Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 234

Thread: Gas Prices

  1. #51
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Aspen
    Posts
    8,058
    Quote Originally Posted by skiaholik
    Summer = more people driving = increase in the demand for gasoline = rise in the price.
    True, but I believe the raise in price (during summers) has more to do with the chance to make more money than the fact the supply is being depleted.

  2. #52
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    P-tex, CA
    Posts
    8,294
    Quote Originally Posted by lemon boy
    I FUCKING HATE the stupid CC machines on the pumps b/c many/most of them have 50 or 75 dollar limits, at these prices hitting 75 per fill is easy for me and doing two transactions makes me angry beyond reason. DUMB.
    Put me on that list as well....I stay away from 76, and refuse return purchases to any other stations that do that. It's one of those little things in life that pisses you off for minimal reason.

  3. #53
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Powpow New Guinea
    Posts
    2,983
    Quote Originally Posted by 72Twenty
    Good thing I still have my old rollerblades.
    Fruitboots are not the answer to high gas prices.

  4. #54
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Uptown
    Posts
    6,214
    Just hit 3.29 for regular and 3.59 for premium here. No road trips for me.
    Living vicariously through myself.

  5. #55
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    WYO
    Posts
    9,742
    Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey
    thank god my boss is paying for boat gas this summer!

    (2.90ish in Juneau)
    Well no shit. That's becasue you are going to be WORKING ON THE BOAT. That would be like my boss making me pay for the ink we use in our printing press becasue I work here.

    "Have fun, get a flyrod, and give the worm dunkers the finger when you start double hauling." ~Lumpy

  6. #56
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    写道
    Posts
    12,082
    Quote Originally Posted by elevens
    Does anybody here (old farts like me) remember the odd/even days during the Carter years? The Iran hostage situation created some long fun waits at the gas pump that summer.
    Back when your choices were: Ethyl, Premium, and Regular? Nope, I'm not that old.

    Bodhi- No, I don't surf, but it's something I need to try, like skiing when I moved to Oregon. When are you next down? First things first, can you even afford to drive?
    Last edited by Viva; 04-19-2006 at 03:58 PM.
    ˇÓrale, vato!

  7. #57
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    SLC
    Posts
    1,353
    Quote Originally Posted by Telenater
    Remember US demand is the primary force that lets gas companies charge what they want. Reduce the demand, and the price increases will follow.

    Next time you see someone getting low milage in their vehicle or making unneccessary trips thank them for increasing your prices too.

    Why yes, I have been commuting to work by bicycle this week..... 15 miles each way, and it feels good (and only takes about 10 minutes longer than driving).
    Ya, you're right but it sounds like you're putting all the blame on the consumer. I think the consumers should first demand better legislation to baby sit these huge oil corporations who are clearly pulling the wool over our eyes. And they should have to pay for it as well since they brought it on themselves. Hopefully Americans will finally get off their ass's and demand their government representatives to do something about it.

    But can we trust the government? Obviously not... but I feel the winds of change.

    edit - I believe you meant "decreases" and not "increases" right?
    Last edited by flabango; 04-19-2006 at 03:57 PM.

  8. #58
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    8,921
    Quote Originally Posted by lemon boy
    Just a rant:

    I FUCKING HATE the stupid CC machines on the pumps b/c many/most of them have 50 or 75 dollar limits, at these prices hitting 75 per fill is easy for me and doing two transactions makes me angry beyond reason. DUMB.
    My understanding is that it is the credit card companies requirements for a signature on purchases over $xx amount. Also happens at grocery store/home depot self checkout lines.
    Elvis has left the building

  9. #59
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    On your left
    Posts
    1,229
    Quote Originally Posted by 72Twenty
    Good thing I still have my old rollerblades.
    It must have been a difficult conversation - telling your father that you are GAY!
    why make ten turns when you only need to make NONE!

  10. #60
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    8,640
    Quote Originally Posted by homerjay
    Fruitboots are not the answer to high gas prices.
    I don't think fruitboots are the answer to anything really.

  11. #61
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Warm, Flat and Dry
    Posts
    3,308
    Quote Originally Posted by flabango
    Ya, you're right but it sounds like you're putting all the blame on the consumer. I think the consumers should first demand better legislation to baby sit these huge oil corporations who are clearly pulling the wool over our eyes. And they should have to pay for it as well since they brought it on themselves. Hopefully Americans will finally get off their ass's and demand their government representatives to do something about it.

    But can we trust the government? Obviously not... but I feel the winds of change.
    Exactly, I don't trust the government to make a fundamental change in the system, so I choose to take the actions that I can. If consumers change their habits then the rest will probably fall into line (or at least we'll be a fitter and less air polluted society).
    "if the city is visibly one of humankind's greatest achievements, its uncontrolled evolution also can lead to desecration of both nature and the human spirit."
    -- Melvin G. Marcus 1979

  12. #62
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    WYO
    Posts
    9,742
    That's it. I'm converting to scientology.
    "Have fun, get a flyrod, and give the worm dunkers the finger when you start double hauling." ~Lumpy

  13. #63
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Alco-Hall of Fame
    Posts
    3,054
    Quote Originally Posted by cj001f
    My understanding is that it is the credit card companies requirements for a signature on purchases over $xx amount. Also happens at grocery store/home depot self checkout lines.
    it is stupid though at the gas station cause if I need the extra it will authorize an identical purchase immediately afterwards. At least the limits should go up with gas prices do. Once it hits this level I can clear $100 easy.
    "It is not the result that counts! It is not the result but the spirit! Not what - but how. Not what has been attained - but at what price.
    - A. Solzhenitsyn

  14. #64
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Aspen
    Posts
    8,058
    Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum
    I don't think fruitboots are the answer to anything really.

    Except the question "what can instantly make someone turn into a homo."

    They are definitely the answer to that.

  15. #65
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    121 msl
    Posts
    2,583
    Quote Originally Posted by elevens
    Does anybody here (old farts like me) remember the odd/even days during the Carter years? The Iran hostage situation created some long fun waits at the gas pump that summer.

    peddle power is cheaper than petro

    Oh yeah. i have always been a high mileage driver. Back then, I was doing around 40,000 in a company car. I spent half the week waiting to fill up and the other half burning it.


    Now, I have a VW Jetta TDI. 50 mpg highway. I just filled up for 2.74 per in NJ. God bless Joisey

  16. #66
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    8,921
    Quote Originally Posted by lemon boy
    it is stupid though at the gas station cause if I need the extra it will authorize an identical purchase immediately afterwards. At least the limits should go up with gas prices do. Once it hits this level I can clear $100 easy.
    Oh, I agree with you it's stupid. Here in SoCal we have to enter our zip at the pumps and show IDs for msot transactions. All feeds into to my rant about the bloody stupid antifraud policies of credit/debit card companies - like WAMU, who stopped me from withdrawing NZ$40 at an ATM "because it was possibly fraudulent"
    Elvis has left the building

  17. #67
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Aspen
    Posts
    8,058
    Quote Originally Posted by mrw
    Oh yeah. i have always been a high mileage driver. Back then, I was doing around 40,000 in a company car. I spent half the week waiting to fill up and the other half burning it.


    Now, I have a VW Jetta TDI. 50 mpg highway. I just filled up for 2.74 per in NJ. God bless Joisey
    I'd give up my WRX if I could find a reliable AWD diesel or hyrbid wagon that would get over 30 mpg. Does such a thing exist yet in the US?

  18. #68
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    mammoth lakes, CA
    Posts
    635

    yeah

    3.09 for regular here in Rivertucky. blech.

    At least its DST time again so I can start riding my bike to work on the days that I don't have night classes. :-/

  19. #69
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Alco-Hall of Fame
    Posts
    3,054
    Quote Originally Posted by funkendrenchman
    I'd give up my WRX if I could find a reliable AWD diesel or hyrbid wagon that would get over 30 mpg. Does such a thing exist yet in the US?
    No

    CJ- Yeah, I made the mistake of making a couple of fucking phone calls and got my CC on fraud hold AFTER telling the bastards I'd be in NZ although they didn't have any trouble with my purchases in Russia. CC companies are hard to get ahold of from out of the country, especially if you can't use the CC as a calling card
    "It is not the result that counts! It is not the result but the spirit! Not what - but how. Not what has been attained - but at what price.
    - A. Solzhenitsyn

  20. #70
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    8200 S.
    Posts
    1,283
    A few words of advice:

    Invest in Oil and Gas companies! These companies are making record profits. Grab a good bit of change while it lasts!

  21. #71
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    SLC
    Posts
    1,353
    Quote Originally Posted by Telenater
    Exactly, I don't trust the government to make a fundamental change in the system, so I choose to take the actions that I can. If consumers change their habits then the rest will probably fall into line (or at least we'll be a fitter and less air polluted society).
    I just don't see the average consumer willing to change their habits enough to really make a difference. Maybe in the long term but not in the short term (5-15 years). Plus, the oil companies will just find some other way to screw us and recoup their money.

  22. #72
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    LA, CA
    Posts
    16
    3.60 in the desert. 2.80-2.90 in la and surrounding area for regular. they dropped the prices when their profits came out. then just inched them back up there. Bastards. That's my i have a motorcycle that and the traffic out here.

  23. #73
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    somewhere near The People's Republic
    Posts
    790
    Quote Originally Posted by elevens
    Does anybody here (old farts like me) remember the odd/even days during the Carter years? The Iran hostage situation created some long fun waits at the gas pump that summer.

    peddle power is cheaper than petro
    oh yeah. wasn't that the same period when it first went over a buck (gasp)

    sounds like we may end up permanently over $3.00 soon.

  24. #74
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Boulder
    Posts
    651
    Honda Accord ain't lookin so bad now man.

  25. #75
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    8,640
    Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum
    I don't think fruitboots are the answer to anything really.

    Quote Originally Posted by funkendrenchman
    Except the question "what can instantly make someone turn into a homo."

    They are definitely the answer to that.


    Quote Originally Posted by 72Twenty
    That's it. I'm converting to scientology.
    So you want to start eating placentas?

    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=51617

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •