Question "Brick Lane" by Monica Ali...Please help.

Anyone read this? If you did, and could help me out with a few questions I would be incredibly grateful.
    Drive slow, homie.

Quote Originally Posted by Interweb
    Nazneen, a young bride married at sixteen to a 40-year-old man, is wrenched from the only life she has ever known in the countryside of Bangladesh and conveyed to England, where her new husband, Chanu, has a job. Taught from the day of her birth that "fighting against one's Fate can weaken the blood," or even be fatal, she accepts the miserably lonely existence fate has bestowed on her in a London council flat. Though there are others from Bangladesh living there, Chanu believes the other immigrants to be uneducated, illiterate, and uncultured, and he discourages any reaching out Nazneen might do to these people who are "below" them.
    You poor bastard.
    No, the real point is, I don't give a damn
    - Carl

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by good4nothing
    You poor bastard.
    Tell me about it. Sometimes I pity myself. Then I crack another beer.
    Drive slow, homie.

Quote Originally Posted by Z
    Tell me about it. Sometimes I pity myself. Then I crack another beer.
    I think you'll need all the beer you can get to enjoy that particular tome.

P.S. You're not studying again

EDIT: when are you supposed to have this thing read by?
    - Carl

I think you'll need all the beer you can get to enjoy that particular tome.

P.S. You're not studying again

EDIT: when are you supposed to have this thing read by?
    I actually just buckled down and busted out an essay for my history final just now. So that rewards me with a pbr and some mindless TGR.

I need to have this read by next wednesday, but if it doesn't happen, I just lose a percentage of my grade. Due to the fact I've skied all winter and done zero work, I've been getting my fucking ass handed to me and didn't get a chance to read it. So basically I can't read it (pretty long) AND study for 3 more finals and a term paper, just not gonna happen. So im hoping someone here may have read it, and along with reviews on the web I can throw some bullshit together to get a C.

Okay, that was a rant, but you asked for it.
    Drive slow, homie.

I actually just buckled down and busted out an essay for my history final just now. So that rewards me with a pbr and some mindless TGR.

I need to have this read by next wednesday, but if it doesn't happen, I just lose a percentage of my grade. Due to the fact I've skied all winter and done zero work, I've been getting my fucking ass handed to me and didn't get a chance to read it. So basically I can't read it (pretty long) AND study for 3 more finals and a term paper, just not gonna happen. So im hoping someone here may have read it, and along with reviews on the web I can throw some bullshit together to get a C.

Okay, that was a rant, but you asked for it.
    I work nights and dont do anything, I'll pick up a copy tomorrow.

what is the essay topic/prompt?

EDIT: i read rabidly and very, very quickly. this would be an easy way for me to kill an evening
    - Carl

EDIT: i read rabidly and very, very quickly. this would be an easy way for me to kill an evening
    No fucking way.

I don't really feel right having this happen, but if you really are bored and have any desire to read a book, I just give you my copy tommorow. There is no way I can read it. There are questions to choose from, 2-3 page paper i'll have to write. I'll print it out.

Okay, so after re-reading I can't believe I just wrote that and this is possible. I don't know what to say....Besides holy fucking shit good karma and a shitton of beer is coming your way. We'll talk tomorrow.
    Drive slow, homie.

Wow, maggots helping other maggots do homework / papers.... Wow!
    -
    14erskiers.com

"Don't be afraid of the spaces between your dreams and reality. If you can dream it, you can make it so." - Belva Davis

"There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle"--Albert Einstein

No fucking way.

I don't really feel right having this happen, but if you really are bored and have any desire to read a book, I just give you my copy tommorow. There is no way I can read it. There are questions to choose from, 2-3 page paper i'll have to write. I'll print it out.

Okay, so after re-reading I can't believe I just wrote that and this is possible. I don't know what to say....Besides holy fucking shit good karma and a shitton of beer is coming your way. We'll talk tomorrow.
    BRING THE FUCKER

before you start getting all mushy on me, let me tell you about my night so far so you can put this in perspective.

6:45 - Badge in, game on
    6:45-7:40 - Fuck around on computer, TGR, EBay etc.
    7:40-8:00 - Starbucks, time for nightly caffeine dose.
    8:00 - Leave Starbucks, nothing at work is down & i dont feel like going back: so next stop=Target
    8:00-8:30 - Target. Fuck around looking at books, CD's, board games to paly at work, video games, whatever. Also, replace my 2 plastic commandos that were recently kidnapped in the work stuffed animal kidnapping war that i started a few weeks ago.
    8:30-9:00 - back at work. Equipment engineering folk dont have their own desks, so i pirate some random terminal (nobody here at night) and continue to fuck around on the internet, TGR, etc.
    9:00-9:45 - Call for down equipment, I actually have to go in the Fab. Ten of these minutes are spent putting on and removing the cleanroom suit, the other 30 or so i replace a broken drive belt and reteach a confused robot.
    9:45-10:45 - fucking around again, go bullshit with other bored equipment monkeys, return to internet/TGR/yadayadayada.
    10:45-12:00 - I'm hungry. Me + 3 other similar folks go to Bennigans, where we randomly meet 3 other co-workers feeling similarly productive. We eat.
    12:00-now - back at work, (can't miss SAC!!) twidling my thumbs writing this scintilating account of my fascinating job.
    now-7:30 AM - yep, you guessed it.

so, I've done 30 minutes of actual work out of 330 minutes and counting this shift. There is very little danger of me having to do anything even mildly productive for the next 7+ hours, and even then, (unless god himself is directly involved) any problems will probably require no more than 30 minutes of my time, ten of which will be me fucking with the bunny suit.

So bring me your book and your assignment.

EDIT: in all fairness, i do get annihilated by work on some nights, but mostly not. But this is kind of one of those 'when it rains, it pours' jobs, so if i'm not trying to kill the whole night, i'm struggling to slip in enough time to take a piss.

EDIT2: It is now 2 AM, and you can add
    'liberally applied ballpine hammer to graham cracker packages left by day shift intern'
    to my list of tasks accomplished.

EDIT3: 4 AM and i'm leaving to do laundry and go to walmart.
    Last edited by good4nothing; 05-07-2006 at 04:15 AM.
    - Carl

Squatch Guest
    i bet the worst part is when SAC sucks

Quote Originally Posted by Squatch
    i bet the worst part is when SAC sucks
    It is the highlight of most evenings.

I am the anti-Nixon watch.
    - Carl

Paper's done Dude, i'll email it to you in a few.
    - Carl

Squatch Guest
    is there anything that you don't do?

Quote Originally Posted by Squatch
    is there anything that you don't do?
    Sleep....
    - Carl

Squatch Guest
    Sleep....