Page 597 of 1076 FirstFirst ... 592 593 594 595 596 597 598 599 600 601 602 ... LastLast
Results 14,901 to 14,925 of 26889
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevo View Post
    Wages certainly should go up for local employees, but when rooms are $1,500 per month it would take about $30 per hour to afford it

We recently hired a cleaning person at $45 per hour. Not a cleaning company, just a one person cleaning service.

Skilled labor is in serious short supply. I need a 220 line installed at my house and all electricians who work in the valley that I've been able to get ahold of are booked out until at least August. There is one guy who had a cancellation and can hopefully help next week.

I'm not sure where this ends, but it feels like the days of "just live in TV if you can't afford Jackson" are long gone.
    No doubt on the labor in short supply, the housing constraints have costs.

But as a guy who has done the books for a couple dozen Jackson businesses, every single last one can afford to pay the wages necessary. Every single one.
    Live Free or Die

We recently hired a cleaning person at $45 per hour. Not a cleaning company, just a one person cleaning service.
    Wow! I guess Socorro charging me $15 an hour is a bargain. 8 X $45 is pricey.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Remember that outrageous Dem proposal to raise the Min. Wage to $ 15.00?

Seems like that was just last year.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    No doubt on the labor in short supply, the housing constraints have costs.

But as a guy who has done the books for a couple dozen Jackson businesses, every single last one can afford to pay the wages necessary. Every single one.
    it’s not just Jackson, there’s a whole bunch of businesses nationwide that aren’t willing to deal with a labor market that won’t supply them dirt cheap quality (sober & on time) labor. Getting polyass, I’m sick of people saying XYZ job doesn’t deserve $ per hour. Nobody “deserves” shit. You pay them that because that’s what it takes.

AKA supply and demand (conveniently forgotten when it comes to labor)

Quote Originally Posted by Name Redacted View Post
    Yeah they went from first to worst faster than I’ve ever seen in the beer industry.
    quoting myself from the IPA thread
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    A few months after both locations were closed, I was standing in front of the beer cooler at Dark Haggen, and two guys walked up beside me - one local, and a friend/relative visiting from out of town. The out of towner reached for a six pack of Melvin, and the local blocked him and said, "we don't drink that here. I'll tell you why later".
    Last week I was at the gas station two blocks from the former location of Melvin North #1 (and kitty corner from the scene of the crime) and again, I'm standing at the beer cooler. Two guys come in, and one says, "they have Melvin. Love it!" I said you guys must not be from around here (blank stares from both)
    Last edited by Ted Striker; 06-11-2021 at 05:51 PM.

What's the story on Melvin?

I tried it once and didn't really like it, just bitter bitter bitter, but that's all I know.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

I still like their IPA - mostly because it's bitter, bitter, bitter.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post

I tried it once and didn't really like it, just bitter bitter bitter, but that's all I know.
    #metoo problems. The ladies are bitter about it. I don’t know the whole story, but apparently it was enough to really ruin their reputation and the way they handled it after was not effective.

Real Estate Crash thread

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post
    Harry, quick question.

You are putting your place on the market. Are you going to sell it cheap to a future lifty or bartender or get as much as possible given the unbelievably hot market we have right now?
    option 2

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    option 2

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    [glademaster] you deserve the guillotine! [/glademaster]
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Yeah, I used to like - but not love - their IPAs as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    In 2017 they expanded their operation to Bellingham, opening a main brewery + restaurant and taproom, and subsequently a satellite operation down in Fairhaven.

Their execution wasn't great for a number of reasons, and they had this - frankly lame - bro culture / toxic masculinity schtick (that would eventually be their undoing)

Less than six months in, a couple of Melvin guys walked up the street to Menace Brewing (low key, good vibe) with a six pack that was ostensibly a gift for the owners, but when they got there one of them started drinking it. When asked by the staff not to do that, the same individual started with inappropriate comments and ended with non-consensual sexual touching.

Without naming names, these were not low-level employees either.

It took a while for news to get out, but when it did, Melvin could not have handled it worse. For instance, their Facebook page said "Show us on the doll where Melvin Brewing touched you"

Their first swing at an apology wasn't anything of the sort, but instead a statement that they like women, they even hired some! They also tried to distance themselves from the culprit 'That guy? He's just a low level contractor' (nonsense).

