Page 65 of 76 FirstFirst ... 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 ... LastLast
Results 1,601 to 1,625 of 1879
    Quote Originally Posted by Bean View Post
    The hops I grew at home made for a pretty bland APA, so I'm trying out dry hopping in the keg for the first time. I've got to try to brew up a few batches in the next week or so, I might not have time for a while.
    Homegrown hops in CO rarely have much flavor or alpha acids. Use a mesh bag and some pellets, maybe throw some grapefruit or orange zest in there too to flavor it up a bit.

I have grown hops in PA and CO and the hops in PA were a lot better. It just shows you how much climate plays a roll in growing things.

Quote Originally Posted by pbjclimber View Post
    I have grown hops in PA and CO and the hops in PA were a lot better. It just shows you how much climate plays a roll in growing things.
    Explains why Coors tastes like shit.
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    The Dunk'ale and the P'ales'ner went over well, along with seven other taps flowing at our backyard Oktoberfest last Saturday.

Attachment 188095
    Is that a young George HW Bush?

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    What type of cider are you looking to make? Dry? Sweet? Still or sparkling? A little more info would help.

Homebrewtalk.com has an entire cider forum if you want to go down that rabbit hole.
    I would like to try some dry cider.
    Also- my wife is from southwest England, and I would love to brew some scrumpy- as far as I can tell, a kind of rough cider.

I have looked at some of the brewing forums, and they are kind of mazes- hard to leave there with a clear plan.

Just looking to make a basic shopping list, and make my first attempt. I figure I'll build from there once I have a little perspective.

When I was a kid, we would dump some yeast and sugar in a big jug of apple cider and throw a balloon on top of it. Wait 1 month, and put it in the fridge and drink. Tasted awful, but got us buzzed and that's what is important when you are 12 or 13. We were also into making napalm, building forts, zip lines, punk rock, and skateboarding so basically it was just practice for when we were sent to prison.

Quote Originally Posted by shredgnar View Post
    Homegrown hops in CO rarely have much flavor or alpha acids. Use a mesh bag and some pellets, maybe throw some grapefruit or orange zest in there too to flavor it up a bit.
    Seems like it might not be worth it beyond the novelty. Any idea what the issue is that makes them that way? Temperature, moisture?
    "High risers are for people with fused ankles, jongs and dudes who are too fat to see their dick or touch their toes.
    Prove me wrong."
    -I've seen black diamonds!

throughpolarizedeyes.com

Seems like it might not be worth it beyond the novelty. Any idea what the issue is that makes them that way? Temperature, moisture?
    Temp, moisture, variety, soil, sunlight, mold resistance, insect resistance, etc. I don't know, many of the varieties from the farms have been cultivated over a few years. Some will sell you rhizomes which would give you a better chance at a useable variety. Do you know what variety you have?

Cascade, as far as I know. I might just uproot them or otherwise leave them for shade, a few ounces of hops isn't really worth the time and effort of harvesting for me.

Cascade, as far as I know. I might just uproot them or otherwise leave them for shade, a few ounces of hops isn't really worth the time and effort of harvesting for me.
    And it takes far more than just a few ounces to do anything. Wet hop weight is much different than pellet weight. You need at least a few lbs and supplement with pellets to get the desired effect.

Here's an example recipe for Comrade's wet hop superpower. Note there is 5 lbs of cascade on top of a shit load of pellets.
    https://beerandbrewing.com/Vfctsx0AA...wer-ipa-recipe

Man that's a lot of hops added during the boil... no wonder their beers are really bitter

Quote Originally Posted by shredgnar View Post
    And it takes far more than just a few ounces to do anything. Wet hop weight is much different than pellet weight. You need at least a few lbs and supplement with pellets to get the desired effect.

Here's an example recipe for Comrade's wet hop superpower. Note there is 5 lbs of cascade on top of a shit load of pellets.
    https://beerandbrewing.com/Vfctsx0AA...wer-ipa-recipe
    Nice of Comrade to post that recipe, I might give it a try sometime. And I guess I'll definitely never bother harvesting my hops at home any more, at least until I can get pounds out of it.
    "High risers are for people with fused ankles, jongs and dudes who are too fat to see their dick or touch their toes.
    Prove me wrong."

throughpolarizedeyes.com

I laughed when I found the can in a bottle shop in Portland, ME. I brewed the one on the right a while back.

Name:  ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1475529747.246857.jpg
Views: 211
Size:  376.1 KB

What % of the grist do y'all find works well for a rye IPA? I'm trying to think of a small test batch to do and that might fit the bill.
    Prove me wrong."

throughpolarizedeyes.com

Nice of Comrade to post that recipe, I might give it a try sometime. And I guess I'll definitely never bother harvesting my hops at home any more, at least until I can get pounds out of it.
    I've heard it takes a few years for them to build up the acid content. We did a 10 gallon centennial/MO Smash APA with some home grown hops. We used 2oz FWH, 2oz at about 10min and 2.5 at flame out. Should have upped those numbers by 50% (we had plenty) but what I got was still a bad ass beer. It was kinda bland coming out of the fermentor but 3.5oz per keg of dry hop pellets did wonders.

Did you dry your hops out and freeze them? Or did you just throw the fresh wet hops in?

What % of the grist do y'all find works well for a rye IPA? I'm trying to think of a small test batch to do and that might fit the bill.
    10-20% but you might use some rice hulls too. I've had a few 100% smashes with rye and they actually weren't bad. So there's your range.

The beer I posted had 16% rye with 2 row, victory, and some wheat making up the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by wasatchback View Post
    Did you dry your hops out and freeze them? Or did you just throw the fresh wet hops in?
    They were harvested and dried the week before brew day. I'm not sure how much we had left but I'm guessing he netted about 10-11 ounces after drying. We used 6.5, remainder are vacuum sealed and frozen.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20161002_172308.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	153.4 KB 
ID:	189352
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    Explains why Coors tastes like shit.

I'm planning a barleywine to barrel age for a while and then store long term (years+), and trying to decide on what specifically to make. Thoughts on how 3711 flavors would hold up over that much time or best to stick to a clean US yeast? How would a pinch of crystal malt hold up, or better to stay with just 2-row?
    Prove me wrong."

throughpolarizedeyes.com

2015 cider back on tap

Name:  ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1475799472.665993.jpg
Views: 309
Size:  287.3 KB

Name:  ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1475799484.313004.jpg
Views: 313
Size:  292.8 KB

I went a Rye IPA/Pale Ale kick last winter. I took a recipe that was supposed to be a clone of Sierra Nevada Ruthless Rye and tweaked form there. Rye ranged from about 6% to 18%, at the high end it was dominated by Rye, at the lower end you had to search for it, around 10% you could enjoy both the rye and hops.

Last edited by scottyb; 10-21-2016 at 07:05 AM.
    watch out for snakes

Name:	IMG_3418.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	1.09 MB 
ID:	190571

Name:	IMG_3415.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	858.8 KB 
ID:	190572

Don't know if there's a better spot to post but finished first sketch fermentor...tried to make the best of a broken larger fridge and a smaller functional one. <$35

Tried it out this summer, didn't cool past 80 when room temp was ~ 105 deg (attic room). Put the project on pause til now; with the colder temps arriving I think it should hold up better, figuring its easier to heat up than cool down.