Page 66 of 76 FirstFirst ... 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 ... LastLast
Results 1,626 to 1,650 of 1879

Home Brew Maggots

Two brew day today.

3 gallons that will be a coconut porter.

Name:  ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1477775445.695134.jpg
Views: 252
Size:  461.2 KB

A local hop farm gave me some product so it's all going into a DIPA.

Name:  ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1477775489.711639.jpg
Views: 258
Size:  295.3 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    A local hop farm gave me some product so it's all going into a DIPA.
    Have you worked with those local versions of those hops before? I'm curious how much of Centennial's "Centennial-ness" is tied to being grown in the PNW, as compared to NE (or the mid-Atlantic). It's one of my favorite hops, and if it were going to be at least pretty close to what I get buying from the LHBS, I'd consider growing a bunch of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Awesome View Post
    Have you worked with those local versions of those hops before? I'm curious how much of Centennial's "Centennial-ness" is tied to being grown in the PNW, as compared to NE (or the mid-Atlantic). It's one of my favorite hops, and if it were going to be at least pretty close to what I get buying from the LHBS, I'd consider growing a bunch of it.
    This is my first time using their hops. Of course dumping them all in the same batch probably won't give me much sense of their individual flavor /aroma.

Brewed an American red rye lager today. First brew day in a while, I've got nothing on tap and nothing else in fermenters. Need to get back to it.

It's been a busy week.

Kicked the end of the Oktoberfest dunkel.

Name:  ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1479246910.680432.jpg
Views: 275
Size:  333.8 KB

Toasted coconut added to the the porter in secondary.

Name:  ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1479246930.560056.jpg
Views: 212
Size:  444.3 KB

A 3 gallon BIAB imperial milk chocolate oatmeal stout on the stove top.

Name:  ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1479246992.564953.jpg
Views: 253
Size:  345.6 KB

And the first pull of the local hop DIPA.

Name:  ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1479246963.997438.jpg
Views: 213
Size:  272.6 KB

Pulled some farmhouse saison that had been aging in Chardonnay barrels for one year with some brett and wild yeast. Two different blends. One came out very "horse blankety" and the other tart.

Has anyone brewed with star anise or gentian root? I'm inspired by a dark saison that uses both.

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    Has anyone brewed with star anise or gentian root? I'm inspired by a dark saison that uses both.
    I just used some star anise in a Belgian ale. I usually use it sparingly cause I'm scared of it tasting like licorice. It's complimented by coriander and cardamom.

Quote Originally Posted by shredgnar View Post
    I just used some star anise in a Belgian ale. I usually use it sparingly cause I'm scared of it tasting like licorice. It's complimented by coriander and cardamom.
    I know you are brewing on a much different scale, but I've heard that I should use about 2 pods for a 5 gallon batch in the last 10 minutes of the boil. Any insight?

I brew on small scale too sometimes. I use ground anise, 15 mins before EOB. I think I used 2 tablespoons last time I did a 5 gal batch? Two pods sounds about right.

Quote Originally Posted by shredgnar View Post
    Pulled some farmhouse saison that had been aging in Chardonnay barrels for one year with some brett and wild yeast. Two different blends. One came out very "horse blankety" and the other tart.

Nice!
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
    Nice!
    Picking up 8 more barrels today! Filling them with some bier de garde and maybe some brown ale with cherries.

Sweet, I bottled my Kreik and Oud de Bruin about a month ago. They had been in secondary for just over a year. The pic above is the pelicle on top of the Oud de Bruin. It smelled fantastic, I want to bottle condition it as much as possible.

I have a 5 gal and a 30 gal barrels that I need to do something with.
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
    Sweet, I bottled my Kreik and Oud de Bruin about a month ago. They had been in secondary for just over a year. The pic above is the pelicle on top of the Oud de Bruin. It smelled fantastic, I want to bottle condition it as much as possible.

I have a 5 gal and a 30 gal barrels that I need to do something with.

Just got a Laphroaig 10 year barrel too. No idea what to put in it. Apparently it gives a really strong flavor. Thinking about a big ass scotch ale.

LIKE!

I do what I call Scottys Skull Splitter, loosely based on the Scotish Skull Splitter recipe I soak oak chips or a spiral in Old Pulteny single malt and sometimes throw in a bit of heather tips.

It is delicious!
    watch out for snakes

Bottled and corked my Belgian Quad, aged on pawpaws. That was a royal PITA, had one bottle shatter at the neck as the cork went in. Got lucky and no glass shards in Mr. Hand.

The Belgian Golden strong is in the keg.
    watch out for snakes

watch out for snakes

Midnight beer transfer and I totally forgot to back flush and clean my plate chiller which I am doing now while drink.
    watch out for snakes

Early pour of milk chocolate oatmeal stout.

Pulling a toasted coconut porter.

Happy Brew Year maggots!
    watch out for snakes

Finally got my first brew day in a few months done this weekend, which might have something to do with the three-month old taking up all my free time. Just a simple APA. I'm trying to turn it around quickly and considering dry hopping in late active fermentation. Thoughts on that vs waiting until fermentation is complete? I am seeing lots of inconclusive articles about it online.

Quote Originally Posted by Bean View Post
    Finally got my first brew day in a few months done this weekend, which might have something to do with the three-month old taking up all my free time. Just a simple APA. I'm trying to turn it around quickly and considering dry hopping in late active fermentation. Thoughts on that vs waiting until fermentation is complete? I am seeing lots of inconclusive articles about it online.
    Seems to be a great way to get more out of the hops as the fermentation keeps them in suspension longer supposedly. That's what all the NEIPA style guys are doing. I just dry hopped a DIPA today, three days into fermentation. Some say that having the yeast active also gives some different flavors as well. I doubt you'll ruin the batch so go for it.

Fkna beer
    watch out for snakes

Rapscallion tangerine ginger wit in the fermenter, going for a Belgian tasting in July.

Used well water from my buddies place which is some of the best water I have evah tasted.

Brewing was a throw back to my Navy days with near 100F ambient temps in the shade.
    watch out for snakes

Gonna brew up another wit soon but may "shandy" it as an alternative.
    watch out for snakes