Page 896 of 924 FirstFirst ... 891 892 893 894 895 896 897 898 899 900 901 ... LastLast
Results 22,376 to 22,400 of 23087
  1. #22376
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    6,910
    Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    Well that's interesting. I figured everywhere would still be a total shitshow. Anyone else seeing something similar to Kevo?
    Nope. Still coming to Bend like it was 2019. And then some.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

  2. #22377
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Donner Lake
    Posts
    416
    I have seen much busier 4th of Julys around here. Not dead, but not crazy either.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    4 Time Balboa Open Champion

  3. #22378
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    25,332
    Quote Originally Posted by Toadman View Post
    Nope. Still coming to Bend like it was 2019. And then some.
    That doesn't surprise me. I was thinking about coming down for an open water swimming event at the end of the month and hotels are all at least $250/night.

  4. #22379
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    11,456
    Quote Originally Posted by Truckee Joe View Post
    I have seen much busier 4th of Julys around here. Not dead, but not crazy either.
    Same here in CO. People blamed the fireworks ban and lack of town fireworks. But I think that's bullshit. Gas prices, the weather, and the STR restrictions in every town up here have cause rates for STRs and hotel room to go through the roof.

  5. #22380
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    your vacation
    Posts
    3,871
    the breckenridge co real estate state of estate

    touron numbers are down bookings are down
    breckenridge is still a 1st class zoo don't get me wrong wall to wall pasty white fat people
    the numbers are back to "normal" after 2020 & 2021 chaos, for most people normal is good, for the money grubbing locals normal is not good
    numbers are down because the "in crowd" is now back traveling to pachui pichu italia and other fab international spots
    gas prices the news cycle and inflation have more people staying home hiding under their blankets
    over all the scene is good winter bookings are being made

    number of houses on the market has skyrocketed prices are still stupid 2 million will get you not too much around here
    alot of casual buyers are now priced out cost of entry to the kingdom is way too high
    realtors are up in arms and blaming the gov't for short term rental bans and restrictions
    these restrictions are supposidly cutting into their sales, guess their run up in prices had nothing to do with it
    people are still buying 1.5 million dollar dumps and calling me to "fix it up" they want a pimp pad and I say it'll start at $150 sq ft and they freak even though they bought a shit hole for $900 sq ft
    typical bullshit neighbors pimp unit sold for $800 sq ft
    so they guy with the "I haven't done anything to my unit, it's all 1992 inside" thinks they can get $800 sq ft also


    I'm looking at shitty far away small towns
    prices there are still stupid
    500k for a shit house in a small town with no jobs no tourism well not much of anything actually
    the houses are sitting and I'm like everyone else waiting for them to come back down to reality 230k like they were three years ago


    gonna be interesting to see what shakes out

  6. #22381
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    your vacation
    Posts
    3,871
    Quote Originally Posted by Name Redacted View Post
    Same here in CO. People blamed the fireworks ban and lack of town fireworks. But I think that's bullshit. Gas prices, the weather, and the STR restrictions in every town up here have cause rates for STRs and hotel room to go through the roof.
    fyi
    in the 1990s many many developers came to summit county proposing hotel developments
    not condos but hotels
    the county and city of breck ran them out of town and made it so difficult to build hotels and large developments of that sort that the developers gave up

    so here we are today with short terms filling that void

    unless you are breckenridge grand vacations who got a pass in the early 2000's
    which is run by the biggest scum bag ex local now cherry creek resident who has been given everything he needs to build giant time share hotel condos while providing little to no employee or deed restricted housing like any other developer has too

  7. #22382
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    15,963
    Quote Originally Posted by fastfred View Post
    I'm looking at shitty far away small towns
    prices there are still stupid
    500k for a shit house in a small town with no jobs no tourism well not much of anything actually
    the houses are sitting and I'm like everyone else waiting for them to come back down to reality 230k like they were three years ago
    In the meantime...
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

  8. #22383
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Aspen
    Posts
    9,034
    Quote Originally Posted by alpinevibes View Post
    No, itís down over the edge of the groomer, shielded by some trees and itís near bottom of the mountain. The somewhat unique quality to Aspen Mountain is that there are only ~10 houses that actually have ski in/out access touching the resort and maybe 75-100 condos units.

