Page 595 of 1084 FirstFirst ... 590 591 592 593 594 595 596 597 598 599 600 ... LastLast
Results 14,851 to 14,875 of 27076
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    would it ^^ provide more affordable housing if you think about the value as opposed to just the cost ?

so the person serving your beer/ bagging your groceries/ swinging the chairs
    will have a place to live ?
    In my day that was accomplished with ROOMMATES

Quote Originally Posted by Garbowski View Post
    Minneapolis did this in 2019- all zones allow multifamily. Not sure if it had any effect. https://www.redfin.com/city/10943/MN...housing-market
    it went to effect Jan 2020. Last year was weird, might see results in a couple years. In the metro area sfh were gangbusters.

Quote Originally Posted by kathleenturneroverdrive View Post
    Can someone explain to me like I'm 5 how changing permitting/zoning/adding more multi-family units state-wide in CA would both be easier to accomplish and more impactful to low-income, first-time buyers than just giving them up to $12k/year?
    Simply giving people money is a futile attempt to treat the symptom. The whole zoning/permitting issue is an attempt to treat the root problem.
    The former perhaps being akin to giving a patient pills to manage pain for a broken bone but never actually setting the bone or anything. And those pills only end up causing a chemical dependency, resulting in ever-increasing doses or chasing relief with other bad methods until an inevitable overdose. Thus killing the patient in the end.
    The latter is attempting to actually cure the root of problem. Ya know, actually setting the bone and putting it in a cast, and letting it heal over time. Not going to be instant relief like the pills, but only one thing's going to work in the very end.

That's how I see the issue. Want to give people $12K/year for housing? Well guess what the OBVIOUS result of that is going to be? Costs "magically" increase by exactly $12K/year, if not more. Just like when the Feds step in to pay Universities to assist with tuition costs. "Oh, you're going to pay us another $10K/year for each student? Huh. Ya, don't say?" [tuition costs go up $10K/year right away]. That's just how this stuff works.

Yep, what Austin said. Subsidies don't solve the underlying problem, at best they help a portion of the people that can't currently get housed while screwing those who don't get a subsidy. Unfucking permitting / zoning is probably not easier than making it rain $$$ from the sky, but it might be cheaper and it's the only way to address the actual problem.

Quote Originally Posted by sirbumpsalot View Post
    so the housing shortage is fake news ?

the new lane way neighbor across the street appears to be a 50 yr old with a nice car and a real job
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Lol. Yea that’s the problem, kids today just need to put 8 people in a 2 bedroom apartment then rent, when adjusted for inflation, will cost what it did in your day. #okboomer

I know this is a joke, but there used to be really cheap housing available is most cities where you would have LOTS of roommates. Basically flop houses. Or places where you could rent a room, but had shared bathrooms and kitchens for a whole floor. Basically the type of place a down on their luck or young person just trying to get their foot in would live. Awesome place to live: no, but better then setting up a tent in the park.

But now we have square footage minimums and occupancy maximums as well as laws about how many unrelated people can live in a single residence.

#notaboomer, and even back in my day that was the goal. I lived in this one house for a while (and my band rehearsed in the drummer's room) where we had close to a dozen people. The joke was always, "if we could just get one more guy, the rent will be free!"

You guys do know that families of 3 and 4 are struggling to find affordable housing (rent or own) in many locations, right?

Quote Originally Posted by old_newguy View Post
    You guys do know that families of 3 and 4 are struggling to find affordable housing (rent or own) in many locations, right?
    You would have to have your head in the sand or be so rich that you are out of touch with reality to not know this.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Perhaps it's time to rethink child labor laws? Small hands are better suited at unjamming industrial machinery!
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

^ A modest proposal.

Quote Originally Posted by RoooR View Post
    I know this is a joke, but there used to be really cheap housing available is most cities where you would have LOTS of roommates. Basically flop houses. Or places where you could rent a room, but had shared bathrooms and kitchens for a whole floor. Basically the type of place a down on their luck or young person just trying to get their foot in would live. Awesome place to live: no, but better then setting up a tent in the park.

But now we have square footage minimums and occupancy maximums as well as laws about how many unrelated people can live in a single residence.
    yes. And then they zoned them out of existence so sirbullshitsalot could have nice suburban housing.

the unrelated people part was also to curb prostitution.

Minneapolis before downtown revitalization (actual thing in the 60s) and freeways and slum clearance(1950s) had flophouses, a majority of the residents were elderly single bachelors iirc, which wouldn’t surprise me nationwide to be true. Women didn’t earn enough and were spinster caretakers often.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    so the housing shortage is fake news ?

the new lane way neighbor across the street appears to be a 50 yr old with a nice car and a real job

NO...but it is a way to help the OP's question "so the person serving your beer/ bagging your groceries/ swinging the chairs will have a place to live?

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    Lol. Yea that’s the problem, kids today just need to put 8 people in a 2 bedroom apartment then rent, when adjusted for inflation, will cost what it did in your day. #okboomer
    I didn't say it was THE problem....its a solution to a problem of affordability for lower income people.

Quote Originally Posted by old_newguy View Post
    Let me introduce them to...kentucky!

In my day that was....
    OK, boomer.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Harry, quick question.

You are putting your place on the market. Are you going to sell it cheap to a future lifty or bartender or get as much as possible given the unbelievably hot market we have right now?
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    OK, boomer.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    Actually not a boomer...Gen-x....but I get the failed attempt at a joke. ha ha

Actually not a boomer...Gen-x....but I get the failed attempt at a joke. ha ha
    lazy dumbfuck who acts like the world owes him, it checks out.

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    lazy dumbfuck who acts like the world owes him, it checks out.
    Yes I agree....Harry does come off that way...

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post
    Harry, quick question.

You are putting your place on the market. Are you going to sell it cheap to a future lifty or bartender or get as much as possible given the unbelievably hot market we have right now?
    Is this a trick question
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post
    Harry, quick question.

It's the tragedy of the commons, right? Individually, everyone is going to act in their own self-interest. And it's a lot to ask of someone not to do that, when so much money is on the line. But collectively, all that self-interest -- coupled with all the other factors driving the housing market -- leads to bad results for the community.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Holy jeebus. Never met Harry irl.
    But he’s a chill dude giving maggots the shirt off his back.

And yet. You tards think he should sell his house for less than market to a “worthy” buyer?

Fuck. Off.
    . . .

Changing zoning in mountain towns will effect them for centuries.

Wouldn’t getting employers to pay more, be quicker and more effective?

We just need some monorails.