Page 8 of 76 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by RedWolf View Post
    Bump 'cause I have my first batch in primary, and am quickly becoming hooked on this new hobby. Any tips for the new brewer? Good recipes, wise upgrades, any of that stuff?

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/

Anyone around here ever made a cider?
    made a few ciders. first time I used champagne yeast-turned out way too dry. bought cider yeast for subsequent batches-still dry, but better. I added some unfermentable sweetener (can't remember the name) during secondary.

Quote Originally Posted by criscam View Post
    Bump for not having to drink any more 3.2 on tap...

nice. I was looking at buying that exact same kit from keg connection. what kind of fridge is that, and how hard was it to set up?

x2 on the homebrew talk forums. I've learned a ton there.

We've won it. It's going to get better now. You can sort of tell these things.

Mr Worldwide - like Pitbull with a better vocabulary
    Quote Originally Posted by RedWolf View Post
    Bump for putting my brew into secondary today. Anyone around here ever made a cider?
    Quote Originally Posted by half-fast View Post
    made a few ciders. first time I used champagne yeast-turned out way too dry. bought cider yeast for subsequent batches-still dry, but better. I added some unfermentable sweetener (can't remember the name) during secondary.
    try montrachet wine yeast. havent used anything else so cant say if its any more or less dry. i have noticed some batches being more dry than others and the only factor is different apple juice.
    "Yeah, yeah. you buy Playboy for the articles just like I watch Brokeback Mountain for the scenery... wait, that doesnt work."

Quote Originally Posted by half-fast View Post
    cider & wheat yeasts are both less dry. just a couple lbs of light malt extract & another lb or so of wheat malt will really sweeten up the cider & even out the dryness while still letting the apple flavor come through.

We've won it. It's going to get better now. You can sort of tell these things.

Quote Originally Posted by Mathematics View Post
    nice. I was looking at buying that exact same kit from keg connection. what kind of fridge is that, and how hard was it to set up?

x2 on the homebrew talk forums. I've learned a ton there.
    kenmore chest freezer purchased from sears. bought a temp controller to convert it to a fridge. fits 4, 5 gallon kegs plus a 5lb CO2. pretty easy to set up. pm me if you need instructions.

How much do you drink while you brew?? I've found that an average extract with specialty grains batch takes me 2.5-3 hours from start to finish, and I usually end up drinking anywhere from 4-8 beers while I'm at it. Oh yea, and I usually brew (and therefore drink) alone cuz the wife has no interest. Does that make me an alcoholic?

***EDIT: Almost let the kettle boil over while writing this post... damn, that was a close one!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mathematics View Post
    BUMP

Just brewed some "pirate ale", recipe I found on HBT. Smells/tastes good so far, basically a coconut stout with some rum added @ bottling.

Anyone have a good partial mash imperial stout recipe?
    One week seems short for primary with that recipe.

Homebrewchef.com had a RIS recipe on his website I believe. If not the homebrew forum on BA is always pretty good.

Edit: bottle aging a coffee porter oG: 1.056/Final 1.012, Oktoberfest, and fermenting a Saison right now!
    I love fall.

Quote Originally Posted by petecz View Post
    For bulk grains, I only buy base malt in bulk. Everything else I keep only a few lbs around of. try to use them within 6 months and store them closed and out of the moisture and they do better. Stale malt tastes kinda soft rather than crisp. It'll still make beer but not as fresh tasting.

I use Crisp maris otter as my base malt for most ales and use Weyerman or Durst pils for german and belgian types. Bulk cuts price by about 50% if you aren't shipping the sacks and pick them up local.

The beer that just hit my fermentor on saturday afternoon was 12 lbs pale, 12 lb wheat, 0.5 carapils and 0.5 crystal 60. Sterling and willamette hops to 75 IBu. OG = 1.094 for 6 gallons. stylewise its a wheatwine. like barleywine but lots of wheat. I used english yeast for it - WY1028 for those who care. It should end at about 9-10%ABV. The yeast was out of my last batch of IPA so I had tons of it.

cheers.
    That recipe is monsterously yummy sounding. I wonder if the final really stayed at 9-10%?

Quote Originally Posted by trainnvain View Post
    One week seems short for primary with that recipe.

Homebrewchef.com had a RIS recipe on his website I believe. If not the homebrew forum on BA is always pretty good.

