Page 2 of 76 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by nopainnojane
    What yeast do you use?
    It is at home in the fridge. Liquid, yellow and blue packaging. Will look when I get home.
    "boobs just make the world better really" - Woodsy

Quote Originally Posted by FreakofSnow
    Second batch was a Mirror Pond clone, yum. I need to get some supplies and get back into the game.

I would love the recipe for Mirror Pond!!!! Can you share?

That is one of my favorite beers of all time.

Quote Originally Posted by DougW
    Thats not the first time an American has been surprized about U brews...
    In USA, they often call themselves "Brew on Premises" or "B.O.P.'s". I've never tried them.

I did 50+ batches (no lagers) at home in San Francisco back when great beer was hard to find in bottles. I still have my lab book with notes on every batch, and I did extra experiments to isolate variables. I did not quit until San Francisco Safeways finally started carrying robust bottled IPA's that I could no longer beat. I could still pretty much match them, but easier to buy instead.

All-grain, no extract, liquid lab yeast is the way to go. Pelletized hops always delivered fresher flavors than whole hops and hop plugs of the same age, but whichever you choose in the store, gotta check the packaging date and pick the hops packaged most recently and stored most properly (fridge, no light).

If I ever brew again, it will be because I miss my nut brown ale and my unconventional porter (loads of finishing hops), because the market does not provide me with anything close (bottled anyway).

Not sure how some of you guys are getting 13-15%. I think my max was about 10%. What yeast do you use to get that high? Primary fermentation with ale yeast followed by secondary fermentation with champagne yeast????

I lived in Vancouver, BC for 7 months and found that BC beer is not great. Aren't all western mountain states/provinces supposed to brew great beer?! I couldn't find good homebrew ingredients anywhere in Vancouver, so I severely compromised my recipes for 2 batches. The best yeast I could find was kindly offered by the guys at Storm Brewery, which likely would have been good, except they gave me an infected sample, so those batches sucked hard.
    - TRADE your heavy PROTESTS for my lightweight version at this thread

"My biggest goal in life has always been to pursue passion and to make dreams a reality. I love my daughter, but if I had to quit my passions for her, then I would be setting the wrong example for her, and I would not be myself anymore. " -Shane

"I'm gonna go SO OFF that NO ONE's ever gonna see what I'm gonna do!" -Saucerboy

Lets see if we can get a maggot compilation of brews going. Here are some of my favs.

Irish Red

7# light extract
    8oz british pale malt
    8oz crystal 70L malt
    4 oz Crystal 135L malt
    4 oz Roasted Barley
    2 oz Goldings hops (1.5 goldings at 60minutes, .5 at 15 minutes)
    1 tsp Gypsum and 1 tsp Irish moss

Summer Ale

6# light extract
    8 oz Carapils
    8 oz 2-row Malt
    8 oz Weat Malt

2oz Saaz hops (1.5 oz at 60mins, .5 oz at 5 min)
    1/2 Tsp Irish Moss,

Amber Ale
    7# Amber Extract
    8oz Crystal 135L
    8 oz Dextrin Malt
    4oz Choclate Malt
    1 oz Northern Brewer at 60 min
    1oz Hallertauer @ 10min
    1oz Hallertauer @ 0min
    2tsp Gypsum, 1Tsp Irish Moss

Chery Porter * Havent tried it yet, its still in the fermantation.
    7# Light Extract
    8oz Choclate Malt
    3oz Black Malt
    8oz Crystal 70L Malt
    4oz Brown Malt
    2oz Yakima Kent Goldings (1oz at 60mins, 1 oz @ 1 min)
    2 tsp Gypsum, .5tsp Irish Moss

After boiling add 4oz Celler Pro chery extract

Madrian Maize Ale *Bottled and agging still.
    5# light extract
    1# Honey
    .5# Dextrin Malt
    .75 Lb Flaked Maize
    .5 #Vienna Malt
    1.5oz Hallertauer hops (1oz @60min, .5oz @ 5 min)
    1 G of Orange Juice from fresh squeezed Mandrian oranges added last 10 min of boil.
    1tsp Irish Moss

Luckily we have a really good brewery supply store in town that produces some very good extracts and Yakima valley hops are easy to come by.
    Generally I will boil ~ 4G at a time and then add the H2O needed to acheive 5 gallons.
    The Ski Journal theskijournal.com
    frequency TSJ frqncy.com

Just ordered this bad boy up. Look out beer belly here I come. I am pumped to not be cleaning bottles any more. And the thought of not having to wait 2 weeks for carbonation makes me . Spent $180 on http://morebeer.com. It was by far the best price b/t the 10 sites I checked out.

Buzz, here's the Mirror Pond recipe:

Heat 1.25 gal water to 164F, Crush:
    1 lb light Crystal Malt

Add Liquor to steep at 152F for 90 min. Sparge w/ 2 gal. water at 168. Add to runnings:
    3 lb unhopped pale malt dry malt DME

Bring to boil, then add:
    .9 oz Cascade hops

Boil 45 minutes, then add:
    .9 oz Cascade hops

Boil 15 min., remove from heat. Cool, then top up to 5.25 gallons with chilled preboiled water. Cool to 68F, then pitch:
    American Ale yeast Or Muntons dry yeast

Ferment at 68F for 2 weeks, then tx to secondary fermenter and add:
    1.5 oz Cascade hops

Condition cool for 3-4 weeks. Prime with:
    3/4 corn sugar

Bottle and age at 55F for 3 weeks.

THEN DRINK UP!

Sweet, are you going to build a mount for that in your truck so it can go on all snowflake killing and whitewater destroying missions?

FreakofSnow,

Been thinking about getting one of those for awhile now. I'm assuming that set-up comes w/ everything you need to keg?

Quote Originally Posted by criscam
    FreakofSnow,

Been thinking about getting one of those for awhile now. I'm assuming that set-up comes w/ everything you need to keg?
    Wonder if they will ship to Utah since it is not legal to keg. If they do, please let me know, I will have to dig up more cash.

Oh, and Micky Ds and Bugger King tend to leave pop kegs outside at night.

Not that I am advocating breaking anymore laws or anthing.

ANd if you get it, invite me down for some company to brew!

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzworthy
    Wonder if they will ship to Utah since it is not legal to keg. If they do, please let me know, I will have to dig up more cash.

Oh, and Micky Ds and Bugger King tend to leave pop kegs outside at night.

Not that I am advocating breaking anymore laws or anthing.

ANd if you get it, invite me down for some company to brew!
    uh, er...I just want in to batch up some homemade root beer.

hmmm, Mickey D's and BK sounds tempting, although ebay might be safer.

I'm envisioning 5 or 6 of these in my basement, with taps running to every room, and one right in the middle of my headboard.

Buzz, maybe you can come down and help me figure out your pale ale for me.
    These temps need to drop though before I start another batch.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by criscam
    uh, er...I just want in to batch up some homemade root beer.

hmmm, Mickey D's and BK sounds tempting, although ebay might be safer.

I'm envisioning 5 or 6 of these in my basement, with taps running to every room, and one right in the middle of my headboard.

Buzz, maybe you can come down and help me figure out your pale ale for me.
    These temps need to drop though before I start another batch.
    I read tap coming out of the middle of my forehead. It has been a long day here apparently.

I most certainly can come down once the temps drop. I have no AC, so I definately cant brew now.

I can consult my beer master from NJ on that reciepe and we can get it right.

PMing cellie so you have it.

6 batches of rootbeer, AWESOME!!! Can I move in?

I am getting ready to order a Kegman kit that allows you to reseal sankey comercial kegs and keg your own homebrew in a 15 gallon comercial keg.

Just finshed primary fermintation on a batch of Absinth porter if it turns out any good, I will post the recipe
    The Ski Journal theskijournal.com
    frequency TSJ frqncy.com

If any of you in Denver are interested, my homebrew club is having its annual picnic at Clement Park on Saturday, August 5th. There will be great beer, bbq and a silent auction were you can pick up some nice stuff donated from suppliers from around the country. PM is interested. Here is the link to the site.

http://www.foamontherange.org/

I am thinking about growing my own hops. I have been doing a ton of research on growing hops and it appears it fairly easy. Does anyone have any good pointers?

Golden-
    Are you still in UT? I work at the Beer Nut and the hop rhizomes are going fast. As far as growing, it is a matter of planting and creating tressles(sp?) It is rare that you get a yield in the first year too. The beer nut has some free literature if you are interested.

grant that apricot hefe was the best beer i've had in my life.

Ty-

I can imagine it takes a few years to get a good crop. Is it cool to plant several different types of rhizomes in the same area or is one typically more dominant than another? I hooked up that literature the other day. It definitely had some real good information.

Man... I haven't brewed in a few years... I brewed a lot back in the day, though. I got as advanced as I could without going to all grain; kegging, liquid yeast, reconstituting the same yeast from batch to batch (shit, I can't even remember the terminology), counter flow wort chiller, etc..

Fun hobby. I used to make a pretty nice ESB using chinook hops. Chinook is interesting. I don't really think there is one commercial beer that uses it.
    "Shit, I'll choke her while she's cleaning, and I'll do it wearing a helmet cam mounted on a full-face helmet.
    I'll have meatdrink9 do the lighting for the shot. He'll make it artsy as fuck."
    - Phunk

The eventual goal is to make an all organic, self sustaining brewery. There is a brewery that has been reconstituting yeast for over 100 years. That is the only way to go.

But I haven't got the hops figured out yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Snow Dog View Post
    I had a hippy friend who, 20 years ago, homebrewed but started with a 45gal drum and an oar for mixing. He drank a lot of beer.
    Obviously a man of substance.
    Where am I?

Quote Originally Posted by yooper View Post
    Chinook is interesting. I don't really think there is one commercial beer that uses it.
    Rogue does in a number of their brews I might have to try some in the imperial porter Im about to brew

Buzz,
    I really doubt that they would refuse to ship just cause you are in UT. That law sounds pretty obscure (and of course moronic) and most retailers probably aren't aware of it. Besides it's the booze IN the keg not the KEG itself. You could always order everything separately. Are you not allowed to own a kegerator in UT?! Because, you could just buy the regulator , tank and line separately at a local store and order a couple kegs from www.kegconnection.com. That's where I got my kegs. ~$50 for 2 in really good condition.

I've got an Anchor Steam clone in secondary right now. I'm about to start up a batch of German Apfelwine for the Telluride Bluegrass Festival: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthre...ight=apfelwine

I'm probably gonna brew another batch...possibly a porter next week. I think I'll try one of the maggot recipes!

Here is the recipe for those that don't wanna follow the link:
    Apfelwein (German Hard Cider)

Ingredients

5 Gallons 100% Apple Juice (No preservatives or additives) I use Tree Top Apple Juice
    2 pounds of dextrose (corn sugar) in one pound bags
    1 five gram packet of Montrachet Wine Yeast

Equipment

5 Gallon Carboy (I use a Better Bottle)
    Carboy Cap or Stopper with Airlock
    Funnel

1. First sanitize the carboy, airlock, funnel, stopper or carboy cap.
    2. Open one gallon bottle of apple juice and pour half of it into the carboy using the funnel.
    3. Open one bag of Dextrose and carefully add it to the now half full bottle of apple juice. Shake well.
    4. Repeat Steps 2 and 3, then go to step 5.
    5. Pour in the mixture of Apple Juice and Dextrose from both bottles into the carboy.
    6. Add all but 1 quart of remaining 3 gallons of apple juice to the carboy.
    7. Open the packet of Montrachet Yeast and pour it into the neck of the funnel.
    8. Use the remaining quart of juice to wash down any yeast that sticks. I am able to fit all but 3 ounces of apple juice into a 5 gallon Better Bottle. You may need to be patient to let the foam die down from all shaking and pouring.
    9. Put your stopper or carboy cap on with an airlock and fill the airlock with cheap vodka. No bacteria will live in vodka and if you get suckback, you just boosted the abv.

There’s no need to worry about filling up a carboy so full when you use Montrachet wine yeast. There is no Kreuzen, just a thin layer of bubbles. I'm able to fit all but 4 oz. of my five gallons in the bottle. Ferment at room temperature.

It will become cloudy in a couple of days and remain so for a few weeks. In the 4th week, the yeast will begin to drop out and it will become clear. After at least 4 weeks, you can keg or bottle, but it is ok to leave it in the carboy for another month or so. Racking to a secondary is not necessary.

If you want to bottle and carbonate, ¾ cup of corn sugar will work fine. Use as you would carbonate a batch of beer.

Remember to reserve judgment till after 3 glasses. It grows on you.
    Last edited by smolakian; 04-11-2007 at 08:27 AM. Reason: added the recipe

Thumbs up

Great thread. Looking forward to getting a couple of these rolling.

I haven't brewed in two years, but on my last swing to PDX I picked up the boxes of equipment I left behind in a big move and UPSed the shit back East. Among other goodies I sent back was my costum wort chiller and a set up I used for aeration (involves a fish tank bubbler and aeration stone). My pops has a three ring propane burner I can hook up and I'm committed to buying a soda keg set-up this go around. Still enjoy bottling the beers up (barley wines, porters, stouts, etc..), but getting some summer beers ready would be great with the keg.

I'll post some recipes I enjoyed when I dig the the notebook out.
    "I'm on the High-T and all I need is a little gravity to bring me back...back to the fringe"

my favorite thus far:

pale ale
    Amount Item Type % or IBU
    9.92 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 87.5 %
    1.42 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 12.5 %
    0.41 oz Magnum [14.00%] (60 min) Hops 20.7 IBU
    0.41 oz Pearle [8.00%] (30 min) Hops 9.1 IBU
    0.83 oz Cascade [5.50%] (10 min) Hops 5.9 IBU
    1.66 oz Cascade [5.50%] (1 min) Hops 1.4 IBU
    mash at 153 degF for 60 min. No mash out needed.

any american ale yeast does the trick.
    recipe for 5 gal after boil @ 73% efficiency with OG of 1.059

I hadn't seen this thread yet, I'll have to try some of the recipes posted.
    Last edited by Art Vandelay; 04-11-2007 at 09:41 AM.

I've been pitching yeast at a u-brew for a few years and have yet to have a bad batch. It's nice to have a temperature controlled room, copper tuns, filters and carbonation all for about a buck a bottle. The best part is the only overhead is picking up bottles - and when space is limited due to other gear addictions having all the goodies out of the house isn't a bad idea either.
    so far (with the help of the u-brew)...
    -gypsy pale ale (IPA ish)
    -Christmas bock
    -German bock
    -wheat bock
    -heffenwiesen
    -pale ales
    -pilsners
    -scotch ale
    -bitters
    -cream ales
    -brown ales

Quote Originally Posted by Moose Pit View Post
    I've been pitching yeast at a u-brew for a few years and have yet to have a bad batch. It's nice to have a temperature controlled room, copper tuns, filters and carbonation all for about a buck a bottle. The best part is the only overhead is picking up bottles - and when space is limited due to other gear addictions having all the goodies out of the house isn't a bad idea either.
    so far (with the help of the u-brew)...
    -gypsy pale ale (IPA ish)
    -Christmas bock
    -German bock
    -wheat bock
    -heffenwiesen
    -pale ales
    -pilsners
    -scotch ale
    -bitters
    -cream ales
    -brown ales
    Yeah, but what you really want is beer for 25c a bottle and you can WATCH the fermentation take place! Plus, brewing at home definitely gives your beer more personal character.

But, I do agree that it is an excellent alternative to buying mass produced and expensive microbrew.