Page 960 of 1076 FirstFirst ... 955 956 957 958 959 960 961 962 963 964 965 ... LastLast
Results 23,976 to 24,000 of 26885
    Quote Originally Posted by J. Barron DeJong View Post
    My guess is that they don’t mean car dependence for the people living there, but car dependence for the people that could move into the new units.

Allowing more dense building reduces the need for cars in the city, taken as a whole.
    removing the garage doesn’t change (from YIMBY!)
    The area is admittedly inhospitable for cyclists and pedestrians, though not impossible.
    which to me translates to “car dependent, but you don’t have a car”

it’s only 8 units of infill
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    removing the garage doesn’t change (from YIMBY!)

which to me translates to “car dependent, but you don’t have a car”

it’s only 8 units of infill
    Every proposed increase in building is ‘only’ something, so each individual rejection doesn’t have much cost, but it all ads up.

That area might not be good for walking/cycling now, but maybe it could if density was allowed to increase throughout the area? But each rejection eliminates that future possibility.

That area might not be good for walking/cycling now, but maybe it could if density was allowed to increase throughout the area?
    This thought process is the basis for nearly all development code in play today.

Every proposed increase in building is ‘only’ something, so each individual rejection doesn’t have much cost, but it all ads up.

That area might not be good for walking/cycling now, but maybe it could if density was allowed to increase throughout the area? But each rejection eliminates that future possibility.
    Yeah, they're going from 21 to 29 units - a 40% increase. If all our multifamily housing increased capacity by 40%, it would solve the housing shortage.

Quote Originally Posted by summit View Post
    There are upsides and downsides to having the ability to fix rates for 15/30 years.

Countries where you can only get ARMs probably aren't experiencing the same issue, but they, I suspect, will end up with a rash of forced moveouts and financial hardships looking like US 2009 when people see they monthly payments nearly double.

So, maybe avoid having a decade of near zero rates... but it's done. What now will solve a high-price low-inventory environment where current owners don't have enough profit motive to sell because they gotta live somewhere once they sell their 3% 30yr financed place?
    Is the solution time... wait 15 years while the boomers die and their property sells? No no too long...
    Could the solution be to ban mass commercial purchasing of SFHs? No Blackrock needs to make a profit!
    Apparently the solution is to build ADUs in people's backyards and tear down SFHs to build 6 plexes? Yes. That is it. DO IT
    Appraisal theory indicates that in times when the market can't provide viable/competitive financing, sellers will (I say may) do so. That is, a seller may offer a more attractive rate than the bank, but that comes with a higher price tag. Similarly, if anyone that has a 2.75% mortgage from 18-24 months ago that is assignable/transferrable (unlikely), that has value to a prospective buyer and the seller should account for that.

Listed my place on Friday at noon. Had a showing within hours, and an offer the next morning, full price, no inspection. Six more viewings Saturday, one more cash offer incoming, maybe more. Unreal.

Are these offers from actual families that need a home? Or from investors?

Offer is from a family who want this neighborhood for the school, cash offer are penciling out a remodel and want to live here. Crazy.

That is crazy. Are you in the Bend area? A buddy of mine who'd lived in Bend for 15 years just moved to Hood River, said that Bend was getting too crowded for him (his exact words were "Reno North"). Nice if you're selling a house though.

I'm sure the locals from Hood River are looking forward to being a refugee sanctuary.
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Well, I'm not allowed to delete this post, but, I can say, go fuck yourselves, everybody!

Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    I'm sure the locals from Hood River are looking forward to being a refugee sanctuary.
    No kidding. I see that lots in Mosier are going for $350k now, it's bonkers. I looked at buying this house with my sister in 2016, I wish we had: https://www.redfin.com/OR/Hood-River...home/105537021

Quote Originally Posted by Flyoverland Captive View Post
    Listed my place on Friday at noon. Had a showing within hours, and an offer the next morning, full price, no inspection. Six more viewings Saturday, one more cash offer incoming, maybe more. Unreal.
    Yep. Sold my place in Feb. Listed on a Friday, 12 showings over the weekend, 9 offers by Wednesday, several were cash. Closed 40k over asking. All offers were from families or individuals who wanna live here.

Problem is now I have to buy a place.

Quote Originally Posted by dan_pdx View Post
    That is crazy. Are you in the Bend area? A buddy of mine who'd lived in Bend for 15 years just moved to Hood River, said that Bend was getting too crowded for him (his exact words were "Reno North"). Nice if you're selling a house though.
    I met an auz / canadian couple that just sold out of Bend and moved Narth, it sounded like they did so good ( tripled ?) on the RE they they didn't seem too concerned about buying into the local RE market said they might have even paid a bit high but whatever

he asked me last summer if E-bikes were OK up here ... ya man
    Last edited by XXX-er; 04-11-2023 at 11:59 AM.
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Seems like the west coast market had a downturn March to December 2022, but has since started to very quickly move higher again. Anyone purchasing with a mortgage at todays prices and rates is getting bent over compared to people who bought anytime before 2022. If I were to purchase the house I bought in 2020 today, my mortgage payment would be almost 3x.

Shit is fucked.

Yes, everyone deserves to pay 1/3 the current going rate to move to a resort town and live out their western dreams of WFH while skiing the pow. Just be happy you're smarter or at least quicker than the average bear.
    Well, I'm not allowed to delete this post, but, I can say, go fuck yourselves, everybody!

This is reminding me to get pre-approved as I think this is the year we buy a new england mountain outpost as we now have year round justification and the drive sucks.

Boom. Craft beer glasses full of tears. For better or worse. Plenty of those with their feet in the door and some cheddar are Mountains Please as fast as then can. If WFH sticks and the cities continue to be a dumpster fire, it ain't gonna change.

Sent from my Turbo 850 Flatbrimed Highhorse

^ exact.

My dad had the opposite experience selling his twin home in Maricopa, AZ. Market is dead there. Maybe the variable mortgage rate situation in Canada has stifled the snowbird market in AZ, at least in Maricopa, which is a weird place between Phoenix and Tucson. Anyway he started at 350k on the rec of his realtor, reduced it to 325, then 300. Very little interest. Finally got an offer of 225, his realtor was embarrassed to even tell him but he said sell the friggin place. He paid 175 five or six years ago.

Maybe people are realizing that trucking in water is going to be expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    Maybe people are realizing that trucking in water is going to be expensive.
    Bingo.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

House across from me sold in 3 days. Listed at $835k, sold for $1mil even. It's a not very nice 2000sf 3bd/2ba

apt complexes and buildings are down 20% from their covid highs
    whens the single family market going to catch up

Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post
    House across from me sold in 3 days. Listed at $835k, sold for $1mil even. It's a not very nice 2000sf 3bd/2ba
    What part of CA are you in?

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    Boom. Craft beer glasses full of tears. For better or worse. Plenty of those with their feet in the door and some cheddar are Mountains Please as fast as then can. If WFH sticks and the cities continue to be a dumpster fire, it ain't gonna change.

Sent from my Turbo 850 Flatbrimed Highhorse
    I can tell you now that there are a plethora of companies across the US now who said “fuck it” and threw their doors open to WFH. Hell, our company already had one foot in the door pre-pandemic, so it was an easy jump for us and we’ve not looked back since (at least for the good-paying positions that generate value for the company.

For a lot of us, this is becoming a permanent change. Many others who fall short will still try and make remote work/ mountain town living work for them.

The paradigm has shifted.