Page 263 of 1076 FirstFirst ... 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 ... LastLast
Results 6,551 to 6,575 of 26889
    Quote Originally Posted by Stu Gotz View Post
    This is very true. But folks are feeling the squeeze. We just purchased a home that had been on and off the market for 6 years for 2/3 of its original listing price.

The family we purchased it from had lots of kids. And they all went to private schools from k thru college. I can't imagine the nut for that.
    I'm just now being educated about the present market after meeting a woman who is lives on Lake Mahopac in a million dollar 32000 tax a year home. God, is it sweet. But, it's ridiculous there, and most of Westchester, and, one can argue, NY state. Shes listing it and has to move because of the taxes. Taxes are much better just across the border in Ct.. Why, I don't know, but I just read a piece over the weekend how hedgies are moving to Florida to establish permanent residence because of the non deductibility of all this crap in the new tax law. Which, of course, otherwise, they are overjoyed about. Just a matter of living in Florida for more than six months, while still being a Master of the Universe, which is harder than it sounds. Anyway, that's really disrupting the high end market in Fairfield.
    Last edited by Benny Profane; 06-18-2018 at 04:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    O, and to add, to have a $50k annual property tax bill in CA means you bought the home for 5+ million. If you can afford that, I don't think the tax write off really matters.
    NY state
    In laws house worth $350k
    Taxes $13k
    $50k in taxes, house worth $1.4 mil?

CT is not far behind.
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    NY state
    In laws house worth $350k
    Taxes $13k
    That sounds high even for NY. What area?

Quote Originally Posted by Mazderati View Post
    That sounds high even for NY. What area?
    Lawngg island
    Uggggh
    . . .

It's really not that high. It's bad in the NY burbs.

Seems like 13k annually on a 350k property value is high even for LI. Even one of the finger lakes burbs with what I understand are notoriously high taxes pays less.

The average annual property tax for Nassau homes was $11,232 with an average market value $587,532 and a tax rate of 1.91 percent.

Westchester and Rockland counties in New York; Essex, Bergen, Union and Morris counties in New Jersey; Marin County in California; and Fairfield County in Connecticut all also had average annual property taxes over $10,000.

Average property taxes for Suffolk homes came in less at $9,333 with an average market value of $469,877 and a tax rate of 1.99 percent.

https://patch.com/new-york/plainview...sau-vs-suffolk

I think a lot of these property taxes get whacked out by local voter approved bond issues. Looking at the below, it reflects CA property taxes at .79%, which may be the states portion, but then it goes up to 1.1% to 1.25% based on location due to voter approved taxes. With my property taxes so low because of Prop 13 it looks like a good retirement plan is to rent out the CA properties and move to a state with no state income tax and just rent a place. That said, where to live that is still by the water and close to skiing?

Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 382
Size:  114.7 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Pretty funny to see how many deeply red states are below CA on that list.

I think a lot of these property taxes get whacked out by local voter approved bond issues. Looking at the below, it reflects CA property taxes at .79%, which may be the states portion, but then it goes up to 1.1% to 1.25% based on location due to voter approved taxes. With my property taxes so low because of Prop 13 it looks like a good retirement plan is to rent out the CA properties and move to a state with no state income tax and just rent a place. That said, where to live that is still by the water and close to skiing?
    Move to WA. No state income tax...yet. Lot of folks from CA it seems are moving to OR and WA these days. But OR has state income tax, and depending on where you move, the property taxes and housing costs aren't ideal, but that's just like any state.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

In WA, a tax on income is against the state constitution so I don't see that changing any time soon. Gotta life when a state relies on sales tax and is the home of Amazon, the largest state sales tax avoider in the country.
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Quote Originally Posted by wooley12 View Post
    Played golf with a realtor who sells the Seattle area. He told me that most of his recent sales have been to buyers from China and India who pay cash, move no furniture in and keep the drapes closed. FWIW.
    Grow ops and money laundering.

Once PDX adds some non-stops to China the firehouse will spread further south.

There was a Chinese baby factory nearby but it closed. Money laundering is high on the list.
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Views: 382
Size:  114.7 KB
    Weird how that list only has 37 states

My Pops was just bitching on the Father's Day phone call about his NH taxes. About 7250 on a 280k valuation. This is in a high tax New Hampshire town.

He still loves New Hampshire, what I don't get is why he continues to live in the highest school taxed town in the state when my sisters and I moved out at least 5 years ago. But to each their own. Christ, move up to Harts Location or something, or just a few towns over and save like 3k a year. Probably get a better house out of the deal.
    Live Free or Die

Quote Originally Posted by mcsquared View Post
    Weird how that list only has 37 states
    Look for the states with the same amount taxed, they have the same number.

imagine how bad it would suck to pay the same monetary value in rent and not own an asset? home value appreciation is the worsttttt

fuckin old people

Quote Originally Posted by shroom View Post
    imagine how bad it would suck to pay the same monetary value in rent and not own an asset? home value appreciation is the worsttttt

fuckin old people
    You lost me on the " home value appreciation is the worsttttt, fuckin old people" rant. Most everything goes up in price over time. I am always surprised that my hipster tenants need to live in my rentals, as if they moved to a little less desirable part of town, they could buy their own place for the rent they give me each month. Kids are not always taught how to manage money is a problem too.
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.

You lost me on the " home value appreciation is the worsttttt, fuckin old people" rant. Most everything goes up in price over time. I am always surprised that my hipster tenants need to live in my rentals, as if they moved to a little less desirable part of town, they could buy their own place for the rent they give me each month. Kids are not always taught how to manage money is a problem too.
    The neighborhood probably matches their iPhone case and has lots of plugs for their model 3 on order. Either that or it's a ridable neighborhood, in which case fixie heaven.

Sent from my XT1650 using TGR Forums mobile app

i generalized pretty bad; i realize they’re super variable. just referencing the general bitchfest re prop tax raises that tend to lag RE inflation - more that it’s probably all relative.

https://www.federalreserve.gov/pubs/.../200848pap.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    Look for the states with the same amount taxed, they have the same number.
    Look again.

Where is New York? Pennsylvania?

Quote Originally Posted by mcsquared View Post
    Look again.

Where is New York? Pennsylvania?
Views: 599
Size:  48.2 KB

Views: 599
Size:  48.2 KB
    Hah! I wonder how many trumptarded Texans know their property tax rates are higher than New York.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Hah! I wonder how many trumptarded Texans know their property tax rates are higher than New York.
    To be fair. Texas doesn't have a state income tax.

Yep, you have to look at the total tax burden.

I’m so glad I escaped Illinois.