Page 588 of 729 FirstFirst ... 583 584 585 586 587 588 589 590 591 592 593 ... LastLast
Results 14,676 to 14,700 of 18216
  1. #14676
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Ogden
    Posts
    6,989
    Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    I'm really surprised people aren't striking in mountain towns.

    If you have housing you have 100% of the leverage.
    Firefighters and police unions don't allow strike. Blue flu is seriously discouraged.

  2. #14677
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Keep Tacoma Feared
    Posts
    2,466
    Do they really think some teacher is going to voluntarily become homeless and tent camp in the middle of winter in Idaho? Why not just buy a house in Twin Falls, medium home price $270k, 1.5 hours from Sun Valley, and with the money you save, get a nice 100k sprinter you can crash in after your epic after work mountain bike ride? Latinos have been driving into Ketchum for years cleaning peoples' shitters but the second some white guy with an advertising job has his rent go up, the sky is falling? Ketchum is only 30 minutes away from the Kansas of the west (aka Southern Idaho). It is flat as a pancake and has unlimited buildable land. So I am not sure why affordability is such a problem there.

  3. #14678
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Aspen
    Posts
    1,634
    Quote Originally Posted by altasnob View Post
    Do they really think some teacher is going to voluntarily become homeless and tent camp in the middle of winter in Idaho? Why not just buy a house in Twin Falls, medium home price $270k, 1.5 hours from Sun Valley, and with the money you save, get a nice 100k sprinter you can crash in after your epic after work mountain bike ride? Latinos have been driving into Ketchum for years cleaning peoples' shitters but the second some white guy with an advertising job has his rent go up, the sky is falling? Ketchum is only 30 minutes away from the Kansas of the west (aka Southern Idaho). It is flat as a pancake and has unlimited buildable land. So I am not sure why affordability is such a problem there.
    So the solution to the housing issues and growing inequality in resort towns is to just have everyone live 30/60/90min away because it's affordable?

    Simply because there's a cheaper option "elsewhere," working class should be blindly kicked out of their housing for STR, investment purchases and 4th homes?

  4. #14679
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    the ham
    Posts
    10,224
    Quote Originally Posted by 54-46 View Post
    What are they worth? For example, teachers.

    How many of your towns voted to tax themselves and have parcel taxes of $2000 a year to help pay for K-14 teacher salaries?

    How many of you would vote to pay $2000 in extra taxes to pay for teachers?
    Like Buster, I vote in favor of school funding, subsidizing the transit system, and the "affordable housing" levy, whatever the fuck that is.

    The school stuff alone is $5222.85

    So, yes.

  5. #14680
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    closer
    Posts
    3,757
    Quote Originally Posted by alpinevibes View Post
    So the solution to the housing issues and growing inequality in resort towns is to just have everyone live 30/60/90min away because it's affordable?

    Simply because there's a cheaper option "elsewhere," working class should be blindly kicked out of their housing for STR, investment purchases and 4th homes?
    I mean the working class will be replaced by robots in the not too distant future anyway so I guess it's nice to get the jobless poor out of the City before they become a sore to the eyes, no? It's much nicer to live in guarded conpounds like they do in South africa and latin America. Who needs a low gini coeffcient if you can have ( robot
    -?) guards with assault rifles?
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

  6. #14681
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    your vacation
    Posts
    2,917
    no one is striking wtf?
    it's the same shit different year
    I was getting 8.50 an hr and rent was on average 350 a room when I got here today you make 15-20 an hr to stand there and hold your dick and be an asshole to tourists and rooms cost about 1500.00 a month what has changed?
    everyone thinks that a mtn town should be easy to live in and affordable it was every tom dick and harry would be here

    the idea that people are pointing the finger at short term rentals as the boogy man is bullshit it's just an easy target to blame

    no mortgage = sprinter

  7. #14682
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Before
    Posts
    24,214
    Quote Originally Posted by fastfred View Post
    n

    the idea that people are pointing the finger at short term rentals as the boogy man is bullshit it's just an easy target to blame
    dead wrong, fred.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

  8. #14683
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    the ham
    Posts
    10,224
    How many sprinters are financed?

  9. #14684
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Keep Tacoma Feared
    Posts
    2,466
    Quote Originally Posted by alpinevibes View Post
    So the solution to the housing issues and growing inequality in resort towns is to just have everyone live 30/60/90min away because it's affordable?

    Simply because there's a cheaper option "elsewhere," working class should be blindly kicked out of their housing for STR, investment purchases and 4th homes?
    Do people have a right to live cheaply in places like Sun Valley, Jackson, Telluride, ect? In big metro areas, people drive until they qualify and regularly have 1.5 hour commutes. I don't see why people in exclusive ski towns think they should be immune to this. If people in Sun Valley want to build dense affordable housing in their town center that's fine. But if they prefer to make all the middle class and service workers drive in, that's their choice too. These are not real towns. They are gated communities for the weathy. I am much more concerned with providing affordable housing in real cities than fake towns like Sun Valley and Aspen.

    And why do anything to encourage growth in mountain towns in tight valleys like Ketchum, Jackson, and Aspen? This is the last place we want more people to try to cram into.

  10. #14685
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    closer
    Posts
    3,757
    Just because I like gini so much I let this map out of his bottle.

    I think despite Irak and kasachstan it makes a compelling case on where to live.
    Name:  GINI_index_World_Bank_up_to_2018.svg.jpeg
Views: 274
Size:  55.3 KB
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

  11. #14686
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    your vacation
    Posts
    2,917
    Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    dead wrong, fred.
    so 25 years ago a second home/condo sat vacant, today it's a short term, whats the difference between sitting vacant and being a short term?

    slut island or whore island as it was once known is slated to be demolished this week and turned into a second home I guess that's a loss of long term rental housing

  12. #14687
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    3,525
    Quote Originally Posted by fastfred View Post
    no one is striking wtf?
    it's the same shit different year
    I was getting 8.50 an hr and rent was on average 350 a room when I got here today you make 15-20 an hr to stand there and hold your dick and be an asshole to tourists and rooms cost about 1500.00 a month what has changed?
    everyone thinks that a mtn town should be easy to live in and affordable it was every tom dick and harry would be here

    the idea that people are pointing the finger at short term rentals as the boogy man is bullshit it's just an easy target to blame

    no mortgage = sprinter
    Lemme guess, you think uber reduces traffic too?

  13. #14688
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Big in Japan
    Posts
    48,448
    Quote Originally Posted by alpinevibes View Post
    So the solution to the housing issues and growing inequality in resort towns is to just have everyone live 30/60/90min away because it's affordable?

    And don't forget the Sprinter.

    The world is perfect. Appreciate the details.

  14. #14689
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Dystopia
    Posts
    14,315
    Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    dead wrong, fred.
    Agreed.

    STR is the new STD

    It fucks the working man or woman.

    A few months of prime season rental. Then sits vacant.

    Yeah the fourth home also sits vacant. But they pay for that.
    STR allows more people to leave homes vacant. It’s fucked.
    We have a 13% tax on STR. Hasn’t slowed the market.
    I’m hoping they use the revenue to build worker housing.

  15. #14690
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    your vacation
    Posts
    2,917
    Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    Lemme guess, you think uber reduces traffic too?
    I think modern environmentalism is complete bullshit
    I think sprinters and pornhub make peopel happy

  16. #14691
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    your vacation
    Posts
    2,917
    where I live there is all this up in arms bullshit about short term rentals

    I'm a politician and I like to say "affordable housing" as much as I can
    All I think about is the "smug" south park episode about how fake people are
    If these poticians and burricrates actually wanted to do something they would slap a yearly $10,000.00 lic fee per short term rental
    but they are pussies and would never do that
    cause you have people screaming about their property rights and capitalism

    a 10,000 yearly fee would change things quickly but we don't like real solutions and rather like to pussy foot around
    and for every fuck tard realtor I know who talks about how if we ban short terms property values and all this other bullshit would cause total collapse of the re market
    so smug go blow yourself relator

  17. #14692
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Before
    Posts
    24,214
    Quote Originally Posted by fastfred View Post
    so 25 years ago a second home/condo sat vacant, today it's a short term, whats the difference between sitting vacant and being a short term?
    The time elapsed?
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

  18. #14693
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Missoula
    Posts
    232
    Get rid of height restrictions, parking requirements, occupancy maximums and SFH zoning first. Then maybe I'll listen to what you have to say about STR.

  19. #14694
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    13,763
    Y'all picked the wrong sport if you're worried about money.

    That said. Forget Ketchum or the Front Range. Why not settle in Londonderry, VT? World class skiing on your doorstep and affordable housing.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

  20. #14695
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Big in Japan
    Posts
    48,448
    Quote Originally Posted by fastfred View Post
    I think modern environmentalism is complete bullshit
    I think sprinters and pornhub make peopel happy
    Don't forget alcohol and drugs!

    The world is perfect. Appreciate the details.

  21. #14696
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Big in Japan
    Posts
    48,448
    Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    Y'all picked the wrong sport if you're worried about money.

    That said. Forget Ketchum or the Front Range. Why not settle in Londonderry, VT? World class skiing on your doorstep and affordable housing.
    He says at the height of black fly season.

    The world is perfect. Appreciate the details.

  22. #14697
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    13,763
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    He says at the height of black fly season.
    On a windy day you hardly feel them.

    You're always so negative Benny.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

  23. #14698
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Big in Japan
    Posts
    48,448
    I've quit drinking for a while. The world looks even bleaker.

    The world is perfect. Appreciate the details.

  24. #14699
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    At the beach
    Posts
    15,972
    Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    Agreed.

    STR is the new STD

    It fucks the working man or woman.

    A few months of prime season rental. Then sits vacant.

    Yeah the fourth home also sits vacant. But they pay for that.
    STR allows more people to leave homes vacant. Itís fucked.
    We have a 13% tax on STR. Hasnít slowed the market.
    Iím hoping they use the revenue to build worker housing.
    That matches up with what I have seen. I am certain there would be more long term rentals if residential zoned areas ban STR's.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

  25. #14700
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    HR
    Posts
    2,571
    Quote Originally Posted by fastfred View Post
    the idea that people are pointing the finger at short term rentals as the boogy man is bullshit it's just an easy target to blame
    Like buster said, dead wrong. Thatís like saying gravity is bs. Itís econ 101.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •