Page 603 of 749 FirstFirst ... 598 599 600 601 602 603 604 605 606 607 608 ... LastLast
Results 15,051 to 15,075 of 18706
  1. #15051
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    6,543
    Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post

    This gets fixed fast, like in a month, by Federal legislation, or you are just setting the grounds for civil disorder that will make last summer and Occupy Wall Street look like kindgartners squabbling on the playground.
    Curious as to what legislation you think would accomplish this- like what angle would you come at the problem from?


    Sent from my SM-G935P using TGR Forums mobile app

  2. #15052
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    9,300ft
    Posts
    19,067
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyCarter View Post
    Curious as to what legislation you think would accomplish this- like what angle would you come at the problem from?


    Sent from my SM-G935P using TGR Forums mobile app
    I don't know... not my area of expertise... some kind of stringent antitrust focused on housing?

    You remove the dream of home ownership from the American dream and bad things follow
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

  3. #15053
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    panhandle locdog
    Posts
    7,291
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyCarter View Post
    Curious as to what legislation you think would accomplish this- like what angle would you come at the problem from?


    Sent from my SM-G935P using TGR Forums mobile app
    Tax appreciation of real estate held by corporations the same as corporate net income.

  4. #15054
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    2 hours from anything
    Posts
    9,146
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyCarter View Post
    Curious as to what legislation you think would accomplish this- like what angle would you come at the problem from?


    Sent from my SM-G935P using TGR Forums mobile app
    No tax deductible expenses on SFH rentals, period. No maintenance, interest, depreciation expense, etc. Also the gain on a sfh sale that is not your primary residence is taxed as income, not a capital gain (and restore the corporate income tax levels). Also remove any conversion/ exchange loopholes.

    Create exemptions for the original builder and businesses to fix up / flip a house to the extent they are building or renovating the house (as long as they aren’t renting) so development isn’t halted.

    You’d see a flood of inventory from investors, and second, third, nth home owners.

  5. #15055
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    4,871
    Quote Originally Posted by skiballs View Post
    Immigrants, both legal and illegal.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Totally! All you white people are being replaced by wealthy non-whites. Hell, it would be smart for some of y’all to marry up and have some pretty, mixed race kids and eat some decent food at home…

  6. #15056
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Tejas
    Posts
    8,498
    With all this news of Blackrock lately, mark my words. WHEN the bubble bursts (and it will), investment firms like them who have big ties to Washington will be getting bailed out via YOUR tax dollars. While all the recent home buying individuals get skrewwwwwwd. Just like the '08 crash. All the big firms got bailouts. Homeowners got bent over and still had to foot the bill for those Wall Street scumbags.

    While I totally understood the ire and sentiment behind the Occupy Wall Street movement back then, I've always felt that the anger's direction was actually misplaced. The anger instead SHOULD have been directed toward Washington and all the blatant cronyism that encourages this system to begin with.

    Don't mean to thread drift too much. I could be wrong, but after we've all seen this sort of thing play out time and time again, I just can't see it going down any other way.

  7. #15057
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Nhampshire
    Posts
    6,496
    Quote Originally Posted by MontuckyFried View Post
    With all this news of Blackrock lately, mark my words. WHEN the bubble bursts (and it will), investment firms like them who have big ties to Washington will be getting bailed out via YOUR tax dollars. While all the recent home buying individuals get skrewwwwwwd. Just like the '08 crash. All the big firms got bailouts. Homeowners got bent over and still had to foot the bill for those Wall Street scumbags.

    While I totally understood the ire and sentiment behind the Occupy Wall Street movement back then, I've always felt that the anger's direction was actually misplaced. The anger instead SHOULD have been directed toward Washington and all the blatant cronyism that encourages this system to begin with.

    Don't mean to thread drift too much. I could be wrong, but after we've all seen this sort of thing play out time and time again, I just can't see it going down any other way.
    You have to get people to vote the cronyists out, but most of them are in safe seats and just have to wave the flag, threaten guns, or bleat about "values" and people forget the other actions. Many have figured out they don't have to be good, they just have to appear better than the alternative come election time.

  8. #15058
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    Posts
    12,711
    we bought a house in 08
    its more than doubled in value
    sure some tax ducketts got sent to make sure the 1%ers didnt become 10's
    but im thinkin yeah your wrong about being bent over on working towards owning our home
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

  9. #15059
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    9,300ft
    Posts
    19,067
    Blackrock is powered by out tax dollars and retirement contributions already. They are hip-to-hip with .gov

    They might only be worth 1/4 of a Trillion Dollars, but they control nearly 10 Trillion Dollars.

    The biggest employer in the US, the US Federal Government, every single federal worker retirement dollar is invested with Blackrock via TSP. That is 3/4 of a TRILLION right there. This is common knowledge to any Fed or former Fed who still has a TSP account.

    Blackrock is THE definition of Too Big To Fail. Progressive stalwart Elizabeth Warren even said so publicly just 3 months ago!!! Warren wants BlackRock designated too big to fail: https://www.cnbc.com/2021/03/24/yell...g-to-fail.html (Warren wanted Blackrock regulated because they were too big to fail... but that didn't happen)

    If you have the most powerful politicians in the country, including ones who are supposedly defenders of downtrodden, publicly saying that a giant investment company "is too big to fail," before any apparent failure is imminent, then that company might just start thinking they can act with even less moral guidance than usual in the pursuit of profit (like mass purchasing houses) while also undertaking greater risk of failing because Uncle Sugar will be there for the bailout! #ThisIsNotCapitalism
    Last edited by Summit; 06-14-2021 at 08:33 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

  10. #15060
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Sandy, Utah
    Posts
    14,391
    and good ole canadia getting in on the action...

    https://www.theglobeandmail.com/busi...ily-houses-in/
    TGR MODS EAT SKIDOG JIZZ

  11. #15061
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Tejas
    Posts
    8,498
    Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    we bought a house in 08
    its more than doubled in value
    sure some tax ducketts got sent to make sure the 1%ers didnt become 10's
    but im thinkin yeah your wrong about being bent over on working towards owning our home
    That was 13 years ago, dude. Of course the market's (obviously) recovered way past that point. Great job sticking it out, but many other people weren't able to. In the short term, yes, many people got screwed over back then while the Wall Street cronies walked away rich as shit without feeling any of the pain of the homeowners who lost everything.

  12. #15062
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    your vacation
    Posts
    2,975
    I'm a praying for a crash someone let me know when it's going to happen please
    sooner the better
    I hate working and we could use a good house cleaning in the mountains
    #van life bro

  13. #15063
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    In a van... down by the river
    Posts
    8,291
    Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    Blackrock is powered by out tax dollars and retirement contributions already. They are hip-to-hip with .gov

    They might only be worth 1/4 of a Trillion Dollars, but they control nearly 10 Trillion Dollars.

    The biggest employer in the US, the US Federal Government, every single federal worker retirement dollar is invested with Blackrock via TSP. That is 3/4 of a TRILLION right there. This is common knowledge to any Fed or former Fed who still has a TSP account.

    Blackrock is THE definition of Too Big To Fail. Progressive stalwart Elizabeth Warren even said so publicly just 3 months ago!!! Warren wants BlackRock designated too big to fail: https://www.cnbc.com/2021/03/24/yell...g-to-fail.html (Warren wanted Blackrock regulated because they were too big to fail... but that didn't happen)

    If you have the most powerful politicians in the country, including ones who are supposedly defenders of downtrodden, publicly saying that a giant investment company "is too big to fail," before any apparent failure is imminent, then that company might just start thinking they can act with even less moral guidance than usual in the pursuit of profit (like mass purchasing houses) while also undertaking greater risk of failing because Uncle Sugar will be there for the bailout! #ThisIsNotCapitalism
    Privatize the profit whilst socializing the risk. This is socialism. Fortunately, the millions of citizens adamantly opposed to socialism of any kind won't recognize/understand this...

  14. #15064
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    9,300ft
    Posts
    19,067
    Socialism is state control of the means of production, including state dominance of spending (usually via taxation). Blackrock is not Socialism or Capitalism. Privatize the profit whilst socializing the risk is Cronyism/Oligarchical Kleptocracy. It leads to exacerbation of wealth disparity until you have a revolution... it can be a revolution of regulation, or a revolution of molotov cocktails and barricades. Regulation is far more preferable.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

  15. #15065
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    In a van... down by the river
    Posts
    8,291
    Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    Socialism is state control of the means of production, including state dominance of spending (usually via taxation). Blackrock is not Socialism or Capitalism. Privatize the profit whilst socializing the risk is Cronyism/Oligarchical Kleptocracy.
    Agreed... but let's not get too tied up in the semantics.

  16. #15066
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    9,300ft
    Posts
    19,067
    Semantics matter. If the Oligarchy is allowed to push Cronyism and Kleptocracy to the point of violent overthrow, then we might actually end up with Socialism and a whole lotta people are gonna find out the hard way that Socialism is not the European Democratic Welfare Capitalism that the real Socialists have spent the last 50 years trying to conflate.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

  17. #15067
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    13,916
    Quote Originally Posted by fastfred View Post
    I'm a praying for a crash someone let me know when it's going to happen please
    sooner the better
    I hate working and we could use a good house cleaning in the mountains
    #van life bro
    Still cheap in Richford. You might want to set up camp there before it gets hot.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

  18. #15068
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    17,762
    Lumber futures down limit again. 35% lower than the recent high

  19. #15069
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    13,916
    We used to have a saying in the oil business.
    The best antidote for high prices is high prices.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

  20. #15070
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Missoula
    Posts
    232
    Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    Lumber futures down limit again. 35% lower than the recent high
    Now we need Biden to remove those Trump tariffs and drive them down even more.

  21. #15071
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,636
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    Remember this guy?



    Well, like Icarus, his hubris cost him dearly. Closed at 805k
    I mentioned this to a friend who lives in Bellingham and apparently he knows someone that lives near this house, which was a hot topic of neighborhood conversation after it went back on the market. Rumor is that the buyers had some kind of unexpected life change (messy divorce?) right after closing and were trying to get their money back+fees and closing costs. Guess that didn't work out too well.

  22. #15072
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    the ham
    Posts
    10,349
    Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    Still cheap in Richford.
    That upstate?

  23. #15073
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    13,916
    ^It's like if Upstate had an Upstate.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

  24. #15074
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    the ham
    Posts
    10,349
    Quote Originally Posted by dan_pdx View Post
    I mentioned this to a friend who lives in Bellingham and apparently he knows someone that lives near this house, which was a hot topic of neighborhood conversation after it went back on the market. Rumor is that the buyers had some kind of unexpected life change (messy divorce?) right after closing and were trying to get their money back+fees and closing costs. Guess that didn't work out too well.
    Yeah, I thought that might be the case, but for the purpose of this thread it was more entertaining to frame it as real estate to the moon lunacy.

  25. #15075
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,636
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    Yeah, I thought that might be the case, but for the purpose of this thread it was more entertaining to frame it as real estate to the moon lunacy.
    Hah, it's still real estate to the moon lunacy given the premium paid on the initial listing...and the fact they thought $895k was a possibility.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •