Page 895 of 919 FirstFirst ... 890 891 892 893 894 895 896 897 898 899 900 ... LastLast
Results 22,351 to 22,375 of 22958
    Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    Really? Of all the bullshit going on in this country, that is what has you REALLY pissed off?

Feeling a little angry huh? And ya, it is the boomers that want 50 & 100 year loans.
    Boomers are the shitheads likely coming up with this stuff and causing the crises we see in affordability as they've just been asleep at the wheel in terms of ensuring any level of useful housing growth. Most are too busy nimbying it up.

As far as cap gains - income is income. Why should a stockbroker or rich person pay less because of the vehicle they happen to use?
    It's just dumb incentives for finance people to be ev n bigger fucksticks

Quote Originally Posted by schuss View Post
    Boomers are the shitheads likely coming up with this stuff and causing the crises we see in affordability as they've just been asleep at the wheel in terms of ensuring any level of useful housing growth. Most are too busy nimbying it up.

As far as cap gains - income is income. Why should a stockbroker or rich person pay less because of the vehicle they happen to use?
    It's just dumb incentives for finance people to be ev n bigger fucksticks
    Boomers are hitting retirement. These products are likely the result of a bunch of GenXers at this point.

Whatever floats your anger Schuss. I have much bigger fish scaring the fuck out of me.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    Hey Ted, did you see the New York Times just did a story about how awesome Bellingham is to visit? I'm sure all the Bham locals are stoked to have that exposure!
    Visiting and living are two different things. NYC is a nice place to visit. Wouldn't want to live there.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Huh, I am not really even a fan of the visit. Out of the city has some beautiful places to be.
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.

Whatever floats your anger Schuss. I have much bigger fish scaring the fuck out of me.
    Anger is useless, just calling a spade a spade here. There's no reason cap gains should be a preferential mechanism to salary and you can't exactly pin the last 20 years of policy decisions on gen x or millennials.

I have no desire to explain economic policy to you. Think about it though, for most people a home is their #1 way to accumulate wealth. Policy is set up to encourage home ownership whether you agree or not.

Once you go to 50 or 100 year mortgage you’re just a renter. All your wealth only comes from inflation.
    Which is huge these days.

Loving my 20 year commercial loans. Will be pure gravy no debt pretty soon.

I have no desire to explain economic policy to you. Think about it though, for most people a home is their #1 way to accumulate wealth. Policy is set up to encourage home ownership whether you agree or not.
    Any lose wealth also? It's a leveraged tax advantaged investment that you happen to live in. I'm not sure why we as a society undersell the downside risk. Besides HELOCs and 2nds, the only way to convert home equity into cash is to sell. But then you need a place to live.

vanlife.!.?

The exclusion on home sales after you live in places and roll it into others is enough. You don't need the additional rate carve out for all cap gains.

Quote Originally Posted by schuss View Post
    The exclusion on home sales after you live in places and roll it into others is enough. You don't need the additional rate carve out for all cap gains.
    The delay of Capital Gains has nothing to do with the other owner occ exclusion. Again, both these policies are in effect to encourage people to buy a primary residence or to move the equity from an initial smaller rental into larger rentals (units) which is a benefit to all (owners & tenants). Most tenants would rather deal with a private owner rather than corporate owners. If you are so damn smart, get a job that effects policy.

Quote Originally Posted by m2711c View Post
    vanlife.!.?
    Van life.

Also consider the downside risk of your wife wanting a 70k accent wall and other stupid shit.

The van house combo is money when you Airbnb your house and chill in the van. Owned a house for 8 years recently never paid any bill. Was plus a few grand each year.

Live laugh love.

The delay of Capital Gains has nothing to do with the other owner occ exclusion. Again, both these policies are in effect to encourage people to buy a primary residence or to move the equity from an initial smaller rental into larger rentals (units) which is a benefit to all (owners & tenants). Most tenants would rather deal with a private owner rather than corporate owners. If you are so damn smart, get a job that effects policy.
    I'd rather not take the pay cut. You are completely missing my point. Primarily investment bankers, real estate developers and some others get paid and taxed through primarily through capital gains. We've decided that it's somehow a magically different stream of income that should be taxed less, therefore saying that those are more important than any other number of professions.
    I'd also say that "house as store of wealth" is a real shitty thing in a lot of cases, as people are just looking to not commute hours to work and someone is sitting on an empty apartment as an investment vehicle. I'd also argue with your point of "people want a private landlord" as it really depends - plenty of private landlords with 1-2 properties that are complete shitheads and terrible to deal with - I know as I've had one of them.

Capital gains tax is used for lots of assets other than homes such as stocks, bonds and other purely financial mechanisms.
    I think a lot of us could support a restriction of CG taxes status to primary homes.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    Yeah, and the local reddit sub was apoplectic.

I get the feeling that the author hasn't actually been here.
    I feel like I've been to Bellingham a fair bit and I'd never heard of most of the places the author suggested, which seemed a bit strange.

Crash???

https://www.compass.com/listing/730-...5728356242305/

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

$100,000,000.00 and no ski racks or tuning room? fuckin' posers...

and what the fuck is with that statue of a dude jerkin off?

If you are so damn smart, get a job that effects policy.
    To get a job that affects policy, being buyable by lobbies probably goes a lot further than being smart.

Quote Originally Posted by alpinevibes View Post
    Crash???

Burn?
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Quote Originally Posted by alpinevibes View Post
    Crash???

Only $7k /sq ft? Itís a steal

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyCarter View Post
    Only $7k /sq ft? It’s a steal
    From whom?
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    I feel like I've been to Bellingham a fair bit and I'd never heard of most of the places the author suggested, which seemed a bit strange.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    ...a collection of Bellingham 'institutions', ocean views, and the recently-reviewed-elsewhere.
    The Farm To Market Bakery is the alter ego of The Rhododendron Cafe in Bow, and Breadfarm (she didn't even get the name right) makes the best bread in two counties. Both could be found in a tourism book (if that's still a thing) but there are way more interesting places in Edison.

Similarly, Old Town and The Horseshoe are Bellingham's oldest restaurants, the former being one of the best breakfast & lunch spots in town, and the latter being a greasy spoon on one side, and dive bar on the other. They, along with Spark museum are certainly Bellingham institutions, but the notion that they attract tourists is a stretch.

Gruff Brewing is a block away from Boundary Bay. I'm guessing the reason it was chosen over the dozen other breweries in town is the view. Same goes for Cider Co. (not meant as a put down - both are good).

Carnal and Makeworth are newer, and definitely still have a buzz. Rock & Rye is an offshoot from Bayou on Bay's bar side. They and Taylor Farms are de rigueur mentions for tourists who've never had real/fresh shellfish.

Quote Originally Posted by m2711c View Post
    and what the fuck is with that statue of a dude jerkin off?
    I guess he couldn't find a bear

Quote Originally Posted by Summer View Post
    Never been to Aspen, so genuine question: would people ski through your backyard? Do you just stand out on the balcony and chuck those fancy pillows at people when they cut through?

The statue is an interesting choice. Native American wanking in front of a shrine to capitalism.
    No, itís down over the edge of the groomer, shielded by some trees and itís near bottom of the mountain. The somewhat unique quality to Aspen Mountain is that there are only ~10 houses that actually have ski in/out access touching the resort and maybe 75-100 condos units.

Absolutely stupid price, but itís a special house in a way.