Edit: bottle aging a coffee porter oG: 1.056/Final 1.012, Oktoberfest, and fermenting a Saison right now!
    I love fall.
    I'm gonna assume your Oktoberfest is a lager? I had considered making one this season, but don't have the fridge space to lager right now and it seems like that's the only way to go for an authentic Oktoberfest... I've seen a couple of recipes for "Oktoberfest Ale's" but never actually tasted one. Anyone have any experience with this?

getting ready for the fall...

imperial stout, black stout, ipa, pale.

Brown sugar, yeast, 45 Gallon drum. All you need.

Quote Originally Posted by JayPowHound View Post
    I'm gonna assume your Oktoberfest is a lager? I had considered making one this season, but don't have the fridge space to lager right now and it seems like that's the only way to go for an authentic Oktoberfest... I've seen a couple of recipes for "Oktoberfest Ale's" but never actually tasted one. Anyone have any experience with this?
    experience with what? Lagering or making an Oktoberfest "ale"?

Ive not done the latter since it ddnt make sense...too many "fruit" undertones from the ale fermentation.

Lagering ive done. You can do it without a fridge, but fridge with an external temp gauge will be your best bet. Lagers like to be lowered slowly in temp so that the yeast can do its job. Takes a LOT longer, but boy is it worth.

tried a search for ipa (too short) and nothing for dogfish head which i just had for the first time. it is not available where i am, and its outrageously priced at $10 /12oz but it was the best ipa ive ever had.

any idea how to make it?

Hayduke Aug 7,1996 GS-Aug 26 2010
    HunterS March 17 09-Oct 24 14

adam is offline The Shred Pirate Roberts
    try searching "indian pale ale" first.

Quote Originally Posted by haydukelives View Post
    tried a search for ipa (too short) and nothing for dogfish head which i just had for the first time. it is not available where i am, and its outrageously priced at $10 /12oz but it was the best ipa ive ever had.

any idea how to make it?
    There are a bunch of recipes available. You could search "Dogfish Head 60 Min IPA Clone" or just click here or here. They also make a 90 minute and 120 minute IPA, I'm not sure which one you tried but you could search for clones of any of them..

Speaking of IPA's, I made and extract/specialty grains version with my own recipe that just took second place in the homebrew competition at the Topsfield Fair. I was trying to make something close to the Long Trail Traditional IPA, and ended up with a slightly darker, fuller bodied version that was overflowing with cascade flavor and aroma. Here's my recipe for anyone who's interested:

Ingredients:
    8oz. Dexterine
    8oz. Crystal 40
    6.6# Light LME
    3.25# Light DME
    1.5 oz Nugget for 90 min.
    2 oz Cascade for 20 min.
    2 oz Cascade for 10 min.
    2 oz Cascade for 1 min.
    2 oz Cascade Dry Hopped
    Irish Moss
    Wyeast 1292 American Ale II

Vitals
    OG: 1.067
    FG: 1.015
    ABV: 6.9%
    IBU: 69
    (i've considered bumping the OG a little bit and re-naming it something with the 69...)

I steeped the crystal and dexterine in 2 gal for 30 min, and then sparged it with 1.5 gal to reach 3.5 total. Boiled for 90 min, adding unbagged whole hops according to schedule with irish moss addition in the last 10 min. I left it in the primary for 11 days, then racked to secondary and added the dry-hops. After three weeks in secondary I bottled and was drinking them a week or two after that!

Speaking of IPA's, I made and extract/specialty grains version with my own recipe that just took second place in the homebrew competition at the Topsfield Fair. I was trying to make something close to the Long Trail Traditional IPA, and ended up with a slightly darker, fuller bodied version that was overflowing with cascade flavor and aroma. Here's my recipe for anyone who's interested:

Ingredients:
    8oz. Dexterine
    8oz. Crystal 40
    6.6# Light LME
    3.25# Light DME
    2 oz Cascade for 20 min.
    2 oz Cascade for 10 min.
    2 oz Cascade for 1 min.
    2 oz Cascade Dry Hopped
    Irish Moss

Vitals
    Holy Shit thats a lot of hops.

I love it.

I've got a chocolate stout and a Stone IPA clone fermenting right now. Probably will have a pale, amber, or brown coming up soon.
    Just ski down there and jump of a somethin' fer cryin' out loud!

