Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Who Believes in Ghosts?

House I grew up in was haunted, have lots of stories but i'm at a place in NH and had the shit scared outta me last night....really odd stuff, still trying to process it. Anyone else ever haunted or see one?

Yes, we just bought a haunted house in VT this past fall.

So tell us what happened to you last night?

Sprite
    "I call it reveling in natures finest element. Water in its pristine form. Straight from the heavens. We bathe in it, rejoicing in the fullest." --BZ

Yeah, the first house I lived in after moving out of the dorms was haunted. Weird stuff.
    Looking California, feeling Minnesota.

Whatever. So do you believe in haunted UFOs?

yeah. My first house I lived in during College had some weird stuff going on. Stuff that I've never been able to explain, but nothing scary. I was alone in that house all the time and was completely comfortable. It was weird stuff like the volume bar on the TV would randomly pop up on the screen and go up or down, and if I changed it back to where I had it, two seconds later it would change again. Would continue that cycle until I either turned it off or left it alone. Sometimes it would be frickin blaring! One day it did this and whatever was going on would NOT let me turn it down for more than 5 seconds. I couldn't watch TV that day. THAT time I was a bit freaked out. I seriously thought the speakers were going to blow. Anyway, that volume thing would happen maybe once a month or so. For a while, I thought it might have been something wrong with the TV but I still have it today and outside of that house it has never happened again. There were a couple of other specific events, but that one was the only reoccurring one. Crazy stuff.

So what happened to you???? Do tell....
    "If we resist our passions, it is more through their weakness than from our strength."

I've been waiting for this thread since you posted your UFO questions.

I would much rather see a ghost than an alien. Creature from outer space: meh. Revenant spririt come back from the dead? Hell yeah. I remain ready to observe, but utterly unconvinced.

So what's your story, Blatant? Where in NH?

ok I’ll try to convey this as concisely as possible and as quickly too as i'm heading out on vaca here in a few hrs...no computer till Tuesday!!!!

I was in the bathroom at the top of the stairs shaving. Now picture the top a T. The stem is the stairs, the top of the T is the hall way and the bath room is right across the hall way from the top of the stairs. Also...The house is pretty old and from time to time the parents would mention this oddity or that oddity over the years but only in passing and but I just said what ever b/c honestly some of the shit is hard to deal with so I didn’t look for validity being that I’m staying there for a while and I want to be able to sleep peacefully. I’m of the mindset with ghosts that if you ignore them, leave lights on and utilize an ipod…you’re bulletproof.

Anyway, I’m shaving in the bathroom and didn’t realize my Dad had come home. So as I’m shaving, he’s standing there on the steps watching me, which is a bit odd in itself but my old man can be weird. So I ask him. “why are you standing there, whater ya doin” as I continue to shave. No answer. I ask him “what’s going on” no answer. I also wondered why he was wearing a flannel Paul bunion looking shirt to work, as he works in an office and it wasn’t Friday. Now I see all this out of the corner of my eye, or my periphery if you like and of course it’s transpiring rather rapidly. So I turn my head and “wwwwhhhhoa” nothing there. I was like “No Fckn way.” Ya know like “what the hell?” I wasn’t sure if I should get on the toilet and shit right then or what. At first I was really really hoping he slipped back down stairs somehow. No such luck. Go down stairs, still no one is home. Now may back and spine start to crawl and I feel really tweaked. I prepare a vodka drink at once and sit down to ponder what if anything I really did see. Normally I’d have written it off to whatever seemed most comforting and logical but the fact I spoke to it and could tell it was there out of the corner of my eye to the point were I could ascertain the shirt color was pretty brutal. I couldn’t make out faces or anything to that extent, but nevertheless.

I have yet to have an answer and I do not know the history of the house yet…..the house in pa that I grew up in was seriously active. We had a German Shepard and some of the things I saw that dog do was even scarier, as the dog was very solid, smart and well trained. I’ve seen it chase “things” several times while barking at “them” I mean chase from the first floor up to the second and then up to the third and then lay out a rather vicious bark towards the end and then trot back down and sit down like it was all par for the course…I’ll tell you that really wakes you up.

I know some of you will call bullshit…but I buy it.

Lol yeah yeti, I think I’d rather see a ghost than an alien too.

Nice dallas, figured this would be correlated somehow.

I have a friend in AZ that has that tv shit happen, as do their neighbors. Weird.

