Super stars at Squaw/ Squaw Valley - The First Fifty Years

Has anyone seen the video “Squaw Valley - The First Fifty Years” it must have some good stuff in it.

I not sure what others experiences are of skiing at squaw, but it has been a great April at Squaw and next week should bring more good times.

One of the coolest things about skiing there are all the super stars you can find if you look around. I try not to be star struck, but their all over the place; Kent Kreitler, Ingrid Backstrom, Shane McConkey, J.T. Holmes, etc., and in my view the greatest skiers to come out of Squaw Kevin Andrews, and Tom Day.
    Last edited by minddoc; 04-30-2006 at 01:15 AM.

Does it talk about the still-never-solved tram disaster?

Is it on DVD? Gotta link?
    Every man dies. Not every man lives.
    You don’t stop playing because you grow old; you grow old because you stop playing.

personally, i love seeing people like shane and JT on the mountian because i simply follow them to the best snow on the mountain, they always find the best conditions.
    Three fundamentals of every extreme skier, total disregard for personal saftey, amphetamines, and lots and lots of malt liquor......-jack handy

Quote Originally Posted by minddoc
    Ingrid Backstrom, Shane McConkey, J.T. Holmes, etc., and in my view the greatest skiers to come out of Squaw Kevin Andrews, and Tom Day.
    and dont forget our very own Alkasquawlik

"There's a racer kid from Squaw named Cody Townsend who is going to keep the old defintion alive. He is a bad ass. " -Kent Kreitler

Quote Originally Posted by P_McPoser
    Does it talk about the still-never-solved tram disaster?
    this made me chuckle a little
    Mom! The meatloaf! FUCK!.

I see it's on VHS but man, that's like having it on 8 track.

Tangential: Cody's and Shane's segment in MSP's HIT LIST.....
    You don’t stop playing because you grow old; you grow old because you stop playing.

Quote Originally Posted by hucksquaw

this made me chuckle a little

Didn't really make me chuckle because my Aunt and cousin were in it. They survived, but they were in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lane Meyer
    Didn't really make me chuckle because my Aunt and cousin were in it. They survived, but they were in it.
    I could never figure out how they can bring in that many experts and engineers and all they were ever able to conclude was basically:
    <shrug shoulders> I dunno... </shrug>

wow - crazy - glad they made it
    Mom! The meatloaf! FUCK!.

Yeah, they still live in Walnut Creek, and all the time I lived in Squaw, they would never come into the valley ever again....I can totally imagine why.

In the tram building, they have the new and old cables in a display case back around to the right when you walk in....we were told when we worked the tram that the accident was caused by a gust of wind that blew the car up and off the track ropes, causing the haul rope to come unstuck, thereby slicing through the car due to the incredible tension.....who knows if this is anywhere near the truth....terrible accident though.

Anyway, this thread is supposed to be about rippers over 50 the last 50 years there, including Cody - who deserves huge props for his skiing level lately.

Word. Sorry for cunting it up.

rippers over 50 the last 50 years there, including Cody - who deserves huge props for his skiing level lately.
    + 1 in a huge way

Quote Originally Posted by hucksquaw
    and dont forget our very own Alkasquawlik

"There's a racer kid from Squaw named Cody Townsend who is going to keep the old defintion alive. He is a bad ass. " -Kent Kreitler

There are tons of them out there, including Cody. However, I don't see him much/at all. Its also nice to see that those guys/gals don't get sick of skiing. I talked to a guy today who was there when they were filming HOT DOG the movie! Now that was history, most likely the best movie ever made...

Quote Originally Posted by minddoc
    There are tons of them out there, including Cody. However, I don't see him much/at all.
    He spends A LOT of time doing his hair, between runs. Check the bathrooms next time you go up there....

https://waynepoulsen.wordpress.com

P.S. That Townsend kid still has great hair. Did OK with the skiing stuff, too.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	poulsens-on-skis.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	1.67 MB 
ID:	352245  
    Last edited by fomofo; 12-10-2020 at 11:43 PM.

Toute Neiges, Tous Terrains

Lito Tejada-Flores, 50 or so years ago...

Name:  Lito - Squaw.jpg
Views: 843
Size:  39.7 KB

EDIT 07/17/22: This Warren Miller Film ( Any Snow, Any Mountain ) was available in its entirety on YouTube until recently on the Echoboom Sports channel, but I guess the relationship changed, and it's no longer accessible. Too bad, as the segment featuring Lito Tejada-Flores (and others) skiing Squaw is great. Worth a watch if you can find the film elsewhere.
    Last edited by fomofo; 07-17-2022 at 03:38 PM.

Allais was twice their age, with a mane of white hair and “bindings so loose that none of us would be able to make two turns without coming out.” As they quickly learned, their assumption could not be more incorrect.

“None of us will forget that day,” Dorworth noted in his essay. “That evening I wrote in my notebook: ‘Emile really blew us out today… On the first take he just smoked down the mountain doing fast, short turns in marginal snow, jumping off small cliffs and, in short, gettin’ it on. I was grinning (skiing last) and thinking, ‘You sly old fox, Émile.’ And we had to ski to keep up. I loved it.”

Squaw's French Connection

Nice clip from Warren Miller's 1984 film Ski Country featuring Tom Day, Dan Herby, Scot Schmidt, and Kevin Andrews.

https://warrenmiller.com/vimeo-video...y-squaw-valley

Quote Originally Posted by fomofo View Post

Allais was twice their age, with a mane of white hair and “bindings so loose that none of us would be able to make two turns without coming out.” As they quickly learned, their assumption could not be more incorrect.

“None of us will forget that day,” Dorworth noted in his essay. “That evening I wrote in my notebook: ‘Emile really blew us out today… On the first take he just smoked down the mountain doing fast, short turns in marginal snow, jumping off small cliffs and, in short, gettin’ it on. I was grinning (skiing last) and thinking, ‘You sly old fox, Émile.’ And we had to ski to keep up. I loved it.”

Squaw's French Connection
    I’m so glad guys stopped wearing stretch pants

And so happy when hot chicks still do
    . . .

1960 Winter Olympics Promo Film