    Absolutely stupid price, but itís a special house in a way.
    I can't say I've ever noticed that house. Very tucked away.

  9. #22384
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Aspen
    Posts
    2,288
    Quote Originally Posted by fastfred View Post

    45 million is fair price
    but ski in and ski out walk to downtown private large lot that shit doesn't grown on trees like suburbs do
    if aspen ever decides to let single family homes be built again (I thought breck was fucking up on their green building we care about the environment and the local worker shit and short term rental issues) but aspen is on a whole nother level of fucking stupidity I digress but you'd be able to squeeze one more house in on that acre of land or buldoze the dam thing and build a condo tower

    the gorsuch family takes the winning for that right now

    since aspen won't let people build homes anymore they just added a 40% surcharge to real estate prices gov't planning at it's best and since most of the town council in living in subsized gov't housing they don't really understand how the real world works
    I don't fully agree with the direction the council is taking on residential construction, but I agree that something has to be done to slow the roll. It's just been insane here over the last two years and ripples out into so many other problems to continue the overall demise of Aspen. But the unintended consequences of last week's decisions will have major implications as well: creative 59% work arounds and yet-another-Aspen-side-market for demo permits...

    That said - the majority of City Council does not (and has not, for a while) lived in subsidized housing. Councilors get paid ~$30k a year, meaning you need to have A) a nice nest egg or trust fund to step into the role, B) a low-commitment/high-pay side gig or C) truly affordable housing (ie long roots) and the thriftiness to survive those years. County commissioners make $80k, which is liveable:

    Mayor Torre: Lives in a free market Condo, works a "Tennis Pro in Aspen" driving a Z3 - you can connect the dots.

    Millennial Skippy: Lives in a free market rental, has a patchy work history up until his Council election but somehow managed to scrape together $100k to get a franchise STR business off the ground. Is currently bidding on subsidized housing condos; gotta get in while you qualify! You can connect the dots.

    Ward: Lives in a free market house with a Z-estimate of $5M. Successful small business owner before moving to Aspen full time.

    John: Lives in a free market condo, longtime local and artist since 1982.

    Rachel: Lives in a subsidized condo she purchased in 1988 for $64k, now worth ~$200k. 30 year public servant - mayor, county commissioner and city councilor. She was working at City Market part-time to pay the bills recently.


    The previous councils included:

    Ann: Lives in a free market house with a Z-estimate of $8M. Successful small business owner before moving to Aspen full time.

    Adam: Lives in a free market house with a Z-estimate of $10M. Successful currency trader before moving to Aspen full time.

  10. #22385
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Aspen
    Posts
    9,034
    Quote Originally Posted by alpinevibes View Post
    Mayor Torre: Lives in a free market Condo, works a "Tennis Pro in Aspen" driving a Z3 - you can connect the dots.
    I'm not sure a 20 year-old Z3 screams $$$$, but your point is otherwise accurate.

  11. #22386
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Access to Granlibakken
    Posts
    10,280
    Totally random observation, but I just realized that fastfred and ski J are polar opposites when it comes to punctuation.

  12. #22387
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    your vacation
    Posts
    3,871
    Quote Originally Posted by alpinevibes View Post
    I don't fully agree with the direction the council is taking on residential construction, but I agree that something has to be done to slow the roll. It's just been insane here over the last two years and ripples out into so many other problems to continue the overall demise of Aspen. But the unintended consequences of last week's decisions will have major implications as well: creative 59% work arounds and yet-another-Aspen-side-market for demo permits...

    That said - the majority of City Council does not (and has not, for a while) lived in subsidized housing. Councilors get paid ~$30k a year, meaning you need to have A) a nice nest egg or trust fund to step into the role, B) a low-commitment/high-pay side gig or C) truly affordable housing (ie long roots) and the thriftiness to survive those years. County commissioners make $80k, which is liveable:

    Mayor Torre: Lives in a free market Condo, works a "Tennis Pro in Aspen" driving a Z3 - you can connect the dots.

    Millennial Skippy: Lives in a free market rental, has a patchy work history up until his Council election but somehow managed to scrape together $100k to get a franchise STR business off the ground. Is currently bidding on subsidized housing condos; gotta get in while you qualify! You can connect the dots.

    Ward: Lives in a free market house with a Z-estimate of $5M. Successful small business owner before moving to Aspen full time.

    John: Lives in a free market condo, longtime local and artist since 1982.

    Rachel: Lives in a subsidized condo she purchased in 1988 for $64k, now worth ~$200k. 30 year public servant - mayor, county commissioner and city councilor. She was working at City Market part-time to pay the bills recently.


    The previous councils included:

    Ann: Lives in a free market house with a Z-estimate of $8M. Successful small business owner before moving to Aspen full time.

    Adam: Lives in a free market house with a Z-estimate of $10M. Successful currency trader before moving to Aspen full time.

    Amazing!
    Thanks for The break down
    I should do our council next for shits and giggles you guys are crushing it at 30k a year I think breck is around 9k mayor gets more commisioners get 80k plus a year I need that job

    did Lee mulcahy ever run for commissioner or council?

  13. #22388
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Aspen
    Posts
    9,034
    Quote Originally Posted by fastfred View Post
    did Lee mulcahy ever run for commissioner or council?
    Yep, for mayor. Needless to say he didnít win.

  14. #22389
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Aspen
    Posts
    2,288
    Quote Originally Posted by funkendrenchman View Post
    Yep, for mayor. Needless to say he didnít win.
    Sorry, bit of a rant/thread drift here. Favorite topic of mine... [But on the basis of real estate: it should be noted that the City of Aspen gave the buyers of Lee's house $250k towards upgrades, as part of the sale. Bit shady and shitty, if you ask me].

    Lee has a long history of running for public as a means of feeding his incessant narcissism and 10 gallon hat entitlement. He was our neighbor for many years and is one of the least credible and most laughable people I've ever encountered. An absolute ass-clown of a person, whose ego and conceit know no bounds...

    Lee ran for Mayor twice, taking home 17% of the vote in 2017 and conceding, before voting commenced, in 2021. He ran for State Senate in 2014, taking 4.2% of the vote in our district.

    His best attempt at public office, however, was his run for school board in 2015. As the Aspen Times stated in their sober assessment:

    "With regard to his current school board bid, Mulcahy has no children in school and no past as an educator ... but describes himself as a Ďproduct of public schoolsí and a firm believer in public education." [despite getting his bachelors and master's from private universities that daddy paid for].

    He tried very hard to paint himself as an educator, though his "teaching" credentials for managing a school district were primarily as having been a ski instructor and teaching some adjunct French 101 courses at Baylor back in the day (https://www.pr.com/press-release/634023). He repeatedly flaunted his PhD [Humanities from UT] as a silver bullet for knowing education and loved to trot out the fact he attended 'La Sorbonne,' despite only attending a mostly-American-student french language course.

    I do kinda miss seeing mr texas pedaling a 9 year old girls bike on the bike path, though.

  15. #22390
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,738
    Quote Originally Posted by alpinevibes View Post
    Sorry, bit of a rant/thread drift here. Favorite topic of mine... [But on the basis of real estate: it should be noted that the City of Aspen gave the buyers of Lee's house $250k towards upgrades, as part of the sale. Bit shady and shitty, if you ask me].

    Lee has a long history of running for public as a means of feeding his incessant narcissism and 10 gallon hat entitlement. He was our neighbor for many years and is one of the least credible and most laughable people I've ever encountered. An absolute ass-clown of a person, whose ego and conceit know no bounds...

    Lee ran for Mayor twice, taking home 17% of the vote in 2017 and conceding, before voting commenced, in 2021. He ran for State Senate in 2014, taking 4.2% of the vote in our district.

    His best attempt at public office, however, was his run for school board in 2015. As the Aspen Times stated in their sober assessment:

    "With regard to his current school board bid, Mulcahy has no children in school and no past as an educator ... but describes himself as a ‘product of public schools’ and a firm believer in public education." [despite getting his bachelors and master's from private universities that daddy paid for].

