Any atomic reps out there, or anyone who could help with warranty issues?

Worth a try, any help is much appreciated.
    Drive slow, homie.

Bump.

Okay, I need some advice here as to whether or not to ship these things back to atomic or not. They are the moonlight Big Daddys (no plate). It would be annoying to pay shipping and have them send me the same skis right back.

1 ski is totally destoyed. Topsheet no longer connected, can pretty much stick a pen through the ski under the whole boot. This was impact damage, my fault, and I probably won't get any love. The other ski is fully skiable and fine, with a few small cracked edges. Probably caused by impact as well but who knows for sure. Open core shots all over. Would I need to fix the coreshots to send em back? When they see what these things look like they may just laugh at me, would it be better to throw down some ptex and make em look okay?

Or option 2, just accept that these things get skied hard for a ton of days, and shit breaks. What would guys do?

Thanks in advance.
    Drive slow, homie.

I wonder if I can get a warranty on my car if I crash it into a telephone pole? That's gotta be covered under " defects in materials and workmanship", right?

Sounds like your skis are hosed. I'm guessing that Atomic will laugh at you, but what do I know?
    Putting the "core" in corporate, one turn at a time.

Metalmücil 2010 - 2013 "Go Home" album is now a free download

The Bonin Petrels

Quote Originally Posted by hop
    I wonder if I can get a warranty on my car if I crash it into a telephone pole? That's gotta be covered under " defects in materials and workmanship", right?

Sounds like your skis are hosed. I'm guessing that Atomic will laugh at you, but what do I know?
    Yeah, my main question was about the cracked edges since that seems to be a problem with atomics. But yeah, overall I guess im out of luck. Oh well.
    Drive slow, homie.

Quote Originally Posted by Z
    Yeah, my main question was about the cracked edges since that seems to be a problem with atomics. But yeah, overall I guess im out of luck. Oh well.
    hell, send them off with a 'dear atomic, how i love your skis' note and see what happens.
    No, the real point is, I don't give a damn
    - Carl

Quote Originally Posted by Z
    Dear Atomic,
    I love your skis, however I'm having a problem with the edges staying intact. As you can see, one of my skis (the one that looks like the surface of the moon, not the one that I totally destroyed on impact with a rock) has a couple cracks in the edges.
    I would love it if you would warranty these for me, since the edges are obviously defective. Nevermind the condition of the rest of the ski in question or the other half of the pair.
    Thanks so much!
    -Z

Hell, can't hurt!
    Putting the "core" in corporate, one turn at a time.

Metalmücil 2010 - 2013 "Go Home" album is now a free download

The Bonin Petrels

"These skis were only ridden by a little old lady who skinned to work on Sunday and rode 20 degree powder on the way home..."

Seriously, while I think that companies need to put out good product, when that product sees some seriously hard (ab)use, we need to own up and accept the cost. Only you know for sure if you put these skis through "normal" use or not.

Then again, you never know what the company will choose to do. Maybe you should have a shop take a look? Personally, when I see a ski that has a problem (like a delam or cracked edges) along with numerous core shots, I get the impression that it was ridden hard & put away wet. That is not to say a particular board is unworthy of warranty repair -- it's just that I am much more likely to expect the ski was abused by the owner if they did not actually take care of the ski.

In other words, I look at the edges and bases (are they flat? was damage repaired carefully? are the edges at a consistent angle? are the bases dry?) and use their condition as evidence of how the owner skied them.

Caveat: This is just my personal opinion -- it's not the perspective of someone in a warranty department or a shop.

Would you be more likely to buy a 10-year old car that had been washed and waxed vs. the same car that had rust holes?

You might increase your ods by repairing the obvious, non-warranty damage...but it's a gamble.

I have never seen a pair of modernish atomics without at least 1 crack in the edge. They must use substandard metal. Most of them don't have impact marks and crack just from flexing, but also don't pull away and the owner only finds out when they go to tune or get someone like me to tune them. Given the frequency of cracked edges surely someone on this board has tried to warranty them???

Also, put some time into repairing the bases and topsheet as well as you can if you do decide to return them. I've seen and been involved with fixing some absolute basket cases get repaired and pass warranty.

i would second the idea that atomic will just laugh and send your skis back but i do know a rep in northern california. its always a bitch to get a hold of him but if you want his number let me know and ill PM you with his contact info.
    Mom! The meatloaf! FUCK!.

I can't see how you could get more than one ski out of this deal, what's the point?

Quote Originally Posted by addict View Post
    I have never seen a pair of modernish atomics without at least 1 crack in the edge. They must use substandard metal. Most of them don't have impact marks and crack just from flexing, but also don't pull away and the owner only finds out when they go to tune or get someone like me to tune them. Given the frequency of cracked edges surely someone on this board has tried to warranty them???.
    I just did, and was denied. Skis are 183cm Black Diamond Havoc (made at the Atomic factory). Two cracked edges (one on on each ski), in the vicinity of the binding (Freerides). Skis have about one season on them.

They are stress cracks, not caused by rock hits or any other impact.

BDEL refuses to replace them under warranty...claiming the cracks will not affect performance.

-Astro

cracked edges every time

i've had 4 pairs of 10exs and 1 pair of tm22s. all but one pair developed cracked edges. all stress related cracks nowhere near any base shots. it's really a no win situation though. here's what happens:

edges are cracked, but ski is otherwise fine. atomic tells you there is nothing they can do, the ski is fine and that is correct. so you keep skiing it.

then eventually the crack in the edge gets incrementally larger until at some point you actually do hit it with a rock (but not too hard) and the whole thing starts to pull out. you push it in and epoxy it, but it does nothing. and pretty soon the ski is trash. and you can't prove that the crack was there before the impact and the edge started to pull out. and there's nothing you can do. and atomic does not and should not warranty it because it's a thrashed ski.

it's definitely a defect in the edge material -- but a defect that only becomes a real problem when you really push the ski or ski it a lot. i'm 1 for 2 on warranties in this situation. it really matters what mood the dude is in the day he looks at your sticks. plus, how nice the letter was. the pair i got warrantied was thrashed. the other pair was in okay shape. who knows how the experts diagnose and differentiate user error v. defect. i had another pair that was tempting me to warranty until i ripped the bindings out and definitively destroyed them.

too bad. cause i love the way atomics ski. hell, i still have 2 pairs.

hope this is helpful for someone. at the very least, i think it's good therapy for me. that is all.

Call Atomic, ask for warrenty, explain the situation fully (don't be a dick about it, take responsability) ask if they have any single skis that they could match up with your good one. I have had good luck with this.
    Click. Point. Chute.