Page 775 of 1084 FirstFirst ... 770 771 772 773 774 775 776 777 778 779 780 ... LastLast
Results 19,351 to 19,375 of 27076
    800k for an 80s style split level. Fuck. Me. Running.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
    If I'd venture a guess... I'd say they're looking in some of the older 'hoods on the flanks of Green Mountain.

Name:  GreenMountain-houses1.jpg
Views: 558
Size:  100.5 KB

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Why are they looking at such a large house? Presumably it's just the two of them?
    I guess they are hoping to have visitors. I mean there are a bunch of us, plus grandkids getting bigger, but no need IMO to go that big. I guess it checked off all the boxes though, so they pulled the trigger.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Quote Originally Posted by Toadman View Post
    I guess they are hoping to have visitors. I mean there are a bunch of us, plus grandkids getting bigger, but no need IMO to go that big. I guess it checked off all the boxes though, so they pulled the trigger.
    My wife and I are scheming for the 1K sq foot pad when we finally get rid of the last kid.

I always used to think that people downsized once the kids moved out...

If I'd venture a guess... I'd say they're looking in some of the older 'hoods on the flanks of Green Mountain.

Name:  GreenMountain-houses1.jpg
Views: 558
Size:  100.5 KB
    No idea where that is? Not familiar with the town. They are North of some park called West Gate or Bear Creek or something like that. Apparently their RE agent indicated there was a bid $25k higher than theirs but the 84 YO widower wanted my parents to have the house. Plus their offer was the highest cash offer. So cash truly is king. Turns out there was closer to 60 offers on the house. I mean I have seen some pictures of the house and I have no idea how nice the neighborhood is but it's a crazy market apparently in that zip code. At least now I will have a base of operations for hitting the CO ski scene next season.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

My wife and I are scheming for the 1K sq foot pad when we finally get rid of the last kid.

You would think that. But we have run into several grandparents, and they have all gone big with the retirement homes. At least here in Bend. My in-laws did about the same thing, went from a big house to a big house, just so they had lots of room for the kids and grandkids to visit.

West Gate or Bear Creek or something like that.
    Yep - that sounds like something in the Green Mountain area...

You would think that. But we have run into several grandparents, and they have all gone big with the retirement homes. At least here in Bend. My in-laws did about the same thing, went from a big house to a big house, just so they had lots of room for the kids and grandkids to visit.
    They want the holiday business.

It's the final flameout of the Boomers. An even bigger house in retirement, because, well, they can, mainly because they've increased their net worth so much with the primary home.
    Visited a college friend in the Eastern Shore in Maryland. Big development with minimum 3000 SQ feet homes in former farmland maybe ten to twenty feet above sea level. I bit my tongue when the wife talked about climate change and this and that, sitting in this house that is a part of the destruction of that unique ecosystem.

Our home is a spacious 1,550 sq ft which in this town is a cracker box but perfect for the 2 of us. I really would not want to go smaller and if you want company down the road at least 2,000 sq ft would be better in my opinion but YRMV.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    Our home is a spacious 1,550 sq ft which in this town is a cracker box but perfect for the 2 of us. I really would not want to go smaller and if you want company down the road at least 2,000 sq ft would be better in my opinion but YRMV.
    We've currently got 2K. It's comically large, IMO. Maybe that's the cathedral ceilings, though?

We have 1000 sqft upstairs finished, and 1000 in the basement 2/3rds unfinished. Almost half of the basement is dedicated for gear space and workroom, and freezer/food storage. For the three of us we could easily manage with 1500 sqft of well designed interior space.

Most of the homes we see in our price range here have too much wasted interior space. It's the outside space I miss. Not enough room for the trailer, watercraft and sled(s), not to mention the garden. And I wistfully remember the time I used to be able to take a piss off the porch and not worry about offending the neighbours cause they were acres away. I'll get that back one day, one way or another.

You Can Still Own a Caravaggio, but It Comes With a House (and a Hefty Price) https://nyti.ms/33Mwvw2

ROME — It was heralded as the real estate deal of the century.

Up for sale was a 16th-century, 30,000-square-foot villa in downtown Rome complete with a landscaped garden and a masterpiece painted on its ceiling — by Caravaggio.

But when the Villa Aurora went up for auction on Tuesday, the hefty price tag — 471 million euros, or $533 million — kept prospective buyers away. There were no offers at the minimum bidding price, according to the notary overseeing the sale.

Aside from Caravaggio’s fresco — “Jupiter, Neptune and Pluto,” which he painted for the villa’s first owner, Cardinal Francesco Maria Del Monte, in 1597 — the villa has ceiling frescoes by other Baroque masters, including Giovanni Francesco Barbieri, better known as Guercino. His fresco in the main hall of the Roman goddess of dawn, “Aurora,” gave the villa its name.

The villa has been the property of the Boncompagni Ludovisi family for 400 years. But an inheritance dispute between the widow of Prince Nicolò Boncompagni Ludovisi, who died in 2018 at age 77, and his three sons from his first marriage prompted a judicial order to sell it.

Any buyers would need very deep pockets because the villa requires at least €10 million for restoration work, said Alessandro Zuccari, a professor at the University of Rome who was tasked by the Rome court overseeing the inheritance dispute to establish the villa’s monetary value. “I told the magistrate it was priceless, from a cultural point of view; she told me I had to come up with a number,” he said.

Most of the villa’s value rests in the Caravaggio fresco — valued at €310 million. Professor Zuccari said the overall price was justified because of the villa’s “immense cultural value.”

“What building in the world has a wall painting by Caravaggio near a wall painting by Guercino?” he asked. The villa also includes works by other well-known 17th-century artists and antique Roman statuary.

My dads house is about 2k ft, 3 bd, 3 ba Colonial built in 1970. He's South Shore of LI and the house was redone after a fire in 1988. It could easily sell for 800 now. He paid $40k...

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    My dads house is about 2k ft, 3 bd, 3 ba Colonial built in 1970. He's South Shore of LI and the house was redone after a fire in 1988. It could easily sell for 800 now. He paid $40k...
    My beef is with split levels.

800 k for a split level ranch in lakewood
    yeah lakewood is in the mountains right? all of colorado is in the mountains right?
    never imagined people would be so desperate to pay that much to live in suburban sprawl I guess you pay extra to be next to green mountain or bear creek cause that is like living in the mountains

Interest rates going to jump up shortly?
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

They already have by .250 to .500% depending on credit.

Up .50% since December 3rd. Under 4% should not hurt the purchase business to much IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

My beef is with split levels.

Haha! Me too! I think the problem is, that I grew up in one. So, I think for whatever reason my dad likes that style house. Plus they said they couldn't find any ranch style single levels. At least what I heard was that in Lakewood, there are ranch style homes but they apparently are not in the best part of town.

Quote Originally Posted by fastfred View Post
    800 k for a split level ranch in lakewood
    yeah lakewood is in the mountains right? all of colorado is in the mountains right?
    never imagined people would be so desperate to pay that much to live in suburban sprawl I guess you pay extra to be next to green mountain or bear creek cause that is like living in the mountains
    Sometimes it's about being closer to family.

Haha! Me too! I think the problem is, that I grew up in one. So, I think for whatever reason my dad likes that style house. Plus they said they couldn't find any ranch style single levels. At least what I heard was that in Lakewood, there are ranch style homes but they apparently are not in the best part of town.
    Tri levels are alright. Quad levels can fuck off. Split foyers should all be torn down.

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    Up .50% since December 3rd. Under 4% should not hurt the purchase business to much IMO.
    You know the Fed is struggling with the possibility of killing the housing market with a series of interest rate hikes.

You know the Fed is struggling with the possibility of killing the housing market with a series of interest rate hikes.
    duh
    and wall street is so great right now too once these companies loaded with debt have to actually start paying interest on the debt it aint' going to look good

make sure we keep everything happy and inflated so the boommers twilight years are perfect so they don't have to suffer with a debt laden govt and shitty health care

Lakehood

It's alright the further west you are, but the niceties drop quickly the further east and south of Alameda you go. Easy commute to Denver proper, easy to hop on I-70 for mountain jaunts, tons of golfing nearby, and everything you need in that area is within a few minutes away, stores, post office, shopping, etc. It's not bad. Could be worse. Still gotta lock your car doors and I highly suggest camera security system. Lots of auto thefts and break-ins near green mountain and specifically at the trailhead parking lots.

Do they have pets? Cats always go missing. Lots of coyotes up on the Green and they visit the nicer hoods for fresh meat often. Hopefully they don't have outdoor cats. Also, the dog park there off W. Alameda was nice when I visited often bitd, but I've read of lots of dogs getting sick from visiting there past few years.