Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Cool TR: Inaugural Long Board Day @ Alpental 4.29.06

We are just the appetizer for the main course. Greydon was really bummed he couldn't join his kirkwood posse to see his idea come to full fruitation on Sunday. So he conned me into improvising a 'test run' at alpental. See the problem with doing this in WA is that WA is the HOME of Recycled Ski Wear. So we really didn't look anything out of the ordinary.

But first, a warmup lap into the BC & Stokes Bowl. A large cornice fall interruppted our tour- as we were standing on Piss Pass, heard a large hissing sound, then a crackling- and carnage fell on top of the high traverse. We decided it best to get on our way and get the hell out of the BC and speed up the timetable for the inbounds Long Board Day.

Greydon dropping into Stokes

Shmerham cruises through the exit ramp

But why were we really here today? Oh yeah- LONG BOARD DAY!

210 cm's were on board as we went backwards in time to circa 1990.

Hmmnn...this could get interesting.

Greydon Clark finds it easier to defy gravity to make his bad bitches turn

Greydon with 50cm of room

our east coast guest Shmerham finds an easier time on those big tree planks

squirrel believes in the power of the Hop pro model buff

what does a squirrel have to do to get a nut in this world? (mtnbikerskierchick how about them pants! )

hmmm... these TNC's got a bit of rebound to them

knocking down more bump mine fields greydon fires up the boosters

Great. Just what we needed. more moguls

Middle Nash

Tight Squeeze

Like a ballerina, Greydon make pretty turns

Who, me?

Sometimes even the power of the pink poles can't help ya

greydon fighting his way through the ewok forest

squirrel checking status

Shmerham finds the wind in the willows

We'd like to give thanks to our sponsors

And just when we though it was over, snow returned momentarily to the Cascades and followed us for most the drive home. A wacky ending to a strange day!

After a successful test run- plans are in motion for a much grander day in 2007. Parking Lots, Kegs, sponsors- we can dream. Next year will become a tradition. But we may not be able to wait that long...I hear the Timberline Glacier calling for a summer long board day in july

We'll let the Kirkwood guys take it from here!
    Last edited by Squirrel99; 04-30-2006 at 09:01 PM.

All I can say is YES!
    Its not that I suck at spelling, its that I just don't care

Quote Originally Posted by Squirrel99
    hmmm... these TNC's got a bit of rebound to them
    Now that's some 80's steeze . . . well played!

Like a ballerina, Greydon make pretty turns
    Classic!

Looks like a great day - appetizers are sweet!

As always a fine TR! Count me in for Timberline in July, sorry I had to work yesterday ... the Salomon DH boards (217) were itching to get out.
    The snow doesn't give a soft white damn whom it touches.
    ~ e.e. cummings

It looks like a week of warm weather has taken its toll up at Alpental. That snow isn't looking quite so fresh anymore.

Nice shots! We all knew Squirrel was a closet bump basher.

EC reppin'! did you listen to Smells like team spirit in your walkman while skiing? and talk bout last night's Sienfeld at lunch?
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

The nice thing about Alpental is that it doesn't have to try to place itself back in the '90s or '80s (or '70s). It is, shall we say, "timeless."

Quote Originally Posted by Kellie
    Now that's some 80's steeze . . . !

I learned to ski on a pair of 205's or were they 210's...crazy huh??? fun pics.
    Ski Shop - Basement of the Hostel

Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish.

Mark Twain

Shmerham, hope you enjoyed your first taste of Washington, despite the somewhat "soft' conditons (in the OB we were cutting boot deep trenches in the mank).

I'd like to thank Squirrel99 for rolling deep with me on Long Board Day. His old school bump skier ways served him well--he skied zipper lines all day. It must have been the pants. I'd also like to thank the guy who invented fat skis, you really made the sport a lot easier. My abs are sore today from all the upper body counter rotations it took to turn the planks. Finally, as others have mentioned, Alpental rules because you can dress like a complete dickhead and ride skis made 15 years ago and no one will bat an eye.

Can't wait until next!
    The trumpet scatters its awful sound Over the graves of all lands Summoning all before the throne

Death and mankind shall be stunned When Nature arises To give account before the Judge

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Greydon Clark

Can't wait until next!
    greydon you will be pleased to know that I took a few runs with nathan from Evo today and he's fully backing the idea for a much grander, bigger event next year. with a few weeks of planning and a tweak here and there, could make this a fun springtime event!

and Bdog- you're on for Hood this summer. Guess those ol' TNC's may see more time this year than they've gotten in the last 15.

nice work gentlemen, nice work.

I enjoyed long board day mostly because it leveled the playing field.

Next year when I know about this I'll participate though. I think I qualify for the length reduction (this is a rule, not a medical procedure), but fuck it, I'm gonna try to get ahold of my friend's Yamaha 235 speed skis.

String is offline PowderdDonutsMakeMeGoNuts
    Nice! Last time I saw skis that skinny I was riding my dinsaur to school. badum...ching

Park that car in lot 4 on saturday and join in for the BBQ and drink-fest extravaganza in the afternoon. Possible ghetto hot-tub action truck bed style as well! It's the snowboardseattle party but it's starting to look like it's going to be a full on rager!

Great day up at Alpy today with the sun and solid spring conditions.

But man, even more naturally retro / dirt bag than yesterday's attempts!
    Hope you got some of that Steeze on film Squirrel.

Next year the real long boards come out
    Move upside and let the man go through...

FUCK YEAH!!!!

All day long I couldn't help but think of our cohorts to the north who also rocked the long planks this weekend, especially Greydon. You were sorely missed today. Shit went fucking off at Kirkwood. It was beautiful, actually.

Oh and Squirrel, I was rocking the EXACT same boards today.
    "I knew in an instant that the three dollars I had spent on wine would not go to waste."

and Bdog- you're on for Hood this summer. Guess those ol' TNC's may see more time this year than they've gotten in the last 15.
    Nice ... keep me in the loop for the dates. I am planning on being in Govy for a week or so in July anyway working with one of the camps.
    The snow doesn't give a soft white damn whom it touches.
    ~ e.e. cummings

(mtnbikerskierchick how about them pants! )
    Dang Squirrel, you crack me up! I STILL own those pants DV8's, it's been a long time! I can't believe you still have them too!

Great. Just what we needed. more moguls
    It's time that you come back and ski moguls at the Jane! If you're going to break out the pants and the skis (I so remember skiing on those!!!), you might as well do it up right and come back to the best bumps in the world!

Oh, and tell Greydon to watch out b/c I think those pink poles might match my new pants quite nicely
    -
    14erskiers.com

"Don't be afraid of the spaces between your dreams and reality. If you can dream it, you can make it so." - Belva Davis

"There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle"--Albert Einstein

Nice one Squirrel and Mr. Clark....

Way to REPRAZENT the LBD tradition in the PNW!

For as old as he is, Gredork does have some fully classic tele steeze. Way to rock out the longboards hippy!

"It is not the result that counts! It is not the result but the spirit! Not what - but how. Not what has been attained - but at what price.
    - A. Solzhenitsyn

Longboard day bump:
    It makes me feel better that last year's PNW LBD only had two attendies too.
    "It is not the result that counts! It is not the result but the spirit! Not what - but how. Not what has been attained - but at what price.
    - A. Solzhenitsyn

bumping for ski stoke

- A. Solzhenitsyn

at the bottom of the worst air in the USA
    That was really cool. Thanks!
    Not soliciting business through casual internet associations

Hey, it's John Elway!

2008 Longboard day??

Will this be resurrected this year? I've got some Elan RC05's that need to get out. They even say "Made in Yugoslavia" on the tail....And their mounted with Spademan bindings....