ etc, and refuse to look seriously at any realistic options.
    Or, in Benny's case, the complaint that they're "brown." Boise (maybe not for long), Idaho Falls, Grand Junction, Montrose, Cortez, almost the entirety of NE Oregon, there's a long list of places that aren't glitzy resort towns that have excellent recreation access, especially if you're willing to forgo having a destination ski resort nearby.

The last few pages actually make me feel bad for Bunny. Must be sad to have retired and be so full of regrets about how you lived your life that all you can do is threaten the people who lived the way you wished you would have.

Back on track, the real estate market in western MT is fucking bonkers right now, and even here--a long ways from any destination ski resorts--the out-of-staters are swooping in buying shit sight unseen and making it really fucking hard for locals without two professional incomes to get into the housing market.

when the revolution comes, I'm coming for them first.
    Ahhhhhhh, yes. The machinist's son who spends all day shitting on shop employees, construction workers, and minimum wage folks wants to be part of the revolution. I got news for you pal, people like you will be first on the spit. Class traitor.

Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    The last few pages actually make me feel bad for Bunny. Must be sad to have retired and be so full of regrets about how you lived your life that all you can do is threaten the people who lived the way you wished you would have.

Back on track, the real estate market in western MT is fucking bonkers right now, and even here--a long ways from any destination ski resorts--the out-of-staters are swooping in buying shit sight unseen and making it really fucking hard for locals without two professional incomes to get into the housing market.
    How's Libby and Dillion looking? The G-Funk (Great Falls) is weird and not sure it's for me.

Sent from my SM-G960U using TGR Forums mobile app
    `•.¸¸.•´><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•...¸><((((º>

"Having been Baptized by uller his frosty air now burns my soul with confirmation. I am once again pure." - frozenwater

"once i let go of my material desires many opportunities for playing with the planet emerge. emerge - to come into being through evolution. ok back to work - i gotta pack." - Slaag Master

"As for Flock of Seagulls, everytime that song comes up on my ipod, I turn it up- way up." - goldenboy

I sell now and sit till at least fall unless opportunity knocks. I could be wrong but 10% higher doesn't change my ethos. If the economy does return and long rates go higher or if it doesn't then 5 million homes come off forbearance. Where I'm looking the nice well located homes go in one day but not so perfect homes are normal market. I wanted to build but most of the places I'm looking it's too much. The only place that is easy and cheap to build where I looked is Tucson Az. but it's down my list.

Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    I sell now and sit till at least fall unless opportunity knocks. I could be wrong but 10% higher doesn't change my ethos. If the economy does return and long rates go higher or if it doesn't then 5 million homes come off forbearance. Where I'm looking the nice well located homes go in one day but not so perfect homes are normal market. I wanted to build but most of the places I'm looking it's too much. The only place that is easy and cheap to build where I looked is Tucson Az. but it's down my list.
    Do the math - couldn't you just rent the rest of your life? In places like Tuscany, the Canadian Rockies, and maybe the French Alps?

Home ownership sucks, IME. YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Do the math - couldn't you just rent the rest of your life? In places like Tuscany, the Canadian Rockies, and maybe the French Alps?

Home ownership sucks, IME. YMMV.
    Yes, but I am a homebody and want something I can tweak. Another alternative is a small house in a base location that I don't care if it sits empty. I have never really liked extended travel because i don't want to get sick and this was way before Covid.

I'm so happy you're happy, Fred. But, really, stop bullshitting.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/b...s-in-ski-towns

"Real estate has been on the upswing in ski towns, especially for second homeowners who are using these properties as an investment via short-term rentals. Short-term rentals such as VRBO and Airbnb have contributed to the increase in property values and the shortage of homes available for first-time homebuyers or long-term renters. The rise in property values has drastically increased the gap between the standard ski town wage and the cost of living, forcing many individuals to live in their cars or leave town. Ski towns thrive on tourism, and individuals who work in the tourism industry must be able to survive on minimum wage plus tips, which is becoming increasingly more difficult when housing prices continue to rise in ski towns across the United States. The mixture of seasonal jobs, the housing crisis, and low paying wages can put a lot of financial strain on most individuals living in ski towns. It is difficult to make a liveable wage in ski towns and even harder to find a long-term affordable rental or be able to save for a down payment on a modest townhome.

As the rich as get richer, the poor get poorer in ski towns because of the housing crisis and low wage jobs. This trend is not only seen in Mammoth Lakes but is seen in ski towns (and touristy small towns) across the U.S.

To make a living in these ski towns, many individuals resort to working two to three jobs and living with multiple roommates. These financial burdens can create feelings of stress and depression, which can also potentially add to the increase in suicide rates. "

and...

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/a...alarming-rate/

and...

https://www.outsideonline.com/233556...-towns-durango

and...

https://www.adventure-journal.com/20...ki-town-dream/
    It all comes down to the same old same old. Supply and demand. And there are plenty of boomers with means that are plunking down big bucks and not thinking twice about it.

Sure, there are the non-salaried types that struggle in mtn or beach towns to make ends meet. That isn't going to change. Probably only get worse.

Life moves pretty fast...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsYBtfQ3QDo
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Fuck ,the last few pages when bonkers. You guys should be happy Benny is here to get you all fired up and post.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

No kidding. I get slammed at the "office" and come to check things out and the RE Thread has blown up.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    Fuck ,the last few pages when bonkers. You guys should be happy Benny is here to get you all fired up and post.
    I gotta stop falling for his shit on slow mornings.

Quote Originally Posted by Pow4Brains View Post
    How's Libby and Dillion looking? The G-Funk (Great Falls) is weird and not sure it's for me.
    Certainly a lot more recreational activities out the door in both Libby and Dillon compared to Great Falls but man, there is not going on in those towns in terms of food/drink and other indoor entertainment. Also, if your politics is anywhere center or left-of-center you might have a hard time. Hard to think of two more different towns that are both in the mountains in MT. Libby is practically rainforest and Dillon is more-or-less high desert.

if your politics is anywhere center or left-of-center you might have a hard time.
    If churches outnumber food and drink options, it is probably best to move along to the next place on the list.

Quote Originally Posted by SKIP IN7RO View Post
    If churches outnumber food and drink options, it is probably best to move along to the next place on the list.
    That is a solid take that should be on the "Shit you need to Know" list for all the youngens out there.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Libby is practically rainforest
    I did not know this. Interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by SKIP IN7RO View Post
    I have a feeling a lot more atheists and non-religious types are going to be moving into church 'hoods near you...