Page 7 of 76 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by BigJay View Post
    How big?

i usually go around 1-2 pints w/ 1/2-1 cup DME. i just use a gallon glass jug with a #3? rubber stopper and a typical air lock.

maple nut brown = delicious. dunkel & scotch ale fermenting, hard apple cider just got bottled. I dig brewing. or. I dig having something good to drink regularly.

We've won it. It's going to get better now. You can sort of tell these things.

I am fermenting my first ever brew as I type. It is a kolsch, because someone told me it is an easy one to start with. 1 more day, then I'm bottling. I'm interested to see how it turns out.

Quote Originally Posted by Mathematics View Post
    bump

just moved my 2nd batch into a secondary carboy. a nut brown ale with maple syrup, dropped the syrup into the wort for the last 5 minutes, taste test today was pretty good....stoked to see what it finishes like.
    How much maple syrup did you use? I'm brewing up a nut brown this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by davieboot View Post
    I am fermenting my first ever brew as I type. It is a kolsch, because someone told me it is an easy one to start with. 1 more day, then I'm bottling. I'm interested to see how it turns out.
    Make sure that you know when to go to bottle. Take gravity samples three days in a row and when they read the same thing all three days fermentation is over. Home brewing is quite possibly the greatest hobby ever.
    Just ski down there and jump of a somethin' fer cryin' out loud!

-Pain McShlonkey

Mr Worldwide - like Pitbull with a better vocabulary
    there is nothing better than cracking homebrew on first chair on a ditch-work day...

I made some mead, 8 pounds of honey, a can of concentrated grape juice and champagne yeast. real simple, now I just have to wait for it to age.

Stuck in the Live Music Capital of the World
    Oatmeal stout.. brewed last weekend.

I'm planning on making a red tail ale clone this weekend. Just converted an old keg into a kettle so i can do all grain - although the red tail is going to be a full extract boil with specialty grains. Partial boils are the suck

Quote Originally Posted by BigJay View Post
    Make sure that you know when to go to bottle. Take gravity samples three days in a row and when they read the same thing all three days fermentation is over. Home brewing is quite possibly the greatest hobby ever.
    So my gravity isn't changing any more, but it is way higher than it is supposed to be. It started off just where I expected it, but it is only 2/3 the way to what I expected my final gravity to be. Should I keep fermenting? Bottle it and hope for the best?

This is my first brew, so I am not sure about the stuff that can go wrong. If it is contaminated, could the gravity end up too high?

So my gravity isn't changing any more, but it is way higher than it is supposed to be. It started off just where I expected it, but it is only 2/3 the way to what I expected my final gravity to be. Should I keep fermenting? Bottle it and hope for the best?

This is my first brew, so I am not sure about the stuff that can go wrong. If it is contaminated, could the gravity end up too high?
    how long has it been in the primary? I'd let it sit another week or two. in my experience the slightly yeasty flavor from letting it sit in the primary a long time is wayyyy preferable to the under-fermented twanginess.

Quote Originally Posted by frito bandito View Post
    How much maple syrup did you use? I'm brewing up a nut brown this weekend.
    I used 2 qts. has a slight sweetness to it...next time I'd either do one quart right as you take the flame off the wort, or 2 quarts thrown 10 minutes before you turn off the burner.

make sure you've got enough yeast on there too.

I has been in for 10 days, but it hasn't changed in the last 3 (since I've been checking it). I called a friend and he suggested giving it a little swirl to try to wake up some yeast. Now I am waiting again.

I has been in for 10 days, but it hasn't changed in the last 3 (since I've been checking it). I called a friend and he suggested giving it a little swirl to try to wake up some yeast. Now I am waiting again.
    10 days isnt that long. the guys in the brew club up here all go 3-2-1...3 weeks in primary, 2 in secondary, 1 after bottling. a couple dont even do secondarys, just 4-5 weeks in primary then bottle & let sit for a couple weeks.

either way, I'd let it sit for awhile.

