Page 69 of 71 FirstFirst ... 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 LastLast
Results 1,701 to 1,725 of 1765
    Quote Originally Posted by criscam View Post

nice!
    Do not count the days

Make the days count.

Well dang it. Forgot to order some DME to make the required yeast starters. Extra trip to the LHBS to get it and picked up an extract pale ale kit to throw down so I can get something in the keg faster. Then my old stir plate decides to shit the bed. My cigar box muffin fan stir plate is still hanging in there.
    Do not count the days

Make the days count.

Three days of brewing in the can. Struggling a bit with the extract brew in a swamp cooler, its still a tad warm here. The fermentation chamber is full of German brews and will be lagering when its time.

Ups and downs I still love brewing.
    Do not count the days

Make the days count.

Just tapped a Pale Ale I made with some free cryo Mosaic hops AHA sent me.

Pretty simple recepie, MO, a touch of flaked oats, .5oz magnum FWH, .5oz cryo Mosaic @ 10min, .5 cryo Mosaic @ flame out and 1oz cryo Mosaic dry hop for 4 days.

All ingredients I had on hand so it was "free" beer except for the yeast.

Wow! Cryo hops are fucking amazing! these are going on all of my apa/IPA recepies. It's almost like I cheated.

Just brewed my first batch in 15 years. Still have my old brewing log and my last brewing day was in October 2002! This time just went with a simple extract, single hop (Centennial) pale ale. She's bubbling away in the fermenter right now.

Home Brew Maggots

I brought my scratter and press down to the BYO offices last night for our annual club cider pressing. We ended up with about 35 gallons.

https://www.facebook.com/BrewYourOwn...5819421389885/

What do you guys think about secondary fermentation? In the past I've always racked my beer to a glass carboy for secondary, but I've been reading quite a bit lately that there's really no reason for secondary unless you're going to add something such as hops for dry hopping. Thoughts?

I've always done a secondary to get the dead yeast sediment out, on the assumption that it adds off flavors. Paranoid? Maybe.

There is a higher risk of potential infection and oxidation when racking to a secondary so you have to weigh your risk tolerance.

Unnecessary unless you are aging the beer for a long time or racking onto fruit or something. I only do it for fruit or sours that will sit for a long time. Dry hopped beers just get hopped in the primary fermenter.

^ what he said.

I always secondary, never had a problem with O2 or infection cuz I am careful and know what I be doing.
    Do not count the days

Make the days count.

3 gallons of home pressed cider bubbling away. Here's a glass of the 2015.

On another note, I made a recipe for a pumpkin spice latte stout that I'm hoping to brew next week. It's expected to be 8% using chico yeast. I'd like to serve it at Ullrfest on 10/21. Can it be done?

Peruvian, do you keg or bottle your cider?

Quote Originally Posted by half-fast View Post
    Peruvian, do you keg or bottle your cider?
    I keg cider and beer.

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    On another note, I made a recipe for a pumpkin spice latte stout that I'm hoping to brew next week. It's expected to be 8% using chico yeast. I'd like to serve it at Ullrfest on 10/21. Can it be done?
    Three weeks is plenty of time. Pumpkin spice latte stout though?

"Your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn’t stop to think if they should."
    "It need not be fun to be fun." - Big Steve

throughpolarizedeyes.com

I bottle all my cider to cellar it for aging, I have bottles that are 7 years old and when most people drink it they think it is cham pag ne.
    Do not count the days

Make the days count.

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    3 gallons of home pressed cider bubbling away. Here's a glass of the 2015.

I do mine as sparkling cider as well.
    Do not count the days

Make the days count.

I bottled my first batch last night. Took a gravity reading on Friday and yesterday and they were the same, so figured no reason to wait any longer.

I've been thinking about brewing an Anchor Steam/California Common next. It seems that Anchor uses 100% Northern Brewer hops, but this seems a little boring and I see no reason to simply clone a commercial beer. So what I'm thinking is using NB as the bittering hops and then something else for aroma. Perhaps Mosaic or Simcoe. Any other suggestions?

What is your favorite hops?
    Do not count the days

Make the days count.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    I've been thinking about brewing an Anchor Steam/California Common next. It seems that Anchor uses 100% Northern Brewer hops, but this seems a little boring and I see no reason to simply clone a commercial beer. So what I'm thinking is using NB as the bittering hops and then something else for aroma. Perhaps Mosaic or Simcoe. Any other suggestions?
    Like Scotty said, it depends on what you want to achieve with the beer. The piney Simcoe might be nice in small quantities, but could end up pretty oniony if it's your only flavor/aroma addition. Mosaic, like Citra, is something you could definitely throw in for aroma. Sounds like you want something more like an IPA, but you could take it any direction. Maybe use something a little more new/exotic like Southern Cross, Mandarina Bavaria, Tripleperle, or Sorachi Ace. Just depends on what you are going for and play around with. The Anchor Steam malt profile lends itself to a wide range of options depending on your preference.

Scotty India Amber ale in da keg.
    Do not count the days

Make the days count.

Got a Mark II keg and carboy washer today, put it thru the paces by washing 12 kegs. Used a total of one gallon of water and an ounce of PBW to clean them all. Wish I had got one of these before. Highly recommended.

Also got a Belgian Quad and Sip of Sunshine clone kits.
    Do not count the days

Make the days count.