Page 9 of 76 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by tylerjames View Post
    I just brewed a clone of Dogfish head 90ipa ordered the supplies from Midwest supplies. they always try and hook people up and have good quality hops. I posted the ingredients and recipe guidelines below.

Recipe Specifications
    --------------------------
    Batch Size: 5.00 gal
    Boil Size: 2.43 gal
    Estimated OG: 1.072 SG
    Estimated Color: 13.1 SRM
    Estimated IBU: 49.7 IBU
    Brewhouse Efficiency: - %
    Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
    ------------
    Amount Item Type % or IBU
    $14.50 + $9.00 9 lbs (6 lbs+3.3lbs) 14.4 oz Pale Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM) Extract 90.83 %
    $1.35 1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 9.17 %
    $2.00 1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (Dry Hop 3 days) Hops -
    $4.20 1.25 oz Warrior [15.00 %] (60 min) Hops 26.6 IBU
    $2.60 0.50 oz Simcoe [12.00 %] (Dry Hop 3 days) Hops -
    $2.00 1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (35 min) Hops 10.0 IBU
    $2.60 1.00 oz Simcoe [12.00 %] (30 min) Hops 13.1 IBU
    $38.25 Total Price less Shipping
    Hmmm... your IBU:GU ratio seems a bit off for a big IPA like the 90min, I'll be interested to hear how it comes out. Did you hit all your marks there, or had you estimated different numbers? Also, curious about the decision to only dry-hop for three days. The last IPA I made had 2oz of cascade dry-hopped for three WEEKS!

Quote Originally Posted by JayPowHound View Post
    Hmmm... your IBU:GU ratio seems a bit off for a big IPA like the 90min, I'll be interested to hear how it comes out. Did you hit all your marks there, or had you estimated different numbers? Also, curious about the decision to only dry-hop for three days. The last IPA I made had 2oz of cascade dry-hopped for three WEEKS!

I just made it and its sitting in the primary so i can't say for sure what the IBU is yet. It does seem a bit high for an ipa but we'll see. i pulled the recipe off homebrewtalk so i can't claim it as my own, its only my 3rd batch so i barely know what i'm doing.

3 day dry-hop is definitively short esp for the DFH i'm thinking i'm going to dry-hop for about 2-3 weeks, 1 week primary 3 weeks secondary and 2-3 in the bottle.

I just made it and its sitting in the primary so i can't say for sure what the IBU is yet. It does seem a bit high for an ipa but we'll see. i pulled the recipe off homebrewtalk so i can't claim it as my own, its only my 3rd batch so i barely know what i'm doing.

3 day dry-hop is definitively short esp for the DFH i'm thinking i'm going to dry-hop for about 2-3 weeks, 1 week primary 3 weeks secondary and 2-3 in the bottle.
    That sounds a little better for the dry-hopping, I'd throw it all into the secondary and leave it for a couple of weeks if I was you. As for the IBU, I was actually thinking it seemed LOW for a IPA with such a high gravity, but it doesn't matter. You made beer, and I'm sure it will come out great! Also, that's not something you will test or calculate after fermentation. It all comes from the Alpha % of your hops and the length of the boil. If your numbers said 50 that's probably what it is. I would recommend investing in either ProMash (for PC) or BeerAlchemy (for Mac) if you find that you're really into this whole brewing thing. Among other things they will help you generate your own recipes, keep them true to style, and they do all the math for you!

Cheers!!

Last edited by JayPowHound; 10-29-2009 at 09:51 PM.

BeerSmith is dope, too. You'll need an emulator to run it on a mac.

now that the cold weather has arrived its a lot easier to brew some good beer.
    I just brewed a clone of Dogfish head 90ipa ordered the supplies from Midwest supplies, it was posted through a link before but this is the extract recipe not all grain. they always try and hook people up and have good quality hops.

I posted the ingredients and recipe guidelines below.

