Page 890 of 1072 FirstFirst ... 885 886 887 888 889 890 891 892 893 894 895 ... LastLast
Results 22,226 to 22,250 of 26794
    Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    I have seen them for years as condos in B.C. (Victoria). The buyers obviously all participate in utilities, HOA and special assessment fees.
    Yeah, you see quite a few in Whistler, too. Not sure why there would be anything shady about it and it makes more sense to me than having lots of vacation homes that sit empty for the majority of the year. Seems like some people want it both ways: no STRs and no homes sitting vacant and that's impossible to achieve.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    Seems like some people want it both ways: no STRs and no homes sitting vacant and that's impossible to achieve.
    I believe the dream is to have all housing for locals only, while not losing out on any of the benefits that visitors bring to a vacation town. (I say this only slightly facetiously, as a ski town local.)

Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    <snip> Four buildings needed new roofs for a total of about $180k. They voted no because they didn't want the assessment. Without deep details, a few other bills came up due to the lack of upkeep and those bills were a lot more than $180k.

Indeed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Well, I'm not allowed to delete this post, but, I can say, go fuck yourselves, everybody!

Quote Originally Posted by J. Barron DeJong View Post
    I believe the dream is to have all housing for locals only, while not losing out on any of the benefits that visitors bring to a vacation town. (I say this only slightly facetiously, as a ski town local.)
    thats 100% what some towns want, if you define local as”person who’s check cashed”

Mayor in one of our local towns states outright that he wishes he could figure out a way to go after second homeowners like they have the STRs.

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    I’ve been a fan of shadowstats since the feds stopped counting inflation the way they used to.
    Substitution is bullshit.

I’m not sure they are legit. But our government lies to us. So I trust independent sites more than the fed.

Ymmv. Or. Just look at your bills and expenses.

Here’s the beginning of the discrepancy

Attachment 420190
    This is the dumbest chart I have ever seen. The "real" inflation would have been 10% on avg since 2005? Compounded that would be a x5 in 17 years (2005-2022).
    Just about NOTHING went x5 in that period, let alone a basket of goods.

Quote Originally Posted by Name Redacted View Post
    Mayor in one of our local towns states outright that he wishes he could figure out a way to go after second homeowners like they have the STRs.
    In many spots they have a separate set of prop tax rates if it's not your primary residence.

Quote Originally Posted by Mani_UT View Post
    This is the dumbest chart I have ever seen. The "real" inflation would have been 10% on avg since 2005? Compounded that would be a x5 in 17 years (2005-2022).
    Your memory must just be poor. I graduated college just about 17 years ago, and was making about $50k/yr. Living large: driving a brand new BMW M3 that only cost me $15k, renting a fantastic apartment for only $400/month. Taking my future wife out to a fancy dinner only cost $20! Amazing times!

17 years ago? Oh man, a long distance phone call was like .75/min. I'd hate to think of what that costs today! Don't get me started on vulcanization fees in the modern era! Have you priced Kinkos mimeographs lately?

How the fuck do you sell fractional shares in a hoa?
    It's not fractional ownership in an HOA, it's fractional ownership of a house that is in the HOA neighborhood. Last week a Redfin listing popped up in my inbox for a fractional ownership of 45 days. Cost was around $450k. Selling 8 shares. This house is not worth $3.6 million. It's a big house, but no way is it worth more than maybe $2 million. I will see if I can find the listing and post it.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Quote Originally Posted by CarlMega View Post
    17 years ago? Oh man, a long distance phone call was like .75/min. I'd hate to think of what that costs today! Don't get me started on vulcanization fees in the modern era! Have you priced Kinkos mimeographs lately?

2005? long distance was free with cells. I think you mean 27 or 37 years

$15k m3 weren’t a thing

Yes. It’s legit unless you substitute

Your memory must just be poor. I graduated college just about 17 years ago, and was making about $50k/yr. Living large: driving a brand new BMW M3 that only cost me $15k, renting a fantastic apartment for only $400/month. Taking my future wife out to a fancy dinner only cost $20! Amazing times!
    Yep.

Quote Originally Posted by Toadman View Post
    It's not fractional ownership in an HOA, it's fractional ownership of a house that is in the HOA neighborhood. Last week a Redfin listing popped up in my inbox for a fractional ownership of 45 days. Cost was around $450k. Selling 8 shares. This house is not worth $3.6 million. It's a big house, but no way is it worth more than maybe $2 million. I will see if I can find the listing and post it.
    My point was that with a HOA, how the fuck can you do fractional ownership. Unless it’s in the bylaws. HOA is supposed to keep shit legit.

My point was that with a HOA, how the fuck can you do fractional ownership. Unless it’s in the bylaws. HOA is supposed to keep shit legit.
    I'd say HOA would have to prevent LLC's from owning the property which I'm sure most will not do since it is so common.

Okay, gotcha. HOA is slow to the party. Amongst other things.

Here's the listing. My bad, house is bigger than I remembered. Probably could get about $2.6-$2.8 million for it pre mortgage rate hike. Might be tough now.

https://www.pacaso.com/listings/3345...2-f91f317c2ba3

Well, Pacaso actually paid over market - No wonder the owners sold to the highest corporate bidder. Weren't we just having this discussion...

https://www.redfin.com/OR/Bend/3345-.../home/77535326
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Holy fuck. Pacasso got called an asshole.

I didn’t know that was possible. I mean yeah. There’s timeshares or fractional ownership in large buildings. But a random single family nice house going fractional?
    That’s insane.

Quote Originally Posted by Toadman View Post
    Okay, gotcha. HOA is slow to the party. Amongst other things.

Here's the listing. My bad, house is bigger than I remembered. Probably could get about $2.6-$2.8 million for it pre mortgage rate hike. Might be tough now.

https://www.pacaso.com/listings/3345...2-f91f317c2ba3

Well, Pacaso actually paid over market - No wonder the owners sold to the highest corporate bidder. Weren't we just having this discussion...

https://www.redfin.com/OR/Bend/3345-.../home/77535326
    Interesting that the fractional price is the same as the price they paid. Assume there's owner's/management fees they are taking or there doesn't seem to be much benefit to them. For a lot of people, this type of arrangement makes sense. I know that I likely wouldn't use a vacation home much more than 7 weeks a year until I retire. This helps keep the cost more reasonable and you can still get access in nice locations. Not much different than families/friends have been doing forever. Just adding a Corp in the middle to keep things from getting personal.

Yes. It’s legit unless you substitute
    Huh no.
    Pick up what you want. Truck? Not x5. House? Not time 5. Eggs? Meat? definitely not x5. I have a spread sheet with every purchase I have made (from a single coffee on) since 2008 (missing 3 years to 2005 granted) and no. Nothing went x5 let alone an average of everything.

A VW passat was 25/30k in 2005. Do you think it's 125/150k now? LOL.

You suck at math. 10% inflation doubles every 7 years. So about 2.5xs not 10.

Quote Originally Posted by NakedShorts View Post
    1x1.1^17

Not too bright huh?

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    2005? long distance was free with cells. I think you mean 27 or 37 years

$15k m3 weren’t a thing
    The thing I like about you is you really get me. JBDJ probably wasn't taking his girl out on the town for $20 either. I've never seen a 400/mo rent in my life.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    Yeah, you see quite a few in Whistler, too. Not sure why there would be anything shady about it and it makes more sense to me than having lots of vacation homes that sit empty for the majority of the year. Seems like some people want it both ways: no STRs and no homes sitting vacant and that's impossible to achieve.
    ban this ban that next thing you know the place shuts down

a ski town of just core locals who get endless first tracks day after day with no lift lines and cheap passess and universal income where is this town?

Quote Originally Posted by Name Redacted View Post
    sounds about right people in summit can't get out of there own way
    the statements causes and shit are endless

this article takes the cake I'd be embarrased to be featured in it
    but that is summit county everyone is entitled to their dream and it all has to come true without any hardships or effort
    I guess all those summers living in a tent were for nothing I shud have just demanded it

https://www.summitdaily.com/news/lac...of-the-county/

feels like a fucking friday

Yeah, that article was pretty fucked.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/in...?mod=home-page..... Article today from Market Watch
    what's so funny about peace, love, and understanding?

Quote Originally Posted by NakedShorts View Post
    Uh huh. Somewhere there's a 3rd grade D math student in common core ready to dunk on you.