    He tried very hard to paint himself as an educator, though his "teaching" credentials for managing a school district were primarily as having been a ski instructor and teaching some adjunct French 101 courses at Baylor back in the day (https://www.pr.com/press-release/634023). He repeatedly flaunted his PhD [Humanities from UT] as a silver bullet for knowing education and loved to trot out the fact he attended 'La Sorbonne,' despite only attending a mostly-American-student french language course.

    I do kinda miss seeing mr texas pedaling a 9 year old girls bike on the bike path, though.
    I laughed at the part when he dumped a truckload of trash on the corner of the new art museum and called it "art", then got promptly tagged for littering. To his credit there was an art piece installed on the corner that same summer that kind of looked like trash.

  16. #22391
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    your vacation
    Posts
    3,871
    Well. Someone who still lives with his mom
    Maybe benny and lee are the sane person

    Sent from my SM-A426U using Tapatalk

  17. #22392
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    6,910
    This just blows my mind. No idea if someone would drop this kind of coin on a house like this, but I guess there are people with that kind of money to drop on something like this? Great location but still. That kind of money would get you a stupid huge house with all the bells and whistles and a couple acres of land here in Bend. Or somewhere in Idaho...

    https://www.redfin.com/CA/Pacific-Pa...9uX251bWJlcj0w
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

  18. #22393
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    An Anheuser-Busch Barley Field
    Posts
    5,793
    a 6.5M 1953 tear down


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  19. #22394
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Aspen
    Posts
    2,288
    Quote Originally Posted by Toadman View Post
    This just blows my mind. No idea if someone would drop this kind of coin on a house like this, but I guess there are people with that kind of money to drop on something like this? Great location but still. That kind of money would get you a stupid huge house with all the bells and whistles and a couple acres of land here in Bend. Or somewhere in Idaho...

    https://www.redfin.com/CA/Pacific-Pa...9uX251bWJlcj0w
    Location location location.

    The buyer will mostly like double their investment with an extensive remodel. $6M is the new $2M, right?!

  20. #22395
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Ogden
    Posts
    7,908
    Quote Originally Posted by Toadman View Post
    This just blows my mind. No idea if someone would drop this kind of coin on a house like this, but I guess there are people with that kind of money to drop on something like this? Great location but still. That kind of money would get you a stupid huge house with all the bells and whistles and a couple acres of land here in Bend. Or somewhere in Idaho...

    https://www.redfin.com/CA/Pacific-Pa...9uX251bWJlcj0w
    What do you think fire insurance would run on that place?

  21. #22396
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    2,165
    I'm surprised people down there still have pools and lawns; my aunt and uncle in the Bay Area filled in their pool due to water restrictions.

  22. #22397
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Posts
    14,518
    Quote Originally Posted by dan_pdx View Post
    I'm surprised people down there still have pools and lawns; my aunt and uncle in the Bay Area filled in their pool due to water restrictions.
    I kind of have the impression that a lot of the people in SoCal don’t give a shit about water restrictions.

  23. #22398
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    northern BC
    Posts
    27,996
    Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    What do you think fire insurance would run on that place?
    don't forget taxes which are 10K a year on that listing

    some friends put up a picture of the childhood vaca home/ waterfront cottage back east which the fam were listing, it was beautiful but nobody in the fam wanted it cuz taxes were 36k a year
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

  24. #22399
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    关你屁事
    Posts
    8,140
    Quote Originally Posted by dan_pdx View Post
    I'm surprised people down there still have pools and lawns; my aunt and uncle in the Bay Area filled in their pool due to water restrictions.
    Fire protection

  25. #22400
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    slc
    Posts
    16,211
    Stats for my zip code per Zillow today:

    Typical Home Value: $597,196
    Typical Home Value 1 Year Ago: $460,524
    Forecasted 1-Year Change: +15.8%


    The forecast blows my mind and will be interesting to see if it pans out. Pre-pandemic median was barely over $300k.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •