Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: X-MEN Part Tre

X-MEN Part Tre

sooo bored atm waiting to go see this at 12:01

been looking for the oldschool X-Men cartoons on DVD (circa early 90's)

anyone else wanna see this shit?

There was a preview for it I saw at the theatres where everyone clapped and cheered at the end, like it was more impressive than the actual movie we were going to see... I doubt there's few who wouldn't go see it...

I'm trying to make plans for midnight. If not, then tomorrow.
    eating and sleeping is serious business

Ski Monkey and I are probably going to see it tomorrow. Rented #2 the other day to come back up to speed and so am now excited to see it. Though hearing bad reviews, we're still looking forward to it. Wanna see Wolverine go ballistic!
    This touchy-feely Kumbaya shit has got to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Humble

anyone else wanna see this shit?

Hell yeah!

Going tomorrow night with a friend who is an X-Men comic book fanatic.

Me, I'm more excited for the "Motherfuckin' Snakes on a Plane" trailer which will be on before the movie.

Snakes on a Plane. What a concept. And what a gripping name! How does SLJ manage to do so many totally awesome movies and also so many shitty movies?

it was the first movie that ever felt like a drug...

it took 20 minutes for my heart to stop racing after the credits

i give it two CAW's way sick

Quote Originally Posted by yentna
    Snakes on a Plane. What a concept. And what a gripping name! How does SLJ manage to do so many totally awesome movies and also so many shitty movies?
    I'll stop hi-jacking the thread after this. SLJ signed on to do the movie immediately after reading the title, mostly just for kicks. He was on the Ellen DeGeneres show and they watched a few clips which he laughed through.

The only part about the movie which bothers me is that it WAS a serious concept until internet geeks got ahold of it and made New Line realize how horrifically awful movies have become. Sadly though, despite this wonderful opportunity to turn things around I'm sure that hollywood will continue their plummet (how much further you can go from "Snakes on a Plane" I don't know).

I'm really torn between giving my money to New Line because of the movie's cult status and not seeing it because New Line actually stands to MAKE money off of the garbage. That said, I can't WAIT to watch SLJ say "There's MUTHAFUCKIN' snakes in this MUTHAFUCKIN' plane!"

Building a fighting force of extra-ordinary magnitude
    read a review of X-Men...sounded like the movie will be "okay"...they really need to get into the age of Apocolypse, but prolly won't. It did say something about sticking around through the credits, not sure why though. I did hear rumors of a solo Wolverine movie and possibly...someone..else...some other X-Men character but I can't remember who. no, I do remember, it was like a prequel involving professor X and Magneto as young mutants. so maybe there is like a preview for one movies of those or something.
    thats new hampshire as fuck

We ain't eager to be legal, so please leave me with the keys to your Jeep Eagle.

saw it. It was... ok. The visuals were fantastic and I'm verrrrry impressed with how well the pulled off the Phoenix's powers, but really there was hardly a plot to speak of. I'm talking rediculously thin plotlines.

Oh, and stick around until after the credits roll, you'll probably figure it out from the fact that 80% of the theatre (the nerds) stay seated as well. But you don't want to miss it.

Meh, it was just okay. I missed the character development from the previous two, (and that's not just influence from reading reviews saying that), and it seemed so rushed. Cool effects and all, yes, and entertaining, but shallow is the right word.

And 80% of the theatre LEFT and missed the post-credit teaser....their loss.

what happened after the credits, I didn't stick around

So, basically, fuck Brett Ratner? And fuck Brian Singer for ditching X3 to go work Thooperman Returns?

SPOILER WARNING.

Quote Originally Posted by whatcomridaz
    what happened after the credits, I didn't stick around

Remember when Magneto didn't *actually* lose his powers? yeah, same thing with Xavier... So basically the two most shocking parts of the movie were rendered completely pointless in the final 2 minutes of screenplay.

Quote Originally Posted by Jumper Bones
    So, basically, fuck Brett Ratner? And fuck Brian Singer for ditching X3 to go work Thooperman Returns?
    I was just gonna post something to that effect.

While this flick thematically continued the subtext of the previous two, it just felt really heavy-handed and dumb to me. Plot felt rushed, relationships felt forced. But, the effects were impressive and the action scenes were well done.

So while I thought the first two installments were well-rounded films, this one is just a good popcorn movie, I think.

edit to add: Rattner threw in some odd bits of pop culture dialogue which sounded misplaced and retarded. Though the "I'm the juggernaut, bitch!" line was legit.
    Last edited by stump832; 05-27-2006 at 11:23 PM.

SPOILER WARNING - NEEEERRRDDD WARNING

Movie was alright. Phoenix was a bit dumb downed - wasn't as powerful as in the comics, and she stood around a lot for most of the movie. Too many major/minor characters from the comics squeezed into small meaningless roles. Basically, it wasn't that memorable - when something happens to a bit-part character, you don't really care. It's like the director tried to cram in way too much into the movie, tried to make something significant out of their small roles in the movie, and failed. He should have instead focused on the story of the Phoenix and the "cure", instead of all that nonsense with morlocks (psylocke was in the movie for ... nothing), the nonsense with angel, and all the other inconsequential crap thrown in.

Quote Originally Posted by belgian
    SPOILER WARNING.

Remember when Magneto didn't *actually* lose his powers? yeah, same thing with Xavier... So basically the two most shocking parts of the movie were rendered completely pointless in the final 2 minutes of screenplay.

Actually, xavier transferred his consciousness into that brain-dead patient that we saw on the monitor earlier in the movie. (Moira Mactaggert's lab - the doctor woman with the scottish accent). And magneto DID lose his powers, he couldn't even move the chess pieces.

Wow, I need to ski.
    Last edited by Dug; 05-27-2006 at 11:31 PM.
    eating and sleeping is serious business

Quote Originally Posted by Dug
    Actually, xavier transferred his consciousness into that brain-dead patient that we saw on the monitor earlier in the movie. (Moira Mactaggert's lab - the doctor woman with the scottish accent).
    This I knew, I just didn't bother typing that out as one way or another, he is alive.

Quote Originally Posted by Dug
    And magneto DID lose his powers, he couldn't even move the chess pieces.
    wrong, if you watched he DID in fact make a piece move. There was even a dramatically loud note a la star wars when he did.

in the old shit wasnt he using the phoenix crystal and she had to fly it into the sun to destroy it?

yea comic book movies cant really follow closley (too hard, too long) but if you just like sick action, what a badass flick
    "I think people resist freedom because they're afraid of the unknown. But it's ironic....That unknown was once very well known. It's where our souls belong....The only solution is to confront them--confront yourself--with the greatest fear imaginable. Expose yourself to your deepest fear. After that, fear has no power, and fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free." -Jim Morrison

nobody noticed. 'don't you know who i am? i'm the juggernaut bitch!'
    god created man. winchester and baseball bats made them equal - evel kenievel

Thanks for the spoilers -- fuckers at the theater didn´t even run the credits for more than 10 seconds!

Good action scenes, but Dug is 100% right when he says they tried to introduce too many characters too fast. Hopefully the Wolverine movie will be a bit more character-based and a bit darker...

PS: anybody else really bummed out at the fact that Famke Janssen is starting to look a bit long in the tooth?
    Last edited by shamrockpow; 05-28-2006 at 08:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeedashbo
    nobody noticed. 'don't you know who i am? i'm the juggernaut bitch!'
    best part of the movie, as far as im concerned.

i thought it was pretty lame. compared to the first two, at least. the new director really fucked the pooch on this one. i mean, i didnt even read the x-men books, but i still felt cheated with the complete blunder they made out of the phoenix saga.

and what a slap in the face to have a trailer of superman showing before the x-men flick. double slap in the face actually...

Quote Originally Posted by stump832
    I was just gonna post something to that effect.

While this flick thematically continued the subtext of the previous two, it just felt really heavy-handed and dumb to me. Plot felt rushed, relationships felt forced. But, the effects were impressive and the action scenes were well done.

So while I thought the first two installments were well-rounded films, this one is just a good popcorn movie, I think.

edit to add: Rattner threw in some odd bits of pop culture dialogue which sounded misplaced and retarded. Though the "I'm the juggernaut, bitch!" line was legit.
    My thoughts exactly. First... fifteen minutes (?) had some good twists. Does anyone have a link to the Juggernaut voice over thing?
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."

Building a fighting force of extra-ordinary magnitude
    I agree, it was "meh". cool to see an Xmen movie but they coulda done it way better. very true about too many small characters being forced in. It was kind of exciting to watch Logan taking dudes out to infiltrate the Brotherhood camp. I definitely thought it was cool when Phoenix's power was stripping away Logan's flesh and you could see his skeleton but it just kept growing back due to his healing power.

all in all, maybe a good rental, not worth seeing at the theater though.

Magneto bending the Golden Gate bridge was badass.
    thats new hampshire as fuck

We ain't eager to be legal, so please leave me with the keys to your Jeep Eagle.

totally agree with the meh rating as well. It definitly was not the caliber of movie that the first 2 were.
    fighting gravity on a daily basis

WhiteRoom Skis
    Handcrafted in Northern Vermont
    www.whiteroomcustomskis.com

Wow, I knew I should have seen this instead of Davinci code!

Sprite
    "I call it reveling in natures finest element. Water in its pristine form. Straight from the heavens. We bathe in it, rejoicing in the fullest." --BZ