Page 891 of 1072 FirstFirst ... 886 887 888 889 890 891 892 893 894 895 896 ... LastLast
Results 22,251 to 22,275 of 26794
    That was a solid self own there. Sigworthy.

Even more awesome because 2^2.5 > 1.1^17

Quote Originally Posted by CarlMega View Post
    The thing I like about you is you really get me. JBDJ probably wasn't taking his girl out on the town for $20 either. I've never seen a 400/mo rent in my life.
    Shit… you’re right. With my $50k salary I actually bought a used Mazda, had to pay about $1200/month for a pretty mediocre apartment outside of Baltimore, and a pretty average restaurant meal for two cost about $40-$50 if you got a beer with it.

Lack of childcare is nothing new. My office had a remodel a few years ago, so we were purging old files. I found a clipped newspaper article (was it the "Vail Daily" in 1993? I would have been in an Iowan 4th grade classroom) about Vail buying Arrowhead and adding it onto Beaver Creek. On the backside of that clipping was an article about the outrageous cost and unavailability of daycare in the area.

FYI - we're in a tiny mountain town with great bike trails, high cost of living, overpriced real estate, understaffed everything. Paying $50/day apiece for 1 and 3 year olds. The older one is about to join a preschool for the same cost.

Childcare is a weird thing that is both too expensive for parents and too underpaid to providers.

If you had a $1000 after 7 years you would then need $2000 with 10% inflation. $4000 after the next 7 years. Prices would have doubled about 2.5 Times in 17 years. Coincidentally, it is also 5x the original cost.

I did the math.

re: childcare cost: I think the kids are siphoning off the money somehow.

Quote Originally Posted by NakedShorts View Post
    You suck at math. 10% inflation doubles every 7 years. So about 2.5xs not 10.
    Your third statement does not follow from the second. The second is true.
    17 years allows for more than two doublings, so 5x is a good guess.

I did the math.
    Sure, you did. DYOMR from Dr. Google.

Edit: Anyone else dying inside because his first post isn't internally consistent. Then his follow-up 'I can save this'... "doubling 2.5x" also isn't consistent. It's killing me.
    Last edited by CarlMega; 06-29-2022 at 10:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by J. Barron DeJong View Post
    Shit… you’re right. .
    I already know you get me. Finger mustache gave it away.

Quote Originally Posted by fastfred View Post
    just had a good discussion about south park (fairplay colorado) area today the writing is on the wall over there
    way too over valued and one too many homeowner builds plus people who think they can build cheap over there lots of unfinished properties and lots of over valued homes on the market just sitting and other people who realized they bought a house at the end of shitty dirt road
    We are doing a homeowner build in Valley of the Sun outside of Fairplay near the end of a fairly shitty dirt road that is not too high up the mountain that is an arterial for plowing. Working on site prep this year. Got the well drilled in January. There has been a major run up in land and home prices the past two years there, but now houses and lots seem to be sitting and having fairly large price cuts in quite a few cases. My Dad owns a construction company in NE with my brothers and I worked with him for 10 years. It is going to be quite the process. I’d like to hear more of your take on the Fairplay area and what you’ve observed.

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    Yes. My point was that with a HOA, how the fuck can you do fractional ownership. Unless it’s in the bylaws. HOA is supposed to keep shit legit.
    I manage a resort with 21 cabins, all fractional ownership (4 shares per cabin). Rental income and interior fixtures/maintenance are handled by the Shared Ownership Program (SOP), which bills the owners for dues consisting of reserves for future costs and operating costs. All cabins are also in an HOA, which bills for dues consisting of exterior/common area reserves and operating budget.

HOA and SOP each handle a specific part of the ownership costs. It’s an unusual setup, but it works just fine.

[After an expansive search for available child care, they settled on the “expensive” option and found a nanny. After one year and a lot of lost dollars, they returned to the Front Range, deciding to rent their home to another family who’s since doubled its use as a day care.]

That's some funny shit!

Quote Originally Posted by Flyoverland Captive View Post
    I manage a resort with 21 cabins, all fractional ownership (4 shares per cabin). Rental income and interior fixtures/maintenance are handled by the Shared Ownership Program (SOP), which bills the owners for dues consisting of reserves for future costs and operating costs. All cabins are also in an HOA, which bills for dues consisting of exterior/common area reserves and operating budget.

HOA and SOP each handle a specific part of the ownership costs. It’s an unusual setup, but it works just fine.
    Any fractional ownership needs a HOA

My point was a non fractional single family HOA neighborhood shouldn’t have one house go fractional.

. I’m not in a HOA. But if my neighbor went fractional I’d be pissed.
    Probably not much I could do. But shits going weird. I never wanted to deal with HOA. But maybe it’s got some benefit

Quote Originally Posted by wolfelot View Post
    We are doing a homeowner build in Valley of the Sun outside of Fairplay near the end of a fairly shitty dirt road that is not too high up the mountain that is an arterial for plowing. Working on site prep this year. Got the well drilled in January. There has been a major run up in land and home prices the past two years there, but now houses and lots seem to be sitting and having fairly large price cuts in quite a few cases. My Dad owns a construction company in NE with my brothers and I worked with him for 10 years. It is going to be quite the process. I’d like to hear more of your take on the Fairplay area and what you’ve observed.
    massive run ups in prices as usual they will crash the hardest
    low taxes but shitty services someone can make more money working in a t shirt shop in breck than they can as a deputy sheriff they don't have anyone on staff after 7pm every day right now so if you call the police at night good luck
    two militias in the area
    half the houses used to be grow houses with idiots thinking they are master growers so the houses are trashed
    endless homeowner builds half finished houses shit holes that people "got a deal on" and are in over their head
    asking 500k for a half built house (seriously)
    if you start hiring "locals" to work on your house if they say they are from Hartsel don't hire them they will take the tires cadiladic converter your tools and building materials home at the end of the day
    definitely some good people over there to hire but usually they show up together cause only one has a car and the rest have restricted drivers licenses due to drug and alcohol issues
    most people build houses over there because they think its cheaper
    most people would rather work in summit county cause the work is better and the pay is better and on time
    every "invester" has bought a house over there and short terms it out with no oversite or cares
    idtiots from littleton rent them think they are in the wilderness and tear up and down the roads on dirt bikes side by sides and their big trucks they shoot guns off the back deck oblivious that there is a house just through the woods they have massive bon fires while burn restrictions are in place and generally act like dick heads
    unfortunately a friend of mine got into it with the gold miners from that stupid ass gold mining show about their antics next door he fired a gun in their direction as they swarmed and threatened him while he was telling them to knock it the fuck off and all hell broke loose for him

it keeps going and going it's park county
    great place to be if you want to hide out or your priced out of summit and want to commute to work or just want alittle bit of space

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_2022-06-29-20-08-40-972_com.financial.calculator.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	406.4 KB 
ID:	420299

How many times did the $1000 DOUBLE?

Not

How many times is $5000 greater than $1000?

Others show they still suck at math too.

And not 10x

Still here? That's literally what my post was about: 10% over 17 years is x5.
    And your come back was "you're back at Math". You had to pull out a calculator for that? Doubling down on stupid?

And not 10x
    No one said 10x anywhere. You're the first person who wrote that. Can't read either?

Quote Originally Posted by Mani_UT View Post
    Still here? That's literally what my post was about: 10% over 17 years is x5.
    And your come back was "you're bad at Math". You had to pull out a calculator for that? Doubling down on stupid?
    He's amazing, his dedication to proving you correct now is impressive..

After an oblivious error - using a rule of thumb & misguided division of span (7 goes into 17 roughly 2.5x) while neglecting the compound and reference pt... he then leans into a very novel and inaccurate method of expressing compounds by means of "doubling". Still wrong. I'm waiting to hear what his 1/2 of a double of 4K is going to produce from 14 to 17 years.

The premise of his challenge to you, his "maths", and his result are all different. The online compound interest calc, like you, are refreshingly correct.

Quote Originally Posted by CarlMega View Post
    He's amazing, his dedication to proving you correct now is impressive..

After an oblivious error - using a rule of thumb & misguided division of span (7 goes into 17 roughly 2.5x) while neglecting the compound and reference pt... he then leans into a very novel and inaccurate method of expressing compounds by means of "doubling". Still wrong. I'm waiting to hear what his 1/2 of a double of 4K is going to produce from 14 to 17 years.

The premise of his challenge to you, his "maths", and his result are all different. The online compound interest calc, like you, are refreshingly correct.
    Yes, completely unreal.
    If it's that hard for someone to admit they made a mistake (we all make some) on something so black and white I can't imagine having a conversation on a more complex subject. Nuts.

That’s fucking hilarious

Debt becomes an asset. Winning

At those rates I’m doubling down on my negative investments

Thanks Fred. I’ll keep an eye out for the weekend GI JOEs.

Quote Originally Posted by fastfred View Post
    ban this ban that next thing you know the place shuts down

a ski town of just core locals who get endless first tracks day after day with no lift lines and cheap passess and universal income where is this town?

sounds about right people in summit can't get out of there own way
    the statements causes and shit are endless

this article takes the cake I'd be embarrased to be featured in it
    but that is summit county everyone is entitled to their dream and it all has to come true without any hardships or effort
    I guess all those summers living in a tent were for nothing I shud have just demanded it

https://www.summitdaily.com/news/lac...of-the-county/

feels like a fucking friday
    Kids are expensive. Have someone at work now that says they pay $50/hr for day care. And just half a day at that. My niece in CT works for a day care in an upscale area. She makes $20/hour iirc. (Might be $24 now, as some people started leaving)
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Quote Originally Posted by Toadman View Post
    Kids are expensive. Have someone at work now that says they pay $50/hr for day care. And just half a day at that.
    Does she have four kids? I know daycare is expensive, but we live an expensive town and certainly were able to find significantly less expensive care than that.

One reason people get nannies here is that sometimes there is not an available spot at any daycare, for any price.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    That’s fucking hilarious

Debt becomes an asset. Winning

At those rates I’m doubling down on my negative investments
    Shockingly, both Naked Shorts and Core Shot can’t handle intermediate math. Who would of thought two of the resident conspiracy theorists could so confidently be so wrong.