Atkinson.
    Last edited by Blatant; 05-03-2006 at 11:12 AM. Reason: spelling....shit i'm rushed with work and feel obligated with this....

Sprite, what's the deal with your VT ghost?

Blatant, I've seen a similar thing: walked into my kitchen in western NH, saw a figure sitting on the washing machine. It was me. I stared for 10 seconds, was sure of what I was seeing, and backed out of the room. Didn't go back in there that night.

There is something scary about stairs, especially ones with a bathroom at the top. I always felt like the stairs in the house in which I grew up were haunted, and scrupulously avoided looking down them when walking into the bathroom at night. I've heard a number of other stories involving ghosts on the stairs -- seems like a common theme.

Haven't seen a ghost, but would like to...

For a creepy ghost movie, check out "The Others" w/ Nicole Kidman. Pretty good -- just watched it a few days ago on DVD. Builds suspense like a Shyamalan movie, but without the hokey "gotcha" ending.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by Yeti
    Blatant, I've seen a similar thing: walked into my kitchen in western NH, saw a figure sitting on the washing machine. It was me. I stared for 10 seconds, was sure of what I was seeing, and backed out of the room. Didn't go back in there that night.
    You saw yourself? Now that's fuckin scary. Seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by DrRy
    You saw yourself? Now that's fuckin scary. Seriously.

Yeah no shit....seeing yourself, that is scary.

Quote Originally Posted by Blatant
    Yeah no shit....seeing yourself, that is scary.
    Seriously. Ghosts or whatever aside, seeing myself would by far, scare the fuck out of me. And knowing me, I would probably come to the conclusion that I was actually dead or some crazy shit and be fucked up for the rest of my life.

Sorry Yeti.

Yeah. I wish I could say I had more experiences like that. This was the most intrusive "hallucination" I ever had -- I definitely perceived myself sitting on the washer, not just some pretty faux-stained-glass suggestion of an image. I was staring right at myself, staring back at me. I can still see myself: sitting on the washer, one knee bent, leg up on the top, the other dangling down. I looked tired.

The house has some history, including a few deaths in its 100 year history, but what I saw looked just like me. It was me. At the time, it wasn't scary at all -- just fucked up. Kind of like tearing your knee ligaments: it doesn't hurt much, but you have a deep sense that it's just plain wrong.

Only other thing like that I've experienced was in the woods not far from that house... after a few long out-and-back day runs along the Appalachian Trail, this one place about a mile from town started spooking me. Weird, like goosebumps and chills every time I ran through. I sort of saw a figure in there, too, something I always knew wasn't real but was gripping all the same. A guy in a brown robe, like a monk, holding juzu prayer beads. Don't know why I felt that I could see it there, but it's an image I associate with the Buddhist temples I visited in Japan. Terrifying, for some reason. After "seeing" this unreal thing/guy a few times, I didn't have to be running far for the memory of it to return. It was literally haunting, despite my logical convictions that it wasn't there. From then on, that place always gave me the same reaction, whether it was on mile 1 or mile 40 of a long day. It was a good spur to finish that last mile fast.

This one time I was totally catching my hand. Then this other time the walls were breathing, and the Johnny Cash came and took me to go see Muddy Waters play with SRV.

I believe you guys THINK you saw something. Really I do.

Yeah. I wish I could say I had more experiences like that. This was the most intrusive "hallucination" I ever had -- I definitely perceived myself sitting on the washer, not just some pretty faux-stained-glass suggestion of an image. I was staring right at myself, staring back at me. I can still see myself: sitting on the washer, one knee bent, leg up on the top, the other dangling down. I looked tired.

The house has some history, including a few deaths in its 100 year history, but what I saw looked just like me. It was me. At the time, it wasn't scary at all -- just fucked up. Kind of like tearing your knee ligaments: it doesn't hurt much, but you have a deep sense that it's just plain wrong.

Only other thing like that I've experienced was in the woods not far from that house... after a few long out-and-back day runs along the Appalachian Trail, this one place about a mile from town started spooking me. Weird, like goosebumps and chills every time I ran through. I sort of saw a figure in there, too, something I always knew wasn't real but was gripping all the same. A guy in a brown robe, like a monk, holding juzu prayer beads. Don't know why I felt that I could see it there, but it's an image I associate with the Buddhist temples I visited in Japan. Terrifying, for some reason. After "seeing" this unreal thing/guy a few times, I didn't have to be running far for the memory of it to return. It was literally haunting, despite my logical convictions that it wasn't there. From then on, that place always gave me the same reaction, whether it was on mile 1 or mile 40 of a long day. It was a good spur to finish that last mile fast.

So it could be said that you were actually "standby beside myself"
    never knew of a place where you could literally apply that term.

I don't believe in ghosts. My wife does, though. At our old house a few years ago she said she woke up in the middle of the night and there was a woman standing near the front door putting on a pair of gloves. According to my wife our cat was there and also staring at this ghost woman. Too bad the cat didn't approach the woman and start rubbing against her legs. Now that would be freaky!

About the TV volume changing by itself. Any chance it was someone next door fucking with you?

Rye fungus or cowshit fungi?
    Elvis has left the building

Quote Originally Posted by Tippster
    I believe you guys THINK you saw something. Really I do.
    I think I'm awake and at work right now, but I can't prove it! Thinking and feeling is all we can do for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by cj001f
    Rye fungus or cowshit fungi?
    Can't say -- could have been either, but I think that night it was neither? Those were the days.

Hey, even if perception is all we've got, it's fun to fuck with.

so dumb for me to read this thread right before I"m about to live alone for the first time ever.

I think I believe in ghosts, or that weird stuff happens. I just hope to hell it never happens to me.
    “Within this furnace of fear, my passion for life burns fiercely. I have consumed all evil. I have overcome my doubt. I am the fire.”

Sprite, what's the deal with your VT ghost?
    I actually wrote a story about it...but I'm not gonna post it here. It's a bit intense, and personal. I would send it upon request though.

I have not *seen* anything but there is *something* there. It's worse than seeing something. It's a feeling of being watched, odd coincidences...but mostly just a feeling of something being there. And recently I found out some 411 that could explain someone not being able to let go of the premises emotionally.

In any case, I'm no freaky-deaky new-age girl...but I am a believer in alternate realities, and that some things cannot be explained or understood in conventional ways.

Sprite
    "I call it reveling in natures finest element. Water in its pristine form. Straight from the heavens. We bathe in it, rejoicing in the fullest." --BZ

Quote Originally Posted by The AD
    About the TV volume changing by itself. Any chance it was someone next door fucking with you?
    Dunno. I suppose. I've always looked for some reasonable explaination, mostly because I don't know if I really believe in all that stuff, but never really thought of that...... so how would someone go about fucking with my volume from next door?
    "If we resist our passions, it is more through their weakness than from our strength."

There was a middle age looking lady ghost in the house I mentioned earlier.........we'd hear her banging cabinets downstairs and shit like that.
    But the most fucked up thing was one night I woke up to find her straddling my chest. I felt this pressure on my chest, but I was able to get up out of bed and run out of the house in my boxers. I stayed on the porch that night, and didn't sleep for three days. After that we'd see her wandering around the house.

You know when people say it gets cold in the room when a ghost is present? That is totally true.
    Looking California, feeling Minnesota.

Quote Originally Posted by snowsprite
    In any case, I'm no freaky-deaky new-age girl...but I am a believer in alternate realities, and that some things cannot be explained or understood in conventional ways.
    Sprite

I think that's how I would explain my outlook on this kinda stuff.

edit: maybe... I dont frickin know.....

Quote Originally Posted by spooner
    Dunno. I suppose. I've always looked for some reasonable explaination, mostly because I don't know if I really believe in all that stuff, but never really thought of that...... so how would someone go about fucking with my volume from next door?
    spooner- ever hear of a universal remote?

sprite- Ummm I'd like to read it if you don't mind. thelemonboy AT yahooOOOOOOOOOO dot comMUNIST

WSD- Always remember what Frank Herbert had to say about fear:
    The Bene Gesserit Littainy against Fear.
    Pg 19 of Dune
    I must not fear.
    Fear is the mind-killer.
    Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
    I will face my fear.
    I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
    And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
    Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
    Only I will remain.
    "It is not the result that counts! It is not the result but the spirit! Not what - but how. Not what has been attained - but at what price.
    - A. Solzhenitsyn

Umm... with a remote control? Most are Infrared and will transmit through windows. We used to fuck with our neighbors that way in School.

Yeti: You can get corroboration from your coworker that you are indeed at work.