Try swirling the carboy gently to roust the yeasties up again. Make sure you don't shake it and add oxygen into it (although it should be all CO2 in the carboy at this point). What is the temperature of the room? You could try to raise the temp and swirl the yeast back into the beer. Most ales want to be between 60 and 70 degrees. Don't rack it yet--just wait it out. You can get a lot more feedback at this website:

www.homebrewtalk.com

I can't explain how much information I have pulled from the people here.

-Pain McShlonkey

Quote Originally Posted by Mathematics View Post
    10 days isnt that long. the guys in the brew club up here all go 3-2-1...3 weeks in primary, 2 in secondary, 1 after bottling. a couple dont even do secondarys, just 4-5 weeks in primary then bottle & let sit for a couple weeks.

either way, I'd let it sit for awhile.
    interesting. I've always heard 1-2-3, as in 1 in primary, 2 secondary and at least 3 weeks in the bottle.

Seems like if you are going to leave it in primary that long why bother with secondary? Also- I would think that 1 week in bottles is pretty minimal to get good carbination.

Quote Originally Posted by nutcase View Post
    interesting. I've always heard 1-2-3, as in 1 in primary, 2 secondary and at least 3 weeks in the bottle.

Seems like if you are going to leave it in primary that long why bother with secondary? Also- I would think that 1 week in bottles is pretty minimal to get good carbination.
    I also have only heard of 1-2-3. I've tasted my beer 1 week after bottling and it usually doesn't taste very good.

-Pain McShlonkey

BUMP

Just brewed some "pirate ale", recipe I found on HBT. Smells/tastes good so far, basically a coconut stout with some rum added @ bottling.

Recipe Type: Partial Mash
    Yeast: Nottingham
    Batch Size (Gallons): 5 Gallon
    Original Gravity: 1.06
    Final Gravity: 1.01?
    Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
    Color: Dark
    Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 7 / 70
    Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 10 / 60

7 ½# Dark LME
    ½# Roasted Barley grain
    3/4# Black Patent Malt
    ½# Crystal Malt
    ½# Torified Wheat
    1 1/2 oz Northern Boiling Hops
    1 package of ale yeast.

Steep Grains to 165, Then remove and add LME, Bring to Boil. Add Hops for 60 minutes, cool and pitch yeast.
    Rack onto 3 cups grated Confectioners Coconut, and let it sit for 10 days. Be carefull to avoid the oil that will be on top of the beer when racking to bottle bucket.
    Bottle with 5 oz Priming sugar and 1 1/2 Litre of Rum. Appleton Estates.
    Anyone have a good partial mash imperial stout recipe?

Quote Originally Posted by nutcase View Post
    Also- I would think that 1 week in bottles is pretty minimal to get good carbination.
    ya I realized after I re-read this that I meant kegging/force-carbing, sorry for the confusion. for the darker stuff I normally brew 4-5 weeks in bottles is normal.

If any SLC mags want 330 beer bottles I am moving Thursday and need to get rid of them. I put them up for 85 bucks on KSL and craigslist just to see if any fish want to bite on it. I obviously would give them away for significantly less to anyone on here. Say a six'er? Or if you just want some of them that's cool too. PM me for details.

-Pain McShlonkey

I currently have a pale, IPA and amber bottled and ready to drink. In my primary I have a Left Hand Milk Stout clone (moving to secondary tomorrow). In my other primary I have a wheat. I just bottled a Magic Hat #9 clone so we'll see in a few weeks how that came out. I'm gonna brew something similar to Chimay tomorrow. That pirate ale looks interesting.

Bump for not having to drink any more 3.2 on tap...

Bump 'cause I have my first batch in primary, and am quickly becoming hooked on this new hobby. Any tips for the new brewer? Good recipes, wise upgrades, any of that stuff?

no beer here, but so far we have a Barolo in the carboy (just gone in) plus too many "test" batches of meads (1 gallon). Started a White chocolate white port and some white wine( I dont care for whites) we bottled the Amarone 4 weeks and have a orange port and cherry chocolate port on order. I think I counted 4 carboys on the go today not sure of what is in what but I know we always have enough wine and port for when friends come over
    "So what's a homeless instructor do? Teach people how to build houses outta cardboard boxes and build good trash fires?" - Phuckhuck

Bump for putting my brew into secondary today. Anyone around here ever made a cider?