Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Lyme Disease

Bump for the little fucker that got me.

PA heads word is the tiny fuckers are an all time high, be super vigilant in the woods.
    You're gonna stand there, owning a fireworks stand, and tell me you don't have no whistling bungholes, no spleen spliters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker donts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistling kitty chaser?

My kid came home from a trip to CT with a tick in tow. We pulled it, waited two weeks, and then started a 30 day cycle of amoxicillin. Didn't even bother with the blood test as it's never conclusive. Even getting a negative on the tick itself cannot be considered conclusive, and the worst cases of the disease are easily the ones where you don't get sick right away. No rash, no flu sympoms, etc, but in 10 years suddenly you've got serious nuerological symptoms. Apparently, there's an insanely high rate of correlation between carrier level lyme/bartonella infection and later onset of parkinsons or alzheimers. Definately nothing to be fucked around with and in my mind more than justifies the profilactic treatment approach.

fwiw, 2 tabs of 500mg doxycycline asap with a tick bite is as effective as longer term treatment later. when in doubt,do it.very little expense or side effect

Hayduke Aug 7,1996 GS-Aug 26 2010
    HunterS March 17 09-Oct 24 14

tis the season bump.

Found an extra fatty on my mutt, fckn nasty bitches. Biggest dog tick ever. Yuk.

An outlier, since we're in Washington on the cascade crest, but a western black-legged got the wife, classic bulls eye etc. 30 days of antibiotics. You're not totally safe west of the Rockies.

watch out for snakes

fuckin blows you can't even have a relaxing hike in the woods with the family anymore on a nice summer day - dog picked up lymes last month from it. don't even want to chance having the little guy in there now, not worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by cinnepa View Post
    fuckin blows you can't even have a relaxing hike in the woods with the family anymore on a nice summer day - dog picked up lymes last month from it. don't even want to chance having the little guy in there now, not worth it.
    It never got cold here so nothing died, so many people getting the Lyme. June to September woods are just off limits, soon everyone in PA will need to own chickens.
    You're gonna stand there, owning a fireworks stand, and tell me you don't have no whistling bungholes, no spleen spliters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker donts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistling kitty chaser?

http://www.resonantlight.com/

what the fuck is this?
    looking for a good book? check out mine! as fast as it is gone

Its been really bad here in NE, my poor dog is infected and has yearly flare-ups. Its sad b/c she really hasn't been "the same" since infection.

one thing you can do is send a tick you've pulled to UMass and they can test it for you. Twice now, I've found ticks on me. Step one is to head right to the ER, they don't mess around and get me on a cycle of something or other I can't remember and send me on my way. Step two is sending the ticks to UMass. they can tell you if the tick carries the bacteria that causes lyme and if the tick was actively feeding on you. usually get a response within a week, it helps for a piece of mind

http://extension.umass.edu/agricultu...se-diagnostics

Quote Originally Posted by stupendous man View Post
    http://www.resonantlight.com/

what the fuck is this?
    Its health technology that the government/chemical mafia has tried to keep away from the masses. Do a google search on Royal Rife.
    watch out for snakes

it's been mentioned to me enough that i figured why the fck not since i eat it all the time anyway...GARLIC. I've been dosing up the mutt with some minced garlic, he doesn't seem to care and gobbles it up with his food. Apparently it is supposed to be a serious hex for ticks and they will move along for mutts and humans.

Frontline and all that chemical dousing is like chemo before cancer imo, however the resident vets can most likely speak to that more thoroughly.

So there you have it fcks, GARLIC. ymmv.

Well, shit, just got a call from the Doc that I have Lyme. Weird thing is, I was tested for it a week prior and they said it was negative for Lyme but showed a low-level positive for Babesiosis (another tick-borne disease) so htey wanted to re-test me. Now on the re-test it's negative for the Babesiosis but positive for Lyme. I never had a tick bite that I was aware of and I feel fine at this point. Somewhat confused about what to do, they've prescribed 30 days of Doxycycline. I guess I'll just start taking it.

Do it. Check out Cirque's thread at epic.

The part that sucks is the tests have a high rate of incorrect results - especially early on. And by the time they get relatively accurate, things have generally progressed pretty far. You might have them do another draw and start the antibiotics right after that. Then see what comes back and discontinue if they are sure this was a false positive. . I know several folks who have truly suffered due to Lyme (one to the brink of death - not counting Cirque), so I'd bias toward the antibiotics personally...

Yeah I just exchanged emails with my Doc at home and he says go ahead and do it, so I'm gonna pick up the meds tonight.

I was kind of unaware that Epic still existed! I'll check the thread out, thanks.

