Page 418 of 1084 FirstFirst ... 413 414 415 416 417 418 419 420 421 422 423 ... LastLast
Results 10,426 to 10,450 of 27076
    Google closed on a lease this month for an additional 42,000 square feet of office space in downtown San Francisco's Two Rincon Center, expanding its total real estate in the Financial District building to roughly 200,000 square feet.

must be where they gonna put all those new anti trust lawyers they gotta hire....

Justice Dept. files landmark antitrust case against Google

https://apnews.com/article/google-ju...55ec5d4db06044

More likely Google is going to expand other businesses. Like Apple a couple years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Toadman View Post
    I guess they like their immediate family members, and they prefer a two season state as opposed to dealing with winter in Central Oregon. There are actually quite a few people that live in Deschutes County that aren't into the winter sports thing...
    Nice places within a reasonable day round trip drive to see family:

Tucson
    Flagstaff
    Prescott/PV
    Sedona

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon3 View Post
    Nice places within a reasonable day round trip drive to see family:

Tucson
    Flagstaff
    Prescott/PV
    Sedona
    I believe they will be some where near Prescott.

Meanwhile, out of curiosity I was surfing Zillow and stumbled on this charming little place in Scottsdale. Views aren't too shabby either.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/4...5090737_zpid/?
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Quote Originally Posted by Toadman View Post
    I believe they will be some where near Prescott.

Meanwhile, out of curiosity I was surfing Zillow and stumbled on this charming little place in Scottsdale. Views aren't too shabby either.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/4...5090737_zpid/?
    That might be above even a dentist's pay grade. Orthodontia FTW.

Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    More likely Google is going to expand other businesses. Like Apple a couple years ago.
    So if you owned Google stock would you hold or sell?

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    Yes

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Keystone is fucking lame. But, deadly.

Real Estate Crash thread

Quote Originally Posted by Mazderati View Post
    But, it seems like commercial supply of all types - especially office - would have to start increasing at some point next year even if residential doesn't.
    Here around Boston retail is doing very poorly but I need to figure out the right word to refer to the ‘’market’’ for office space, it’s more like office availability. Small unit pricing is down 20-30+% but they’re slowly being rented here and there. The prices for larger spaces are in free fall, the larger organizations, fee and far between that need the space are kicking back and watching the show.

You wonder how the demise of WeWork at the same time is messing with this market. I read that, at the end, they owned or leased a ton of commercial space in NYC and the northeast.

https://www.curbed.com/2020/10/wewor...k-excerpt.html

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    You wonder how the demise of WeWork at the same time is messing with this market. I read that, at the end, they owned or leased a ton of commercial space in NYC and the northeast.
    Honestly it's COVID forcing WFH into WFH making execs realize the butt is in the seat regardless of office or home, then cost optimization for the upcoming recession. As other articles have pointed out, all in expense for an employee from real-estate/maintenance/equipment can be expensive, so tossing them $1500 for home office stuff and selling your space is a great deal for most corps. Couple that with being able to depress pay by NOT hiring using NYC/SF payscales and it's a potential huge amount of fixed cost savings with zero downside for a year+

Quote Originally Posted by schuss View Post
    Honestly it's COVID forcing WFH into WFH making execs realize the butt is in the seat regardless of office or home, then cost optimization for the upcoming recession. +
    recession when? how exactly is that going to happen? I mean if you live in some burnt out shit hole upstate ny ohio town that hasn't seen good days since the factory moved to mexico or china then yeah I see a recession but the rest of the country, probably not, educate me please

Quote Originally Posted by fastfred View Post
    recession when? how exactly is that going to happen? I mean if you live in some burnt out shit hole upstate ny ohio town that hasn't seen good days since the factory moved to mexico or china then yeah I see a recession but the rest of the country, probably not, educate me please
    https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/GDP

See the GDP dropping off a cliff there? The nearly wholesale dissolution of food services and tourism industries will have an impact. People not driving as much, lack of commercial activity around workplaces etc.
    We'll get through it, but in the short term, shit is going to hit the fan for a bit. Go search for recent layoffs. Most I've seen are 5-10% of workforce.
    Some excerpts:
    "In the meantime, the pace of layoffs shows little sign of flagging. Disney said last week that it would cut 28,000 jobs. And American Airlines and United Airlines combined furloughed 32,000 employees last week. Airlines had been barred from cutting jobs as long as they were receiving federal aid, which expired this month. The American Hotel & Lodging Association has said that nearly three-quarters of hotels say they’ll have to lay off more workers without further financial aid."
    https://apnews.com/article/virus-out...ef8c14ac74ace4
    Choice quote: "Half of all small businesses expect to need more aid from the government over the next 12 months to survive, according to a survey by the right-leaning National Federation of Independent Business. Sales for about one-fifth of small companies are still down 50% or more from pre-pandemic levels, the NFIB said."
    https://apnews.com/article/virus-out...0d15f0e9debd80

Another: "The nation now has 7% fewer jobs than in February. Yet the damage is far deeper in some sectors. The performing arts and spectator sports category, which includes Valiente’s industry, has lost 47% of its jobs. It hasn’t added any net jobs since the coronavirus struck.

Hotels are down 35%, restaurants and bars 19%, transportation 18%. Advertising, one of the first expenses that companies cut in a downturn, is down 9%.

Higher education has lost 9% of its jobs. Many classes have been delayed or moved online, reducing the need for janitors, cafeteria workers and other administrators. Normally during recessions, the education sector adds jobs to accommodate people returning to school to seek marketable skills or education. Not this time."

Hotels, Disney, restaurants, those are all low paying gigs and most are part time.

I think the real event is the white collars working from home and the inevitable pay cuts they are going to get if it sticks. Silicon Valley is already trying to flex this. Medium term, if WFH really does stay, why does a company need to pay an American vs some guy in Indonesia? Think about it.
    Live Free or Die

Yep....I was wondering how long it was gonna take for people to realize that.

You've been in Breck way too long.

Quote Originally Posted by Self Jupiter View Post
    Here around Boston retail is doing very poorly but I need to figure out the right word to refer to the ‘’market’’ for office space, it’s more like office availability. Small unit pricing is down 20-30+% but they’re slowly being rented here and there. The prices for larger spaces are in free fall, the larger organizations, fee and far between that need the space are kicking back and watching the show.
    The number of vacant storefronts in Back Bay and Cambridge stood out like a sore thumb when I was up there last year around this time. For years landlords have been content with letting property sit to try and keep rents inflated and it's taking a toll. Can only guess the number of empty properties is worse now. Be interesting to see how things play out the next few months. Do you primarily work Boston proper or outlying areas?

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    I thought about this without regard to buy or sell recommendation. I suspect any regulation will ultimately make Google stronger because they can comply with regulation which also will constrain competition. Same with FB.

my head is in the sand seriously
    thats why I ask
    I can't fend people off, no doesn't seem to work, call me in four months and I'll talk to you doesn't work, I swear I tell them something and they don't hear what I say which is NO
    property has gone stupid in my small mtn town
    so when someone says the end is coming I just don't see it, I belive it I do, but I don't see it
    I did read this morning that armark in denver finally axed almost 1000 jobs related to coors field and other venues all my actor/theatre friends are so fucked I keep inviting them to come live with me
    the gov't money is gone and the reality is setting in for some people I guess
    just need to know when it will catch up to ski town usa

Dear Blog-
    I have two large jobs going right now, one house is valued at well over 5mil the views are stunning and the ski access is out the door, the owner is a ceo of a very large and well known company. We have spent over one month discussing what fireplace to install. The fireplace unit they decided on is 25k. The price doesn't include stone work or anything else related to the fireplace. Another home we have totally shredded is only in the 3.5mil range. The owners have never worked a day in their life. Although he attends some board meetings a couple times a year. That's my reality.

And, if '08 and the present stock market is any indication, Breck will sail through this just fine. If the chairs spin.

my head is in the sand seriously
    thats why I ask
    I can't fend people off, no doesn't seem to work, call me in four months and I'll talk to you doesn't work, I swear I tell them something and they don't hear what I say which is NO
    property has gone stupid in my small mtn town
    so when someone says the end is coming I just don't see it, I belive it I do, but I don't see it
    I did read this morning that armark in denver finally axed almost 1000 jobs related to coors field and other venues all my actor/theatre friends are so fucked I keep inviting them to come live with me
    the gov't money is gone and the reality is setting in for some people I guess
    just need to know when it will catch up to ski town usa

Dear Blog-
    I have two large jobs going right now, one house is valued at well over 5mil the views are stunning and the ski access is out the door, the owner is a ceo of a very large and well known company. We have spent over one month discussing what fireplace to install. The fireplace unit they decided on is 25k. The price doesn't include stone work or anything else related to the fireplace. Another home we have totally shredded is only in the 3.5mil range. The owners have never worked a day in their life. Although he attends some board meetings a couple times a year. That's my reality.
    New builds and large construction jobs skew towards wealth - which is doing fine despite downturns. Additionally, construction lags economic activity due to switching costs, permitting etc.
    You'll be fine.

Fred, this one is easy. They see their stock portfolios go up, they spend.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

all my actor/theatre friends are so fucked I keep inviting them to come live with me.
    The real tragedy is this gutting of art and culture to a wasteland of Netflix “originals”.

Quote Originally Posted by Mazderati View Post
    The number of vacant storefronts in Back Bay and Cambridge stood out like a sore thumb when I was up there last year around this time. For years landlords have been content with letting property sit to try and keep rents inflated and it's taking a toll. Can only guess the number of empty properties is worse now. Be interesting to see how things play out the next few months. Do you primarily work Boston proper or outlying areas?
    Yep, and a lot of the cool businesses were on their way out already. Most of my work is in urban Boston and up in the Cape Ann / North Shore area where I grew up.

in late 07 - early 08 the shit was hitting the fan around the country and we were doing just fine but when oct 08 hit the writing was on the wall and it slid slowly into the abyss
    some local clowns started building spec's with their cash in early 2010 and we thought they were crazy they were just way ahead of the curve

one project I am on now was going to start in late march, they freaked just like everyone else and pulled the plug, then two months later it was when can we get started?