Recipe Specifications
    --------------------------
    Batch Size: 5.00 gal
    Boil Size: 2.43 gal
    Estimated OG: 1.072 SG
    Estimated Color: 13.1 SRM
    Estimated IBU: 49.7 IBU
    Brewhouse Efficiency: - %
    Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
    ------------
    Amount Item Type % or IBU
    $14.50 + $9.00 9 lbs (6 lbs+3.3lbs) 14.4 oz Pale Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM) Extract 90.83 %
    $1.35 1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 9.17 %
    $2.00 1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (Dry Hop 3 days) Hops -
    $4.20 1.25 oz Warrior [15.00 %] (60 min) Hops 26.6 IBU
    $2.60 0.50 oz Simcoe [12.00 %] (Dry Hop 3 days) Hops -
    $2.00 1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (35 min) Hops 10.0 IBU
    $2.60 1.00 oz Simcoe [12.00 %] (30 min) Hops 13.1 IBU
    $38.25 Total Price less Shipping
    That looks like a recipe I saw in a book on craft brews for the DFH 60 min. I sure am glad I have gone all grain: 24 bucks for malt! Ouch!
    Just ski down there and jump of a somethin' fer cryin' out loud!

-Pain McShlonkey

Mr Worldwide - like Pitbull with a better vocabulary
    Quote Originally Posted by JayPowHound View Post
    How much do you drink while you brew?? I've found that an average extract with specialty grains batch takes me 2.5-3 hours from start to finish, and I usually end up drinking anywhere from 4-8 beers while I'm at it. Oh yea, and I usually brew (and therefore drink) alone cuz the wife has no interest. Does that make me an alcoholic?

***EDIT: Almost let the kettle boil over while writing this post... damn, that was a close one!!
    4-8 sounds fine. a bit lower if theres safety meetings.
    remember once you are a brewer you can never be an alcoholic; youre either a researcher or a connoisseur (depending on your level of drunkeness).
    "Yeah, yeah. you buy Playboy for the articles just like I watch Brokeback Mountain for the scenery... wait, that doesnt work."

Just wondering how many of you are also on Homebrewtalk? I was one there for a year or two and haven't been since last May I think. Then again I haven't brewed in about 6 months, which sucks!

Mr Worldwide - like Pitbull with a better vocabulary
    i probably have like ten posts over at homebrewtalk. so i wouldnt say im on it like im on here which is oxymoronic when you figure i got 3 batches fermenting now, 4 batches bottled but havent been on snow in months....
    "Yeah, yeah. you buy Playboy for the articles just like I watch Brokeback Mountain for the scenery... wait, that doesnt work."

Quote Originally Posted by nihiles View Post
    i probably have like ten posts over at homebrewtalk. so i wouldnt say im on it like im on here which is oxymoronic when you figure i got 3 batches fermenting now, 4 batches bottled but havent been on snow in months....
    Nice! I need to brew soon, between moving and starting a new job I haven't had much time. Well its always good to meet other homebrewers.

Quote Originally Posted by SkiFreeor... View Post
    Just wondering how many of you are also on Homebrewtalk? I was one there for a year or two and haven't been since last May I think. Then again I haven't brewed in about 6 months, which sucks!
    I post more over here but probably spend more time drooling while lurking over there. I think I have 17 posts in about a year.

-Pain McShlonkey

tylerjames, what yeast did you use for the dogfish head? I've heard they use ringwood for all their brews, but I've read some bad reviews of that yeast. I'm curious to hear how yours tastes.

Gotta love a homebrew thread on tgr... mixing my two favorite pastimes.

Quote Originally Posted by BambooShoot View Post
    tylerjames, what yeast did you use for the dogfish head? I've heard they use ringwood for all their brews, but I've read some bad reviews of that yeast. I'm curious to hear how yours tastes.
    i used the wyeast 1187 ringwood Ale yeast. i'll let you know how it comes out in about 6 weeks. i can't wait

[QUOTE=Buzzworthy;842831]Wonder if they will ship to Utah since it is not legal to keg

How can it be illegal to keg your beer?

[quote=hofman;2582249]
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzworthy View Post
    Wonder if they will ship to Utah since it is not legal to keg

How can it be illegal to keg your beer?
    In Utah, it is/was (did they change the law yet?) to make your own beer. This obviously is not enforced since there are two homebrew shops in SLC proper.

-Pain McShlonkey

on hbt, same username barely ever post though. more lurking for recipes. brewing a double chocolate oatmeal stout this afternoon...stoked.

We've won it. It's going to get better now. You can sort of tell these things.

Cool

Been brewing for over three years now, used to post over at NB forum but they are a bunch of censors over there now so I'm out there.

Brewed a harvest ale last made with hops I grew myself. Next up a dark lager and a shwartzbeer.

Got a coffee stout, Old leghumper, and couple sodas on tap right now only two steps away from my ski tune bench.
    watch out for snakes

[quote=BigJay;2582777]
    Quote Originally Posted by hofman View Post

In Utah, it is/was (did they change the law yet?) to make your own beer. This obviously is not enforced since there are two homebrew shops in SLC proper.
    I know it was at one point illegal, not sure if it still is since there is a homebrew store on State St. in SLC. I used a place in OR last year when I lived there (a place in Eugene). I know they ship to anywhere and don't care about state laws. I plan on ordering from them.

[quote=SkiFreeor...;2584766]
    Quote Originally Posted by BigJay View Post

I know it was at one point illegal, not sure if it still is since there is a homebrew store on State St. in SLC. I used a place in OR last year when I lived there (a place in Eugene). I know they ship to anywhere and don't care about state laws. I plan on ordering from them.
    yes, legal in ut now.

any mags have a super hoppy recipe theyd mind sharing? Looking for a double IPA or something of the sort. Preferrably, relatively cheap. Made a hefe and Irish Red and I am totally addicted.
    "...but I come from no country, from no city, no tribe. I am the son of the road, my country is the caravan, my life the most unexpected of voyages".-Leo Africanus

Quote Originally Posted by The Kids Are Alright View Post
    any mags have a super hoppy recipe theyd mind sharing? Looking for a double IPA or something of the sort. Preferrably, relatively cheap. Made a hefe and Irish Red and I am totally addicted.
    IIPA ≠ cheap to make but it will be cheaper than buying 5 gallons worth at the store. Go over to homebrewtalk.com and look in their recipes section or just do a search in google. There are tons of recipe databases on the web.

-Pain McShlonkey

coolis homebrewtalk a good site for general recipes? Found some decent sites, but a little hesitant to try out some of them
    "...but I come from no country, from no city, no tribe. I am the son of the road, my country is the caravan, my life the most unexpected of voyages".-Leo Africanus

coolis homebrewtalk a good site for general recipes? Found some decent sites, but a little hesitant to try out some of them
    most of the stuff i've brewed recently has come off HBT and imo, has come out pretty well. go to the recipe database, and pick something that has 4 stars and/or a few pages of discussion. there's a pliny clone that has a ton of hops but like BJ said, will not be cheap. hops usually equal the most expensive brew ingredient (if you're going all grain).

A lot of the recipes over there are All Grain, but you can find some of the more popular ones in extract or partial mash. I wouldn't be hesitant about trying out some of the simpler recipes--the ones that call for weird adjuncts I would stay away from until you feel comfortable throwing them in your beer.

-Pain McShlonkey

definitely not sophisticated enough to go all grain, still trying to learn the ropes for sure. Just trying to get to the point where I dont actually have to buy beer anymore and just drink homebrew. So much better IMO. Cant beat the freshness Thanks for the tips

Quote Originally Posted by BigJay View Post
    IIPA ≠ cheap to make but it will be cheaper than buying 5 gallons worth at the store. Go over to homebrewtalk.com and look in their recipes section or just do a search in google. There are tons of recipe databases on the web.
    yup, my IIPA was almost $100. hops are not cheap.

HBT has some great recipes though. I've learned alot just based on the discussions around those recipes, why people are using what they are, etc.

We've won it. It's going to get better now. You can sort of tell these things.