Ultimately, it took four months for them to make a public acknowledgement, and they didn't let the guy go. Even then, the sentiment here was that it was driven by their lawyers, and behind closed doors there was no real contrition.

At that point it turned into a full-on 'get the fuck out of our town' boycott.

... and their owner was widely known before all that went down to be a complete doucheclown.

Quote Originally Posted by WMD View Post
    You guys do know this isn't inevitable, right? As in we could still prevent this. It isn't too late. Yet.
    Hope springs eternal
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Wages certainly should go up for local employees, but when rooms are $1,500 per month it would take about $30 per hour to afford it

Skilled labor is in serious short supply. I need a 220 line installed at my house and all electricians who work in the valley that I've been able to get ahold of are booked out until at least August. There is one guy who had a cancellation and can hopefully help next week.

I'm not sure where this ends, but it feels like the days of "just live in TV if you can't afford Jackson" are long gone.
    Do you see the irony?
    Sorry not sorry

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

A lot of kids should be going to trades instead of college. Less debt, good work, solid income…

Latest

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0098.JPG 
Views:	178 
Size:	190.4 KB 
ID:	376962

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    Open your damn eyes and realize Star Valley or Driggs are not backwaters anymore
    The Rooney's, as in the Pittsburgh Steelers Rooney's purchased Paul Allen's ranch on this side. We aint backwaters anymore for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by 54-46 View Post
    A lot of kids should be going to trades instead of college. Less debt, good work, solid income…
    Agreed and something society will need very soon. I see it being very hard to find good trade work in the near future.

Most kids are taught they're too good for that.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using TGR Forums mobile app

Most people want to get into careers that don't destroy their bodies by the time they're in their mid 40's. Can't say I blame them.

In the PNW I saw a surprisingly large number of white guys of all ages in the trades, here in Colorado, it's rare to see a white dude who's under the age of 50 on a job site, and when you do, odds are it's the PM. I've also seen more serious injuries on job sites in 7 months here than I saw in 3 years in Washington. I see shit every single day on job sites here that would have had those sites shut down and people losing their licenses in Washington.

Jobs in the trades paid a lot better in WWA than around here too, despite the cost of living being similar.

There are very few things worth dying or being maimed for, and a job sure as shit isn't one of them.
    Last edited by glademaster; 06-12-2021 at 07:41 AM.

BREAKING NEWSNEWS IN BRIEF

Thrilled BlackRock Announces Purchase Of 800,000th Dream Home

Yesterday 11:32AM

FRANKLIN, TN—Gushing that they never imagined they would find a dwelling that fit all their needs and desires, thrilled investment firm BlackRock reportedly announced Friday the purchase of its 800,000th dream home. “We’ve always wanted to own a 475,000th home with granite countertops and a big backyard, and we’re all just completely over the moon that we managed to find it,” said BlackRock CEO Larry Fink, adding that the company couldn’t believe its luck in managing to get 16 houses on a quiet, tree-lined street in one of Nashville’s choicest suburban subdivisions. “We were a little nervous because there were six families submitting bids for the home as well, but fortunately we’d stashed away a few trillion dollars that we could fall back on to win the bidding war. Of course, there’s always that voice in the back of your head saying ‘Was this the right decision? Should we have tried to accelerate the economic conditions that forced the family who lived there to lose their home earlier, when the market would have been even more favorable?’ But you can’t think like that, you’ll drive yourself crazy. Ultimately we’re so happy to find our 800,000th dream home, and we hope it stays in the company for generations. Plus, it’s in a great school district.” BlackRock also said that their dream house represented a great long-term investment strategy even if they decided not to move in right away, as research shows that owning a home and renting it out is one of the top ways a company can accumulate other people’s wealth.

So, this is the path that you chose, and advise your children to take?

Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    Latest

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0098.JPG 
Views:	178 
Size:	190.4 KB 
ID:	376962
    That is sad.
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    That is sad.

I take it you mean the lack of context is sad, right?

Real Estate Crash thread

We’ve put in an offer on a house. It feels like it’s a pretty strong offer, but I guess we’ll see. I’ve about rationalized myself to the conclusion that even if this is a bubble, it’s very likely it isn’t mitigating for a couple years which doesn’t work for me, and chances are excellent that prices just plateau rather than actually decline.

I dunno. Fingers crossed, though.
    focus.