-Pain McShlonkey

any idea how to make it?
    $10 for a 12oz has gotta be the 120 (if it was an ipa). there are a bunch of other df's it could be though if it wasn't an ipa. i brewed the df 60 recipe jph linked (from hbt) and it came out pretty well.
    for those that really like hops, try this one:

http://www.brew365.com/beer_pliny_the_elder.php

dry hopping in the secondary right now. hope it turns out decent cause it was damn expensive to brew

After browsing this thread...I now want to try this.

Need to convince the wife that I need another corner for brewing (since I have one corner for coffee roasting and one for skis)...oh, and a job to buy equipment.

Ingredients:
    8oz. Dexterine
    8oz. Crystal 40
    6.6# Light LME
    3.25# Light DME
    2 oz Cascade for 20 min.
    2 oz Cascade for 10 min.
    2 oz Cascade for 1 min.
    2 oz Cascade Dry Hopped
    Irish Moss

Vitals
    (i've considered bumping the OG a little bit and re-naming it something with the 69...)

I steeped the crystal and dexterine in 2 gal for 30 min, and then sparged it with 1.5 gal to reach 3.5 total. Boiled for 90 min, adding unbagged whole hops according to schedule with irish moss addition in the last 10 min. I left it in the primary for 11 days, then racked to secondary and added the dry-hops. After three weeks in secondary I bottled and was drinking them a week or two after that!

Posting the IBU of each hop (should be able to get this from hop supplier) would help as different years produce different bitterness units and there is a formula you can use to get the same ending IBU even if the hops are different starting IBUs. Helps when reproducing a batch years later when the hops are definitely not going to be the same.

Nice looking recipe though fo showa!

any idea how to make it?
    Read the ingredient list and you can just see the $$$ adding up.
    (NOTE: 10 gal recipe, as this recipe just isn't worth the hassle for 5 gallon):

http://www.homebrewchef.com/120minuteIPArecipe.html

Also read is experience making Saucerful of Secrets. REALLY good brew.

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    Posting the IBU of each hop (should be able to get this from hop supplier) would help as different years produce different bitterness units and there is a formula you can use to get the same ending IBU even if the hops are different starting IBUs. Helps when reproducing a batch years later when the hops are definitely not going to be the same.

Nice looking recipe though fo showa!
    Good point!! Here ya go:

Ingredients:
    8oz. Dexterine
    8oz. Crystal 40
    6.6# Light LME
    3.25# Light DME
    1.5 oz Nugget for 90 min. (14.6% Alpha, 41.7 IBU)
    2 oz Cascade for 20 min. (7.6% Alpha, 16.4 IBU)
    2 oz Cascade for 10 min. (7.6% Alpha, 9.8 IBU)
    2 oz Cascade for 1 min. (7.6% Alpha, 1.2 IBU)
    2 oz Cascade Dry Hopped (7.6% Alpha)
    Irish Moss

Vitals

Also wanted to share this, had one of these tonight and found the video pretty amusing...
    Last edited by JayPowHound; 09-26-2009 at 09:06 PM.

now that the cold weather has arrived its a lot easier to brew some good beer.
    I just brewed a clone of Dogfish head 90ipa ordered the supplies from Midwest supplies, it was posted through a link before but this is the extract recipe not all grain. they always try and hook people up and have good quality hops.

I posted the ingredients and recipe guidelines below.

Recipe Specifications
    --------------------------
    Batch Size: 5.00 gal
    Boil Size: 2.43 gal
    Estimated OG: 1.072 SG
    Estimated Color: 13.1 SRM
    Estimated IBU: 49.7 IBU
    Brewhouse Efficiency: - %
    Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
    ------------
    Amount Item Type % or IBU
    $14.50 + $9.00 9 lbs (6 lbs+3.3lbs) 14.4 oz Pale Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM) Extract 90.83 %
    $1.35 1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 9.17 %
    $2.00 1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (Dry Hop 3 days) Hops -
    $4.20 1.25 oz Warrior [15.00 %] (60 min) Hops 26.6 IBU
    $2.60 0.50 oz Simcoe [12.00 %] (Dry Hop 3 days) Hops -
    $2.00 1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (35 min) Hops 10.0 IBU
    $2.60 1.00 oz Simcoe [12.00 %] (30 min) Hops 13.1 IBU
    $38.25 Total Price less Shipping