Page 892 of 1072 FirstFirst ... 887 888 889 890 891 892 893 894 895 896 897 ... LastLast
Results 22,276 to 22,300 of 26794
    Shit, my dog costs $50 a day to board him at the doggy daycare. A nanny taking on two rotten crotch fruit should cost twice that. Fucking whiny breeders. It don’t take a village, it takes two responsible adults who don’t put their needs for neat hiking trails over the needs of their children to have childcare.

Quote Originally Posted by J. Barron DeJong View Post
    Your memory must just be poor. I graduated college just about 17 years ago, and was making about $50k/yr. Living large: driving a brand new BMW M3 that only cost me $15k, renting a fantastic apartment for only $400/month. Taking my future wife out to a fancy dinner only cost $20! Amazing times!
    1982 was 40 years ago bud.

Quote Originally Posted by Name Redacted View Post
    Shit, my dog costs $50 a day to board him at the doggy daycare. A nanny taking on two rotten crotch fruit should cost twice that. Fucking whiny breeders. It don’t take a village, it takes two responsible adults who don’t put their needs for neat hiking trails over the needs of their children to have childcare.
    That seems a little harsh. I assume since Covid that a lack of child care spots is much more of an issue than it was a few years ago. Some families probably moved to those towns prior to Covid when there was care available and then lost it. We personally had that happen during covid, but luckily our kids were aging out if it anyway, and we were working from home, so it wasn’t a massive burden on us.

(And yes, I should have considered the lack of spots before making my snarky comment about paying $50/hr for child care.)

Quote Originally Posted by RoooR View Post
    1982 was 40 years ago bud.
    M3s didn’t exist in 1982.

(maybe read through the entire thread before replying )

..Fucking whiny breeders...
    Pretending that childcare availability and affordability ain't a crisis in this country is just that -- pretending. The US Treasury department has explicility said it's a broken market: https://home.treasury.gov/system/fil...9-14-final.pdf . Families aren't served well, employees don't make a living wage, and no one is getting rich.

Whether you have kids or not, future of the places we live depends on them.

It has nothing to do with two people who wanted to move to Summit co. It's a statewide and national problem. We have approximately 30% of the available licensed child care for kids under the age of 3 that we need in all of Colorado.

That seems a little harsh. I assume since Covid that a lack of child care spots is much more of an issue than it was a few years ago. Some families probably moved to those towns prior to Covid when there was care available and then lost it. We personally had that happen during covid, but luckily our kids were aging out if it anyway, and we were working from home, so it wasn’t a massive burden on us.

(And yes, I should have considered the lack of spots before making my snarky comment about paying $50/hr for child care.)
    Honestly -- at least in the case of CO -- relatively few child care slots declined year over year in Colorado during the pandemic. Yes -- some centers closed, but some opened. There was a fuckton of money floated to facilities to make that happen.

This isn't to say it didn't happen anywhere. But on a per-county basis in CO, only a couple of counties lost slots year over year between 2019 and 2021.

For the family in question -- I'd put good money on their ability to find a slot for their 4 year old. It's the infants and todds that are super hard to find. Let alone a center that has availability for both.

Source: I was deeply involved at the state level in childcare for about a decade -- and was responsible for producing those statistics.

Does she have four kids? I know daycare is expensive, but we live an expensive town and certainly were able to find significantly less expensive care than that.
    2 kids. One is 5 and the other just turned 2.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    Pretending that childcare availability and affordability ain't a crisis in this country is just that -- pretending. The US Treasury department has explicility said it's a broken market: https://home.treasury.gov/system/fil...9-14-final.pdf . Families aren't served well, employees don't make a living wage, and no one is getting rich.

It has nothing to do with two people who wanted to move to Summit co. It's a statewide and national problem. We have approximately 30% of the available licensed child care for kids under the age of 3 that we need in all of Colorado.
    I have had many conversations with senior mgmt. at well known international companies, and they are all complaining that the employees with kids don't want to commute back to work. The number one complaint is the cost of daycare. Most of these companies have gone to a 3 day in office, 2 days WFH, and employees are balking at that.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Kids ruin everything

It says that they easily found quality childcare down on the front range. They just can’t find it where they want to live. And bought a $1M+ home without researching. Then a nanny wasn’t good enough and too expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Toadman View Post
    I have had many conversations with senior mgmt. at well known international companies, and they are all complaining that the employees with kids don't want to commute back to work. The number one complaint is the cost of daycare. Most of these companies have gone to a 3 day in office, 2 days WFH, and employees are balking at that.
    It's not an accident that the largest federal subsidy program for child care is designed as a work support program (e.g. it's premise is to keep folks in the labor pool.)
    It just doesn't pay enough to providers to participate and its funding is about 1/10th of what it needs to be if it were going to make care "affordable" (typically represented as 8% of income) for all families with kids.

The vast vast majority of childcare is paid for by the slot. That is -- you pay for every weekday whether you use it or not. Otherwise, the biz models of child cares breaks down as they can't make payroll and provide consistent staffing. So if a family needs it 2 or 3 days a week, it's just as costly as 5 unless you find a center with unusually flexible rates/scheduling.

It says that they easily found quality childcare down on the front range. They just can’t find it where they want to live. And bought a $1M+ home without researching. Then a nanny wasn’t good enough and too expensive.
    So families shouldn't be able to live in the mountains? Or just families shouldn't be allowed to migrate there? Is it an unreasonable expectation that basic social necessities be available in a county with over 30,000 people?

The problem of child care availability is a systemic problem in the US. We can shit on individuals decisions all we want, but that doesn't change that we need more childcare in mtn resort communities.

So families shouldn't be able to live in the mountains? Or just families shouldn't be allowed to migrate there? Is it an unreasonable expectation that basic social necessities be available in a county with over 30,000 people?

The problem of child care availability is a systemic problem in the US. We can shit on individuals decisions all we want, but that doesn't change that we need more childcare in mtn resort communities.
    Never said that. But maybe you should check into that kinda stuff before you move here. You know they knew there was a Whole Foods and a brewery with hazy ipas. Why didn’t they know childcare was a challenge?

Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    Kids ruin everything
    QFT

Personally, my favorite part is that they then turn around and short term the place. They could rent long term- you know, to someone who might be a child care provider (or teacher, nurse, waitstaff, or dishwasher). Then they wonder why they can't find daycare, or why their favorite restaurant is only open 5 nights a week.

Very little sympathy for those who know what mega pass they’re going to buy before they know who is going to watch their kids.

Never said that. But maybe you should check into that kinda stuff before you move here. You know they knew there was a Whole Foods and a brewery with hazy ipas. Why didn’t they know childcare was a challenge?
    yup

thats why mtn town people are so privileged cause every thing should be easy and you just snap your fingers and get what you want specially when you have money to buy the 1mil plus house ski pass cars nice job that pays well

I' posted the article cause that sums up what all us mtn people are like
    not only child care but cheap easy housing should be available to all
    whenyou don't get what you want cheap and easy you blame wfh short terms rich people on and on so easy to blame other people instead of pullin yourself up by the bootstraps

and if you had a job that was actualpart of the community here in summit county the local gov't does a great job subsidizing that child care
    it's even better every year some jack ass starts railing about those subsidies and handouts so people can have free child care
    the d bag doesn't realize they are the people mowing his lawn cleaning the scum out of his hot tub waiting tables plowing his roads that are getting a break on the costs

Are they privileged or being taken advantage of by the system? The richest most productive system so far.

Name:  D8E911C9-66D9-4716-9E58-18D2AB15165E.jpeg
Views: 585
Size:  309.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by fastfred View Post
    yup

thats why mtn town people are so privileged cause every thing should be easy and you just snap your fingers and get what you want specially when you have money to buy the 1mil plus house ski pass cars nice job that pays well

I' posted the article cause that sums up what all us mtn people are like
    not only child care but cheap easy housing should be available to all
    whenyou don't get what you want cheap and easy you blame wfh short terms rich people on and on so easy to blame other people instead of pullin yourself up by the bootstraps

and if you had a job that was actualpart of the community here in summit county the local gov't does a great job subsidizing that child care
    it's even better every year some jack ass starts railing about those subsidies and handouts so people can have free child care
    the d bag doesn't realize they are the people mowing his lawn cleaning the scum out of his hot tub waiting tables plowing his roads that are getting a break on the costs
    people are like everywhere now Freddy, the assumption of the last decade is everything can be ubered and things just magically appear. It’s way more that so in cities than mountain towns

, Long term rentals are still $4-8+k a month...(we rent our Victor house for $1800, nice FS family)
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    , Long term rentals are still $4-8+k a month...(we rent our Victor house for $1800, nice FS family)
    Good on ya for that. I'm a believer in karma.

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Dude, we ever cross paths, drinks are on me.

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    Good on ya for that. I'm a believer in karma.
    Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    Dude, we ever cross paths, drinks are on me.
    Same here.

My parents own a home with an ADU and were renting both out to "locals" (nurse) below market rate. Then the nosy ass neighbor Karen started harassing them (called the cops a few times and snooped around their house because she didn't like them parking on the street in front of her house) and since you can't rent both units (HOA rules) one unit is currently sitting empty. I park my shitty car in front of that bitches place everyday, because fuck her.

I didn't read the article but I assume it's a typical zoomer family. That said childcare is a bitch and especially so through Covid, even if they are in normal public schools. I guess I should have looked into it more when I moved here eleven years ago and didn't foresee a global pandemic.

Hindsight is 20/20.
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Well, I'm not allowed to delete this post, but, I can say, go fuck yourselves, everybody!

I think Benny's comment should have been in the "Shit that annoys you" thread. Curious, was he ban or self imploded?
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.