For your convenience and crossover value...

http://www.epicski.com/t/120950/cirquerider-down

Some useful info (and the usual noise) if you slog through.

Serious stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by stfu&gbtw View Post
    ...No rash, no flu sympoms, etc, but in 10 years suddenly you've got serious nuerological symptoms. ...
    My cousin's wife is going through this. She's always been healthy and suddenly started having seizures and memory lapses. Not long after that severe fatigue. They live in Texas and the docs weren't sure what was wrong with her for several months 'til someone she was talking to said they had the same symptoms and it was Lyme. Went to another doctor who's now treating her for that. She's lethargic and really low energy all the time now but otherwise seems to be responding to treatment.

Scary shit. We have lots of ticks on the East side of the crest. I went hiking in sagebrush country a few years ago and ended pulling 89 ticks off of Jack. That's not a typo... And, I missed one and found it about two weeks later on the inside of his thigh, almost fully embedded. Doc ended up removing it and putting him on a 10 day antibiotic regimen. There were a few in my clothes after that but none actually bit me as I was hyper-vigilant once I realized how many were on him.
    ...Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain...

"I enjoy skinny skiing, bullfights on acid..." - Lacy Underalls

The problems we face will not be solved by the minds that created them.

Became an unfortunate member last month. Woke up one morning with the classic bullseye which widened in to that. No tick found. Went to docs, said that since we don't have the critter that it could have been a tick or possibly a spider bite. Started me on Doxy. Blood test came back negative. Said that I didn't need to continue. I'm worried about how many false negatives, it's almost a joke, came back the next week for another blood test. Came back positive. Finished a cycle of Amox. .... Told me to come back in 90 days for another test.... we'll see.

honeslty i would continue the treatment until its through. i would rather have the possible unnecessary antibiotics than deal with lyme again.

does anyone else have weird lyme symptoms pop up down the road after treatment. i had lyme like 5-6 years ago, and i still occaisonally get sporadic joint painand major fatigue pop up

You can get the rings/bullseyes from a lot of different insects. A couple years ago I was mowing the lawn and got stung (or bitten) by a yellow jacket on my ankle. A couple days later on vacation after swimming in the water I came out to a huge bullseye around the sting. Went to the doctors and they put me on the meds for a month to be safe. Apparently bees can carry Lyme or some of the other bacterias associated with Lyme (Anaplasmosis, Babesiosis, Ehrlichiosis, ect.).

Either way it's some scary shit

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Well, shit, just got a call from the Doc that I have Lyme. Weird thing is, I was tested for it a week prior and they said it was negative for Lyme but showed a low-level positive for Babesiosis (another tick-borne disease) so htey wanted to re-test me. Now on the re-test it's negative for the Babesiosis but positive for Lyme. I never had a tick bite that I was aware of and I feel fine at this point. Somewhat confused about what to do, they've prescribed 30 days of Doxycycline. I guess I'll just start taking it.

My dad had Bebesiosis which was pretty bad. He ended up in the hopsital on IV antibiotics for a week but made a full recovery. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by ncognico View Post
    There was pretty good article in a recent New Yorker on Lyme esp the chronic type. Weird/controversial science at present.

My mom just discovered a classic bullseye on her leg. No tick. Got on an antibiotics course within 24 hours. But now the question is whether to continue it for 2 weeks, 4 weeks (most likely), or maybe 8 weeks.
    I'm pretty sure a month is generally the most common period of time for the antibiotics. Not sure of any ill effects of staying on them for longer than that.

Make sure you take probiotics to help replace the good flora the antibiotics will kill off or your lower GI tract is not gonna be very happy.
    watch out for snakes

The tests for Lyme (and bartonella) are pointless. Unless you prefer to screw around with a dormant infection that may lead to serious and irreversible neurological symptoms that don't appear until several years from now, just go get the doxycycline and be done with it. If it's your child, skip the doxy and go with amoxycillin.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    Hugh Conway sucks
    Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    I guess stfu might be right about steel toed boots
    Quote Originally Posted by pedoherp69 View Post
    I know actual transpeople.
    Quote Originally Posted by rokjoxx View Post
    We is got a good military, maybe cause some kids get to shooting sports early here.

Well from my understanding a negative result is not to be trusted but a positive one is. As I had a positive test the second time around I've gotten the doxy and started it, 30 days is what they prescribed. I have also gotten some probiotics that I've started. I'm just glad I went back for the second test, I almost blew it off because of what I had read about the Babesiosis (apparently a lot of people have it without any symptoms and if you are symptomless they generally don't even treat it) and I wouldn't have had any idea I have teh lymez.