Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Lyme Disease

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Well from my understanding a negative result is not to be trusted but a positive one is. As I had a positive test the second time around I've gotten the doxy and started it, 30 days is what they prescribed. I have also gotten some probiotics that I've started. I'm just glad I went back for the second test, I almost blew it off because of what I had read about the Babesiosis (apparently a lot of people have it without any symptoms and if you are symptomless they generally don't even treat it) and I wouldn't have had any idea I have teh lymez.
    Glad to hear you didn't blow it off.. Honestly, the whole thing is a fucking shitshow that you want no part of. There was a study done in GB a while ago where the guy took like 100 brain tissue samples from the cadavers of people who had been diagnosed with alzheimers or dementia, and something like 90% of them tested positive for bartonella or lyme. Too lazy to look it up now, but what I took from reading that is that if I, or a member of my family, gets bitten by a tick, we're doing 30 days of ABs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    Hugh Conway sucks
    Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    I guess stfu might be right about steel toed boots
    Quote Originally Posted by pedoherp69 View Post
    I know actual transpeople.
    Quote Originally Posted by rokjoxx View Post
    We is got a good military, maybe cause some kids get to shooting sports early here.

Well I'm glad I went to the doctor in the first place, I was really sick a few weeks back and decided to get the bloodwork done even though the Doc up in Mass. where I was and my own Doc at home both thought it sounded like a virus. But I was sick as a dog and figured it couldn't hurt to see. So going in the first place was big, and then going back was too. I should be in pretty good shape but it could have easily gone a very different direction.

Are you symptomatic? Feeling ok?

Yeah I feel pretty much fine, that's why I almost didn't go back to the Doc. A few days after we hung out I started to feel like the same shit I had before was coming back, but only for a day and then it faded away again. I was pretty surprised to hear that I'm sick when they called yesterday actually. At first I kinda doubted they were right but then my own doc got the lab report and he was like, yup.

ticks are some insidious little fuckers, and pack a mean punch.

I was never even aware of a tick being on me, which they say is very common. That, plus the very high rate of false negative tests, plus the fact that the disease often goes into "remission" - i.e. it's symptomless but it's still working away on your joints and nervous system the whole time - almost makes me think that everyone who spends much time outside should just undergo a course of antibiotics every so often just in case. I doubt any doctor would tell you that though and I'm sure there's good reasons not to do it but still.

Wow, dood. Heal up!

everyone who spends much time outside should just undergo a course of antibiotics every so often just in case. I doubt any doctor would tell you that though and I'm sure there's good reasons not to do it but still.
    imagine lyme being antibiotic resistant? you would be one sorry son of a bitch dragging ass for the rest of your life.

the kids freak when they find ticks on the dogs, but it's the tiny ones that you cant see that are the bad ones, you all know this of course.

Sorry to hear that, I've pulled a few deer ticks off me and usually do two things.

Go right to the ER, and get a cycle of antibiotics right away. Second step is to send the ticks to UMASS and have them test the ticks. The can tell you if the tick is actively feeding and if it carries the bacteria that causes lyme. It costs a few bucks but I like the piece of mind knowing that I do or do not have a chance of getting Lyme.

My dog got infected about 6 years ago and once in a while it does flare up and cause her some discomfort. A quick call to the vet and round of meds and she is usually back to herself in a day or two.

Good Luck

Heal up dude.

I can remember as a kid coming in and finding 12+ ticks (the big ones) in a ring around my waist. I hate the fuckers, big and especially small. I think the last time I saw one was last year crawling on my clothes, non this spring from hiking in NY or ME. Just hiked in VT yesterday and of course after reading this thread my skin is crawling....

I wonder how many of us have symptons (stiffness, headaches etc.) that are really a result of lyme disease and we have no idea? Is the diagnosis becoming more commmon because the medical worls is getting better at finding it?
    Quote Originally Posted by DoWork View Post
    We can tell you think you're awesome- it's pretty obvious. I love it when you try to convince us all too, It's like a tripped out Willy Wonka boat trip across the galaxy of fail you call an existence and it is indeed awesome to watch. I mean, your fail is so dense it has become a "black hole of fail" that has a gravitational pull strong enough to attract the fail of others, hence the "dating sucks" thread scenario.

Quote Originally Posted by krp8128 View Post
    I wonder how many of us have symptons (stiffness, headaches etc.) that are really a result of lyme disease and we have no idea? Is the diagnosis becoming more commmon because the medical worls is getting better at finding it?
    I've wondered about that too. It's just such a slippery slope since you can go in with the symptoms and come back with a negative test and think nothing of it and most people aren't going back for another test. However I think the number of people getting tested is also increasing, so that might explain why they are finding it more and more.

Lyme bump.

Joined the club after a 6 week romp in the alps (aus,swiz,italy,slovenia), sleeping in weird places and spending full days in the bush.

Realized that something was amiss after I left slovenia for italy. Got a weird influenza type of chills, felt a bit down and skin was super sore all over the body for few days.
    As a bonus left eye swelled almost shut. Got some allergy medicines and cortisone and didnt think more about it.
    When I got to poland few days later noticed that I had a small red dime sized rash in the forearm. Few days later it had changed to a small bullseye.

Got back home, trained normally but had this a bit under the weather vibe. Started to get weird allergic reactions towards mosquito stings and things like peas.
    BIG bumps, swollen lips. Like my immune system would have been working over time.
    One evening started to have this slight but weird "bubble" feeling, like I was not totally here.
    Did some mental tasks that should have been really easy but suddenly it took half a minute if I actually like blue more than grey. Hmm...
    Got to the doc and blood tests the next day. Doc measured the bullseye and said as it is not 5cm across and was only 3cm, she didnt think it was lyme.

Hmm..

After a one minute long laydown to her about where I have been and how well I know my own fucking body, things got rolling. Tests came back later 2 days and 30 minutes after getting them I was on 21 day course of amoxilin. Her explanation was that she initially thought "the bullseye" was too small. I was like "why the fuck didnt you even bother to ask where I have been, what symptoms I had had or where I HAD BEEN!"

Oh well.

The floggings will continue until morale improves.

That shit is in the Alps?!
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Something like 80% of people with lyme either don't get or never see a "bullseye" rash.

That shit sucked, I generally feel fine now but every once in a while I don't feel quite right and it makes me wonder if it's stlll lurking, which is possible for sure.

Something like 80% of people with lyme either don't get or never see a "bullseye" rash.

That shit sucked, I generally feel fine now but every once in a while I don't feel quite right and it makes me wonder if it's stlll lurking, which is possible for sure.
    there are some studies that suggest it hangs around in some organs and pops out during stressful situations.

i know i have flare ups sometimes

Live in a community were something like 1 in 25 children contract lyme. Maternal twins across the way... at 9yrs one contracts lyme. Completely different girls today. Substantial difference in growth and appearance.

Biggest fight on your hands will be what lasting effects you develop and the fight with your insurance company. Doctors are being hamstrung in their approach to fighting lyme. We have doctors leaving medical groups here because bureaucracy is hamstringing them from prescribing medications not classified to dispense to lyme patients.

I"m not up on the subject enough, but there is strong advocacy in Washington to help at the bullshit level.

http://www.lymediseaseassociation.org/

It changes peoples lives around here pretty regularly, some are flat out losing their fight with lyme. Everyone has become an expert in identification. Lyme is part of the health curriculum at the elementary and middle school levels.

I didn't do the epic read and I didn't read back this thread, but it is not to be taken lightly.

There are some seriously debilitating effects, some are or seem to be permanent as a result of lyme.

Flip that percentage, per the CDC:
    http://www.cdc.gov/lyme/signs_symptoms/
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Quote Originally Posted by LightRanger View Post
    Flip that percentage, per the CDC:
    http://www.cdc.gov/lyme/signs_symptoms/
    Interesting. I had heard different figures. First google hit shows a wide range of data and opinion, with the CDC at one end and a range of other studies along the spectrum: https://www.lymedisease.org/lymepoli...-from-27-80-2/

Yeah, CDC also doesn't recognize chronic lyme, so... I'm not saying take their word as gospel. Just more data points.

Can't remember if this was mentioned upthread, but Hopkins just set up a center to study lyme. Hopefully some good stuff comes out of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

one of my best friends mom went through that in WA. insurance said it wasn't possible, wouldn't cover anything. had to go to CA for treatment (I don't know specifics about that). she's a total loonie now, just a shell of herself. some fucked up stuff.

while this article focuses more on treatment of those who have not actually been confirmed as infected by lyme, I found it pretty informative:

http://www.nytimes.com/2001/06/17/ma...l?pagewanted=1

There's a lot of overlap between anti vaxxers and "chronic Lyme" communities. Most up to date research suggests Lyme is easy to treat, and doesn't come back or hide in deep reservoirs in the body. We don't know everything, though.

There is a small percentage of people who have persistent issues as a result of lyme-- even when they don't have the disease itself anymore. This is also true with the flu or other pathogens, mind you. Finally, if not treated in a timely manner, and you are unlucky, Lyme can be a damage done situation... you can treat the actual infection, but the damage done may not be reversible...save killing yourself via long course, picc administered antibiotics from a so-called lyme literate "doctor."

The autopsy evidence seems to indicate that once that shit locks on, you'll keep it for forever... Like luggage. (Thanks Eddie).

Probably explains the kids/car thing.
    Hugh Conway sucks
    We is got a good military, maybe cause some kids get to shooting sports early here.

The autopsy evidence does suggest it is way more common than previously thought (even though it was only recognized in the '70's it's probably been around forever), but I don't know whether or not it addresses the question of whether Lyme is still present post-treatment. That's a fairly select group: Lyme-positive, treated, found to be Lyme-free, then dead, then autopsied, I can't imagine the sample size is very big in any event.

^ yeah, not sure about that either.
    Hugh Conway sucks